Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Source: Windows 8 sales 'well below' expectations

Windows 8 is off to a slow start. That's according to a "trusted source at Microsoft" who told Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows that sales of the new operating system are "well below Microsoft's internal projections" and have even been spoken of as "disappointing."

This mystery source said Microsoft is placing the blame on PC makers, noting that the shortcomings are due to an "inability to deliver" on their behalf. Microsoft recently began competing with its partners by launching its proprietary Surface tablet line.

Microsoft has officially sold 4 million copies of Windows 8, with Surface sales described as "modest." Last week, longtime Microsoft executive and Windows president Steven Sinofsky left the company after 23 years.
    via Gamespot.

I'm not surprised. I've heard nothing but bad things about the new OS.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

PSU Technical Advisor
    The biggest problem is how radical of a departure it is from the traditional desktop. IF they had opted to use the new interface as an optional thing, instead of forcing everyone to boot into it, things might be different imo.

Because when you're practically giving away the latest version of Windows and the sales are "disappointing" you're doing something wrong.

I appreciate alot of the changes they made in Win8, especially performance wise. But I don't like the Metro UI being crammed down my throat, and I don't care for the increasingly walled garden approach of Microsoft.

PC should be an open platform.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Pretty much what I was going to say.

I also think the Metro UI looks boring. I can see how user-friendly it would be for tablets and smartphones but it looks out-of-place on PCs.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Yep, I won't even get it for free... so the sales have to follow suit lol.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    I think it was a mistake not to release Surface Pro along side the RT version or at least one with an atom processor. I think he wait is going to turn away a lot of impulse buyers that would have bought the Surface Pro(even at a high price).

I was going to buy one myself but ended up talking myself out of it. I decided on a Nexus 7 and a Wii U. I figured between these I will get a lot more out of my money (even saving some) and that the Nexus 7 would fill most of my needs for a tablet(or at least what I was wanting one for).

Edit: Don't know why I was thinking it said Surface(guess due to looking into tablets so much this past few days).
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 11-26-2012 at 08:47.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i don't like it, my parents can't even use it. no one i know appreciates it over 7... what kind of market research did they do?

i know my small sample size doesn't mean much, but next to never do we have such similar dislikes.

as a tablet operating system; yes, i like it. but for a desktop computer...
    I appreciate alot of the changes they made in Win8, especially performance wise. But I don't like the Metro UI being crammed down my throat, and I don't care for the increasingly walled garden approach of Microsoft.

^This pretty much.

i only know one person who has win8, and it came pre installed on a new PC. you'd never guess what the first conversation we had was....

i $#@! you not when i quote this:
    "where is windows"

Sig courtesy of the_jim

7. Likes Admartian , Ghost likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    My little sister, 11 yrs old, got a new laptop for xmas from her grandparents (maternal)... it was loaded with Win8. It was abysmal to see how much she had to learn to use it for pure basics.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    The biggest problem is how radical of a departure it is from the traditional desktop. IF they had opted to use the new interface as an optional thing, instead of forcing everyone to boot into it, things might be different imo.

Because when you're practically giving away the latest version of Windows and the sales are "disappointing" you're doing something wrong.

Pretty much this. Well said.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Meh, that just means that businesses that are selling those computers have "purchased" those licenses. 40 million people haven't bought a license. Sorry.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Personally I won't even bother with win8. I'll probably have to deal with it at work anyway, that's enough. Next month I move to an iMac.

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I decided NO for the iMac based on the enormous prices for the ram upgrades...lets go to the apple thread and i can hammer apple.. ....anyways. On to trashing more of Win 8 .

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Meh, that just means that businesses that are selling those computers have "purchased" those licenses. 40 million people haven't bought a license. Sorry.
    #1 This is how MS has always reported numbers, funny how people didn't have a problem when they released Windows 7 numbers this way.

But when 8 is on track to displace 7, people throw a fit, hmm.

#2 Why do you assume business pc's come preloaded with 8? They don't seeing as MS still sells Windows 7 to OEM's and end users. So so much for that theory, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    Personally I won't even bother with win8. I'll probably have to deal with it at work anyway, that's enough. Next month I move to an iMac.

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk
    There is a simple saying: Adapt or die. I think you will find this to be the case with Windows 8 and future versions of windows. Better to adapt now then to suffer later.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    #1 This is how MS has always reported numbers, funny how people didn't have a problem when they released Windows 7 numbers this way.

But when 8 is on track to displace 7, people throw a fit, hmm.

#2 Why do you assume business pc's come preloaded with 8? They don't seeing as MS still sells Windows 7 to OEM's and end users. So so much for that theory, lol.

There is a simple saying: Adapt or die. I think you will find this to be the case with Windows 8 and future versions of windows. Better to adapt now then to suffer later.
    Read my post again... "businesses that sell them..." That means, Best Buy, Staples, Wal-Mart, etc. Those are "businesses that sell them". They are ALL preloaded with Win 8. So there isn't any assumption that business pc's are Win 8 preloaded.
    I don't see where people are throwing a fit based on Win 8 displacing Win 7.

Forum Sage
    Read my post again... "businesses that sell them..." That means, Best Buy, Staples, Wal-Mart, etc. Those are "businesses that sell them". They are ALL preloaded with Win 8. So there isn't any assumption that business pc's are Win 8 preloaded.
    I don't see where people are throwing a fit based on Win 8 displacing Win 7.
    Ok, but to assume that most consumers will shill out extra $$$ for Windows 7 on a consumer laptop (you can only downgrade 8 pro, most consumer computers ship with the standard version) is a bit of a stretch.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Ok, but to assume that most consumers will shill out extra $$$ for Windows 7 on a consumer laptop (you can only downgrade 8 pro, most consumer computers ship with the standard version) is a bit of a stretch.
    Again, assumptions? What does your post have to do with me? I didn't say anything about people buying win 7 instead of 8. Look... 40 million licenses "sold"... that doesn't mean 40 million people bought win 8. That number is represented largely by retail stores selling computers. Period. Sure, people have bought the upgrade, or the full version of the software, but that is in such a minority for sure.

Supreme Veteran
    I'm liking Windows 8, it's stable and uses less resources than Windows 7 did which is also stable.

I got it for $15 and I'm happy with it.

/me waits for Vulgotha and the Mrs. Doubtfire flipping the bird .gif
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    from what i've seen, Win8 is alot 'slower' to use: Fitts's Law slower...i know it performs better.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by A7MAD View Post
    I'm liking Windows 8, it's stable and uses less resources than Windows 7 did which is also stable.

I got it for $15 and I'm happy with it.

/me waits for Vulgotha and the Mrs. Doubtfire flipping the bird .gif
    I dunno, if I can find it for that cheap, I might give it a try. Maybe.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i got some hands on today xD

Tablet Win8... FREAKING EPIC!!

PC Win8... meh!

This was the tablet that was running win8 and it was slick. i WILL get me one of these!

played around with the PC version and it feels weird...everything seems so far away. movements are too big. the metro (or whatever they've decided to rename it), as far as im concerned does not need to be on a PC: it sucks sweaty monkey balls.

this desktop OS was made with for a tablet. it's clear to see after using both of them as the PC version feel unintuitive by comparison
    there is a lot of needless motion on the wrist
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

22. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Microsoft need to get their heads out of their asses, and blaming the computer manufacturers is a $#@! move. They should have done some proper research before trying to force this on the public, I don't know a single person who wants it.

Its basically Windows 7 with some $#@!ty touch interface on top of it and no one had a touch monitor anyway! We all saw this "Vista 2" coming. Bring on Windows 9.

EDIT: Trying to to cross the OS over different format is just stupid, Keep the PC OS separate from your tablets in future.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    i got some hands on today xD

Tablet Win8... FREAKING EPIC!!

PC Win8... meh!

This was the tablet that was running win8 and it was slick. i WILL get me one of these!

played around with the PC version and it feels weird...everything seems so far away. movements are too big. the metro (or whatever they've decided to rename it), as far as im concerned does not need to be on a PC: it sucks sweaty monkey balls.

this desktop OS was made with for a tablet. it's clear to see after using both of them as the PC version feel unintuitive by comparison
    there is a lot of needless motion on the wrist
    What makes it epic?

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    What makes it epic?
    it's essentially win8 in the palm of your hand.

the particular tablet i was playing around with had a keyboard dock and pen/stylus thing. when you're using it as a tablet, the OS makes sense. even more-so with the setup i was playing around with.

you can type on the keyboard for ease of use then once done, pull the tablet off and you're away. still working on the OS

however, using it on a desktop does not yield the same experience. as i said. fitts's law was strangely absent from the designers minds.

where as my finger is capable of moving across the entire screen, moving the mouse around is no where near as fluid. to liken it to something; moving the mouse felt like gaming. i had to lift the mouse up to adjust my wrist to keep the cursor still so i could finish my motion

this is using metro (or whatever they've renamed it to) though... it really has no place on a PC T.T
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Microsoft need to get their heads out of their asses, and blaming the computer manufacturers is a $#@! move. They should have done some proper research before trying to force this on the public, I don't know a single person who wants it.

Its basically Windows 7 with some $#@!ty touch interface on top of it and no one had a touch monitor anyway! We all saw this "Vista 2" coming. Bring on Windows 9.

EDIT: Trying to to cross the OS over different format is just stupid, Keep the PC OS separate from your tablets in future.
    Lol, are you trying to be taken seriously with this post?

Computer manufacturer respectfully share part of the blame for failing to supply their new form factor pc's in adequate quantities on time for the launch. Also for just taking many previous PC's that ran windows 7 and selling them with windows 8 hoping that they would sell just because of that.

And trust me, nobody does more research on these sorts of things than MS.

Windows 8 is a significantly improved OS over windows 7, as was vistaa post SP1 compared to XP. Oh and windows 9 isn't going to drop the "modern" start menu.

Besides did you expect MS to sell you an OS with the same essential interface since windows 95 for the next few decades?

And btw, what exactly are you doing on windows that involves you being in the start menu so much. The Desktop works the same way as it did in windows 7 so there isn't any issue there.

As for the future of computers, sales have shifted to favor laptops much more significantly than desktops. And within laptops the trend is to smaller, more portable devices, many of which have touchscreens. (or will in the future). Touch is in the future of traditional computing, we won't be solely tethered to keyboards and mice.

And having a common interface across multiple devices is a smart thing in the long run. Also its a better strategy to unifiy the base components of OS's across devices.

What do you think the ios ui will look like in 5 years? I bet it likely stays the same. So much for that strategy.

But go ahead in revel in the archaic eras of computing history.

Selected Members Council
    I don't see anything wrong with sticking to the more traditional desktop interface, if not for the simple fact that I wouldn't have to worry about getting a bunch of fingerprints on my screen. And it's not like the keyboard, mouse, and start menu were ever broken. Apart from a performance boost, I don't really see a compelling reason to make the switch.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-29-2012 at 20:56.

Thread Information