Latest PSU headlines:

Best Tablet PC for handwriting recognition?

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone here has experience with tablet PC's and handwriting recognition. Here is the situation:

I need to write a large number of work instructions for some fairly complex jobs and need to both simplify the process as well as cut down the time needed.

My thought was that a tablet PC with handwriting recognition & a camera would allow me to write on the fly and take the pictures I want and have all the text in electronic form that I can just cut & paste into the instruction program.

Would the handwriting recognition be a factor of make & model, OS, app's, ?

If anyone has any prior experience or knowledge in this area I would appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH
    Now there's no more oak oppression,
    For they passed a noble law,
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe, and saw.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Hey F34R, thank you very much

Do you have any hands-on experience with this? Nothing beats a first hand review which is why I posted as well as just searched.

I'll look over what you linked in the morning.

Again, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH
    Now there's no more oak oppression,
    For they passed a noble law,
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe, and saw.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You're welcome. It's what I'm here for.

I haven't personally, but I can try and get to some to try them out. That site has a bunch of people that give their impressions, opinions, etc. Definitely a good place or some research.

Quite simply what is the Tablet PC with the best ahndwriting recognition, i have ledgable but untidy handwriting and dont want to risk buying something i cant use, i've looked at the Toshiba R15 because it works with my budget, as does the Acer C310 (the batery life is also preferable), but i've no real idea how any of the tablets perform with handwriting recognition.
    Please advise, Thanks.

Forum Guru
    Windows 8 (hate to say it) is actually very well suited to tablet pcs tho I still don't see a point to it on desktops and laptops to be honest with you. More hastle then its worth for the time being without a touchscreen imho. Handwriting recognition isnt bad and it actually will learn your handwriting the more you use it. This is the first Windows machine I've had since Windows 98ish.. As I always install Linux so unsure how the handwriting recognition is handles prior to 8. Im unable to install Linux on the new Atom chips as of yet if ever... :'(

I now use a Samsung Ativ 500T for drawing, note taking and basic computer needs. Im coming from my beloved HP TC1100 and Motion LE1600 which are great devices and can be found cheap. Id probably say check up on the Motion LE1700 tho which can still be found fairly cheap. LS800 if you want something small is also a pretty good bet.

These are Active Digitizer Wacom Penabled Slates. No capacitive (finger) touch. The TC1100 has a twiveling(sp?) detachable kb dock and the LE16/1700 do have a keyboard docking station/screen cover option available. LS800 doesnt.

The ATIV is awesome, tho probably 2x what ur looking to pay, but IMHO well worth it. 6/650 tablet only and 7/750 with keyboard dock(no battery like transformer docks). I easily get 10hr battery life, micro hdmi, 1 usb 2.0 on the slate, 2 on the keyboard, 16:9 aspect ratio (1366x76 over the the above mentioned 4:3 slates, wacom and capacitive touch, A03 model available at the MSs store has NFC for the same price.. Att has a 3g/lte varient but no stylud silo on the tablet... Dunno why. itll play most older legacy games fine and the apps from the Windows store but modern pc games? It BARELY is able to run World of Warcraft. Storage may be an issue. 64gb non removable internal storage which after the windows install and recovery partition leaves you with 32-35 depending on which preinstalled junk you keep or remove. The slate does have a microSD slot tho so u can toss in 64gb card.

If you want more performance and are willing to sacrifice about half your battery life, the ATIV 700 has a Core i5 and HD4200(i believe) 1080p screen but goes for 1100. Id wait till Feb 8th n buy the surface pro for 900 myself over the ATIV 700, but the keyboard situation is abit different. The ATIV kb it much like the transformers. U dock it and it will support the weight of the tablet like a regular laptop. The surface on the other hand, the kb does not support the slate. It dangles for lack of a better term so it can flip to the front and act as a screen cover and flip behind the device out of the way. In order to use it as a laptop you would need the room to flip out the kickstand which imo is an annoying balancing act if you want to use it in "laptop" mode in your lap with all the weght on the stand... XD

Lenovo Thinkpad 2 is another newbie to the tablet pc space. (The original Thinkpad Tablet being a penabled Android tablet which you may or may not want to look into. The Galaxy Note 10.1 or the upcoming Note 8 aswell if your looking for a wacom enabled Android tablet) Back to the TP2, it goes for about 500 I believe. Same specs as the ATIV 500 but the keyboard it bluetooth and doesnt actually connect to the tablet. The tablet just sits in its little dockin slot. Nice device tho, and better feeling bundled stylus.

I say stay away from ASUS' Vivotab for the time being. You pay a premium over other current tablets whilecrecieving thr same specs and while it is currently very buggy, ASUS has yet to offer any kind of support for the device as of yet. No driver/software updates no nada. Owners have been pulling drivers and updates from competing devices. They don't even acknowledge the devices existence when you contact customer support. Avoid until they at least support it.. Sad too. Its a solid feeling device. i hate Samsungs use of kinda cheap feeling plastic. The Ativ is plastic much like the Galaxy S3s just much bigger. The Vivitab is aluminum and feels much more solid.

All these device are compatible with each others and other Wacom Penabled Stylii including Wacoms new Bamboo "Feel" stylus. It is mine and many others understanding that Wacoms 'new' "Feel" branding is mearly a friendlier rebranding of the old "Penabled" tech from days of Tabler PC past.

Ahh mahn lemme pull back.... I can keep goin n goin n going... Hope I was abit helpful. Lol
    Last edited by faaeng; 01-28-2013 at 19:59.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Thread Information