Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    I own both Apple and Android products, both have their positives. Not the biggest fan of Apple atm but yeah, I don't blame them for trying to protect their product, no matter how petty and stupid I may think their practices are. Business is business..

But really? Most smartphones are rectangle with rounded edges. What other shapes for a useful phone are there?.

2. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well I will stick to my low price android phone... I paid for my ACER LIQUID just £135 and I do everything with it and i would not change it for anything
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim

Apple awarded patent on electronic rectangular products with rounded edges

Your law teacher? Did he source this from PMA or AMA? Curious I'm a law major (criminal justice) never went into marketing law but from my understanding they are ways around it Samsung obviously gets away with it as well as car companies all the time.

However that logic your referring to doesn't explain how samsung is allowed to reference the iphone in their commercial.

Also keep in mind laws vary from Uk to the US in regards to these marketing laws
    Last edited by DeviousOne; 11-10-2012 at 21:00.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The patent filing, grant, etc., is filled with a LOT of info. The headlines, "Apple patents rectangle/round corners" is for hits, and skewed discussions. Kinda like how this one already went. See... the headlines normally don't actually go into detail other than a few images, absurd "title", and there ya have it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    Speaking of price, I've never paid more than 200 for a phone. Just swooped up an S3 and I5 for 200 bucks each. Can't see paying 6/700 for a phone. Where are you guys shopping?

Edit: yeah I see what you're saying F34R..didn't read anything but what was in the thread. I'm sure it's more complicated than meets the eye.
    Last edited by imINxile; 11-10-2012 at 21:07.

7. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I think it is funny how most of the replies are against Apple and saying their products suck lol. I think Dave even mentions that the iPad mini is stupid? Not sure why releasing a smaller version of the iPad is stupid?

Apple makes fantastic products and I honestly do not see how anyone can deny that. Apple is about making money, like every other company out there. Apple has every right to try and patent as much as possible. Key word is "try". Someone had to grant them these patents and nobody is complaining about them. I think you guys love to hate on Apple so much that you are not even blaming the right people lol

9. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Forum Sage
    It's always fun to hate on the big guy

BBK. Tapatalking

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I do not hate Apple. It's just a joke for what they do for some things
    Last edited by claud3; 11-11-2012 at 10:05.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

12. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Finally some common sense in here! I swear people are getting dumber by the minute.

Apple did not give themselves said patent, they were awarded the patent by the respective agency. If anything, go hate on them. Plus Samsung (or any other competitor for that matter) could easily do something similar if they were smart enough.

This is called 'business' and you'd do the same if you had the chance.

There is a reason why Apple is as successful as it is. Figure it out.
    You know, you don't need to resort to insults. I'm not going to call you a mindless drone or anything if you like Apple but there are plenty of people who dislike the company and I would think there's some credibility to their arguments, whether you want to see it or not. Writing it off as "just business" doesn't change the fact that it was a selfish move to file such a broad patent.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

14. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    You know, you don't need to resort to insults. I'm not going to call you a mindless drone or anything if you like Apple but there are plenty of people who dislike the company and I would think there's some credibility to their arguments, whether you want to see it or not. Writing it off as "just business" doesn't change the fact that it was a selfish move to file such a broad patent.
    But didn't you read F3AR's comment?

This patent is not as simple as it is made out to be by some over-dramatic headline. I'm sure the patent agency wouldn't have passed Apple's request otherwise.

And sorry for resorting to insults but I can't stand it when people prematurely jump to conclusions when they absolutely know nothing but the story quoted in the OP.

And Devious, I should have been more clear. I was referring to German commercial law, which might drastically differ from US law in certain aspects as you already pointed out.
    Last edited by Wrath; 11-11-2012 at 01:12.

16. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim

Apple awarded patent on electronic rectangular products with rounded edges

But didn't you read F3AR's comment?

This patent is not as simple as it is made out to be by some over-dramatic headline. I'm sure the patent agency wouldn't have passed Apple's request otherwise.

And sorry for resorting to insults but I can't stand it when people prematurely jump to conclusions when they absolutely know nothing but the story quoted in the OP.

And Devious, I should have been more clear. I was referring to German commercial law, which might drastically differ from US law in certain aspects as you already pointed out.
    Yea its cool I figured bro... Here in the states companies find ways to do it in suggestive way to slander their competition LOL Sega didnt care in the early 90's LOL

Aggressive campaigning is high risk given the public view is important to big companies but with all this behavior from apple and headlines like this i dont see how aggressive marketing could hurt apple at this point lol
    Last edited by DeviousOne; 11-11-2012 at 02:33.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

18. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    If memory serves right SONY had the range of k550 released 4 months BEFORE the original iPhone and motorola i'm sure had a similar shaped phone way before that
    Yeah you are right the k range from *10 up
    Which included the K810, k850 k550 and the Walkman range all started to be rounded with a silver edge on some models
    Though that was a few years before iPhone existed and my walkman was a slim metal rounded device with a chrome trim as was my old think plastic black one before "but without the trim"

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Dedicated Member
    Apple is already going down, they're the architects of their own destruction at this point, the only thing that kept them afloat this year was the momentum from last year's product cycle, but they pissed a huge number of their fans off with the ipad 4 (launched 7 months after ipad 3, as if 12 months wasn't a short enough cycle). It doesn't matter if they get a patent like this, because courts have already realized that Apple's cases are just corporate BS, so if they do more lawsuits, not only do they damage their own reputation further, they'll most likely lose, because the patent in question is too broad to actually be of any use in courts.

21. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    But both are to blame. Apple for their eating up of the market and the other for doing what they doing

Making it harder for others
    That's one of the primary motivations of every for-profit organization in the world. Can't blame Apple for being successful at it.

23. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    This is nothing new in the industry. There's nothing wrong with getting a 1up on your adversaries. I personally think it will cause a little innovation in the opponents.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

25. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    This is funny and sad at the same time.

Well done Apple and US Patent Office. I can hear the backslapping and mutual patting all the way here.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    This is nothing new in the industry. There's nothing wrong with getting a 1up on your adversaries. I personally think it will cause a little innovation in the opponents.
    They've already been innovating. For decades in fact.

Apple only stepped up with their suits because they felt they didn't have as many brainwashed folk locked up in terms of market share.

Can't necessarily hate them for that (well you can but I don't blame people like Wrath for not - they're only speaking up for their loyalty - and that I can respect).

But it is what is.
    Last edited by Admartian; 11-11-2012 at 09:33.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Why is "brainwashed" used for people that use Apple products?

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That's what I'm wondering. Seems to be a prominent excuse for liking the big guy.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Nothing will change and let be known that is the truth... we need heavy competition in the industry for it to grow more stronger

Veteran
    Sorry, but this negative image you speak off must be exclusive to hardcore internet forums like this one.

Otherwise, we wouldn't see so many people buying iPhones over other smartphones or Apple becoming the world's first trillion dollar company. And please don't tell me now that the majority of Apple fans are mindless fools. This pathetic excuse has run its course.
    No, it's not something that happens over night, it takes time... just like it did with Microsoft.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Prob because of the FEW Apple fans that will indeed buy every new Apple product even if the release iphone 6 then 3 months later iphone 7 with one diff those people will buy it. But those are the hardcore Apple fans and really are a minority I have seen.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I think a consumer that wants an iPhone isn't going to get an S3 because its similar its like if someone wants a BMW your not gonna get a lexus cause its similar.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3-The Ultimate Machine View Post
    Apple is already going down, they're the architects of their own destruction at this point,
    Did you come up with this conclusion from the iPhone 5's record breaking numbers?

Poor Apple....

34. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    That's what I'm wondering. Seems to be a prominent excuse for liking the big guy.
    Not really reserved for Apple at all - it's really for anyone that decides based on the sheer marketing - i.e. cool factor, popularity, and "everyone else has one" mentality.

Compare all the high end devices together; take away Apples marketing; and they're all pretty equal with their own pros and cons.

Nothing wrong with that.

The "brainwashed" I refer to, are those that turn their heads, cover their eyes and ears and make noises trying to convince others (and mostly themselves) that they are head and shoulders the "best" and no one is even close (same thing happens to these console forums of ours).

No one has disputed that they aren't good products - so I don't know why that is even mentioned as a "counter-argument". They're just not the God of products or even the "best" for everyone or the only thing that people should use.

We're all adult enough to understand each other's preference - as you can see by my post above and others posts also.

My preference isn't any better than yours, nor yours over mine - my problem has always come from those who are "brainwashed" to always spout "MS this" or "Apple that" is king and rules above all (and will go into lengths to negate their "rivals").

Those are whom I refer to as brainwashed - let's not get defensive here people.

Really, if you have a problem with that stance, or this post at all - which hasn't talked ill of the 'great Apple' at all - then I really don't know what else to say.
    Last edited by Admartian; 11-11-2012 at 19:37.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Not really reserved for Apple at all - it's really for anyone that decides based on the sheer marketing - i.e. cool factor, popularity, and "everyone else has one" mentality.

Compare all the high end devices together; take away Apples marketing; and they're all pretty equal with their own pros and cons.

Nothing wrong with that.

The "brainwashed" I refer to, are those that turn their heads, cover their eyes and ears and make noises trying to convince others (and mostly themselves) that they are head and shoulders the "best" and no one is even close (same thing happens to these console forums of ours).

No one has disputed that they aren't good products - so I don't know why that is even mentioned as a "counter-argument". They're just not the God of products or even the "best" for everyone or the only thing that people should use.

We're all adult enough to understand each other's preference - as you can see by my post above and others posts also.

My preference isn't any better than yours, nor yours over mine - my problem has always come from those who are "brainwashed" to always spout "MS this" or "Apple that" is king and rules above all (and will go into lengths to negate their "rivals").

Those are whom I refer to as brainwashed - let's not get defensive here people.

Really, if you have a problem with that stance, or this post at all - which hasn't talked ill of the 'great Apple' at all - then I really don't know what else to say.
    I see, that terms is for any product then... I gotcha. I've never met anyone, or "heard" them say that it's the best, and for everyone, etc. I'm the only one in a household of four smart phones, that has any Apple products. I'm the only one who wanted to try it, and has liked what I use it for.

Also, I didn't think you were talking about anyone in particular... just wanted to know what the generalization was used for towards Apple, on these forums, when it's the same type of behavior we see across all brands, but never see the term used except for Apple lol.

Thread Information