Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Puerto Rico wants to become the 51st state of the US

Voters in Puerto Rico have supported a non-binding referendum to become a full US state.

The measure will require approval from the US Congress, but President Barack Obama has said he will respect the vote.

The island is currently a US territory, which uses the dollar and whose citizens travel on US passports.

But it does not return senators to the US Congress and is represented in Washington by a non-voting delegate.

Almost 80% of the island's electorate took part in the referendum, the fourth in the past 45 years.

With almost all the votes counted, almost 54% voted to change the island's relationship with the US.

And in reply to a second question on what future they favoured, nearly two-thirds wanted full statehood.

If Congress grants its approval, Puerto Ricans would have the right to vote in all US elections, but would also have to pay federal taxes, something at present they are excused from.

Continue reading the main story
    Puerto Rico

In 1898 the Spanish lost the Caribbean Island at the end of the Spanish-American war and it came under US control
    In 1917 its people became US citizens - they are allowed to serve in the military but still do not have the right to vote in US presidential elections
    The country is a self-governing territory of the US but the US Congress and the president have ultimate control, providing social services, foreign policy and defence
    They have a congressional representative who does not have voting rights
    Becoming a state would see the Puerto Ricans having to pay federal taxes - currently they are exempt - but they would have the same rights as those on the mainland
    Puerto Rico profile
    The island came under US control in 1898 when Spain lost the island at the end of the Spanish-American war.

Ties were strengthened in 1917 when Puerto Ricans became US citizens and were allowed to serve in the military.

'No other option'
    There are now almost a million more Puerto Ricans in the US than on the island.

Supreme Court judge Sonia Sotomayor, singer Jennifer Lopez and the former jazz musician Tito Puente are all of Puerto Rican descent, though all three were born in New York.

Ties between the island and the mainland are strong and many on the island considered it inevitable that a full union be requested.

A young voter in the capital San Juan, Jerome Lefebre, said: "Puerto Rico has to be a state. There is no other option.

"We're doing okay, but we could do better. We would receive more benefits, a lot more financial help."

But that opinion was rejected by Ramon Lopez de Azua: "Puerto Rico's problem is not its political status.

"I think that the United States is the best country in the world, but I am Puerto Rican first."

The island has been hit hard by the current recession - it has debts of $68bn (42bn) and unemployment is more than 13%.

President Barack Obama, who visited the island last year, has said he will respect the will of Puerto Ricans if there is a clear majority.

Any change would require approval by the US Congress, but no territory has ever been denied a petition for admission to the States.
    BBC

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    "We're doing okay, but we could do better. We would receive more benefits, a lot more financial help."

That says it all. Keep 'em out please.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I don't know but I don't think it should be totally taken off the table. Puerto Ricans have made important contributions to our nation and it shouldn't be forgotten.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I don't know but I don't think it should be totally taken off the table. Puerto Ricans have made important contributions to our nation and it shouldn't be forgotten.
    Our nation has been giving them plenty for almost a hundred years. They get enough now. Countless countries have made important contributions to our nation.. want all them too? ffs.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Our nation has been giving them plenty for almost a hundred years. They get enough now. Countless countries have made important contributions to our nation.. want all them too? ffs.
    Curious as a Puerto Rican what the US has been giving the island?

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Curious as a Puerto Rican what the US has been giving the island?
    First, read the OP... second, google. There are plenty of benefits this Nation extends to a non-state.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I read it I'm asking you since you seem to be fully aware of the whole situation and how being a territory benefits PR more than other territories of the US?

PR's government has been a joke for years and dug themselves into a huge whole being a state is the only way in their eyes to get back afloat. Its embarrassing as a native to see how $#@!ty of a job your homeland does with managing their government especially when your educated and have ties there. Of course this is my personal opinion.

I think the US shouldn't let PR be a state. There are a lot of benefits of not being a state and being a territory had they had the right people in government they couldve taken advantage now they are just trying to get saved. I seriously feel bad for anyone that has to live on that island and deal with the bull$#@!.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    I read it I'm asking you since you seem to be fully aware of the whole situation and how being a territory benefits PR more than other territories of the US?

PR's government has been a joke for years and dug themselves into a huge whole being a state is the only way in their eyes to get back afloat. Its embarrassing as a native to see how $#@!ty of a job your homeland does with managing their government especially when your educated and have ties there. Of course this is my personal opinion.

I think the US shouldn't let PR be a state. There are a lot of benefits of not being a state and being a territory had they had the right people in government they couldve taken advantage now they are just trying to get saved. I seriously feel bad for anyone that has to live on that island and deal with the bull$#@!.
    You definitely wouldn't want our federal government in there lol. Becoming a state won't do jack to help you get a better "state" government. Our state and federal government(s) are as screwed as PR's.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Good I have always said they should become a state or cut them off.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    You definitely wouldn't want our federal government in there lol. Becoming a state won't do jack to help you get a better "state" government. Our state and federal government(s) are as screwed as PR's.
    Sir I assure you its not lmao...however I don't feel the US should bail them out of the mess they maid themselves I mean they are US citizens so if life sucks there come to america. Because their government is looking to be bailed out.

They need to fix there $#@! on their own and stop playing victim when they did this to themselves...

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R;5940425[B
    ]Our nation has been giving them plenty for almost a hundred years[/B]. They get enough now. Countless countries have made important contributions to our nation.. want all them too? ffs.
    And they have given to our nation also. They have fought right along beside us in the name of freedom and liberty, and it goes back a long way and it's still happening today. There is much more they can contribute to our nation. It will be totally up to the people of PR if they choose statehood or not.
    You talk as though its a foreign nation or some third world country. It is a U.S. commonwealth.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    And they have given to our nation also. They have fought right along beside us in the name of freedom and liberty, and it goes back a long way and it's still happening today. There is much more they can contribute to our nation. It will be totally up to the people of PR if they choose statehood or not.
    You talk as though its a foreign nation or some third world country. It is a U.S. commonwealth.
    I doubt it. Fought beside us in the name of freedom and liberty? lol. Ok.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    HIS GRANDSON COULD BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF AMERICA

Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    I doubt it. Fought beside us in the name of freedom and liberty? lol. Ok.
    Yes they did. Puerto Ricans have always answered the call and contributed to defending our nation dating back to WWI. There are millions of U.S. citizens of PR that aren't allowed to participate in their democratic process. It's not right.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Then they need to fix what isn't right... not as a state though.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    This...

I have high ranked military friends from west pointe that are PR so we have fought for this country I mean we are citizens but that doesn't mean because of that the island should be a state.

Its just politics and the PR government $#@!ing themselves over lol its like every 4 years this topic comes up...

But making PR a state at this would just be more of a burden but if it would benefit the US as a whole then I would be all for it however that's not the case

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    If you fight for it, then you are part of it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    So many good Beastie Boys song opportunities cropping up in this thread. Won't post them due to the "seriousness" of the thread...

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Sage
    I agree. That's why i said it shouldn't be completely taken off the table. I was mainly responding to this.

Our nation has been giving them plenty for almost a hundred years. They get enough now.
    It goes both ways on that.

"We've always been a land of varied cultural backgrounds and origins and we believe firmly that our strength is our diversity. There is muchPuerto Ricolace can contribute to our nation which is why I personally favor Statehood. We hope you will join us."

-
    -President Ronald Reagan

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I agree. That's why i said it shouldn't be completely taken off the table. I was mainly responding to this.

It goes both ways on that.

"We've always been a land of varied cultural backgrounds and origins and we believe firmly that our strength is our diversity. There is muchPuerto Ricolace can contribute to our nation which is why I personally favor Statehood. We hope you will join us."

-
    -President Ronald Reagan

That was yesterday...

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    That was yesterday...
    But I thought Reagan was the Republican deity? (I'm solely going off on Jack Donaghy and other TV republican caricatures )

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Just let it be what it is

They get it, they get it

And

If not, then they just have to deal with it

Forum Sage
    That was yesterday...

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    But I thought Reagan was the Republican deity? (I'm solely going off on Jack Donaghy and other TV republican caricatures )
    Oh you have to forgive him. He doesn't follow politics and doesn't know the difference between a republican and GOP.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    There would certainly be a lot of new flags that would need to be made.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    There would certainly be a lot of new flags that would need to be made.
    Our flag already flies on Puerto Rico's capital.

Thread Information