Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Consistency gives me a hard on, literally. I need/desire to see that too.

You don't say?

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Are all the reviews going to be in a single thread?

In my reviews, I make sure I talk about the basics. Giving each category a grade from 1-10

Story
    Gameplay
    Sound
    Graphics
    Controls
    Multiplayer
    Overall

I like to end with a Pros and Cons of said game. And pictures are a must.
    I really like this system. I would personally opt for your standard college grading system of letter grades (denoting a pass/fail for each of the sections above - but also ranking on ho well they may have passed).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I really like this system. I would personally opt for your standard college grading system of letter grades (denoting a pass/fail for each of the sections above - but also ranking on ho well they may have passed).
    If you guys want to go the route of rating by set categories, IGN's old system would be the best option...

Again, forcing every game to be rated on Story and Multiplayer doesn't make sense.

Also, having an entire category for Controls is unnecessary. Just include that in Gameplay.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    If you guys want to go the route of rating by set categories, IGN's old system would be the best option...

Again, forcing every game to be rated on Story and Multiplayer doesn't make sense.

Also, having an entire category for Controls is unnecessary. Just include that in Gameplay.
    Agreed. Maybe we can agree to either disregard those sections or merge them into a section which isn't rated, but is touched upon.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Dedicated Member
    What user review section?
    There used to be a stickied thread ages back with everyones reviews in.

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...DATED-18-6-09*

You even had your own sub section as you'd written so many!

THe layout Deadpool used or the format used in current magazines would work

Credit to THUGGEDOUT for the Sig

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Agreed. Maybe we can agree to either disregard those sections or merge them into a section which isn't rated, but is touched upon.
    COMPLETELY off topic, but I would love it if your av had "you're pretty good" in it lol.

Awesome ideas guys. This weekend I'll review all of this again and try and amalgamate it, then we'll see if people agree with the first format draft.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I might have a problem with most Multiplayers that I won't touch on. If I feel like the campaign side of the game is adequate enough for a review, can I skip the multiplayers?.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    I might have a problem with most Multiplayers that I won't touch on. If I feel like the campaign side of the game is adequate enough for a review, can I skip the multiplayers?.
    I don't want these reviews to be a pain in the ass for anyone, not even 1%. I mean, ideally, MP should be covered, but no one should have to spend time on MP just for the review if they don't find it fun. People can always chime in on your reviews thread with their own ideas. It's also possible that others will do their own review on the game and may cover it.

/€0.02

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I don't want these reviews to be a pain in the ass for anyone, not even 1%. I mean, ideally, MP should be covered, but no one should have to spend time on MP just for the review if they don't find it fun. People can always chime in on your reviews thread with their own ideas. It's also possible that others will do their own review on the game and may cover it.

/0.02
    The majority of the games I play are rentals so with the ridiculous online passes major third party publishers and Sony forces on their games, it will be difficult to give a full review of a game supporting multiplayer.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    The majority of the games I play are rentals so with the ridiculous online passes major third party publishers and Sony forces on their games, it will be difficult to give a full review of a game supporting multiplayer.
    Haha Well that pretty much spells it out. If you are renting the game, you can't review that portion.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Ghost, take your time. I got a really bad history of buying games PSU members give good reviews for (Sometimes I hated Lethal and Deadpool )

But seriously, as someone who wont be writing any reviews due to my garbage vocab and writing skills. Something close to how Lethal writes his reviews would be best. At the very list a pro/con list, and Lethals stamp of approval system should be mandatory across reviews.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I feel ghostie and the team will get a system that will work for everyone looking forward to this come to life

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Are all the reviews going to be in a single thread?

In my reviews, I make sure I talk about the basics. Giving each category a grade from 1-10

Story
    Gameplay
    Sound
    Graphics
    Controls
    Multiplayer
    Overall

I like to end with a Pros and Cons of said game. And pictures are a must.
    This is much like the setup for the review thread i started. The thread for the most part did not pan out the way i thought it would. There are some great ideas in here. As some stated one thread is a bad idea that is one of the biggest flaws my thread had need a dedicated section. It just made it to hard to find anything. I personally like the 1-10 rating system. This is a very mobile idea and hopefully it would it wonderfully. I will post any ideas i think of think of .
    Last edited by PS4freak; 11-10-2012 at 19:14.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Obviously score, with Pro's and cons listen would be effective.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Ok so I went through and had a look at what has been put forth here and so far I have the following:

Intro
    Story
    Gameplay/Controls
    Graphics
    Sound
    Multiplayer
    Conclusion

+/- for overall (but could also be done for each category for the hardcore reviewers!)

Number rating out of 10. Mr Ixion posted this in another thread:

1 = Laughable

2 = Terrible

3 = Poor

4 = Substandard

5 = Mediocre

6 = Decent

7 = Good

8 = Great

9 = Fantastic

10 = Legendary

I think this gives a pretty clear picture. So this,so far, is the format, in its first draft. Any comments, alterations or agreement please!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Perhaps I'm on crazy pills, but I just don't see why Story and Multiplayer are standard categories. Not every video game has those.

Story should be changed to Presentation, and Multiplayer should be changed to Lasting Appeal or Value.

You guys can do what you want, but those are just my thoughts.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Perhaps I'm on crazy pills, but I just don't see why Story and Multiplayer are standard categories. Not every video game has those.

Story should be changed to Presentation, and Multiplayer should be changed to Lasting Appeal or Value.

Out of curiosity, what game have you played recently that had no story?

As far as multiplayer is concerned, it can be a N/A for games that don't have it, but that is very few games these days.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

If it doesn't have them, then it isn't required to rate the game based on that. When it has the story and/or MP, then you rate those aspects based on the content provided. I wouldn't rate a game down a notch because it doesn't have a story, or because it doesn't even have MP. If it has either, then you rate those aspects based on how they are done. They both can be added into the "presentation" and "replay value, etc"... they will affect how those two categories are described. Presentation isn't really about the story itself, which SHOULD be described and reviewed on how well the characters are developed, etc. The same with the MP, with modes, options, etc.
    Last edited by F34R; 11-15-2012 at 15:02.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Out of curiosity, what game have you played recently that had no story?
    Sports games, music games, party games, etc. And those are just a few examples.

As far as multiplayer is concerned, it can be a N/A for games that don't have it, but that is very few games these days.
    If you want to make this standard as clean as possible, then having multiplayer as a category wouldn't help. It's not something that must be a part of a piece of interactive entertainment. Just like the story.

IGN's five categories (Presentation, Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Lasting Appeal) cover everything and include the story and multiplayer if they're present.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If it doesn't have them, then it isn't required to rate the game based on that. When it has the story and/or MP, then you rate those aspects based on the content provided. I wouldn't rate a game down a notch because it doesn't have a story, or because it doesn't even have MP. If it has either, then you rate those aspects based on how they are done. They both can be added into the "presentation" and "replay value, etc"... they will affect how those two categories are described. Presentation isn't really about the story itself, which SHOULD be described and reviewed on how well the characters are developed, etc. The same with the MP, with modes, options, etc.
    Bingo.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder

I think the reviews should be whatever the reviewer feel is necessary. If the game has a deep story, then they should rate the story on what they have played so far. I try to hit as much detail in my reviews as I can. To give enough without spoiling the game, but just enough to help members decide if the game is right for them.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The review should include actually reviewing a story section, MP section; but doesn't necessarily need a section/category to separate that from the rest of the review. If those two aren't present, then it will basically be just saying, "There isn't any story driven gameplay, rather the game sets specific goals to move forward..." Something along those lines when it comes to there being an actual plot, MP, etc.

I wouldn't do wall of text reviewing the story.. just basic principles of the story, and how well or poor those principles are brought into the game. The same goes with MP.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Sometime early next week, I am going to be doing my in depth Wii U review. I will show you fools how a review should be done!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Guys, the story falls under 'Presentation'. You can write three pages on the story if you want, but there wouldn't be a category solely for it. The story, as well as other presentation aspects, would be discussed in the category.

I'm assuming you guys want to be able to have a rating solely for the story if it's present? Is that the issue?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Guys, the story falls under 'Presentation'. You can write three pages on the story if you want, but there wouldn't be a category solely for it. The story, as well as other presentation aspects, would be discussed in the category.

I'm assuming you guys want to be able to have a rating solely for the story if it's present? Is that the issue?

When I hear "Presentation", I think of menu, options, hud overlay. Things like that. How the game is actually being presented to you as you start playing.

But I might just be the only one that thinks that lol
    Last edited by Lethal; 11-15-2012 at 15:33.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Sometime early next week, I am going to be doing my in depth Wii U review. I will show you fools how a review should be done!
    I'll do one as well, and show you up lol. I've been holding back so you wouldn't feel too bad. Now, you'll be outdone by the TBI guy.

When I hear "Presentation", I think of menu, options, hud overlay. Things like that. How the game is actually being presented to you as you start playing.

But I might just be the only one that thinks that lol
    You both are spot on. It can go either way.

Thread Information