Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Nearly Half Of The U.S Threatens To Secede

Reuters / Chris Keane

As the saying goes: if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. Some Americans upset with the results of Election Day don’t quite agree, and now residents from 20 states have filed petitions with the White House to secede from the country.

Louisiana became the first of the (as of now) 50 united states that managed to collect enough signatures to have their petition for secession added to the White House’s website last week, and so far they’ve had no problem finding company. A petition asking for the government to “Peacefully grant the State of Louisiana to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government” garnered more than 14,000 signatures since going live on November 7, and so far 19 other states have managed to attract similar success.

According to the terms of participation on WhiteHouse.gov, the website for the executive branch of the United States will make any petition searchable if it can collect 150 signatures within one months’ time, and collecting 25,000 signatures will necessitate an official response. So far Texas seems to be in the running to be the first state to receive a response from the commander-in-chief, with 21,777 signees asking for secession since their petition went live on November 9, barely 48 hours after US President Barack Obama claimed a victory in his bid for re-election.

In all, 20 states have so far broken the 150 signature threshold, mostly sticking closely to the script included in the first petition published by “Michael E” of Slidell, LA, who quotes the Declaration of Independence in his plea to once again separate the public from a power that, according to thousands of residents, doesn’t represent what is best for the people anymore.

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation,” Michael writes. "…Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and institute new Government…"

In the case of Florida, where 6,271 signees have added their names between November 10 and November 12, the creator called on a quip from founding father Benjamin Franklin to explain his motives, quoting him as saying, “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

“Scott E” of Columbia Falls, MT also quoted Mr. Franklin in creating a petition that asks for the peaceful secession of Montana, adding that residents there “do see that in today's world the Federal Government has not led our citizens justly and with honor.” In just two days, that petition has been signed more than 4,000 times.

In the Lone Star State, only 3,000 or so Texans are needed to cross that 25,000 threshold. According to their petition started by Arlington, TX’s “Micah E,” “The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending.”

“Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect its citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government,” he writes, adding that the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) have blatantly abused the civil rights of Texans and other Americans, and cessation could be the only solution.

Should the threats of secession materialize past a flash in the pan on the White House’s website, the United States is likely to have a new addition sooner or later anyway. On Nov. 6, voters in Puerto Rico elected to petition US Congress for statehood, putting them on track to perhaps becoming the fifty-first member of the union.

The states that have so far accumulated more than 150 signatures on WhiteHouse.gov include Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee and Texas. Georgia, Missouri and South Carolina have all crossed the 150 mark on two separate petitions posted online.
    http://rt.com/usa/news/us-secede-pet...overnment-540/

This sounds interesting
    Last edited by claud3; 11-13-2012 at 20:55.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage

Considering that all these petitions draw on the historical significance of the first secession (Secession from Great Britain) which created this nation, I think it's a good idea.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I'm moving to texas.... Lmao

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Unbound Mercenary
    My father owns a house in North Carolina. I'll be heading there for sure if anything goes down.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

El Presidente
    If New York pulls through I won't need to move at all.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    Americans

$#@!, I'm outnumbered.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    this is a bit sensationalized. Its not half of the U.S. wanting to secede. It is less than 100K People in a nation of 300M who signed the petition. Now i still think it is one of the stupidest ideas to show up on the petition forum, it is not half the U.S.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Friendship is Carrots
    This is nothing. This sort of stuff pops in in many countries from time to time, recently other examples being the UK and Canada. So what if a few dozen thousands people peppered across the USA want independence? It's neither feasible nor anywhere near a majority power. People are just butthurt that Obama won the election, and they stupidly think becoming independent will make things better.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

9. Likes Fon likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Wait, doing the math, even if they all get ~50-75000 signatures, that is still nearly not even half of 1% of the US population.

Not even close to "nearly half" of the US.

Maybe a more accurate article title would be, "Citizens across 20 states are willing to sign a petition to secede".

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Civil War II here we go!
    I'm kidding.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Civil War II here we go!
    I'm kidding.
    I wouldn't doubt the possibility of another civil war! There has been groups organizing all over the US just in case a civil war does break out! It's a huge possibility, not here to preach politics but I believe it's going to be in result of Obama being re-elected

Sent from the bottom of my shot glass using TapTalk

Special thanks to zzKurozz for the Signature and Avatar!
    Prodigy - A young one, endowed with exceptional abilities.
    Currently Playing: MoH: Warfighter / Assassin's Creed 3 / GW2
    Waiting For: CoD: Black Ops 2 / Borderlands 2

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJ0k3r View Post
    I wouldn't doubt the possibility of another civil war! There has been groups organizing all over the US just in case a civil war does break out! It's a huge possibility, not here to preach politics but I believe it's going to be in result of Obama being re-elected

If that's the case then it's overreaction-ville.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

14. Likes Kuro likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    My father owns a house in North Carolina. I'll be heading there for sure if anything goes down.
    If your close enough we could do a Bro-Dinner if you wanted to.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    If your close enough we could do a Bro-Dinner if you wanted to.
    By candlelight and wine. And if you all have too much wine and start feeling frisky, well...who knows what might happen

I doubt this would ever work but ya never know I suppose.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Forum Sage

It's not so much because of Obama but more because the federal government has been usurping power and overstepping its authority. You don't push bills like CISPA, NDAA, Patriot Act, Affordable Care Act, push a war on drugs, war on terror, undeclared wars of foreign interventionism and adventurism, while having kill lists, TSA and adding departments that serve no purpose but to undermine the individual liberties of your citizens without creating an enemy of your citizens. Actions have consequences. It isn't just a few dozen thousand citizens pot marked across the nation that want this. I'm willing to wager it's in the millions.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    By candlelight and wine. And if you all have too much wine and start feeling frisky, well...who knows what might happen

I doubt this would ever work but ya never know I suppose.
    I would just enjoy a waffle house dinner and just talk about life, school, money and eat of course.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So what if they get the amoutn of sigs to get a response the response can be "we are takign this matter into consideration"

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Here is the plan to solve the debt and our secession problem. U.S. Firesale! Everything must go! Sell Texas back to Mexico for a princely sum and sell Louisiana back to the French. Step two set up an alligator swamp on the border of Louisiana to patrol our boarder. Lastly Just as a show of friendship, give Canada North Dakota, or "South Canada" as i like to call it. /sarcasm.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Sounds like stupid over hype $#@! that will never happen.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    The sense of entitlement people have in this country is $#@!ing disgraceful.

The candidate you voted for didn't win? Tough $#@!. You don't always get what you want. Maybe they should have done a better job electing a republican candidate who wasn't a complete $#@!tard. I'd have had no problem voting for him.

23. Likes Cyklops, Fon , sainraja likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    Yeah the things people say they're gonna do is pure wrong but something must be done I sorry but this country isn't gonna fair to well in the future!

Special thanks to zzKurozz for the Signature and Avatar!
    Prodigy - A young one, endowed with exceptional abilities.
    Currently Playing: MoH: Warfighter / Assassin's Creed 3 / GW2
    Waiting For: CoD: Black Ops 2 / Borderlands 2

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    I'm moving to texas.... Lmao
    I'll show you how we do it in the south

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I have a couple friends that have moved to texas and from texas. Heard good things about pay and housing there better than FL "pay wise"

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran
    It seems like the joke is on all of those signees when they find out they aren't going anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    They'll get over it.

Thread Information