Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    post processing AA offers similar results as regular MSAA. there'll be no such thing as jaggies come next gen as the performance loss is only a couple of fps

Post process AA FTW!

I don't see jaggies in recent games now (since all are using FXAA and native 720p) so next gen aliasing will not be a problem. That being said, PC users used to super sampling will still talk sh*t about consoles
    Last edited by Itachi; 11-11-2012 at 23:38.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    No. Next-gen PCs maybe. But I don't think we're quite there yet - at least not to the point where it's feasible to invest time and money to make it like that.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Alas it is but a dream

Maybe later in the gen though.

Ultimate Veteran
    It might be able to do that late in the PS4 cycle.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I don't get it.

If we can already produce pre-rendered graphics of that calibre on today's existing machines why would we have to wait another 10 years for them to be integrated into actual gameplay? Is there such a big gap between rendering and real-time?
    The computers that render it may not be able to run close to 30FPS it may be far less such as 2 or 3, just like ths video below.
    The maker says his actual frame rate was 0.2FPS. Its just that capturing each fram then playing it back at 30FPS gives us the illusion it is playable.

This was 2008 I wonder what the frame rate would eb now with super duper processors and GPU's.

Last edited by keefy; 11-12-2012 at 03:34.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I think video games will end up looking like that but at the end of the PS4's lifecycle.

I also want to see developers do away with some of the more pointless post-processing effects like HDR lighting and Frostbite 2's weathered camera lens. Even the color grading in games like Hitman: Absolution is a bit extreme.

What I'm trying to say is that while this video looks great for its impressive lighting and texture detail, the clean visuals are also a welcome change from what we're used to seeing.
    This, pretty much.

Veteran

^ PS4 will probably look like this IMO *$#@!*

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    How the hell do your prepare to be stabbed?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    How the hell do your prepare to be stabbed?
    By thoroughly convincing yourself that you'll die of blood loss and pain

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    By thoroughly convincing yourself that you'll die of blood loss and pain

What's that game? That's awesome sauce graphics.

11. Likes Fon likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    It still gets to me how far we've come in graphics in 20 years.
    If people can still play PSone games, then games from this gen will age wonderfully.

I saw planetside 2 yesterday, and that game looks so amazing. It has the graphics of crysis/battlefield with the open world of MMOs.
    PS4 needs that game
    Last edited by Itachi; 11-12-2012 at 17:32.

13. Likes D3seeker, Kauldron likes this post
    Veteran
    ^I bet 10 years from now, vintage games (aka, the games around the time of this gen) will be more appreciated and less shunned-away because of "ugly graffix" and bizarre constraints like invisible boundaries, situations where you get "stuck" somewhere, scarce save points, lack of production values that have re-imagined today's games in some ways, etc.

(which isn't to say I can't enjoy the old school games of our time, but just saying from a broad view of the community)

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

15. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    ^And then there always that good old sense of nostalgia

Dedicated Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    post processing AA offers similar results as regular MSAA. there'll be no such thing as jaggies come next gen as the performance loss is only a couple of fps

I'll take your word for it now mate.
    What I've learnt is that some devs just find the payoff of ignoring AA to increase more effects far too good a bargain. But I do hope that changes with next gen, because those postprocessing AA techniques are sick.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    In a racer or fighter, yes.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Will any of you be impressed if next gen open world games look like this? (yes, this is Skyrim on the pc with many many mods made by the community)

Last edited by baho; 11-27-2012 at 10:56.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    What good is graphics without a story or game to play?

however, those are nice!
    i can't imagine that is running on anything short of a behemoth PC with 3 GPU's and an overclocked i7 hex core though (i kid)

this is oblivion with a few mods, looks nice. but everyone looking at this knows that the second anything moves, reality comes crashing in as animations are still just plain bad.

my "graphical" preference (if you could call it that) is for smooth animations. la Killzone and Uncharted....to that end, this gen is more then stellar
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    Will any of you be impressed if next gen open world games look like this? (yes, this is Skyrim on the pc with many many mods made by the community)
    Not really. It needs to look way better than that. Also, the 7th image is just unrealistic because the human eye can't capture that many light sources from the sky/space whatever you wanna call it. You need to use a camera with like a bunch of minutes of exposure to see space like that.

as you can see here

Last edited by KungMartin90; 11-28-2012 at 15:17.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    I know people say graphics are not important, and i agree as well, but graphics can be ONE of the most important things in game and should be focused on most of the time. From an immersion aspect its really important. I do hope this is possible next gen, but i doubt it.

Having realistic style graphics for certain games help a game feel more alive, real and that in its self is very important IMO.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    I know people say graphics are not important, and i agree as well, but graphics can be ONE of the most important things in game and should be focused on most of the time. From an immersion aspect its really important. I do hope this is possible next gen, but i doubt it.

Having realistic style graphics for certain games help a game feel more alive, real and that in its self is very important IMO.
    Graphics are also the FIRST thing people notice when they see a game and first impressions are very hard to overcome

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post

While I do feel graphics are a big part of a game as well, I also think fluid animation of characters (including facial animations) and physics need to have a step up in the next generation of consoles as well, Rockstar & Team Bondi did a great job in L.A. Noire, I would love to see a more advanced version of that next generation!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    While I do feel graphics are a big part of a game as well, I also think fluid animation of characters (including facial animations) and physics need to have a step up in the next generation of consoles as well, Rockstar & Team Bondi did a great job in L.A. Noire, I would love to see a more advanced version of that next generation!
    THIS! its a shame otherwise great games (Mass Effect games) break the immersion with stiff robotic movements and virtually no believable facial animations. Physics on the other hand is already so advanced with nvidia's physx tech. Hope we get some of that next gen

Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Not really. It needs to look way better than that.
    In that case i have some bad news for you: that ran on a top of the line PC at 15-20 frames per second. So chances are that next gen open world games won't (probably) look even as good as that. But i suppose it's a matter of tastes here; personally, i am super impressed by what i see in those shots!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    THIS! its a shame otherwise great games (Mass Effect games) break the immersion with stiff robotic movements and virtually no believable facial animations. Physics on the other hand is already so advanced with nvidia's physx tech. Hope we get some of that next gen
    I would like the physics to get to the point where we can easily have fully destructible environments (when it applies), it would be great to be in a game like Call Of Duty and be able to level a building if you have enough firepower!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

I think mainly we will have just to wait it out and see.
    The next gen consoles could have these kinds of graphics but time will only tell.

Thread Information