Latest PSU headlines:

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Windows 8 -IS- a problem..

Yesterday we had reported why Valve engineer Drew Bliss prefers Linux over Windows 8. Today we have another industry personality defending Gabe Newell’s comments about Windows 8, when he said that ’Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space‘.

Now Alen Ladavac from CroTeam, developers of Serious Sam 3, has defended Gabe Newell’s comments (via ubuntuvibes). He believes that Gabe did not overreact when he passed on his feedback about Windows 8.
    “Gabe Newel did not overreact. What you don’t see here is that, under the hood, the new tiled UI is a means for Microsoft to lock Windows applications into a walled garden, much like the one on iOS. There is this “small detail” that Microsoft is not advertising anywhere, but you can find it dug deep in the developer documentation,” he posted on Steam’s forums.

He too criticized Windows 8 where no one can release an application unless they are routed through the Windows Store. He calls it a horrible idea.

“One cannot release a tiled UI application by any other means, but only through Windows Store!”
    “I cannot even begin to stress out just how horrible this idea is! There is no side-loading, except for corporate use inside one company, and that works only on the enterprise edition of Windows 8. Do we all understand what that means? You cannot download an application from the Internet and run it on your computer. You have to get it from Microsoft’s store. Even if it is a free app!”

He also believes that the removal of the Start menu is way to force users to get used to the titled UI.
    “Now, while in current state Windows 8 do look like they support plain desktop apps seamlessly, the removal of start menu and use of “charms” even on the desktop looks like a pretty blunt attempt to force users to “get used” to the tiled UI. It would be fine by me if it wasn’t for the aforementioned certification issue.”

What do you guys think about the developer’s stance against Windows 8? Do you guys think it will affect the future of PC gaming? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

~ http://gamingbolt.com/serious-sam-3-...t-on-windows-8

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    If they ever release full functionality and full library of Steam games for Ubuntu, then I'm switching.

For now, I'm sticking with 7 despite them prettying up the OS on 8.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    If they ever release full functionality and full library of Steam games for Ubuntu, then I'm switching.

For now, I'm sticking with 7 despite them prettying up the OS on 8.
    I think you speak for yourself, me and many others when you say that. Gaming is the only reason i still have Windows 7 installed. Admittedly, W7 is a damn good OS.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I think you speak for yourself, me and many others when you say that. Gaming is the only reason i still have Windows 7 installed. Admittedly, W7 is a damn good OS.
    lol when I say what? What did I say that was so 'controversial'?
    Last edited by Admartian; 11-06-2012 at 21:37.

Ultimate Veteran
    The impression I get from Windows 8 is that the OS is a closed system which is not how a PC should operate. That said, I'm sticking with Windows 7.

6. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Ive heard a lot of buzz of Microsoft paying developers to make 'Windows 8 only' compatible games.. My opinion of Microsoft has always been low. But Im with admartian if Ubuntu gains dev support Ill jump the window 7 ship. With my job I received a free copy of Window8 but will probably never install it.
    Six Years With PSU!~ Favourite Games of all Time~ Smash Bros, Spyro, GTA series and Elder Scrolls Series
    Add me on PSN FOXY007 OR Steam psn_foxy007
    My Hardware~ Sony Bravia 240hz 3D 40".. Ps3 Slim250gig and Sony Bravia Surround Sound 5.1
    PC- i7 3930k|gtx670|8g ram|2T HDD|Bluray disc drive

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I'm sticking with W7, it does all that I want and I don't like the look of W8.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Sage

lol when I say what? What did I say that was so 'controversial'?
    Switching to Ubuntu as soon as the full library is supported. Or at least most of my titles. My bad, wasn't clear

BBK. Tapatalking

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Justgetting my head around Win7 no way changing this early stage to win8.

Most Quake games have a Mac and Linux version since they use OGL anyway. I think prior to Quake 4 the linux versions are ports done by the community I had Quake 2 working on my PS3 thanks to those Linux boffins.

Linux is cool and all but its not as acessible as Windows or even Mac.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-07-2012 at 03:59.

Forum Sage
    Umm, it's pretty clear.

Metro programs/apps are only found in the Windows store. Traditional windows apps will continue to be sold on retail shelves and non MS online retailers.

All these people are overreacting so much.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    They know thta but what they are pointing out is that to create a Metro app it has to be on the metro store and be OKayed by Microsoft and if hey do not like it, it doesn't go on.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    They know thta but what they are pointing out is that to create a Metro app it has to be on the metro store and be OKayed by Microsoft and if hey do not like it, it doesn't go on.
    Yeah, that's what I said. But these guys don't make those types of apps/programs. So why are they so worried about it?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I wont be upgrading if it aint broke dont fix it and 7 does what I need

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Switching to Ubuntu as soon as the full library is supported. Or at least most of my titles. My bad, wasn't clear

BBK. Tapatalking
    Fair enough. Honestly, I will probably just dualboot Win7 with Ubuntu if/when Steam gets full access to the library.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'll stay with Windows 7.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Linux is cool and all but its not as acessible as Windows or even Mac.
    In the past maybe but nowadays Linux is easier to install that Windows (not that Windows is hard anyway) and it has a lot more customisable options than Windows could ever have and it's all at the click of a mouse button. I'll be switching to Linux Mint when the majority of the library works on it.

18. Likes Admartian likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I said. But these guys don't make those types of apps/programs. So why are they so worried about it?

Because of what this represents for future OS iterations. It's a paradigm shift, one that could lead software distributors and platforms out in the cold. Microsoft is positioning itself as the sole gatekeeper for windows- not overnight with Windows 8, but the future is looking considerably close garden.

Regardless of Valve's obvious stake in this matter, these types of systems are only really good for one party: The OS maker. It's bad for software developers of all stripes, and consumers will have to pay the cost of compliance and certification.

20. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Because of what this represents for future OS iterations. It's a paradigm shift, one that could lead software distributors and platforms out in the cold. Microsoft is positioning itself as the sole gatekeeper for windows- not overnight with Windows 8, but the future is looking considerably close garden.

Regardless of Valve's obvious stake in this matter, these types of systems are only really good for one party: The OS maker. It's bad for software developers of all stripes, and consumers will have to pay the cost of compliance and certification.
    Microsoft is not apple. They know that keeping their platform fairly accessible/open is a good thing.

What Microsoft is doing with metro is necessary if they want it to succeed. Otherwise they cannot guarantee a level of quality and performance which would sink that part of the platform.

Also you are acting like they cannot open up the system to 3rd party stores as time goes by.

This really isn't any different than what Apple did with the Mac app store or MS did with the XBL marketplace.

Seriously Valve doesn't even have a case, they didn't even wait to see what happens. I think they are just using this as an excuse to push their agenda.

Super Elite
    I use it, I think it is a good piece of software, not as good as 7 though.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Microsoft is not apple. They know that keeping their platform fairly accessible/open is a good thing.
    I think the problem is that it is looking like that it is turning that way. Maybe it's not to that point just yet - but it certainly is trending that way - at a worrying rate.

Forum Sage
    I think the problem is that it is looking like that it is turning that way. Maybe it's not to that point just yet - but it certainly is trending that way - at a worrying rate.
    Blame apple and google then. MS was the last to jump on this bandwagon.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Blame apple and google then. MS was the last to jump on this bandwagon.
    What have either of them got to do with it? Not like they had a gun to MS head.

"Make it more closed - or else!" *un-clicks safety of the gun*

Thread Information