Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Opinion: We will see PS4 in 2014

Before I go on to my reasoning for this, I'd like for you to close your eyes for a second or two and put on your best suit and tie and grab your leather briefcase for just a moment. Look, I know we're all excited about a new hardware launch, but before we set ourselves for upset we should weigh all the information and explore different possibilities here. We have a lot of information today that can help us connect the dots on the mysteries surrounding the PS4.

One of the biggest reasons I think Sony is in no hurry to launch the PS4 anytime soon is that they were finally (but able to) catch up to the 360 in unit sales with the PS3 this year. Now, as much as the peanut gallery wants to attribute this to a single factor or two in explaining the push/pull relationship Sony has had this generation with the gaming market, the truth is that there were a very large number of factors running against the Playstation 3 from the very start. The PS3 launched at $600 for one thing (and I will circle back on this point later). With MS in full-blown FUD-out mode (remember the $1000 BluRay?) The gaming media declared the PS3 still-born on arrival and decided the year old 360 would be their darling despite very clear signs that it had catastrophic hardware failure rates. Meanwhile, game developers under-utilized it's hardware in the face of a growing Microsoft presence in the console space as well as its position in PC gaming. As a result of this hostile environment, it opened the door for long time Playstation franchises (Final Fantasy, just for example) going cross-platform. Let's not even begin on how advertising was next to non-existent throughout the generation. In short, the PS3 not only managed to stay alive despite these factors, but it has gone toe to toe with MS and come out nose to nose with the competition. There is real strength in the brand and with the new re-design, there is still leg-room to grow.

This brings me to my second reason for thinking that, at the very least, you shouldn't be surprised or shocked that PS4 isn't roaring in to 2013 like Bahamut on roid-rage and pissing Mountain Dew. I give you a link, and it's an important one:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...unch-date-yet/
    Now, on top of opening up one of the most rapidly expanding economies in the world, Sony has been making headway throughout this generation in South America. These things don't get much fanfare, but you can believe they weigh heavily on decisions being made about business cycles. It wouldn't make sense to open a lucrative market for business only to turn around and confuse the market with new hardware. Sony is going to cultivate these emerging markets for Playstation and they are going to do it by having an awfully strong software line up in the next year or two. Do not think for a single second that developers aren't also along for the ride since Sony has won back their support with brute strength (70 million PS3s say Hi). That number is growing, and from what we can all tell, it's growing quickly. With new markets on the way to the game (pun intended), Sony and the developers maximize their dollar by not splitting up costs on new hardware. The end-game has changed, in other words.

Now, speaking of new hardware, let's focus on some other big news. You may have heard of this thing called the Wii-U. It may or may not take off like gangbusters, after all. Some guys named Nintendo make it and I heard a rumor that they completely dominated on the 360 and the PS3 this current generation. If you're asking yourself what does it mean for Sony, then believe me when I say Sony is asking themselves what it means for Sony. As unlikely as it sounds, there's a real possibility that it might not catch on. The economy is nothing like it was in 2006, after all. Casual gamers may feel that "new car smell" hasn't quite come off of that 3DS they play every day and hardcore gamers are pretty leery of Ninty these days. Before I get accused of predicting doom and gloom for the thing, I assure you that having been a fan of the Play-freaking-station 3 for the past 7 years has left me utterly impervious to doom and gloom thinking. The Wii-U could also take off like the Starship Enterprise, and you can bet that all bets are off in Sonyland as far as not announcing and launching a PS4 next year if it does. Sony will not sit by the side of the road and be irrelevant. It's not what they do. Thankfully for them, they have until a few months before E3 2013 to decide to pull that trigger and roll something off their assembly lines.

Did you think something was missing from that last paragraph, and possibly the paragraphs before that? Good, I'll tell you why the 720 doesn't have all of Sony whirling around it. You know it's being shown off at E3 '13 (or perhaps before it, hey, MTV specials yo), your mother knows it's being shown at E3 '13 and most importantly, Kaz Hirai knows that it's being shown at E3 '13. The thing is, Sony has already launched a year after an Xbox. Take a look at all the gloomdoomery in my opening. Guess what? That's.... not gonna happen again. Guess what seals the deal for that not happening again? If you answered with "Not launching at the same time as Ye Box of 720'ness" then I give you a cookie. Whether or not Sony has their hardware specs for PS4 etched in stone remains to be seen, but as sure as there is a Black President and people getting blazed in Colorado, the longer you take to put a final product onto an assembly line then the cheaper the parts become for it. It gets better, though. BluRay is an established technology and coming back around to deliver on what Sony promised it would do for the PS3. There's no STI investment riding on the tail of PS4, as well. In short, it is blissfully Kuturagi free this go around and that is going to translate into savings from day 1. What is going to happen when PS4 finally hits a shelf is that there will be a market that remembers the PS3 going hard and a whole lotta 360s going to the graveyard. Now, if you thought that was a sad attempt at trolling, it was merely a fact of life. The PS4 isn't just going to be cheaper than PS3, it could be a whole lot cheaper, especially if they are launching with DDR4 in 2014 instead of 2013. The target price range could be 3-400, which negates yet another advantage the XBox had this generation... price.

There is some silver lining to this, even for those of you willing to buy a PS4 yesterday. Even if there isn't a new Playstation at E3 2013, it's not like there aren't games to look forward to. It's not like the Playstation 4 isn't going to happen, either. You could bet good money that even if the sky falls on Sony and Toshiba or Samsung buy them out, they will still release a Playstation 4, because there is just too much money to be made. Even if the Wii-U puts Sony on accelerated mode, there are still plenty of things we do not know about the new system to make this all exciting. Just don't count Sony and the PS4 out if it doesn't show up anytime soon. There are plenty of good enough reasons for it not to. The house is not on fire. The pieces are in place for not only a strong launch, but a mature software platform when this thing does come around. You, the Playstation Nation, made it happen.

2. Likes skinny_jr likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Word

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    It depends. Right now from rumors Next Xbox looking to be shown at E3. Now if they show then say release it next year Sony may cut corners to get PS4 out so they do not end up behind again and give Xbox a full year lead. I def think 2014 is when both new systems will come out, unless one gets jump over another.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Forum Elder
    Seriously though, I agree with most of that, and have thought of a couple of those points myself. I dont think the 4 will b launching in '13. Sony really needs to milk this thing, especially with china opening its doors.

I dont own an xbox because I dont care for MS or their business practices (or apple). I just might pick up the new box though if they release with no announcement from sony.

I admit to being a fan of playstation because of the history of the brand. They have delivered on everything I want as a gamer and then some. Not to mrntion they always put out the best hardware.

No matter what ill be picking it up on launch day.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Sage
    I'm questioning the point of this post. All signs point to a 2014 PS4 launch. The reveal could be in 2013, but the launch is less likely.

As for the other parts, I could get into it, but I don't see the point since the truth at this point is blatantly obvious.

7. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    If it doesn't come out by March 2014 I'll be disappointed

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I would be fine for a 2014 release date, but, only if it means a better hardware, big launch lineup and $400 price tag not more. Even though i'm willing to pay more than that when it comes out.

Superior Member
    nice read bro. I would like ps4 asap, it's about time we get graphics that looks better than pixar and cg animation. $400 or less would make me a very happy man
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I suppose that's one way of putting it, even if we've already come to such conclusion.

Ultimate Veteran
    yes we might see PS4 in 2014 and if sony did launch this late and the 720 is allredy on the market then sony get be in trouble.
    sony needs to launch the same year as MS next xbox

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Still got my fingers crossed for 2013 tbh.
    2014 is too late, i'll go back to PC gaming if that happens.

I don't wanna sound butthurt but my (second) PS3 seems to be on it's way out and i don't want to buy a third PS3.
    Make it happen sony - i'd pay 600 bucks again np.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'd love for it to be out holiday season next year. That would be a nice, NICE time.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    The PS4 will absolutely be released by 2014. Personally I think they need to release it by holiday 2013.

It's almost crazy that they are coming out with another system, I know everyone wants it and they want the money; but lets stick with the basics for a bit

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    they dont need to let ms have the market to themselves for call of duty(although cod will be a port from the ps3/360 for the first 3 years).
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenicRouge View Post
    It's almost crazy that they are coming out with another system, I know everyone wants it and they want the money; but lets stick with the basics for a bit
    It is crazy that they have waited this long... 5 years should be the max before a new console is released.

I don't like having the same vehicle for more than 5 years.

I don't like having the same TV for more than 2 years.

And I sure as hell do not like having the same console for more than 5 years.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    It is crazy that they have waited this long... 5 years should be the max before a new console is released.

You've been liking it just fine Mr. Trophy.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post

That is the only thing i would keep using for more than 5 years!!

but, yeah i want a new console soon!!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    While I do see China as a huge market for the PS3 you have to remember one thing, most people over there make horrible pay (which is sad...) and won't be able to afford a PS4/Orbis, so releasing the system sooner than later I personally don't see affecting anything...look how long it took Brazil to get the PS2, nine years!

http://kotaku.com/5407941/today-in-b...e-playstation2

I think they will probably do the same strategy in China, release the older console will larger game library until it gets traction and once the PS4 price point drops down then it will release over there.

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I would be SHOCKED if we see or hear anything about PS4 or Orbis in 2013 from Sony directly

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran
    Pachter has now said the PS4 will launch in Oct-Nov 2013. His statements will probably be posted soon in its entirety. If this were 2005, it would be where thousands of websites start circulating this through the interwebz, bellowing "SONY PROMISES PS4 LAUNCH FOR HOLIDAY 2013!!!". It's possible Sony makes some kind of announcement some time next year, least likely CES 2013, less likely E3 2013, small possibility Gamescom 2013, some possibility Tokyo Game Show 2013. They might be able to rush some hardware out by the end of next year but all indicators are Sony isn't going to rush and will allow some key technologies to develop further before stamping the configuration in stone. Of course, if the PS4 doesn't show up next holiday season, then the interwebz will quickly turn to the whiny weeping of holiday 2005, "THE SONY LIES!!!!".
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    That article reads like a Sony fanboy rant but I wont bother getting into all the flaws in it. The one thing I will point out is the article saying PS4 will be cheaper than the PS3 (I assume they mean PS3 at launch). Jack Tretton has already said that Sony has never launched first and never been cheapest. So to me that sounds like Sony hasnt learned their lesson. On the flip side I have a feeling that MS new hardware could end up with high failure rates again. After hearing about poor chip yields and so forth causing a launch delay coupled with what happened at the beginning of this generation I'm a bit concerned. Anyway, thats my take on it.

I think it will be released Holiday of 2013 but even at the late date of 2014 we will get our hands on it would be very cool. I want to play it and hope they will have more good games on it that will entice people to play. I am a big fan of Halo 4 so would like to see games like that on the PS4.

Thread Information