View Poll Results: Which images should we use for the review section? Spyrde's or Blacksite's?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spyrde

14 58.33%
  • Blacksite

10 41.67%
Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

PSU Community Review Index [congratz spyrde!]

SO this is the plan so far: there will be a new section of the forums opened SPECIFICALLY for reviews. There will be two stickied threads in that section. This one, the review index and contributor ranks page which will be locked and updated by yours truly, and another one for ALL discussion regarding the user reviews. All other threads will be the reviews that are written. This is all subject to discussion and change. So, have a look at the page so far and leave your feedback.

VERSION 1: spyrde

Because you can never have too many opinions when trying to decide on your next game purchase, we here at PSU are banding together to give our gaming brothers and sisters a source of honest opinions on games of yesterday and today.

Welcome! Allow me to give you a quick tour. You are now at the Community Reviews contents page. Here you will find links to all of the submitted reviews. Also on this page is the ranking system for reviewers.

You can find all related discussion and banter at the PSU Community Reviews Feedback, Questions & Discussion thread.

Feel free to ask the reviewer questions in their review thread.

Reviewer Ranks. Those who take the time and effort to submit to our archive will get their review linked here to live on forever before our eyes even when the thread its self has sunk deep into the obscurity of the old and redundant thread cemetery. Not only that, but by such action they will embark on a journey of completely meaningless PSU e-peen $#@!ery as they sink down the Community Review Rank System to the depths of badassness...How deep will you go?

single cell organism...ha ha! (1 review)
    plankton (3 reviews)
    lil fishy (5 reviews)
    pirahna (10 reviews)

Super Stingray(15 reviews)
    Cold Killer Whale (20 reviews)
    Great White Shark (25 reviews)
    Giant Enemy Crab (30 reviews)

KRAKEN KING (40 reviews)

LEGENDARY LEVIATHAN (50 reviews)
    MEGALADON GHOST (70 reviews)
    D0LPH1N OF T3H UND3RW4T3R C4V3 (100 reviews)
    Ghost-Rhayne (0 reviews, rank disgracefully & shamelessly stolen)

Review Formula & Presentation. For the sake of consistency, we have come up with a basic formula for the reviews. Check the SPOILER tags for formula. Also, here are a few points to keep in mind:

Reviews don't consist of a sentence or two for each category! Submissions should be well thought out and concise. I won't allow short/lame reviews for the sake of spamming the way to new ranks OK!?

You should have finished the game before you review it.

I will be wearing my PSU editor hat now and then as well, just to make sure everything is neat, tidy and consistent.

Community Reviews. While PSU is a PlayStation centric news site, we embrace all platforms. For this reason, the PSU User Review Section is open for reviews of any kind.

PlayStation 3

Assassins Creed 3 - Ghost-Rhayne
    PlayStation Vita

PlayStation Portable
    PlayStation Mobile

Xbox 360

Wii U
    Wii
    3DS
    DS

PC
    Mobile
    Browser

VERSION 2: Blacksite

Because you can never have too many opinions when trying to decide on your next game purchase, we here at PSU are banding together to give our gaming brothers and sisters a source of honest opinions on games of yesterday and today.

Welcome!Allow me to give you a quick tour. You are now at the Community Reviews contents page. Here you will find links to all of the submitted reviews. Also on this page is the ranking system for reviewers.

You can find all related discussion and banter at the PSU Community Reviews Feedback, Questions & Discussion thread.

Feel free to ask the reviewer questions in their review thread.

Reviewer Ranks. Those who take the time and effort to submit to our archive will get their review linked here to live on forever before our eyes even when the thread its self has sunk deep into the obscurity of the old and redundant thread cemetery. Not only that, but by such action they will embark on a journey of completely meaningless PSU e-peen $#@!ery as they sink down the Community Review Rank System to the depths of badassness...How deep will you go?

single cell organism...ha ha! (1 review)
    plankton (3 reviews)
    lil fishy (5 reviews)
    pirahna (10 reviews)

Super Stingray(15 reviews)
    Cold Killer Whale (20 reviews)
    Great White Shark (25 reviews)
    Giant Enemy Crab (30 reviews)

KRAKEN KING (40 reviews)

LEGENDARY LEVIATHAN (50 reviews)
    MEGALADON GHOST (70 reviews)
    D0LPH1N OF T3H UND3RW4T3R C4V3 (100 reviews)
    Ghost-Rhayne (0 reviews, rank disgracefully & shamelessly stolen)

Review Formula & Presentation. For the sake of consistency, we have come up with a basic formula for the reviews. Check the SPOILER tags for formula. Also, here are a few points to keep in mind:

Reviews don't consist of a sentence or two for each category! Submissions should be well thought out and concise. I won't allow short/lame reviews for the sake of spamming the way to new ranks OK!?

You should have finished the game before you review it.

I will be wearing my PSU editor hat now and then as well, just to make sure everything is neat, tidy and consistent.

Community Reviews. While PSU is a PlayStation centric news site, we embrace all platforms. For this reason, the PSU User Review Section is open for reviews of any kind.

PlayStation 3
    Assassins Creed 3 - Ghost-Rhayne
    PlayStation Vita

PlayStation Portable
    PlayStation Mobile

Xbox 360

Wii U
    Wii
    3DS
    DS

PC
    Mobile
    Browser
    Last edited by Ghost; 11-29-2012 at 18:55.

2. Likes Nitey , CloudStrife37 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Sounds great chief! Looking forward to being a single cell organism LOL...

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Wow, this looks really cool. I like the whole set-up and consistency for reviews. I definitely would be interested in writing up an PSASBR review and join the grand rank of single cell organism.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    This actually turned out really well. Its inspired me to come up with some

6. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    We've really needed something like this for quite awhile. I know this isn't the correct page to post questions, but seeing as the question thread does not exist, I have a few questions to start:

Will reviews written prior to this point be counted?
    Users like Lethal_NFS have contributed a number of reviews to the site over the years. Will those reviews count towards his rank, or are we all starting tabula rasa?

Will there be an incentive structure?
    The ranks are a nice touch, and will undoubtedly drive some people to write many high-quality reviews. However, it would be beneficial if some sort of incentive structure was created, as it would surely draw more people in. Even the smallest incentives would increase participation.

Can more than one review on the same game be submitted? A handful of games (i.e. Call of Duty: Black Ops II) will naturally get plenty of reviews from our users. How will we organize this? Will all the reviews be in the main forum, or will there be some way of selecting the 'best' review and placing the others elsewhere?

When will the User Review Index go into full-gear?
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Will reviews written prior to this point be counted?
    Users like Lethal_NFS have contributed a number of reviews to the site over the years. Will those reviews count towards his rank, or are we all starting tabula rasa?

People who have taken the time in the past to write reviews should have those counted. They can be modified with the +/- points and final score. If possible, it would be ideal if they could be tweaked a bit to fit the new formula, but this is entirely up to the discretion of the author.

Will there be an incentive structure?
    The ranks are a nice touch, and will undoubtedly drive some people to write many high-quality reviews. However, it would be beneficial if some sort of incentive structure was created, as it would surely draw more people in. Even the smallest incentives would increase participation.

The issue of incentives is tricky...On the cheap ass side, I pondered special sigs that could be 'unlocked' as people rank (if they rank up lol). The idea of custom icons also came to mind. This is something that could be done for SOTW, or SOTM perhaps as well. I'll bring it up with the editors, see what more tangible rewards are possibly floating about.

Can more than one review on the same game be submitted? A handful of games (i.e. Call of Duty: Black Ops II) will naturally get plenty of reviews from our users. How will we organize this? Will all the reviews be in the main forum, or will there be some way of selecting the 'best' review and placing the others elsewhere?

All the reviews will be organised by platform, then alphabetically. Having 10 Blops 2 reviews is absolutely no problem. The page is effectively just a table of contents of the subforum.

When will the User Review Index go into full-gear?

I just have to ask one of the admins to create a new subforum. Then I'll create the stickies and have it opened to the forum. I am just waiting to see what other DS submissions come in...but these can be changed later. I want to have it live by the end of the weekend.

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Curious as well, obviously we are going with a scoring system and you have given details of 1-10. So does that mean solid number only, none of this 6.8 or 9.75 crap?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Curious as well, obviously we are going with a scoring system and you have given details of 1-10. So does that mean solid number only, none of this 6.8 or 9.75 crap?
    I think .5 is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I think .5 is ok.
    mmk seems reasonable

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    This is great, i plan on reviewing some games now if i have the time to do in the near future. But, this will give me a little push. +rep

13. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    This is great, i plan on reviewing some games now if i have the time to do in the near future. But, this will give me a little push. +rep
    Yeah it is a really good push. I'm going to study games development and programming next year so this will help me mentally figure out what is good an bad about games if I'm writing it down.

That and it will improve my writing skills, which used to be great during school with essay writing etc but that has gone downhill

Via Tapatalk

15. Likes CloudStrife37 likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Sounds nice!

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

So each review obviously goes in its own thread, I assume the writers create those themselves, but after contacting you and getting it listed? Or would we contact you after the thread is made so you can link it to the big thread

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    So each review obviously goes in its own thread, I assume the writers create those themselves, but after contacting you and getting it listed? Or would we contact you after the thread is made so you can link it to the big thread
    Ja each review to its own thread. I will keep an eye on the forum and update the list as new reviews are added. Well, if people want to send me a PM with a link when they post it, that'd be nice.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    The issue of incentives is tricky...On the cheap ass side, I pondered special sigs that could be 'unlocked' as people rank (if they rank up lol). The idea of custom icons also came to mind. This is something that could be done for SOTW, or SOTM perhaps as well. I'll bring it up with the editors, see what more tangible rewards are possibly floating about.
    We could create usergroups for each of the ranks, and each usergroup would have access to certain items in the shop, such as icons, signatures, avatars, or something else.

And of course, we could hand out SP for each submitted review. Perhaps 500 or 1,000 SP.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    We could create usergroups for each of the ranks, and each usergroup would have access to certain items in the shop, such as icons, signatures, avatars, or something else.

And of course, we could hand out SP for each submitted review. Perhaps 500 or 1,000 SP.
    That would be a great idea.

An icon for each rank would be sweet, so we can visibly see around the forum who is a contributor

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Yes! Love it! Is it possible to tweak the user title of the usergroups to reflect their rank title and color?

An icon for each rank would be sweet, so we can visibly see around the forum who is a contributor
    This was part of the plan,kind of what I meant by...

Also, we may just have some kind of title bar for you to sport in your sig later...
    I thought either special icons, or a super thin sig banner the DS one or BnW...Something that people can proudly sport.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Added Blacksite's version to OP. Go have a look!

They both look great.. I can't choose which ones I like better. :/

Also would it be a horrible thing if I did a review for a PS2 or original Xbox game? There would be like 1 under that category I have plenty to review, so its no issue ><
    Last edited by Ghost; 11-25-2012 at 08:09. Reason: still not used to the damn edit button's location lol

Ultimate Veteran
    Thanks for adding it.

By the way, it's PC, not P.C. Just so you know...
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    They both look great.. I can't choose which ones I like better. :/

Also would it be a horrible thing if I did a review for a PS2 or original Xbox game? There would be like 1 under that category I have plenty to review, so its no issue ><
    lol Maybe we need a retro banner? I have nothing against retro game reviews, just need to handle it in a way that appeases my O.C.D demon...it whsipers in my ear, "if this $#@! doesn't look flawless, logical and awesome, I'm going to rape your brain ghostie"

Also, I am also torn. I love both sets for different reasons.

Ultimate Veteran
    In my opinion, you would just file them under their respective categories (PS1 & PS2 for Sony and Xbox for Microsoft).
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

28. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    In my opinion, you would just file them under their respective categories (PS1 & PS2 for Sony and Xbox for Microsoft).
    Yeah, this is what I meant.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    lol Yeah, that makes the most sense, I'm just addicted to these pretty images. I'll add em

Thread Information