Trying to put in a new Hard Drive. Please help!

So I wanted to put in a new hard drive for more space. I followed directions to the T.

I used the back up utility to back up the files.
    Put in the new drive.
    PS3 didn't recognize anything so I had to download the latest update and install that.
    Have to go through initial set-up:set time, internet connection, etc...
    Go to back up utility to restore the files.
    Gets to 99 or even 100% and an error message comes up saying that the action cannot be completed. (800283F0)

I'm going to put in the old drive and try to do the back-up again but am I missing anything? Is there something I'm not doing right?

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Id di a google of the code and it came with meaning the backup is corrupted soem suggest to remove any themes you have downloaded or installed as theirs were corrupted.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/.../td-p/17219414

Also after readign that it seems the restore feature is very hit and miss.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-18-2012 at 15:33.

Hmmm, okay I'll try that.

EDIT: So even though it got to 100 percent complete and gave me the error, it did transfer themes and saved game data just not downloaded games. So I'll go ahead and download a game and see if I can save from my last point.

Which leads me to my next question:
    I should probably unactivate my account on the old hard drive then, right? Because I am game sharing with my brother. So the way I see it, games are already activated on 2 systems.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    If I remember the console its self is activated not the content on the HDD as for restoring the back-up it would be most likely a corrupted piece of data from a game or data install for example I was going through my friends PS3 because he was nearly full and it took nearly 25mins to delete one game's data install think it was Resistance 3 as its a common things searching the net.

Though its a pain and if you can spare the time I would probably delete everything and re download it all but if it's working then I would just carry on using it all.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    All I can say is have fun and good luck! If you're not experienced with this stuff don't attempt it. You will only end up ruining your console. Don't trust online sources for this stuff either!!!

If you want it done right try to find a good friend that is tech savy with this stuff, or just find a cheap professional! That'll be your best bet to get the job done safe and sound and fairly quick as well.

Special thanks to zzKurozz for the Signature and Avatar!
    Prodigy - A young one, endowed with exceptional abilities.
    Currently Playing: MoH: Warfighter / Assassin's Creed 3 / GW2
    Waiting For: CoD: Black Ops 2 / Borderlands 2

Okay so I got everything there except for all the actual downloaded games which I am going through now and redownloading. I tried out 1 game and it took off right where I last saved. So here's hoping everything is like that.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    Good job! Hope all is well for ya in this situation!

Special thanks to zzKurozz for the Signature and Avatar!
    Prodigy - A young one, endowed with exceptional abilities.
    Currently Playing: MoH: Warfighter / Assassin's Creed 3 / GW2
    Waiting For: CoD: Black Ops 2 / Borderlands 2

Elite Guru
    The backup should have worked perfectly. The process my take for ever but it's ridiculously simple because this is really the only thing its meant for (transferring between two drives on the same system), which makes me think there was an issue in the back up that caused the problem... or maybe, did you deactivate the system from your account before restoring? Because that might have turned off your access to the game content.

When I switched from the original 60gb drive to a 320gb drive I got all my games back. There's no need to deactivate the old drive as the PS3 will just ask you to reformat it if you try to reinstall it, but hang on to it anyway incase you have to send the system to sony for some reason as they dont guarantee you'll get your old drive back.

Thread Information