Latest PSU headlines:

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 414 ... LastLast
    Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Not that surprising since it uses the a 1997 CPU derivative
    Similar architecture, similar security problems
    The Wii is a couple gamecube taped together and the Wii U is another taped onto the stack?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    The WiiU has also already been hacked.
    If you are talking about the video by fail0verflow, the video never shows the Wii U. But I think he was able to hack in to the original Wii part of the console. Basically this hack will be a standard Wii U with a hacked Wii built in. Allowing you to play classic, Gamecube, and Wii titles.

But nothing has been confirmed yet. Once it is confirmed, I will be buying another Wii U.

3. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    So I just looked at the DF AC3 faceoff for Wii U and as a general rule for framrate:
    Xbox 360 = xfps
    PS3 = (x-2)fps
    Wii U = (x-4)fps

There are some oddities where PS3 overtakes the 360 by 4-8fps in ocean sequences and some harbor areas

As far as image quality is concerned, you are fooling yourself if you think one version looks better than the other two.It is entirely a placebo effect imho cuz I watched them in 720p and there is NO distinguishable difference other than 360's signature darker black levels

5. Likes F34R likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    So I just looked at the DF AC3 faceoff for Wii U and as a general rule for framrate:
    Xbox 360 = xfps
    PS3 = (x-2)fps
    Wii U = (x-4)fps

There are some oddities where PS3 overtakes the 360 by 4-8fps in ocean sequences and some harbor areas

As far as image quality is concerned, you are fooling yourself if you think one version looks better than the other two.It is entirely a placebo effect imho cuz I watched them in 720p and there is NO distinguishable difference other than 360's signature darker black levels

lol you need to play them in person on a tv where the games are actually displayed. Then you will see the true differences. Not sure how this "placebo" affected my wifes opinion when she does not give 2 $#@!s about games. It literally took my wife seconds to decide the Wii U version looked better. And she had no idea which one she was looking at.

Everyone arguing my judgement has not even experienced the games for themselves. You guys are going by other peoples opinions, and some YouTube videos. Play them both for yourself, at the same time as I did. Then make a valid opinion.

I have been playing games for many, many, many years. I know the differences in games when I play them. And in this case, they are NOT hard to spot.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    360 best
    PS3 not so best
    Wii u definitely not better than either

That's just how it is. I've played all three. I've been playing games since before the last poster was born.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    360 best
    PS3 not so best
    Wii u definitely not better than either

That's just how it is. I've played all three. I've been playing games since before the last poster was born.

That is fine, nothing wrong with your opinion. I just could not get past all the screen tearing on the PS3 version. It was driving me crazy. And the colors on the PS3 look a little washed out.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    That is fine, nothing wrong with your opinion. I just could not get past all the screen tearing on the PS3 version. It was driving me crazy. And the colors on the PS3 look a little washed out.
    I agree there are some difference that each console outshines the other, and so forth. Nothing wrong with that aspect of your discussion so far. That's spot on.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    This is still going on? Lol

Agree to disagree I guess. Haven't played any ports on my wii U yet

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Power Member
    Items User name style
    lol you need to play them in person on a tv where the games are actually displayed. Then you will see the true differences. Not sure how this "placebo" affected my wifes opinion when she does not give 2 $#@!s about games. It literally took my wife seconds to decide the Wii U version looked better. And she had no idea which one she was looking at.

Everyone arguing my judgement has not even experienced the games for themselves. You guys are going by other peoples opinions, and some YouTube videos. Play them both for yourself, at the same time as I did. Then make a valid opinion.

I have been playing games for many, many, many years. I know the differences in games when I play them. And in this case, they are NOT hard to spot.
    Just a quick question....what res was each game played at? Is your Wii U set to 1080p by chance?
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Just a quick question....what res was each game played at? Is your Wii U set to 1080p by chance?

Yes, my Wii U is set up to play at 1080p.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Yes, my Wii U is set up to play at 1080p.
    In which case isn't it going to look better to you anyway because its been upscaled? Doesn't the PS3 version only play at 720p? Or have they fixed that?
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    In which case isn't it going to look better to you anyway because its been upscaled? Doesn't the PS3 version only play at 720p? Or have they fixed that?

Pretty sure they were both at 1080p. Not that anyone would tell a difference between 720p and 1080p......

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Pretty sure they were both at 1080p. Not that anyone would tell a difference between 720p and 1080p......
    And you are telling me what would look better to me, after I explained everything in full detail? My opinion has not, and will not change. I have put a very large amount of time in to both versions. I am going to side with my own judgement on this one.

Dedicated Member
    Not that surprising since it uses the a 1997 CPU derivative
    Similar architecture, similar security problems
    Most likely due to insecure code, not CPU architecture.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    And you are telling me what would look better to me, after I explained everything in full detail? My opinion has not, and will not change. I have put a very large amount of time in to both versions. I am going to side with my own judgement on this one.
    I'm just saying that, given what everyone who has anaylized them has said, and the fact that you ps3 version isn't being natively upscaled (maybe your tv is doing it), that just maybe what you are seeing is simply down to a resolution difference?
    And if you are forcing AC3 into 1080p why would you do that on the PS3? There isnt native upscaler which means your putting extra workload on the Ps3.
    Unless something has changed in the past 5 years?
    Last edited by mynd; 12-08-2012 at 23:47.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    I'm just saying that, given what everyone who has anaylized them has said, and the fact that you ps3 version isn't being natively upscaled (maybe your tv is doing it), that just maybe what you are seeing is simply down to a resolution difference?
    And if you are forcing AC3 into 1080p why would you do that on the PS3? There isnt native upscaler which means your putting extra workload on the Ps3.
    Unless something has changed in the past 5 years?
    I have not forced anything. Both games were played with the same settings. If the consoles dropped down to 720p while playing, then it did it automatically which is always the case. I did not go out of my way to set a resolution for either game.

To sum it up, I played these games with default settings. If the PS3 drops down to 720p, then that is what happened when I compared these games. Same with the Wii U.

Ancient
    I have not forced anything. Both games were played with the same settings. If the consoles dropped down to 720p while playing, then it did it automatically which is always the case. I did not go out of my way to set a resolution for either game.

To sum it up, I played these games with default settings. If the PS3 drops down to 720p, then that is what happened when I compared these games. Same with the Wii U.
    AC3 don't look good in 1080 on PS3, something off about it like it has a mosaic look to it.
    And I have to force it by unclicking 720p to get 1080p
    Some games are ok though, AC is not
    Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 12-09-2012 at 00:13.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Power Member
    Items User name style

Perhaps then for the sake fairness you should be viewing both in 720p? As this is what DF etc do.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Perhaps then for the sake fairness you should be viewing both in 720p? As this is what DF etc do.

The PS3 was definitely playing in 720p as I just tested it out. I assume the Wii U was in 1080p, I will test it out in a min.

Edit - The Wii U is in 1080p.
    Last edited by Lethal; 12-09-2012 at 00:59.

PSU Technical Advisor
    What mynd is trying to say Lethal, is that because the PS3 does not have a dedicated upscaler chip (as in physically in the silicon) it has to go to extra effort in order to 'upscale' a title to 1080p. Or it has something that's only capable of going half way, I forget the details. tldr; it's upscaler is gimped.

The WiiU, though, does have a scaler.

So Mynd is just saying for the sake of a legitimate comparison extra steps should be taken or what have you. Because DF definitely got different results. Certain aspects about how a game appears is certainly subjective- like art style, filters, or what have you. In other ways, though, it just isn't. Or at least most would say it is not.

Like a game having a lower or stuttering frame rate would not be considered better. Having a lowered DOF or render distance, lacking AA, etc. Some people may prefer it looks better like this... But I've yet to meet them.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    The PS3 was running in 720p. The Wii U was running at 1080p. I never force 1080p on the PS3.

Hopefully you guys will be able to compare the games for yourselves at some point. I watched the DF comparisons and my experiences on my tv are not the same.
    Last edited by Lethal; 12-09-2012 at 02:44.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    The PS3 was definitely playing in 720p as I just tested it out. I assume the Wii U was in 1080p, I will test it out in a min.

Edit - The Wii U is in 1080p.
    So you will see a difference between the 2 either way then.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Funny quote from a guy at Beyond3D:

I don't think the people who designed the hardware are a bunch of morons. I think the people who came up with the BoM limits are the true morons.

In some product management 101 classes they teach that, at least during the 80s and early 90s, the westerners designed for purpose first, while the japanese designed for manufacturing cost first, and if they couldn't make the product within the cost limits, the project would be shelved even if it surpassed it for a hundred yen.
    This different mentality allowed lots of japanese brands to invade the western markets with much more cost-effective solutions in electronics before the turn of the century.

Of course, that was 20 years ago and now we live in an era where the most successful consumer electronics company in the world are the guys who make people pay 2x more than the competition for having screens with subjectively prettier colors, rounder corners and 1% faster scrolling.

The top guys at Sony have obviously got the message that we're not in the 80s anymore. The morons over at Nintendo didn't get this, yet.

We can guess, from looking at die sizes and BoMs from graphics cards, that having a 3x more powerful GPU and a CPU that runs twice as fast, along with 2/3x the memory bandwidth probably wouldn't cost them much more per unit, while making the console ready for true next-gen ports. The same goes to a capacitive screen, a larger gamepad battery and a higher-resolution panel.

I can't see how a group of engineers that reach the position of leading hardware design at AMD and/or Nintendo wouldn't prefer to have a larger hardware budget and make a blast of its system for showing-off.

I think these guys simply had their hands tied the moment Nintendo established their budget limit, and this was simply the best they could do with a budget of 4 Happy Meals from McDonald's.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Funny quote from a guy at Beyond3D:

[/I][/I][/I]
    That is pretty funny and makes a lot of sense as well. Insightful to say the least

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    well, to be honest, I was going to buy this WiiU but I have changed my mind and it's mainly because of the tablet. Nintendo I personally think made a stupid decision with the WiiU. I am so sick of Nintendos funky controlls on every new console they make, the controllers get more weird and it's not a good thing. I liked the N64 but that controller was $#@!in disgusting in terms of comfort and awkward handing. They go from NES to SNES with normal controllers then make N64 with a $#@!ed up controller but still playable to awkward gamecube buttons to the Wii and now the WiiU with a weird tablet. ugh

my point is, is Nintendo keeps on coming out with butt ugly weird tech systems and it's going to bite them in the ass pretty soon here.

Thread Information