Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Square Enix reports 42m loss

Final Fantasy publisher Square Enix has told investors it may announce a loss of about 42 million when it reports on trading for the first half of its financial year.

[Update: Square Enix on Tuesday reported a net loss of 42,730,000]

The group forecasts sales of about 475 million (it's currently tracking 450m), but it expects to report a significant loss when factoring in operating expenses, softness in HD game sales and punishing exchange rates.

As well as a weakened arcade business in Japan, Square Enix admits that "sales of a major HD game title have been growing at a slower pace than expected".

[Update: Square Enix on Tuesday said Sleeping Dogs shipped 1,510,000 copies in the six months ended September 30.]

Though the company did not specify which game, its biggest release this year was the new IPSleeping Dogs, a title which stood atop the UK charts for a number of weeks and, during August, was the best-selling game in the US with 172,000 copies shifted.

Square Enix expects its full year profit to come in at about 27 million.

Source
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Time to consider that highly requested FFVIIR... ?!?!?! Even if it was just for Vita/3DS

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Wow...everyone is losing money well except activision they are getting PAID right now

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ancient
    I find it funny how really successful companies who use to release exclusively for one platform or release mostly exclusively are now losing so much money in the multiplatform arena, even though going multiplatform was to make more money
    SE aren't the only ones

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler

5. Likes Zswordsman, D3seeker, AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I find it funny how really successful companies who use to release exclusively for one platform or release mostly exclusively are now losing so much money in the multiplatform arena, even though going multiplatform was to make more money
    SE aren't the only ones
    Operating costs.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    SE aren't the only ones
    Yep, this is why the Yakuza series for example only release on one platform, games like those wouldn't benefit from having a 360 release and would probably end up losing more from porting costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Good. $#@! SE. I want FF13vs damn it.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

9. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Maybe they should put more effort into their in-house HD games and make those better and release the games fans want to see.

As far as stuff like Sleeping Dogs goes with SE publishing, those games are usually good

Ultimate Veteran
    They should probably cut back on the number of games they announce.

12. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Veteran
    SE aren't the only ones
    Even more alarming when they bought out other developers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Superior Member

No FFvsXIII or FF Tactics 2 or a new game in the Chrono series so... F em'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

15. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I wonder if their loses has something to do with their investments into next generation?. So far, Eidos has generated quality titles(Well, except Kane&Lynch) - if they keep this up, they can definitely continue their success but I really do want them to finally get their internal studios restructured so that they can pull out the games many of us want.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    I wonder if their loses has something to do with their investments into next generation?. So far, Eidos has generated quality titles(Well, except Kane&Lynch) - if they keep this up, they can definitely continue their success but I really do want them to finally get their internal studios restructured so that they can pull out the games many of us want.
    Idk bro if that was the cause I would think they would mention it somewhere.

I know ea has said they have money put away for the next gen I can't remember the amount.

If I had to guess since I don't work for them lol I would say they set higher goals down the line and have consistently missed them bring them to this loss.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Idk bro if that was the cause I would think they would mention it somewhere.

I know ea has said they have money put away for the next gen I can't remember the amount.

If I had to guess since I don't work for them lol I would say they set higher goals down the line and have consistently missed them bring them to this loss.
    Square Enix has revealed their next-gen engine along with a long term deal with Epic Games to use their Unreal Engine 4. So it's a no-brainer that they're investing in next generation gaming but the question is how much is it both costing them and the quantity of titles being planned.

This industry has always been secretive so it's normal for them not to announce anything.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Square Enix has revealed their next-gen engine along with a long term deal with Epic Games to use their Unreal Engine 4. So it's a no-brainer that they're investing in next generation gaming but the question is how much is it both costing them and the quantity of titles being planned.

This industry has always been secretive so it's normal for them not to announce anything.
    We don't get the truth until $#@! hits the fan. Lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    time to disappear into the night, that's what releasing unfinished games (Infinite undiscovery, Last remnant), and killing game license (FFXIII, FFXIII 2) deserves

21. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I think they need to re-evaluate what made Final Fantasy so great in the first place. Final Fantasy VII was damn near perfect and they seemed to keep taking away what was great with each new release. It does not even feel like Final Fantasy anymore. I think they need to bring back the materia system, and the turn based battle system. I used to get excited for FF games, now I just get my body ready for disappointment.

23. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    usually this type of thing happens when a company is out of touch from it's gamers. they made a really successful game or at least a few since the PS1 and then they decided to run off the beatin path thinking that their name will drive sales, FF13 as well as their continued mistake of 13-2 is pretty clear.

almost seems like someone on the inside is purposely sabotaging SE. to be really honest, they shouldn't even be in this position but yet they keep on trying to push the same formula and they never learn their lessons, ever. SE & and their failed stubborness could cause a shutdown if they keep on acting stupid and stay out of touch from their gamers.

Also, this company lost a lot of support from their fanbase and SE treated the Playstation fanbase like complete $#@!. they lied to them, they keep on pushing things farther out their. I honestly believe that FF versus doesn't exist. Square/Enix is a good example of what Developers shouldn't do.

25. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    Wow that must hurt epic failure
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

Dedicated Member

Nah, their losses are MUCH easier to explain than that.

Name the major game that Square/Enix has released in the US adn Europe this year.

You can't make a profit if you aren't releasing any games. No sales = no profits.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Nah, their losses are MUCH easier to explain than that.

Name the major game that Square/Enix has released in the US adn Europe this year.

You can't make a profit if you aren't releasing any games. No sales = no profits.
    This...

Where is MY Type-0???
    The only friggin title, other than VS, that looked remotely good, IMO, since the good old days of SquareSoft!!!

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Super Elite

They need to start putting out good games again. I've got Final Fantasy 13-2 but I got the collector's edition on clearance from Amazon for $22. 13 itself wasn't that great, I wasn't going to pay full price for this one. Lets bring back some quality games. Trying to westernize your JRPG? Forget it.

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm slowly losing interest in Final Fantasy Versus XIII but only because Nomura and his team haven't shown us anything for a while. Otherwise, I'm really interested in seeing what Hiroyuki Ito and his team are doing with Final Fantasy XV.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-12-2012 at 21:17.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I'm slowly losing interest in Final Fantasy Versus XIII but only because Nomura and his team haven't shown us anything for a while. Otherwise, I'm really interested in seeing what Hiroyuki Ito and his team are doing with Final Fantasy XV.
    It's looked like vaporware for a while now though they claim it's not. At this rate (if it actually comes out) it might as well be on PS4! Clearly something's going wrong with management or development over there. Most game companies would just kill the project.

32. Likes Bigdoggy , DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Square Enix is still making bank on FFXI i think.

Thread Information