Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    I don't think that will have any effect on the graphics

Excuse my ignorance, I'm not a massive tech junkie, but what would that have an effect on then?

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Other_
    Hey guys. I'm Don. One of the many PSU writers/editors that you don't know. I happen to have written a rather long explanation of what I did and didn't like about Black Ops II: PSU's Black Ops II review.

http://www.psu.com/a017556/Call-of-D...-Ops-II-Review

(I flew to California to review this one at Activision's review event! I hung out with a bunch of writers from huge sites like GiantBomb, IGN, and Game Trailers. Cool, huh?)

I mention the disparities between the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game.

Here's what I think about it: it sucks, and shouldn't be happening. The bottom line is that Call of Duty isn't ruined by its lack of outstanding visuals. However, as I'm sure you'd all agree, the most logical reason the PS3 version would show muddier textures is lower optimization due to the game running natively on 360.

The install only polishes up some textures, but nothing major. It's still noticeable.

The game is still as fun as you'd like it to be though.

Sent using Tapatalk

Follow me on Twitter @DonOther

3. Likes Itachi , Ghost , DeviousOne , Tim Nunes likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Cheers don I'll give it a read. Also thanks for the explanation on the texture thing

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

5. Likes Tim Nunes likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, I'm not a massive tech junkie, but what would that have an effect on then?
    I was guessing that it would help with the load times & it would be less disc spinning.

7. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    I don't think that will have any effect on the graphics

I was just talking in General, I haven't tried this game out yet on either console but my PS3 copy will be here tomorrow I just hope it look good in 1080P.
    You are correct in general, the gamma ramp is all piece meal on the Xbox, its the one that's actually all up the ****.
    Anybody who has both should definatly have different setting for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Oliveira View Post
    Hey guys. I'm Don. One of the many PSU writers/editors that you don't know. I happen to have written a rather long explanation of what I did and didn't like about Black Ops II: PSU's Black Ops II review.

http://www.psu.com/a017556/Call-of-D...-Ops-II-Review

(I flew to California to review this one at Activision's review event! I hung out with a bunch of writers from huge sites like GiantBomb, IGN, and Game Trailers. Cool, huh?)

I mention the disparities between the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game.

Here's what I think about it: it sucks, and shouldn't be happening. The bottom line is that Call of Duty isn't ruined by its lack of outstanding visuals. However, as I'm sure you'd all agree, the most logical reason the PS3 version would show muddier textures is lower optimization due to the game running natively on 360.

The install only polishes up some textures, but nothing major. It's still noticeable.

The game is still as fun as you'd like it to be though.

Sent using Tapatalk

Id put my money on Quncunix, its basically free as its a hardware AA filter, but its famous for blurring everything. In an effort to hit 60fps, I would say they simply chose it over any other form of AA. I'm not seeing the normal telltale signs of lower res.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/th...effect-article
    Last edited by mynd; 11-15-2012 at 06:54.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Oliveira View Post
    Hey guys. I'm Don.
    Don's coming out of the goddamn walls!

It's Mr Podcast himself. Everyone should tune into the PSU podcast, it's a lot of fun and Don is a great (and slightly mental) host. :P
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Soldier 95B
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...s-2-on-console

It's fair to say that Treyarch's track record in terms of cross-platform conversions is patchy at best, especially evident when the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of 2010's Call of Duty: Black Ops are compared directly. Lower frame-rates, lower resolution frame buffers, and PSN's online issues gave the impression that the firm's focus had been directed towards the Xbox 360 version of the game, resulting in a sub-par experience for PS3 owners. So how does Black Ops 2 fare?

As we speak, Digital Foundry's Tom Morgan is poring over all three versions of the game, having bought each at the midnight launch on Tuesday. A complete analysis is in the running for this weekend, but for now, we are in a position to offer some headline pointers on what separates the two console versions based on our captures of the single-player campaign.

First up: rendering resolution. Since the release of Modern Warfare, the Call of Duty engine has always operated in a sub-HD configuration, with Treyarch's Black Ops running at the COD standard 1040x600 with 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA) on Xbox 360. Alas, this saw a reduction to 960x540 on the PlayStation 3.

Resolution parity returned with Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 3, but this has changed once again with Black Ops 2; native resolution is now 880x720 on Xbox 360 with 2x MSAA. It may sound somewhat on the low side, but kudos to Treyarch here - the upscaling algorithm is remarkably refined when viewed in motion. The overall impression is that this is the crispest COD we've seen on 360. As you'll see in the comparison viewer below, the upscaled image generally compares quite well with the PC version running at native res.

Things aren't quite so impressive on PS3, however. Base resolution does indeed appear to be a very close match, with our pixel count resolving a marginally lower 864x720 image. It's impossible to overlook the aggressive blur applied over the top of the image though, resulting from what appears to be a new post-process anti-aliasing technique for the studio. The intensity of the filter is so pronounced that, even after close study of numerous shots, it's difficult to pinpoint whether any hardware MSAA is being applied on Sony's platform. A significant amount of detail is lost in the image overall, but on the plus side, edge detection/smoothing does work out better in some scenes.

Black Ops 2 on PS3 suffers from noticeable hit to image quality, where the additional blur comes from Treyarch's choice method of anti-aliasing. As a result, the 360 scales up an 880x720 native resolution alongside 2x MSAA to create a crisper image, while PS3 uses lower precision post processing to mask the jaggies.

We've also run some like-for-like video clips through our frame-rate analysis tools to discern whether or not a disparity in performance still exists between the two console platforms - historically the COD engine has favoured the Xbox 360 - a state of affairs especially evident in Black Ops.

Modern Warfare 3 closed the gap somewhat, but it's safe to say that there is still a noticeable performance difference between Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the new game, as you can see by checking out the cut-scene and traversal video below, which seeks to measure frame-rates in areas where the rendering engines are put through a series of nigh-on identical stress tests.

We're still working on campaign gameplay, multiplayer, and stereoscopic 3D analyses but we reckon that the gap between the two console SKUs does close - especially in terms of the all-important online experience (though these issues are somewhat alarming).

In most gameplay areas, PS3 performance generally is significantly closer to the target 60FPS than it was in the first Black Ops, though more intense effects work clearly takes its toll on frame-rate. Curiously we find that the PC version seems to require serious amounts of CPU power - no problem for quad-core systems but the 2.8GHz Pentium G840 powering the £300 Digital Foundry PC seems to have issues running the game at anything above 30FPS, regardless of what graphical settings or resolutions we try, something we'll be taking another look at shortly.

We aim to have our full article complete for the weekend, but in the meantime, we can safely recommend the Xbox 360 version of Black Ops 2 ahead of its Sony equivalent. That said, assuming Treyarch can overcome the freezes and lock-ups impacting the PS3 experience, the gap between the two console versions in terms of performance does narrow if you're mainly invested in the multiplayer side.
    Not really a surprise IF the 360 is the lead platform. Not sure if that is true or not?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...s-2-on-console

Not really a surprise IF the 360 is the lead platform. Not sure if that is true or not?
    I knew there was no Horizontal res difference. I still think they were just lazy and used Qunincunx.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Other_
    If the shoe fits...

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It's hard to tell the performance difference while playing for sure lol. The blurring effect that mynd already explained, is easier to see.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Well lets put it this way, if it isnt Quincunx...they should have...it couldnt have done any worse....

15. Likes F34R likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Well at least the preformance holds up better than in Blops1. Dunno what reason they can't get parity after all these years though, it's not like the game is as intense as Skyrim. Maybe they don't care that much because they know it'll still sell 10m+ on the PS3 regardless

Ancient
    There is no reason any version should be running Sub-HD, its terrible really it is

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    There is no reason any version should be running Sub-HD, its terrible really it is
    60fps says hello.
    You could run this at HD as long as you dont want to hit 60fps.

19. Likes F34R likes this post
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    60fps says hello.
    Have to repeat that every year lol.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    60fps says hello.
    60fps
    I understand that for a racer or a fighter or even some games like DMC
    but when playing BF3 and COD I don't really see the advantage
    All I see is COD looking terrible (PQ wise)

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I don't see how it's terrible. 60fps is silky smooth, and I like it. Visually the game isn't a disappointment for me.

23. Likes Bigdoggy , ONQ likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I don't see how it's terrible. 60fps is silky smooth, and I like it. Visually the game isn't a disappointment for me.
    This!

the game looks nice

25. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
    Master Guru
    60fps

Sent via Codec
    better controls

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    When I first started playing I felt it looked murky, kind of unclear (multiplayer) and smudged but got use to it now. I never remember the first or Mw2 giving me that impression. I even swapped hdmi lead/port on my monitor and altered afew settings to no avail. SP looks pretty, MP in general doesn't really, I don't mean the textures looking hard up to a wall, I mean like before the round starts and you see the broader picture of team mates and part of the map, the clarity just doesn't seem to be there. Maybe there is something incorrect with my setup, I'll have to check again but when I first sat down with MP I thought is this really the best they can do?
    Or it is me and having come from MoH warfighter after logging 30 odd hours online I was not ready for it to look worse.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Goodness. I can't even begin to see that kind of visual problems because I'm running around trying not to get my ass handed to me lol. Sometimes, I might be trying to hide. I'll play a few matches and try and pay attention to detail and see if I can understand what you're experiencing.

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    May just be me expecting too much

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    60fps

Sent via Codec
    The Xbox version looks pretty good in the videos I've seen. It has a clean and crisp look and can give off the impression of 'good graphics' to a lot of people. The smoothless of 60fps is why CoD is so successful imo. I've got friends who have tried the likes of BF3, Killzone and MoH but they just didn't 'feel it'. They always come back to CoD and I would guess it is because of that unique feel of 60fps on consoles

My ps3 copy has yet to ship. They said it'd be here by tomorrow : (

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I think the game looks really good and I'm playing the PS3 version (when the game first starts it is kind of muddy looking but the HD textures will kick in right after the countdown is over). also, the map designs are WAY better compared to some previous CoD games.

on the PS3 version at least, joining a server is still pretty buggy and I will say if Treyarch can't fix this problem in 1 week, they are pretty crappy developers.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 11-16-2012 at 16:14.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Other_
    A lot of you make interesting points. The PS3 version does indeed still play very smoothly, however, less graphical polish and buggy matchmaking are definitely noticeable.

We'll be talking about this all on the next episode of Podcast Derailed, of course. Some of you might want to tune in; I might even read some of your posts on air!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information