Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SMC Name Change

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    Well since we are going with community involvement I say we have a few nominations followed by a poll. Thoughts?
    Sounds fine to me. We can put up the new nominations along with the current name and we'll see what wins.

There are some requirements though:

-The abbreviation must still be SMC.
    -The name must emphasize the SMC as being superior members and not inferior staff members. (For example: Junior Moderator or Staff Apprentice identify the group as being low staff members)
    -And of course, the name has to make sense for what the group is.
    Last edited by Ixion; 11-15-2012 at 22:09.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Specified Members Council

Was just throwing out a name change.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Swag Motherlovers Council

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Lost Boys
    LMAO

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Lost Boys
    Perfect. Seriously, we all know what role SMCs have and the name color is indication enough...why not have something different?

Come up with cooler names for the other roles too...

Let the name colors do the talkin'.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    My point is, we don't have to have SMC as the acronym. The SMC can be renamed to whatever, so anyone feel free to toss suggestions.
    LMAO

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    "Meek & Modest Moderators you Moderfuckers" - My official submission.

8. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    I know technically it's a forum but:
    Drunk Intellectual Chatroom Kings
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    What about "Soon (to be) Moderators Club (providing they don't screw up)" = SMC. In a round-about way...

Seriously though, what about "Sworn-in Members Council ? Hard to come up with one when limited to just one letter though.
    Last edited by Admartian; 11-15-2012 at 22:45.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    In all honesty, I could care less what the name is. It does not change what they do as staff members.

12. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I suppose the first requirement isn't necessary. It's just that the group has always been known as the 'SMC'. But you guys will have more freedom to come up with names if we forget about that.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    To be honest...
    SMC - Senior Members Council ... what is that? Well, silly, it's a group of forum members. F34R, why were they chosen, and what does that name even mean?

They are members that were promoted because they showed a great desire to help the community in many ways. Their activity is detrimental to responding to PM's, thread topics, replies, and reports. Overall, communication and activity, with a clear understanding on how members (including all staff) should be able to follow the rules in order to keep the community an expanding and supportive group. They are members that have a level of character that supports the site functions, and most importantly, the members that give the site it's own character. I know, you really wanted to know what "Senior Member Council" means. It means that some members show a distinct dedication to spreading their wings. The ability and desire to frequent sections that they might not be personally in touch with to make sure members aren't having any problems with site functions and/or other members. Contributing in those sections in a respectful manner is always a feature of a member that has been promoted to the SMC. That brings in the most important part of these members. They are respectful while maintaining their responsibilities in a myriad of actions put forth; communication with members and staff, dedicated forum activity, and enforcing the rules.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    The M.I.T.

"Mods in Training"

8 years and counting!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    To be honest...
    SMC - Senior Members Council ... what is that? Well, silly, it's a group of forum members. F34R, why were they chosen, and what does that name even mean?

They are members that were promoted because they showed a great desire to help the community in many ways. Their activity is detrimental to responding to PM's, thread topics, replies, and reports. Overall, communication and activity, with a clear understanding on how members (including all staff) should be able to follow the rules in order to keep the community an expanding and supportive group. They are members that have a level of character that supports the site functions, and most importantly, the members that give the site it's own character. I know, you really wanted to know what "Senior Member Council" means. It means that some members show a distinct dedication to spreading their wings. The ability and desire to frequent sections that they might not be personally in touch with to make sure members aren't having any problems with site functions and/or other members. Contributing in those sections in a respectful manner is always a feature of a member that has been promoted to the SMC. That brings in the most important part of these members. They are respectful while maintaining their responsibilities in a myriad of actions put forth; communication with members and staff, dedicated forum activity, and enforcing the rules.
    Are you saying you want it changed back to Senior Members Council? Or are you just describing what the role entails?

Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    The M.I.T.

"Mods in Training"
    This is definitely descriptive of the role, but again, it emphasizes being an inferior staff member. It will be more difficult for the group to receive respect from the community when they're considered mods with training wheels.

That's why we want the role to emphasize being a superior member.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Are you saying you want it changed back to Senior Members Council? Or are you just describing what the role entails?

This is definitely descriptive of the role, but again, it emphasizes being an inferior staff member. It will be more difficult for the group to receive respect from the community when they're considered mods with training wheels.

I don't think the name is, or ever was, a problem. I think anyone as registered member should drop any idle supposition that someone that is a staff member is a superior member.

18. Likes -Shafty- likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3

No offence but they are inferior staff members as they are at the low end of the "ladder", yet above regular members as they have actual responsibilities now. I now saying this to defend the name I submitted, but instead I am just stating fact.

If the community/staff thought you were "good enough" to become a "Mod in Training" that should garner enough respect I would think.

8 years and counting!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I don't think the name is, or ever was, a problem. I think anyone as registered member should drop any idle supposition that someone that is a staff member is a superior member.
    But a staff member also doesn't need to be a senior member. The role is for those who are thought to make the best staff members.

That's why, honestly, Selected Members Council makes sense. It avoids both pitfalls. The name implies that the group is neither superior or senior. They've just been chosen for a job.
    Last edited by Ixion; 11-16-2012 at 15:08.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    But a staff member also doesn't need to be a senior member. The role is for those who are thought to make the best staff members.

That's why, honestly, Selected Members Council makes sense. It avoids both pitfalls. The name implies that the group is neither superior or senior. They've just be chosen for a job.
    The adjective "senior" doesn't have any particular meaning regarding anything other than someone with seniority.. aka, responsibilities. It's been about a members responsible nature, along with the other items I described above, for a long time now. The change came because of the guilt, or responsibility for the staff that chose members because of whatever reasons they used, while disrespecting other members. The problem is that someone thought it was "senior" as in a "long term" member. It's never been about being a long term member. Never.
    Last edited by F34R; 11-16-2012 at 15:11.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    seniority.. aka, responsibilities.
    That's not what seniority means...

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Goodness. I never said that was the definition of the word. "AKA" Also known as... that's how it's been since at least 2008. Have you been involved in this matter being here three years more than me? I'm pretty sure you have, and already know exactly what the group was comprised of before, and what the meaning of the group was. I explained it in detail pretty nicely. Do we even need to start tossing definitions out to rebut things you know were brought forward properly?

I mean, we can use your "definition" all day.. take it how you want it but it can be used just fine.

priority, precedence, or status obtained as the result of a persons length of service, as ina profession, trade, company, or union.

Ok, so what determines how the length of service being credited?

The time since they registered? Yeah, we know that isn't the case. The time they spend on the forums, within the needs of the community, etc.? Yeah, that'd give someone "seniority" over other members that don't fit the same need. That's been acceptable since 2008 for sure because I was on the SMC just a few months after being registered.
    Last edited by F34R; 11-16-2012 at 15:21.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Goodness. I never said that was the definition of the word. "AKA" Also known as... that's how it's been since at least 2008. Have you been involved in this matter being here three years more than me? I'm pretty sure you have, and already know exactly what the group was comprised of before, and what the meaning of the group was. I explained it in detail pretty nicely. Do we even need to start tossing definitions out to rebut things you know were brought forward properly?
    You're arguing that the name should be changed back because everyone understands what the name means? My problem is that we're going by our own understanding and definition. That's pretentious to new members. We want a name that more accurately and more clearly explains the role.

And no, it's not because of 'guilt' that we 'disrespected other members'. We want the best potential staff members. Period. That's what it comes down to. And having 'Senior' in the name is not descriptive of that.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    So, after over four years, it's pretentious to new members? So, for over four years, members have been chosen based on something other the best potential staff member?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    So, after over four years, it's pretentious to new members? So, for over four years, members have been chosen based on something other the best potential staff member?
    If they have been, then the name hasn't been accurate.

If they haven't, then that should be changed, along with the name.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Well you, the Admin, are saying it needs to be changed because of X reason. As long as I've been here, and talked with most new and active members, as well as staff, I've never heard of, or saw, anyone think that an SMC was a member that had been here a long time. Nor have I seen members being picked based on their longevity on the site.

Can you post any examples of this actually being a problem?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Well you, the Admin, are saying it needs to be changed because of X reason. As long as I've been here, and talked with most new and active members, as well as staff, I've never heard of, or saw, anyone think that an SMC was a member that had been here a long time. Nor have I seen members being picked based on their longevity on the site.

Can you post any examples of this actually being a problem?
    It doesn't matter if it hasn't been a problem. Even if the best staff members have been chosen, the name hasn't been accurate. Either way, it needs to be changed.

Thread Information