Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

[Nintendo Wii U] Wii U Review

At one point Nintendo was the king of consoles. Who could forget the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and the Nintendo 64? Who could possibly decrown the almighty Nintendo?
    Well....Nintendo could. Nintendo has been in a spiraling decline since the glory days of the Nintendo 64. The Gamecube released and was actually more powerful than the PS2, and yet it failed to get the 3rd party support that the PS2 had. So how would Nintendo follow up with their next console? By releasing the Gamecube again!!!!!!! But this time they gave it a new mask and added some motion controllers. How long would it take for consumers to see through Nintendo's tricks? About as long as it took you to figure out the cheat in 100 pin Wii bowling!!!!!!

But with all of that said, why would anyone want to buy a console that still shares the tainted name that is the "Wii"? Continue reading to see if you are being tricked by Nintendo for a second time.

The Console
    Lets start with the front of the console.
    Power button
    Eject button
    Sync button
    Slot for inserting disc
    SD card reader
    2 USB ports

The rear of the console.
    Power and sensor bar ports
    2 USB ports
    HDMI port

The console itself feels pretty sturdy. It looks similar to the original Wii, but it has more rounded edges and is longer in depth. Since the Wii U does not support Gamecube games, there are no external controller ports, or Gamecube memory card slots.

The Wii U also supports 25gb Blu-Ray based discs.

I purchased the 8gb model because I knew Nintendo allowed for external storage. I had a 16gb USB thumb drive laying around, so I decided to use that for now. Nintendo has stated that they recommend you do not go over 2TB, and that your external hard drive should have it's own power source.
    You will want to power the Wii U down before plugging in the external storage. Once you power back on, you will be prompted on screen to format the drive so the Wii U can access it. Once you format the drive, you are done. You will know that the Wii U is reading the external drive by the blue hdd logo in the bottom left corner of the tablet screen.

The tablet controller
    This controller features a 6.2" touchscreen. This is easily the key feature of the Wii U. The controller has your standard buttons and dual analog sticks. It sports a front facing camera and a stylus tucked at the top of the controller. There is also a home button which acts the same as the PS3 and Xbox 360 center buttons. The tablet also has two speakers and a microphone.

This controller does have one button that no other gaming controllers have, the TVii button. This button will allow you to use your tablet to control your cable box and or TV without the need of any other remotes. Getting the tablet to connect to the cable box and tv was very easy to do. Simply follow the on screen steps and choose your cable provider, followed by your TV manufacturer. It is really as simple as that.

The tablet does more than just change your channels though, it allows you to access your Wii U without even turning your TV on. You can access your Miiverse, eShop, system settings, Netflix, and pretty much anything else the Wii U offers.

I decided to test out Netflix and I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly the movies go from the tv, to your tablet. Once you press the swap button, the movie is immediately transferred to tablet without any delay.

The tablet also has a gyroscope and rumble feature.

Update - The gamepad seems to drain very quickly when you transfer the output from the TV, to your gamepad. You will pretty much want to keep the controller plugged in if you decide you want to play your games in bed or something.

The Operating system and apps
    The Wii U OS is pretty similar to the 3DS and original Wii. You have 3 rows with 5 squares across which represent your channels. By pressing the right and left trigger buttons, you can scroll through 6 pages. The pages will remain empty until you download more games, apps, movies, etc.

When you first load up your console, you will notice that you already have the following apps. Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Video, YouTube, Miiverse, Mii maker, System Settings, Daily Log, and Parental Controls. Hulu Plus, Amazon Video, and YouTube are currently not available for use. Those services, and the TVii service, will be available sometime in December.

Miiverse is an interesting way to communicate with other Wii U users. Through Miiverse, you will find "Communities". These are tied in to specific games. Each game that is released for the Wii U, will have it's own community. Here you can chat with other players about the game you are playing. You will get a notification when someone replies to your question, or your answer.

You can click your "Activity Feed" to quickly locate all of your posts in case you forgot where you were last. You can also follow or send friend requests through these communities. There is also a "Search User" option to locate other users.

I have noticed that closing down some apps can take up to 10 seconds before getting back to the home page. Hopefully Nintendo will be able to speed this up with future updates.

The Miiverse is really everything you need for online communications. Messages and notifications are also viewed here. You can also take in game screenshots through Miiverse. While playing a game, go to your Miiverse and from there you will be able to take snapshots.

From what you have been reading so far, I assume you noticed that the friend codes are no longer being used. Nintendo has finally allowed you to create your own username which is locked to your console.

Mii Maker
    Unfortunately, the Mii Maker has not changed. It is exactly the same as the Wii and 3DS. I was really hoping for more realistic Mii's, but I guess Nintendo wanted to make sure your Mii would still work with original Wii titles.

eShop
    The shop is nicely represented. There are plenty of retail games to purchase and download, but there are no demo's at this time. I also noticed that there are no classic games available yet.

Overall
    Right now I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by well the system works. The tablet controller is more than just a gimmick seeing how I can use it with more than just the Wii U itself. I tested the tablet with Zombi U and Assassin's Creed 3, and I can see how this controller could be a huge selling point. Just being able to see a full map on screen while playing AC3, would make me choose this console over another. Zombi U takes it to a whole new level though. You can read all about it when I review the game later this week.

Is the Wii U perfect? Of course not. Could it replace your PS3 or Xbox 360? Maybe later on down the road, I do not think anyone should go sell their system and pick up a Wii U. But I do think the Wii U could be very successful and Nintendo may be able to redeem a portion of their once enormous reputation.

Please click the link for a deeper look in to the Miiverse.
    Click HERE

Pros:
    External storage allowed
    Multi functional tablet controller
    Miiverse
    Tablet has pretty decent battery life (When not streaming movies or games)
    Blu-Ray format (None of that multi disc crap to worry about)
    Backwards compatible with Wii (after the huge initial firmware update)
    Supports stereoscopic 3D
    Play the games directly on the tablet or TV

Cons:
    No trophy/achievement support
    User ID is locked to console
    eShop is lacking in content
    Slight delay when closing apps
    Tablet uses it's own charging power source
    A huge firmware update during initial setup (takes 60-90mins)
    Does not have a media player
    Gamepad battery drains very quickly when playing games directly on to the device.

Note* This review is not finished and will be updated regularly. I had a much larger review written, but was accidentally deleted.
    Last edited by Lethal; 01-17-2013 at 01:18.

2. Likes MjW , RaY_210 , DeviousOne , TheBreezyBB , 33x , Fijiandoce wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I couldn't get anything other than what appeared to be a document page for Wiiverse. Never worked. The OS is sluggish at least. Take the "tablet" battery life off the pro list too lol. 3.5 hours, 4 tops. The built in storage is extremely LOW for the 8GB version. Games that you have to look away from the tv sometimes are a little crude in that respect. Lack of exclusive games.. You can take "external storage" off the pro's list. Those games and content you buy will be locked to that console.

Honestly, the entire list of pro's can be taken down to the cons, except the backwards compatibility with the Wii, and having the pad controller. Those are the only two that are pro's right now, and the pad controller is more an "IF" than a pro; due to the mediocre battery life.
    Last edited by F34R; 11-21-2012 at 04:01.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I couldn't get anything other than what appeared to be a document page for Wiiverse. Never worked. The OS is sluggish at least. Take the "tablet" battery life off the pro list too lol. 3.5 hours, 4 tops. The built in storage is extremely LOW for the 8GB version. Games that you have to look away from the tv sometimes are a little crude in that respect. Lack of exclusive games.. You can take "external storage" off the pro's list. Those games and content you buy will be locked to that console.

Honestly, the entire list of pro's can be taken down to the cons, except the backwards compatibility with the Wii, and having the pad controller. Those are the only two that are pro's right now, and the pad controller is more an "IF" than a pro; due to the mediocre battery life.
    The Wii U tablet lasts about as long as the Vita. Seeing how the tablet has a larger screen and rumble, I have it on my pros list.

The external storage is also tied to your console. When you format the hard drive, it will only work with the console you formatted it to. This is what I was led to believe. After some Google searches, this is exactly how it is. The external storage is used for downloading games and is linked to the console. Why would I need it for another console? It is a pro that I am able to use my own storage rather than having to buy an over priced Nintendo hard drive.

The Miiverse has always worked for me and I have never had an issue with it.

Lack of exclusive games? The console is a few days old...
    Last edited by Lethal; 11-21-2012 at 04:12.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    The Wii U tablet lasts about as long as the Vita. Seeing how the tablet has a larger screen and rumble, I have it on my pros list.

The external storage is also tied to your console. When you format the hard drive, it will only work with the console you formatted it to. This is what I was led to believe. After some Google searches, this is exactly how it is. The external storage is used for downloading games and is linked to the console.

The Miiverse has always worked for me and I have never had an issue with it.

Lack of exclusive games? The console is a few days old...
    Lasting as long as something else with poor battery life isn't a PRO lol. The rumble? You mean text message vibrations... Yes, the external is linked to the console.. the purchases that go on that external are LOCKED to that console. Meaning, if you had to replace it, you lose all that content you paid for. Having 2 first party games at launch is piss poor. The console isn't a few days old. It's been developed for a while now, as have the games that were launched with it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Lasting as long as something else with poor battery life isn't a PRO lol. The rumble? You mean text message vibrations... Yes, the external is linked to the console.. the purchases that go on that external are LOCKED to that console. Meaning, if you had to replace it, you lose all that content you paid for.

A Pro to me does not have to be a pro for you. You are more than welcome to write up a review. By the way you are knocking it, it seems you are trying to make this console worse than it really is.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I'm more than capable of commenting on the information you are posting. Nothing wrong with that.

How is the battery life of a LARGE area (meaning space to equip a decent battery), that has to power the controller, a screen, and a wifi chip, good at such a low amount of time?
    The rumble is pathetic. It feels like a phone receiving notifications on vibrate.
    Linking purchases and ID's to a console, and can't be transferred, is a 100% CON. That leaves the external storage option walking a thin line. While the ability to use the external storage is actually a good idea, Nintendo erases that with the Net ID and purchases that will be on that storage, locked to the console it was created on, and the one where purchases were done.

I liked the console for sure. The pad was a brilliant addition for what it can do, and the Mario Bros game is fucking brilliant. However, the small area of a + list are overshadowed by the lackluster things that Nintendo threw into the mix.

I'm not critiquing your review. I'm commenting on the Wii U, it's abilities, and problems.
    Last edited by F34R; 11-21-2012 at 04:36. Reason: misspelling.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Im hearing a lot of negative things about this so far.............the fact that there are more cons then pro atm and the price........im more than happy to keep my 360 & PS3 for the time being

Not buying it just for Mario!
    Last edited by 33x; 11-21-2012 at 08:56.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Cool little review!
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Good review, but, i still can't get myself around buying it not a big fan of Nintendo 1st party games at all!! Maybe 10 years ago i was, but not anymore.

And I haven't heard many good things about it so far!

Apprentice
    Dang good review

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Update - The gamepad seems to drain very quickly when you transfer the output from the TV, to your gamepad. You will pretty much want to keep the controller plugged in if you decide you want to play your games in bed or something.

I probably could have saved battery life by adjusting the brightness, and turning off the rumble feature.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Im hearing a lot of negative things about this so far.............the fact that there are more cons then pro atm and the price........im more than happy to keep my 360 & PS3 for the time being

I agree. Hearing way too many negative things about this console.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I agree. Hearing way too many negative things about this console.
    I would buy another one of these Wii U consoles I love this one so much.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    And at the end of the day thats all that really matters.

16. Likes RaY_210 , Lethal wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I'd buy more just to say I have more of them than you! LOL

Ancient
    F34R are we gonna be blessed with a review from you?

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Exactly. Same reason why I didn't buy the original Wii. I'm not buying outdated hardware at premium prices just for the love of Nintendo characters/games. I'll wait until the prices have plummeted(where they should be), just like the Wii prices have, before I purchase. Never was a fan of gimmicky controllers or interfaces either. I'd much rather have a standard controller in my hand. If Nintendo would get back into their pre-Wii frame of mind, ala Gamecube, I'd be stoked.
    Last edited by unicron7; 11-25-2012 at 19:43.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Exactly. Same reason why I didn't buy the original Wii. I'm not buying outdated hardware at premium prices just for the love of Nintendo characters/games. I'll wait until the prices have plummeted(where they should be), just like the Wii prices have, before I purchase. Never was a fan of gimmicky controllers or interfaces either. I'd much rather have a standard controller in my hand. If Nintendo would get back into their pre-Wii frame of mind, ala Gamecube, I'd be stoked.
    This is no gimmicky controller. It is completely bad ass and I bet it is the start of trend for all consoles.

I bought the Wii U mostly for Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

I bought my 360 for Halo and Gears.

I bought my PS3 to be my trophy whoring machine.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    This is no gimmicky controller. It is completely bad ass and I bet it is the start of trend for all consoles.

I approve of this message.

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk

22. Likes Lethal wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica

You know, I never cared for achievements/trophies. But I love what they've done with Miiverse! Whether its just posting that you collected all the star coins of a certain stage in NSMBU, or posting a screenshot of a particular feat, you're not getting just some arbitrary score. I like the fact when you share it, it's not there for show, so to speak. People get to reply and you can converse about whatever.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

24. Likes Lethal wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    The more I use miiverse the more I love it makes me want to play more to I can post more ish lmao.

Its like a video game facebook

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    The more I use miiverse the more I love it makes me want to play more to I can post more ish lmao.

Its like a video game facebook
    I just like drawing pictures and posting them lol. Added one this morning while taking a shit!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Thanks lethal when i see it on miiverse im going to think this guy posted it while taking a shit LMAO

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Thanks lethal when i see it on miiverse im going to think this guy posted it while taking a shit LMAO
    lmao, you will also say, "Damn! Lethal draws great pictures while taking his shits!"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    im going on miiverse right now to see this "shit" LMAO

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information