Hybrid View

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style

Walmart Black Friday Walk out

Ok we are a little less than 5 hours away on est where Walmart employees have threaten to walk out. Is this a Gorilla beating his chest with power to back it up, or this a chihuahua barking but not doing anything. Post vidoes, pictures, shares story, or laugh at how nothing happened and the people just voluntary quit.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics
    I honestly don't think something big is going to happen. I do see some people walk off and quit, but with this economy, I doubt people is going to give up on their jobs that easily.

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    You would think, but never underestimate a persons power of delusion that they can do something and suffer no consequence. Walmart has already fired a few people who walked out and they will do it to anyone else. Why? Because they can and they can easily replace those people. I read some workers where making $13 an hour and not satisfied with that.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Wouldn't blame them. BF shoppers are $#@!ing animals.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Our officers will be pulling duty at 6pm est at Walmart. They will be there all night, and switch rotation at 6am tomorrow for another 12 hr Walmart shift.

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Why are they walking out?

Miqo'te Bard
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Why are they walking out?
    Walmart was part of three companies(papa john and Dennys other two) that have cut employees hours to no more than 30 so they do not have to pay them benefits under Obamacare. Add to that the years of treating employees like dirt and some workers are upset and feel they are not paid enough. Still $13 an hour is not bad, sure your not rich, but you can live with in a means on that as full time. One person that walked was a cake decorator making $20 an hour. $20 an hour and not enough for decorating a cake lol. Unless your a world famous cake decorator that is more than enough.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Walmart was part of three companies(papa john and Dennys other two) that have cut employees hours to no more than 30 so they do not have to pay them benefits under Obamacare. Add to that the years of treating employees like dirt and some workers are upset and feel they are not paid enough. Still $13 an hour is not bad, sure your not rich, but you can live with in a means on that as full time. One person that walked was a cake decorator making $20 an hour. $20 an hour and not enough for decorating a cake lol. Unless your a world famous cake decorator that is more than enough.
    No it's because they have ridiculous hours.

6pm-3am today and noon to 5:30pm on friday. As for holiday pay, they get paid more, but have their hours cut so they don't really make any more money than normal days.

Miqo'te Bard
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    No it's because they have ridiculous hours.

6pm-3am today and noon to 5:30pm on friday. As for holiday pay, they get paid more, but have their hours cut so they don't really make any more money than normal days.
    No it is not.

Workers say they are joining the protest to ask the country's largest employer to end what they call retaliation against speaking out for better pay, fair schedules and affordable health care.
    http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...assive-protest

A growing number of employees, protesting low wages and benefit cuts, is vowing to walk out on Black Friday.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/2...bors-struggle/

• Listen to us, the Associates
    • Have respect for the individual
    • Recognize freedom of association and freedom of speech
    • Fix the Open Door policy
    • Pay a minimum of $13/hour and make full-time jobs available for Associates who want them
    • Create dependable, predictable work schedules
    • Provide affordable healthcare
    • Provide every Associate with a policy manual, ensure equal enforcement of policy and no discrimination, and give every Associate equal opportunity to succeed and advance in his or her career
    • Provide wages and benefits that ensure that no Associate has to rely on government assistance.
    http://forrespect.org/our-walmart/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Did the union OK this or is it just peoepl walkign out on their own accord?
    The last webpage is "The Union" There is no official Union, with an Official representative. Just people standing up and someone calming themselves the leader at each protest.
    Last edited by Yuuichi; 11-22-2012 at 23:55.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    No it is not.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...assive-protest

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/2...bors-struggle/

http://forrespect.org/our-walmart/about-us/

The last webpage is "The Union" There is no official Union, with an Official representative. Just people standing up and someone calming themselves the leader at each protest.
    http://www.mycenturylink.com/tv/3/pl.../gnrc_18035329

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I'm surprised they haven't introduced some sort of legislation banning things like Black Friday from happening..there isn't a single year that goes by without me hearing about people getting seriously injured in mobs.

If anything it should apply to their online shops only.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't introduced some sort of legislation banning things like Black Friday from happening..there isn't a single year that goes by without me hearing about people getting seriously injured in mobs.

If anything it should apply to their online shops only.
    There isn't anything year round that doesn't have negativity like that. It's city by city... We've never had a single problem that others have.

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Did the union OK this or is it just peoepl walkign out on their own accord?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Meh, I doubt any of them walk out.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    It won't make much difference in Wal-Mart because not enough people can do it...your average Wal-Mart employee isn't someone who can afford to sit at home for 3-4 weeks while management piddles around and realizes they need to treat employees better...

Wal-Mart in my area is FAR from paying employees $13 an hour in any department...they are at minimum wage for experienced starting employees no matter how much retail you have. I passed management tests when I worked there as a temp ...and I installed the registers for them (something a computer tech would make $50 an hour doing)...plus set-up the registers (data connection and such)..

I was considered a temp employee, but was given management as a temp with no more pay -- the walmart way. They gave me a group of people to be micromanaged, and gave me the impression that I was up for a full-time job with corporate going from store to store doing remodels...(and I mean the radio with the cute little earpiece and all...)

When I finished installing their 45 registers throughout the entire store and was finished micromanaging people who were put with me to do things I needed done...what do you think walmart did?? Did they honor their side of the so-called bargain? NO. They talked about how well I managed a group of people and how fast I got the work done (it took me 4 night shifts to swap out 28 registers in the front, and another 2 nights to install registers in photo/in-store pickup, jewelry, sporting goods, etc)
    This wasn't a matter of just putting some new computer parts in, I had people moving the belts out, bringing new belts in, putting the cashwrap and belt on the floor according to the blueprints of the remodel (which I read the blueprint and measured off each register just like anyone with some sort of blueprint reading experience would do)....so while it sounds simple, it wasn't, at all)

The night I came in after I finished doing all the registers, the corp people met me at the timeclock and said "we need the radio back please"....
    Ok, no problem.
    I clocked in, had the safety meeting, and was told that tonight, my job was to sit outside in the back and watch the door to make sure nobody "stole anything" <<---do WHAT?

Ok..I'll do that.
    They left me back there with 8 hours without giving me a break...or even offering to come check on me. No radio to call anyone so I could go piss (so I pissed beside the store)...and finally when they realized I wasn't going to go all "$#@!mode" on them and quit, they called me into an office and said that "your temporary assignment is over and we appreciate your work."

OMG, I was pissed and ready to go postal.
    I said thanks and went home though.
    At the time, I had been unemployed for 2 years because of my job shutting down (economy)...and couldn't find SH*T. I was going weekly and putting in apps at gas stations..etc...and finally happened on this walmart job.
    A father, husband...with 3 kids at home..no income..finally got a job..and I was trying my best to make the job work for me. Did what I was told..the first 3 weeks was them testing employees to see who stuck out...and I busted my ass because I wasn't there to make friends...I needed the money for my family. Every morning when it was time to go home, they asked who would stay and help finish..I was one of a very few who would..because every minute I was on the clock, I was getting paid. I really tried hard as I could to keep the job..did that stop them from firing the hell out of me? NO.
    I'd love to see them get a 50-state strike...and have to close stores because they cant get anyone to work for them...but it won't happen. People who have jobs want to keep them...people who don't have jobs will gladly step-in and take jobs from people who want to walk out.
    I despise Wal-mart now...and they know it. After I got fired, I waited about a week, then I had a meeting with the store manager. I blasted him, the company, and insured that I would never work at that store again (I did that on purpose)...
    I told him exactly what I thought of Walmart and the people lying to me like they did..and I gave him my opinion of the great Chinese reseller+retailer. I asked him if Chinese people built his house...or was he a huge hypocrite for living in a free nation like America and promoting a giant chain of Chinese stores that do nothing for the American economy. He couldn't, wouldn't and didn't respond. I mean, what the hell could he say?? 95% of the crap on Walmart shelves says "Made in China"...
    There's plenty of stories just like mine, and some far worse...about how bad they treat people. It isn't going to suddenly stop either...
    People keep shopping there..and walmart keeps moving into small towns, closing down the little man, and moving out so people have to drive an hour to get their necessities...simply because they can. Come in with blazing low prices, ruin all other business..close em down...once they board-up the doors and are gone..close the store and make people come to an existing site further away..economics 101. Walmart has the best lawyers in the USA telling them exactly what they can/can't say to employees..and they purposely walk the thin line because they want people to quit. They don't want 20-year veterans of the company...gotta give them more, and let em retire. They want people on the verge of quitting as their normal workforce because they have so many people who want to work...it's an evil, evil company

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I know exchange rate and shiz, but full timers in similar jobs here get $19+ au per hour.
    Working 30+ hours a week casual in a supermarket Deli I get paid $24 an hour.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    It won't make much difference in Wal-Mart because not enough people can do it...your average Wal-Mart employee isn't someone who can afford to sit at home for 3-4 weeks while management piddles around and realizes they need to treat employees better...

Wal-Mart in my area is FAR from paying employees $13 an hour in any department...they are at minimum wage for experienced starting employees no matter how much retail you have. I passed management tests when I worked there as a temp ...and I installed the registers for them (something a computer tech would make $50 an hour doing)...plus set-up the registers (data connection and such)..

I was considered a temp employee, but was given management as a temp with no more pay -- the walmart way. They gave me a group of people to be micromanaged, and gave me the impression that I was up for a full-time job with corporate going from store to store doing remodels...(and I mean the radio with the cute little earpiece and all...)

When I finished installing their 45 registers throughout the entire store and was finished micromanaging people who were put with me to do things I needed done...what do you think walmart did?? Did they honor their side of the so-called bargain? NO. They talked about how well I managed a group of people and how fast I got the work done (it took me 4 night shifts to swap out 28 registers in the front, and another 2 nights to install registers in photo/in-store pickup, jewelry, sporting goods, etc)
    This wasn't a matter of just putting some new computer parts in, I had people moving the belts out, bringing new belts in, putting the cashwrap and belt on the floor according to the blueprints of the remodel (which I read the blueprint and measured off each register just like anyone with some sort of blueprint reading experience would do)....so while it sounds simple, it wasn't, at all)

The night I came in after I finished doing all the registers, the corp people met me at the timeclock and said "we need the radio back please"....
    Ok, no problem.
    I clocked in, had the safety meeting, and was told that tonight, my job was to sit outside in the back and watch the door to make sure nobody "stole anything" <<---do WHAT?

Ok..I'll do that.
    They left me back there with 8 hours without giving me a break...or even offering to come check on me. No radio to call anyone so I could go piss (so I pissed beside the store)...and finally when they realized I wasn't going to go all "$#@!mode" on them and quit, they called me into an office and said that "your temporary assignment is over and we appreciate your work."

At the time, I had been unemployed for 2 years because of my job shutting down (economy)...and couldn't find SH*T. I was going weekly and putting in apps at gas stations..etc...and finally happened on this walmart job.
    A father, husband...with 3 kids at home..no income..finally got a job..and I was trying my best to make the job work for me. Did what I was told..the first 3 weeks was them testing employees to see who stuck out...and I busted my ass because I wasn't there to make friends...I needed the money for my family. Every morning when it was time to go home, they asked who would stay and help finish..I was one of a very few who would..because every minute I was on the clock, I was getting paid. I really tried hard as I could to keep the job..did that stop them from firing the hell out of me? NO.
    I'd love to see them get a 50-state strike...and have to close stores because they cant get anyone to work for them...but it won't happen. People who have jobs want to keep them...people who don't have jobs will gladly step-in and take jobs from people who want to walk out.
    I despise Wal-mart now...and they know it. After I got fired, I waited about a week, then I had a meeting with the store manager. I blasted him, the company, and insured that I would never work at that store again (I did that on purpose)...
    I told him exactly what I thought of Walmart and the people lying to me like they did..and I gave him my opinion of the great Chinese reseller+retailer. I asked him if Chinese people built his house...or was he a huge hypocrite for living in a free nation like America and promoting a giant chain of Chinese stores that do nothing for the American economy. He couldn't, wouldn't and didn't respond. I mean, what the hell could he say?? 95% of the crap on Walmart shelves says "Made in China"...
    There's plenty of stories just like mine, and some far worse...about how bad they treat people. It isn't going to suddenly stop either...
    People keep shopping there..and walmart keeps moving into small towns, closing down the little man, and moving out so people have to drive an hour to get their necessities...simply because they can. Come in with blazing low prices, ruin all other business..close em down...once they board-up the doors and are gone..close the store and make people come to an existing site further away..economics 101. Walmart has the best lawyers in the USA telling them exactly what they can/can't say to employees..and they purposely walk the thin line because they want people to quit. They don't want 20-year veterans of the company...gotta give them more, and let em retire. They want people on the verge of quitting as their normal workforce because they have so many people who want to work...it's an evil, evil company
    That was a great post. +rep when I'm able to come back to it. Dayum. Great post!
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I know exchange rate and shiz, but full timers in similar jobs here get $19+ au per hour.
    Working 30+ hours a week casual in a supermarket Deli I get paid $24 an hour.
    $24au per hour is $25 in the US. There's a lot more difference in the hourly rates.. the exchange rate doesn't equate to what the differences are made of. In a supermarket like you described, a normal worker here will make $7.25 per hour.

Miqo'te Bard
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post

Ok, no problem.

Ok..I'll do that.

Really a great post. Your right not much will change because people will keep shopping there because they think they getting good deals when they really are not. I always compare walmart to nike. Everyone knows how nikes are made yet they still the number one selling shoe. In the end the majority of people blow hot air yet never do anything. I haven't shoped a walmart in ten years. Has not made one diff.

Miqo'te Bard
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-black-friday/

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...orkers-protest

http://laist.com/2012/11/23/local_wa...ge_walkout.php

Just a few links to three stories I have found so far. Looks like people are backing up the talk, but how many has yet to be reported.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Meh... nothing doing. If someone doesn't like how their work environment is, go find another job.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Meh... nothing doing. If someone doesn't like how their work environment is, go find another job.
    They don't have the luxury of choosing jobs most likely. They better stay with what they have.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    They don't have the luxury of choosing jobs most likely. They better stay with what they have.
    There's a huge difference between choosing jobs and finding a job.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Didn't want to make a thread. Any report on Cyber Monday deals?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    yeah, there will be plenty lol. Amazon will probably be a good place to start.

Miqo'te Bard
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    yeah, there will be plenty lol. Amazon will probably be a good place to start.
    Yeah they been having killer game sales all weekend. Bluray movies not so much.

Thread Information