Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style

Rare fish found or rather caught

A fish rarely seen by humans and weighing in at 300 pounds became the center of a bizarre fish story in Cabo San Lucas, where the "mystery" fish wound up getting stolen.

The fish was described by the Pisces Sportfishing Fleet blog as having a dorado-shaped head, tuna-type body, wahoo tail (with half of it missing) and a snapper color. Pisces eventually identified the fish as a louvar or Luvaras Imperialis, a species last seen in Cabo waters some 22 years ago.

The boatful of fishermen who captured the rare beast knew it was something special, yet it became the fish that got away--stolen from under their noses.

As related by Capt. Josue Moreno to Pisces, the Marina II headed out for a half day of fishing when the crew and fishing tourists came across a huge fish circling on the top of the water.

"I thought it was a red snapper or tuna," Moreno told Pisces. "So we went over to investigate and saw this really weird fish, like something we had never seen before. It was still alive, but almost dead, struggling to breathe. So we gaffed it and had a really hard time getting it onto the swimstep. The tourists on board were amazed and kept asking us what it was, but we had no idea."

The Marina II was said to have stopped to catch a few dorado before heading in to have the big, mystery fish weighed and filleted.

Only that's not exactly what happened.

As Pisces Sportfishing Fleet found out on Tuesday, the tale Moreno told was a lie.

The real story surfaced when Pisces spoke with angler Joe Estrada of San Antonio, Texas. He and some friends had chartered the boat Dr. Pescado II. Less than four miles from the Lighthouse off Cabo, they spotted the mystery fish circling on top of the water, they gaffed it and they tied it onto the swimstep.

"We wanted to head back with the fish," Estrada told Pisces. "We knew it was an unusual catch." But the captain said, "the dorado bite is good, let's stay and fish and I will find somebody to take it back."

So, not wanting the fish to sit out in the sun while they were fishing, the captain radioed the Marina II, and its captain agreed to take the fish in.

"Our skipper, Oscar, told the other skipper to take it back for us and put it on ice. You can hear him saying that on our video," Estrada told Doug Olander of Sport Fishing.

The video below shows how the fish was transferred from one boat to the other. The fish was hooked to a buoy. The Dr. Pescado II left it floating for the Marina II, which scooped up the fish and headed in to port.

It was the last Estrada and his fishing group saw of the fish. As you can see in the photo above, Capt. Moreno had a photo taken with the fish before immediately filleting and distributing it to people around the marina. When the Dr. Pescado II returned to port to check on the fish, it was long gone.

"I like the fact that everybody was fed," Estrada told Pisces. "I hate to see fish go to waste and I am glad that so many families got fed."

But he sure wishes he had been able to take a few fillets home with him.

"I found out that they are really good eating," Estrada told Sport Fishing. "And I love to cook fish. That was heartbreaking."

Estrada told Pisces that his skipper Oscar "felt betrayed," though we can't help but wonder if Oscar might have gotten any of those fillets. Hmmm.

See Estrada's entire YouTube video here. We start the video below at 1:25, right when they describe how they're going to hand the fish off. "Let it be known we found the fish...We caught this fish, the rarest fish in the world," you can hear someone say. And, appropriately, you also hear, "Adios."
    Last edited by Silvy; 11-11-2012 at 22:53.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

2. Likes claud3, DeviousOne likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Looks like a dolphin got to it! Smh..

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Looks like a fish that ate a fish that ate a dolphin..lmao

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Is that a terminator fish?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Dats a bigun!

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Huge fish!.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Looks strange cause its like a normal fish enlarged 30 times. I really like all this mysterious creatures which live under the water. I would like manking to find even more strange fishes and maybe even something shocking.

El Presidente
    I didn't read the entire article but why didn't they just take the fish back themselves?

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

10. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    It's a tuna fish and they do grow big
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    I like fish swimming around not to be out of water

And if it is rare then y is it hanging dead killing anything is upseting to me but killing a rare fish is not right and how do we no there be the same as that one
    thats like me finding a rare bird thats only one in the world and killing it when really i would take a photo and never tell anyone where i saw it
    Last edited by SHAZZMAZZ; 11-12-2012 at 13:41.
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

13. Likes Cybertox likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Here is another
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAZZMAZZ View Post

And if it is rare then y is it hanging dead killing anything is upseting to me but killing a rare fish is not right and how do we no there be the same as that one
    thats like me finding a rare bird thats only one in the world and killing it when really i would take a photo and never tell anyone where i saw it
    How it was found wasn't purposely for killing a rare fish. If you took a photo it would be known rather quickly where it was seen. Ya know, if you shared it.

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Here is another
    NO put the fish back alive
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    People eat fish. People eat plants, animals... Etc. you want them to eat it alive?

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    People eat fish. People eat plants, animals... Etc. you want them to eat it alive?

He means rare animals not regular ones...

19. Likes SHAZZMAZZ likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    He means rare animals not regular ones...
    Read his other posts...

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Read his other posts...

He says that rare animals should not get killed. He is talking about rare animals only and not in general. However its very hard to understand what he means as his language isnt really perfect.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)

But in this instance, the fish was already dying on the water's surface. They didn't intentionally kill it for sport, rather they took advantage of a situation where the fish was going to die anyway.
    LMAO

23. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Here is another
    I love watching, River Monsters so this isn't all that surprising to see a cat fish of such scale.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Rare or not, animal's are food

Plants are food, humans are food. That's the cycle of life, we eat each other and survive

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Rare or not, animal's are food

Plants are food, humans are food. That's the cycle of life, we eat each other and survive
    If you would have found nessie would you eat it?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    He says that rare animals should not get killed. He is talking about rare animals only and not in general. However its very hard to understand what he means as his language isnt really perfect.
    Read this post... that is two different aspects. He likes fish swimming, not to be out of water, AND if it's rare, why is it hanging. So, no, he's not talking about rare animals only.

If you would have found nessie would you eat it?
    Hell yeah! Nessie steaks!!!

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox

This sentence is so freaking $#@!ed up. You can understand whatever you want by reading it. It doesnt even make sense.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style

This sentence is so freaking $#@!ed up. You can understand whatever you want by reading it. It doesnt even make sense.
    Indeed. There is something fishy about it.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

30. Likes Cybertox likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    Indeed. There is something fishy about it.
    Couldnt describe it any better lol

Thread Information