Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Colorado Springs 2nd Grader Dressed As Martin Luther King, Jr. gets in trouble!

A Colorado Springs second-grader at Meridian Ranch Elementary school found himself in hot water Wednesday when he was pulled out of class for dressing like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. while also wearing black face paint.

KRDO first reported that Sean King dressed up as MLK, Jr. for a school project. The boy's mother told KRDO that it was "wax museum day" for the second grade class and that each child was assigned a historical figure to dress up as.

King showed up for school on Wednesday doing a Martin Luther King impersonation, wearing a black suit, tie, mustache and black face paint -- his parents were with him, as were all the students' parents, to watch the day's presentation. But before things could get started, the school's principal told the second-grader that he needed to wash his face, according to KWGN, leaving Sean confused.

"They thought it was inappropriate and it will be disrespectful to black people and I say it's not," young Sean said to KRDO. "I like black people. It's just a costume and I don't want to insult anybody."

Stephanie Meredith, a spokesperson for the school's principal, said that it wasn't just the school's staff that was offended by Sean's face paint, it was other students as well. So the principal took action, 7News reports. The NAACP has also come out in support of of the principal's actions.

But some people thought that school went too far with the second-grader. Some even took to Meridian Ranch Elementary's Facebook page in support of Sean. Bill Stevens wrote:

I really would like an honest answer to why a young man was told to remove his make up portraying Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for his presentation. It seems school districts today are just a bit over zealous when it comes to racial correctness. If this young man wasn't disrespecting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or his audience then why would you do something like this? This is what causes racial division in our country today. Why not taking more of an interest in what students are trying to convey instead of hamstringing then when they thought was correct. I'm interested in your response.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1524237.html

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Lol I'd say something funny but I'll keep it to myself.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Lol I'd say something funny but I'll keep it to myself.

Sharing is caring!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    KRDO first reported that Sean King dressed up as MLK, Jr. for a school project. The boy's mother told KRDO that it was "wax museum day" for the second grade class and that each child was assigned a historical figure to dress up as.
    Then do not assign a WHITE kid a BLACK/AFRICAN figure.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    What is he supposed to do?

Hello Dave!

6. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I guess a faculty member found it offensive from what was reported. I wouldn't done the same thing but my kid would be a little darker than a white kid lol I wouldn't have to paint him lmao

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran
    Items FuturamaLinuxBlizzardUser name style
    This is just retarded. Stupid hicks.
    2010 Lethal's FF League Champion

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    What's wrong with that?. He's expressing his respect to one of America's iconic figures.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I don't honestly know if it was innocent or racist....at first I'm like nah he's just a kid however his dad painted his face and they are in colorado and I've personally be there and was the blackest person there lmao so idk....

Had this happened in Sanford Fl then my first reaction would be its racist cause I know sanford not minority friendly lol

It can be debatable for either side.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Meanwhile in America...

Veteran
    Items FuturamaLinuxBlizzardUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    I don't honestly know if it was innocent or racist....at first I'm like nah he's just a kid however his dad painted his face and they are in colorado and I've personally be there and was the blackest person there lmao so idk....

Had this happened in Sanford Fl then my first reaction would be its racist cause I know sanford not minority friendly lol

It can be debatable for either side.
    I don't see how this can be considered raciest in any way. Regardless of the location, this kid wasn't doing anything wrong. He pretty much just put extra effort to make his presentation better. If anything he should be applauded not kicked out of the $#@!ing school and called a racist. It's just retarded to say this was racist in any way because he wasn't doing anything racist, when did painting your face black become a racist thing?
    2010 Lethal's FF League Champion

13. Likes Leviticus likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Guys, I want to dress like Biggie Smalls. I'm already a fat $#@!, but I'm white. Should I smear some black paint over my face? LOLOLOL

15. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    It's a dark day in school... this kid could have just thought first and did this never

His parents had to have known, what the reaction was going to be
    Last edited by claud3; 11-07-2012 at 11:51.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by bash View Post
    I don't see how this can be considered raciest in any way. Regardless of the location, this kid wasn't doing anything wrong. He pretty much just put extra effort to make his presentation better. If anything he should be applauded not kicked out of the $#@!ing school and called a racist. It's just retarded to say this was racist in any way because he wasn't doing anything racist, when did painting your face black become a racist thing?
    Yes the location plays a factor. Now was the 2nd grader being racist absolutely not however how about the father that painted his face? I wouldn't send my kid to school like that. How about if my kid was dark skinned and I painted his skin white so he could give a presentation on JFK white people wouldn't get bothered by that?

Then again most white people wouldn't know what racism feels like when your on the other end so I wouldn't expect any of my white friends to understand. I would love for any white person to go to a majority black or minority presentation trying to represent a black person by painting their face black and see how many people you offend. If your not racist you don't see color you can do MLK with just a suit and mustache and not paint your skin brown. That's retarded

Like I said both sides could be argued I'm personally neutral with this situation.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I love that show!!! Lmao

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Yes the location plays a factor. Now was the 2nd grader being racist absolutely not however how about the father that painted his face? I wouldn't send my kid to school like that. How about if my kid was dark skinned and I painted his skin white so he could give a presentation on JFK white people wouldn't get bothered by that?

Then again most white people wouldn't know what racism feels like when your on the other end so I wouldn't expect any of my white friends to understand. I would love for any white person to go to a majority black or minority presentation trying to represent a black person by painting their face black and see how many people you offend. If your not racist you don't see color you can do MLK with just a suit and mustache and not paint your skin brown. That's retarded

Like I said both sides could be argued I'm personally neutral with this situation.
    No. Whites can't proudly say that they're white without being criticized, ridiculed and whatnot. I've been in such situations so many times by take a guess?: African Americans who for some reason have this imaginary vendetta against whites while shedding crocodile tears about a past they never experienced(What's ironic is that they're taking Martin Luther King Jr's efforts for granted). Latinos and Asians are also among the masses. One wrong word, just one and you're racist, what the hell?. You really need to open your eyes to reality here. It doesn't matter your color, we all get affected by racism.

As for an African American painting himself white, ever watched the Chappelle show?.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Look upon it this way

It makes no difference if it's a white kid or white adult, the end result is a situation where it should have not happened

We can beat around the Bush or just accept the fact, this is not the first and will not be the last

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU

Colorado Springs 2nd Grader Dressed As Martin Luther King, Jr. gets in trouble!

Chappelle did that intentionally. I'm sure white people got offended about it too lol...

I can't honestly sit here and say your wrong about white people not being able to say loud and proud I'm white. I believe white people started racism anyways so that's just something you would have to deal with as a white person.

That's just my view same way I just have to deal with my older white neighbors assuming I was a drug deal when I moved into the new house since I have a nice car and dress up.

Its just how $#@! is, opinions are like assholes we all got one. Lmao
    Last edited by DeviousOne; 11-07-2012 at 15:50.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Chappelle did that intentionally and its a different forum in regards. I'm sure white people got offended about it lol...

I can't honestly sit here and say your wrong about white people not being able to say loud and proud I'm white. I believe white people started racism anyways so that's just something you would have to deal with as a white person.

That's just my view same way I just have to deal with my older white neighbors assuming I was a drug deal when I moved into the new house since I have a nice car and dress up.

Its just how $#@! is, opinions are like assholes we all got one. Lmao
    Go to any country in the world and you'll see racism. White's didn't start it, it's been that way for as long as humanity existed. I won't deny the fact that whites in the United States acted inhuman for a long time(Heck, there are many who still have such mentality) but to inherit the actions of our ancestors and have the "Racist card" used against us for whatever reason is unfair.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I'm only speaking in regards to the US...I haven't lived in any other parts of the world just visit so I can speak on that.

Any racial tension here was started by white people. However I don't agree with minorities that still bring $#@! up that we never been thru as a reason to hate white people that's just $#@!ing stupid.

If I don't like someone its not because your black white purple or green its because your a stupid asshole and you can be any color to qualify lmao

Thing about the south is people have this view that there is a lot of racism here but in all honesty its not people are just open about it lol and I like it that way

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Racism exists no matter how you sugar coat it.... we live with it day in day out

It's part of life and always will be

Does not matter what ethic background you are from. Their will be people in the world fear of color and beliefs and the way people look, act, are and above all Just plain odd

We should accept color and all who live on this planet... because we all live here and must get a long
    Last edited by claud3; 11-07-2012 at 17:14.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I think I'll go as 2pac for halloween next year.

27. Likes Beast of Bourbon likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    The face paint just looks $#@!ty, but there's really nothing offensive about this. This is entirely a non-issue.

Elite Member

So, you're judging their intentions by their location and color of their skin?

That is, dare I say, RACIST.

How would that be any different from a white person looking at you and saying you're black and live in Orlando so you are probably a gang banger?

It really isn't any different at all, is it?

Thread Information