Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin

You guys think PS4 will be capable of this target render?

it's pretty sweet if it's not just pre-rendered.

2. Likes Bigdoggy , TheBreezyBB , daLa, Itachi likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I most certainly don't think so.

I'd give so much for it to be true though...

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I would have to say no, we won't be seeing this type of graphics in real time for quite a while! But...I could also be wrong, if you would have shown me Gran Turismo 5 back in 2005 I probably wouldn't believe it either...crazy programmers and their cunning abilities!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Oh my Lord
    *nerdgasm*

How I wish we can have those graphics

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    One could only hope for this level of quality in game. Note that this was only in 720p and it looks absolutely stunning compared to real play in video games today. And with this, you have a bunch of people crying for 4K video from the next gen console.

This video makes my point when I say don't go beyond 1080p 60, but make things native resolution in 1080p60 and focus the graphics on making the graphics better for what resolution TVs people have today and forget about what the masses don't have right now and aren't likely to have during the lifetime of the product.

I think Sony is smart enough to realize this and I don't believe they're working on 4K. At least not for gaming, at most they'd toss in 4K up conversion of movies just to show it being done. But it's not practical and it's a waste on the video game side at this point since the graphical quality in game still sucks compared to what a 1080p monitor/TV can render.

Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think video games will end up looking like that but at the end of the PS4's lifecycle.

I also want to see developers do away with some of the more pointless post-processing effects like HDR lighting and Frostbite 2's weathered camera lens. Even the color grading in games like Hitman: Absolution is a bit extreme.

What I'm trying to say is that while this video looks great for its impressive lighting and texture detail, the clean visuals are also a welcome change from what we're used to seeing.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-09-2012 at 22:00.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

8. Likes Two4DaMoney , mynd likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    One could only hope for this level of quality in game. Note that this was only in 720p and it looks absolutely stunning compared to real play in video games today. And with this, you have a bunch of people crying for 4K video from the next gen console.

This video makes my point when I say don't go beyond 1080p 60, but make things native resolution in 1080p60 and focus the graphics on making the graphics better for what resolution TVs people have today and forget about what the masses don't have right now and aren't likely to have during the lifetime of the product.

I think Sony is smart enough to realize this and I don't believe they're working on 4K. At least not for gaming, at most they'd toss in 4K up conversion of movies just to show it being done. But it's not practical and it's a waste on the video game side at this point since the graphical quality in game still sucks compared to what a 1080p monitor/TV can render.
    I don't think Sony has any intention of doing gaming in 4k, from what I got out of it was that PS4/Orbis will do 4k on pictures and video (movies) only...as long as they pull off 1080p @ 60fps for games I will be a happy person!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Dedicated Member
    I seriously doubt next-gen consoles will be capable of those visuals, maybe next-next gen

Veteran
    I'll be honest and I know I'm just rushing myself towards disappointment but I am expecting at least these kind of graphics.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    The indoor scenes looks like ray traced video, its THAT good
    The water fall is undoubtedly the best water fall I've ever seen in compurter graphics

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I don't get it.

If we can already produce pre-rendered graphics of that calibre on today's existing machines why would we have to wait another 10 years for them to be integrated into actual gameplay? Is there such a big gap between rendering and real-time?

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I don't get it.

If we can already produce pre-rendered graphics of that calibre on today's existing machines why would we have to wait another 10 years for them to be integrated into actual gameplay? Is there such a big gap between rendering and real-time?
    I wouldn't think so, historically PS2 could render better in real-time then PSone CGI and so can PS3 render better then PS2 CGI for that time
    It would be odd for PS4 not to do the same and would probably give the impression of being "not as" a technical jump
    But I've said it before, everything you see now that has Nextgen/amazing graphics will look poor compared to games releasing on PS4 after a year of release "if it goes the way past console have"
    Darksector was one of those games back before PS3 was released and look at it now or when it was actually released compared, and that was improved upon

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

15. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I don't get it.

Obviously, the difference is huge between them. We're still 2 to 3 decades away from having true, full raytracing in real time for games. That will provide the best image quality possible. Personally, i believe the biggest step next gen will bring (that will be easily observable for the untrained eye) will be physics simulation on a large scale.

17. Likes Shibby likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    That engine sound so real!!

I would hope so, but, in reality i don't think that is possible yet.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Sure, why not. First they show this video in the beggining of the game and then throw in some jaggies, steal some resolution lines here and there, trim the framerate a bit and you got in-game graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I don't think Sony has any intention of doing gaming in 4k, from what I got out of it was that PS4/Orbis will do 4k on pictures and video (movies) only...as long as they pull off 1080p @ 60fps for games I will be a happy person!
    I am afraid they will go with the spec that is best marketed rather than the one that has better results.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    The indoor scenes looks like ray traced video, its THAT good
    The water fall is undoubtedly the best water fall I've ever seen in compurter graphics
    that maybe so, but it was hella inaccurate
    the water resembles something falling in a backyard ornamental pond, not a full sized waterfall
    it "looks" good, but does not act like water would at that volume. just my two cents worth which would lead me to this:

i consider Unreal Engine to be the average quality to expect from a generation.

the next gen UE does some impressive stuff, its not difficult to believe that next gen proprietary engines will achieve results similar to the OP.

Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    I can't wait to see a bioshock/dishonored game on UE4.
    Those games have the best art direction, and UE4 looks badass. Not a single jaggie to be seen!

Veteran
    This probably won't be possible next gen, though. The upcoming UE4 looks nice, but I still think we're going to see something short of the target render next gen.

I think it's certainly doable for pre-rendered footage (though that's probably a given), but we should not be getting the total, overall quality like that in real-time graphics performance. Every texture would have to be at maximum detail and complexity, there would be absolutely no aliasing, lighting/shaders have to be flawless, Etc. I expect some of these feats should be achieved next-gen, but not all.

Long story short, I think there are too many major, infamous hurdles in the console realm that have been "eliminated" in the target render to make me think we will get there in the next generation. To literally see consoles represent that render fully, it will take another generation to iron everything out (if we even have consoles in the ninth generation, that is). I do expect something relatively close...but clearly not there (in real-time, that is).

PC, on the other hand...
    Last edited by Bio; 11-10-2012 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Veteran
    I would think this is possible in real time but would come at high costs (more than $1000 per unit), is this is correct?

Forum Elder
    i'd be happy if they could up the grafix to 1080p and get open world (sandbox games) to feel open world in that traffic and people don't pop in or disappear if you turn around and then back.

Dedicated Member
    I'd say about 4 years into next gen, graphics like that will be common place... with a few jaggies of course.
    Uncharted water physics already kick the $#@! out of the waterfall physics, so I'd say the first game to achieve that quality would be Uncharted 5 (assuming Naughty dog's first game next gen is Uncharted 4).

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3-The Ultimate Machine View Post
    I'd say about 4 years into next gen, graphics like that will be common place... with a few jaggies of course.
    Uncharted water physics already kick the $#@! out of the waterfall physics, so I'd say the first game to achieve that quality would be Uncharted 5 (assuming Naughty dog's first game next gen is Uncharted 4).
    post processing AA offers similar results as regular MSAA. there'll be no such thing as jaggies come next gen as the performance loss is only a couple of fps

Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post

it's pretty sweet if it's not just pre-rendered.
    would be sweet with a game like Mirrors Edge. O.O

besides that, if that's a target render, it's just something for them to aim for. in fact I will say right now there is no way the next consoles will be capable of that. to big of a leap and if Sony did make a system capable of what that is running, expect to pay $1500 for that console.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I think the think that excites me the most about next gen is that all the worst looking games will likely look like some of the best looking games on the PS3...which is still pretty damn awesome.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I won't get my hopes up... but that was freakin' amazing!

If the racing looks like the $#@!pit view that was in that video, I'd finance a simulator to be using for a game like that. /tears

Thread Information