Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Nvidia delivers huge performance boost

For linux gamers.

I really should buy an Nvidia card next time.

NVIDIA today announced the latest NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ drivers -- R310 -- double the performance(1) and dramatically reduce game loading times for those gaming on the Linux operating system.

The result of almost a year of development by NVIDIA, Valve and other game developers, the new GeForce R310 drivers are designed to give GeForce customers the best possible Linux-based PC gaming experience -- and showcase the enormous potential of the world's biggest open-source operating system.

Available for download at www.geforce.com, the new R310 drivers were also thoroughly tested with Steam for Linux, the extension of Valve's phenomenally popular Steam gaming platform that officially opened to gamers starting today.

"With this release, NVIDIA has managed to increase the overall gaming performance under Linux," said Doug Lombardi, vice president of marketing at Valve. "NVIDIA took an unquestioned leadership position developing R310 drivers with us and other studios to provide an absolutely unequalled solution for Linux gamers."

The R310 drivers support the newest GeForce GTX 600 series GPUs, which have redefined gaming for desktop and notebook PCs by combining revolutionary performance and gaming technology features with an incredibly power-efficient design. Gamers with previous generation GeForce GPUs, including the 8800 GT and above, are encouraged to download these new drivers as well.

For an up-to-date third-party listing of games and applications that are currently in development for Linux, visit the Marlamin site.

For more information on how GeForce GTX GPUs are dramatically changing the way games are played and experienced on Linux, visit www.geforce.com. For more NVIDIA news, company and product information, videos, images and other information, visit the NVIDIA newsroom. The NVIDIA Flickr page hosts the entire lineup of GeForce product photos.

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Release...aming-8ac.aspx

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    It's the one of two reasons why I have always stuck with Nvidia, they simply want to make the entertainment industry work across all platforms and efficiently plus their graphics chips just work straight out of the box. They really do know how to make drivers and I am getting the feeling that I will soon be ditching Windows for Linux when Steam starts picking up, that would mean that I would purely use Windows for only development work - having said that Maya works under Linux, maybe I might switch from Max, hmm.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    In terms of raw power AMD and Nvidia are close contenders each giving as good as they get and beating each other when they release a new generation card but Nvidia has always had far superior drivers and of course OpenGL support
    Last edited by keefy; 11-07-2012 at 20:55.

Apprentice
    Yup, thank you once again Nvidia!

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" with the MATE 1.6 desktop environment.
    Long live the Penguin!

Dedicated Member
    I've always gone with Nvidia. Never had any problems with support. I like how certain games are optimized and you can check it on their website. Also to check if your card can play the newest games
    Six Years With PSU!~ Favourite Games of all Time~ Smash Bros, Spyro, GTA series and Elder Scrolls Series
    Add me on PSN FOXY007 OR Steam psn_foxy007
    My Hardware~ Sony Bravia 240hz 3D 40".. Ps3 Slim250gig and Sony Bravia Surround Sound 5.1
    PC- i7 3930k|gtx670|8g ram|2T HDD|Bluray disc drive

Thread Information