Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,962
    Rep Power
    194
    Points
    107,327 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    IGN Article hinting at two simultaneous XBoxes for 2013


  2. #2
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,118
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,795 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That's interesting, but not interesting. I just want my super powerful new Xbox with super awesome games.




  3. #3
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    I would easily buy both. However, I wish they would find a way to have them built inside of some TV's as an option. I am trying to eliminate set tops whenever possible. I like a clean setup.

  4. #4
    Master Poster
    TheBreezyBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Qatar
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,475
    Rep Power
    85
    Points
    18,170 (0 Banked)
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I think that would just confuse costumers! If that was indeed true.




  5. #5
    Master Guru
    THUGGEDOUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Jamming to Lamb of God with Pinhead...
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Posts
    7,121
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    145,281 (905,285 Banked)
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    A new report suggests that Microsoft's next generation Xbox will come in two very different models.
    The first is the console we're all expecting, providing true next-generation gaming experiences, while the other will be a more affordable unit aimed at the casual market. The latter is said to use Windows 8 as the basis of its operating system, and won't be able to run the latest triple-A titles, but will support downloadable casual games from Xbox Live.
    So it will function more like a set-top box, or an Apple TV, allowing a greater number of consumers to experience the console's growing range of entertainment apps. Apparently, the next-gen Xbox will be an 'always on' device that starts up almost instantly, letting you resume your game with little downtime.
    This latest report comes from The Verge, which cites "multiple sources familiar with Redmond's plans". (Redmond, if you were wondering, is the location of Microsoft's head quarters.) It also claims that this twin SKU approach is part of a larger Microsoft strategy to ensure that its core Xbox software is 'scalable' to run on a variety of devices. There's even talk of making it so that a phone could be capable of delivering a full Xbox Live experience. It has also looked into including licensing core Xbox functionality into television sets.
    It's believed that both devices will be announced sometime in 2013 and made available before the end of the year.
    With the assist!


    Tap-a-hoe


    "When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."




  6. #6
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    22
    Posts
    17,322
    Rep Power
    108
    Points
    48,880 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    I think that would just confuse costumers! If that was indeed true.
    yeah, not to mention split your consumer base significantly. Though if the crap version isn't branded as an 'xbox' but instead more of a set top box thing thats fair enough.

    Still... I'll take my non-gimped next gen console

  7. #7
    YouTube Editor
    Justin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    30
    Posts
    14,931
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    8,897 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I have been reading this all week. The multiple SKU's is something to get used to after this generation, so I don't find it surprising. At the same time catering to the casual market is a great idea, but the fact it won't play Xbox games is a huge concern. Is there really a strong enough market for a model that doesn't play the games, but only arcade titles?

    8 years and counting!

  8. #8
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,962
    Rep Power
    194
    Points
    107,327 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    My only concern is with the ramifications on developer support. If this is a bid to split off the "Kinect Crowd" from their gaming core, what will the end result be? This generation, we've seen a nice mass exodus from the Wii and both the PS3 and the 360's base has grown healthily as a result. If the casual gamers abandon Nintendo, for instance, and run to this casual XBox, what will it mean for developer support of the core-gamer oriented machine? I thought Sony and MS went the right route this gen in trying to create a "One Box to Rule Them All" approach. It allows casual gamers to bleed over to core-games and vice versa while giving a nice boost to overall unit sales for the hardware. I think doing this may make the core and casual gamers silo in, especially when the offerings are from the same pool of developers.

  9. #9
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,118
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,795 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I would easily buy both. However, I wish they would find a way to have them built inside of some TV's as an option. I am trying to eliminate set tops whenever possible. I like a clean setup.
    Screw that! The least amount of things built into the TV that isn't needed for the actual TV functions, is the best. If I paid money for a TV, and then my console component is lost, I have to get an entire TV replaced to get another console? Or, I'll lose the entire TV to ship it off to get a refurb'd console stuck in there? Heck no. No thank you. It would KILL the prices of TV, and the console stuck in there.




  10. #10
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Screw that! The least amount of things built into the TV that isn't needed for the actual TV functions, is the best. If I paid money for a TV, and then my console component is lost, I have to get an entire TV replaced to get another console? Or, I'll lose the entire TV to ship it off to get a refurb'd console stuck in there? Heck no. No thank you. It would KILL the prices of TV, and the console stuck in there.
    I said as an option. You could still buy your tv you want without it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  11. #11
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,118
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,795 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I said as an option. You could still buy your tv you want without it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The problem will exist for those who chose the option. The costs will be passed on beyond just those products.




  12. #12
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,991
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,745 (0 Banked)
    You guys need to calm the hell down.

    Remember when MS put out the statistics about non gaming usage of the 360? This "secondary" device is likely to be designed to do just that. It will likely be a way for people to access xbl media content, applications and xbla games on the cheap (along with streaming/media center capabilities) compared to buying a full console to do those simple things.

    As for confusion it should be pretty obvious when one retails for ~$400 and the other retails for ~$99 that they clearly do different things.

    This is not a different "gaming" sku, there will only be 1 main gaming xbox at a time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I would easily buy both. However, I wish they would find a way to have them built inside of some TV's as an option. I am trying to eliminate set tops whenever possible. I like a clean setup.
    Wireless hdmi.

  13. #13
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,118
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,795 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    You guys need to calm the hell down.

    Remember when MS put out the statistics about non gaming usage of the 360? This "secondary" device is likely to be designed to do just that. It will likely be a way for people to access xbl media content, applications and xbla games on the cheap (along with streaming/media center capabilities) compared to buying a full console to do those simple things.

    As for confusion it should be pretty obvious when one retails for ~$400 and the other retails for ~$99 that they clearly do different things.

    This is not a different "gaming" sku, there will only be 1 main gaming xbox at a time.



    Wireless hdmi.
    I can do everything that doesn't involve gaming, without a 360, or a Gold fee.




  14. #14
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,991
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,745 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I can do everything that doesn't involve gaming, without a 360, or a Gold fee.
    Does that other way include access to the xbl media marketplace/services?

  15. #15
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,118
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,795 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Does that other way include access to the xbl media marketplace/services?
    Give me an example please... media? marketplace/services? Point me in the right direction please.




  16. #16
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,991
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,745 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Give me an example please... media? marketplace/services? Point me in the right direction please.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/entertainment

    Xbox video and xbox music primarily. And the media center extender function that the 360 provides.

  17. #17
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,118
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,795 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Any videos that are available on Xbox Live, are available on something else.... have no need for media center extender. So yeah. Anything not related to actual gaming can be done on w/o Xbox/Xbox Live.




  18. #18
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,991
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,745 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Any videos that are available on Xbox Live, are available on something else.... have no need for media center extender. So yeah. Anything not related to actual gaming can be done on w/o Xbox/Xbox Live.
    My point is a lot of people want access to those features without having to buy a full gaming console (which won't be used for games) to access those features.

    And just because some content is available elsewhere doesn't make it as easily accessible/seamless as the experience on the xbox marketplace.

    Not to mention, the 360 marketplace also allows access to other vendors marketplaces.

  19. #19
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,118
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,795 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    My point is a lot of people want access to those features without having to buy a full gaming console (which won't be used for games) to access those features.

    And just because some content is available elsewhere doesn't make it as easily accessible/seamless as the experience on the xbox marketplace.

    Not to mention, the 360 marketplace also allows access to other vendors marketplaces.
    Look at the media that people use it for the most though. You don't need Xbox Live to use those features. Sorry, it's just true.




  20. #20
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,991
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,745 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Look at the media that people use it for the most though. You don't need Xbox Live to use those features. Sorry, it's just true.
    The point is flying over your head.

    There is a demand for that content, specifically from/through the xbox marketplace. Which is why MS is considering making a secondary xbox device for that content.

    If that was not the case then MS wouldn't bother with a secondary device.

  21. #21
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,118
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,795 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    The point is flying over your head.

    There is a demand for that content, specifically from/through the xbox marketplace. Which is why MS is considering making a secondary xbox device for that content.

    If that was not the case then MS wouldn't bother with a secondary device.
    The point is flying over YOUR head lol. The demand was from Microsoft, and now it's used by people who own the 360. How many people do you think BUY a 360 to use services that don't require the 360 to use them?

    "Oh I want netflix!! NEED A 360!!!" lol

    How many people upgrade their free Xbox Live access, so they can pay for features they can already have for free?




  22. #22
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,991
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,745 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The point is flying over YOUR head lol. The demand was from Microsoft, and now it's used by people who own the 360. How many people do you think BUY a 360 to use services that don't require the 360 to use them?

    "Oh I want netflix!! NEED A 360!!!" lol

    How many people upgrade their free Xbox Live access, so they can pay for features they can already have for free?
    I'll try this one last time.

    There are people currently buying 360's to use primarily for the non gaming purposes I listed previously.

    They could buy another product to access some of those services, but they buy a 360 instead.

    So MS sees fit to sell a product that can do those things, but costs significantly less than a console.

    Nowhere did I say that if people want to use a service, like netflix for example that they must buy a 360 to do so. There are several other ways to do so. But people do buy 360's and use them for non gaming purposes like watching netflix.

    http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/27/29...r-gaming-stats

    last year:

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft...rtainment.aspx

  23. #23
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,118
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    147,795 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I'll try this one last time.

    There are people currently buying 360's to use primarily for the non gaming purposes I listed previously.

    They could buy another product to access some of those services, but they buy a 360 instead.

    So MS sees fit to sell a product that can do those things, but costs significantly less than a console.

    Nowhere did I say that if people want to use a service, like netflix for example that they must buy a 360 to do so. There are several other ways to do so. But people do buy 360's and use them for non gaming purposes like watching netflix.

    http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/27/29...r-gaming-stats

    last year:

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft...rtainment.aspx
    There's no evidence that people are buying it primarily for the non gaming purposes. People use the services with their 360's because they are paying for it. Those articles support what claim? That users are using entertainment services more than gaming... that's about it.

    Let's see a survey that shows that more people are buying a 360 to use primarily for non-gaming activities lol.




  24. #24
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,991
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    43,745 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    There's no evidence that people are buying it primarily for the non gaming purposes. People use the services with their 360's because they are paying for it. Those articles support what claim? That users are using entertainment services more than gaming... that's about it.

    Let's see a survey that shows that more people are buying a 360 to use primarily for non-gaming activities lol.
    If there was no evidence for it, then MS wouldn't have a reason to make a standalone xbox device for those purposes. I doubt they are going to release that data though and there isn't much point in somebody else doing a survey about it.

    If you can't see the trend based on those articles, I don't know what to tell you.

  25. #25
    Superior Member
    EvilJ0k3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Evansville
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    Age
    20
    Posts
    553
    Rep Power
    20
    Points
    2,681 (0 Banked)
    Sounds pretty corny if I can say so! I'm not gonna buy that cheap crap thing they're releasing!

    Special thanks to zzKurozz for the Signature and Avatar!
    Prodigy - A young one, endowed with exceptional abilities.
    Currently Playing: MoH: Warfighter / Assassin's Creed 3 / GW2
    Waiting For: CoD: Black Ops 2 / Borderlands 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.