Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I see people locally by me trying to sell these for more for example a basic set for 350 and a deluxe like mine for 500 some cases more. Good luck with that you can get on a waiting list at game stop and get one within a week or so i was on a list too 2 days after launch and i had it in my hands.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    When folks selling on eBay are taking losses 2 weeks after launch, you know the console is in trouble. Look at this guy for instance.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wii...p2047675.l2557

He paid the following (I'm going to assume he got some deals here)
    $350 console
    $90 games (buy 1 get 1 half off)
    $40 controller (assuming he found a sale somewhere).
    $70 eBay + paypal fees
    $35 sales tax in the state he lives (thanks for the info google)
    $30 shipping + insurance + signature confirmation
    = total overhead for this bundle is at $615.

So he's paying 615 and getting 537. Even if he got some extra deals, got a lower sales tax rate in a different state, or had some other way to reduce costs, there's simply no way he made a profit on this. Not only are the stores well stocked, I fully expect a flood of returns from people that thought they were going to flip them for profits.
    Don't assume someone doesn't make a profit based on your own math.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Don't assume someone doesn't make a profit based on your own math.
    Unless they stole this stuff, they lost money. Absolutely no way they can make a profit at that sell price.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Unless they stole this stuff, they lost money. Absolutely no way they can make a profit at that sell price.
    Just for the sake of putting Assumption Day to rest; would someone make a profit if those were gifts?

You assume he purchased everything.. someone else can assume he was given all that as a gift. Wanna keep going with this? Last thing... what does it matter if he stole it all. That means he made a profit. smh

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    if he stole the Wii U then he would be making 100% profit LOL

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    if he stole the Wii U then he would be making 100% profit LOL
    ...or it was a gift, used gift cards he was given, etc. Assumption Day is over.

Super Elite

...or it was a gift, used gift cards he was given, etc. Assumption Day is over.
    No way. well obviously possible but no way all those ebay auctions are gifts. the point was to highlight that people are losing money and as ebay prices go down, availability in stores goes up which means "sold out" is a myth and most likely this is a very soft launch.

Even if it was a gift, I wouldn't call it a "profit" when returning it nets you more money.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 12-01-2012 at 19:13.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    No way. well obviously possible but no way all those ebay auctions are gifts. the point was to highlight that people are losing money and as ebay prices go down, availability in stores goes up which means "sold out" is a myth and most likely this is a very soft launch. Even if it was, I wouldn't call it a profit when returning it nets you more money.
    When they get more in stock at retailers and online shops, the ebay necessity for it decreases. This completely goes against your assumption, "console in trouble". More people can buy them at retail prices, or lower ,with incentives, gifts, credits, etc., rather than having to buy the markup prices on ebay.

So why does ebay prices bring a conclusion about the console being in trouble?

Super Elite

When they get more in stock at retailers and online shops, the ebay necessity for it decreases. This completely goes against your assumption, "console in trouble". More people can buy them at retail prices, or lower ,with incentives, gifts, credits, etc., rather than having to buy the markup prices on ebay.

So why does ebay prices bring a conclusion about the console being in trouble?
    I feel like I'm being trolled here. It's simple supply and demand.

Supreme Veteran

these are good sales... But i feel that when the wall is hit and the sales are low

The blame game will kick in

But the Wii U will be a steady seller next year and it will slowly out sell the xbox 360 and PS3

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I feel like I'm being trolled here. It's simple supply and demand.
    You said the console was in trouble, and I'm debating the reasoning you said that. Anyways... let's just leave it at that. Wanna discuss trolling or whatever, just PM me, or just report it. Let's not derail the thread. Continue with the discussion and I'll be happy to reply.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    these are good sales... But i feel that when the wall is hit and the sales are low

The blame game will kick in

But the Wii U will be a steady seller next year and it will slowly out sell the xbox 360 and PS3
    I doubt it will sell well in the US at all next year. I think we're going to see some really bad sales once the holidays are over.

You said the console was in trouble, and I'm debating the reasoning you said that. Anyways... let's just leave it at that. Wanna discuss trolling or whatever, just PM me, or just report it. Let's not derail the thread. Continue with the discussion and I'll be happy to reply.
    Alright fine, I'll take you at your word that you didn't think that my post made sense. If you have experience with previous console launches then you should be aware what happens on eBay. You don't even have to understand console launches but just supply and demand in general.

I'll give you an example of the original Wii. With that console, they sold a lot during the first holiday season. It sold over 3 million worldwide the year it launched and it was sold out everywhere. Because of this, eBay prices went up sky high. If the Wii had only sold lets say, 600k during the year of 2006 then there would have been units sitting on shelves and eBay sellers would have lost money. Since the Wii U has units sitting in stores waiting to be sold during the launch window, that means that supply outstrips demand. This is unlike the last 3 consoles that launched.

I'm not really sure why you don't understand it. Yes it's great for the consumer that they can go into the store and pickup a console whenever they feel like it but for Nintendo that means that this console launch is softer than the Wii, the Xbox 360, and the PS3. To be clear, if any of those three consoles had units on the shelves during the launch window like the Wii U does, they would have immediately sold.

For reference, I had to buy a bundle online MONTHS later in order to get a Wii as it was still sold out in March or April of 2007.

I'm not really sure if I can explain this any better but these guys losing money is a symptom of Nintendo's soft launch and ultimately this console isn't going to sell well (we can certainly revisit this in January when the holiday numbers come out though I'm pretty confident in my predition). There will probably be an early price drop and many resellers will start to return their consoles to stores (so they don't lose money) which will bloat inventories and result in even more unsold consoles.

13. Likes F34R likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    I feel like I'm being trolled here
    Then stop being so typical

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I doubt it will sell well in the US at all next year. I think we're going to see some really bad sales once the holidays are over.

Alright fine, I'll take you at your word that you didn't think that my post made sense. If you have experience with previous console launches then you should be aware what happens on eBay. You don't even have to understand console launches but just supply and demand in general.

I'll give you an example of the original Wii. With that console, they sold a lot during the first holiday season. It sold over 3 million worldwide the year it launched and it was sold out everywhere. Because of this, eBay prices went up sky high. If the Wii had only sold lets say, 600k during the year of 2006 then there would have been units sitting on shelves and eBay sellers would have lost money. Since the Wii U has units sitting in stores waiting to be sold during the launch window, that means that supply outstrips demand. This is unlike the last 3 consoles that launched.

I'm not really sure why you don't understand it. Yes it's great for the consumer that they can go into the store and pickup a console whenever they feel like it but for Nintendo that means that this console launch is softer than the Wii, the Xbox 360, and the PS3. To be clear, if any of those three consoles had units on the shelves during the launch window like the Wii U does, they would have immediately sold.

For reference, I had to buy a bundle online MONTHS later in order to get a Wii as it was still sold out in March or April of 2007.

I'm not really sure if I can explain this any better but these guys losing money is a symptom of Nintendo's soft launch and ultimately this console isn't going to sell well (we can certainly revisit this in January when the holiday numbers come out though I'm pretty confident in my predition). There will probably be an early price drop and many resellers will start to return their consoles to stores (so they don't lose money) which will bloat inventories and result in even more unsold consoles.
    I understand it just fine. This is a much better way to explain it compared to what I had to reply to before. Props for the reply.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    That's the thing about taking over the casual market, a lot of them probably don't even know that the WiiU is something 'new'. I think it would have done even better if they gave it a different name.
    my wife thinks its just a new add on for wii.

Super Elite

Looks like Gamestop's website has it in stock with free shipping. That definitely didn't happen 2 weeks after the Wii launched. This launch is like watching a train wreck.
    http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/consol...uxe-set/104794

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Looks like Gamestop's website has it in stock with free shipping. That definitely didn't happen 2 weeks after the Wii launched. This launch is like watching a train wreck.
    http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/consol...uxe-set/104794
    There were two in stock where I got mine a couple days ago.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    I am just NOW starting to see the Wii U in stock around here where I live. I guess the recently received new shipments this past week.

8 years and counting!

Super Elite

The Wii U IS SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE! Stole this picture from another forum, someone took it in NYC Toys R Us.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 12-03-2012 at 17:59.

21. Likes MartyRules likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Hmmmm I think if you walked into that store you MIGHT have a chance of buying yourself a Wii U.

8 years and counting!

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    Hmmmm I think if you walked into that store you MIGHT have a chance of buying yourself a Wii U.
    It must have been a huge pain in the ass to be the employee putting those security devices on every one of those...

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Nintendo’s Wii U console sold around 40,000 units in its first 48 hours on sale in the UK, MCV understands.

Retail sources suggest that effectively amounts to a complete sellout on the UK High Street. Stock is continuing to filter through to retail at a trickle but abundant supplies are not expected until the New Year.

Undoubtedly sales could have been considerably higher had stocks have been more plentiful.

Furthermore, MCV understands that the console has enjoyed a software attach rate in excess of 2:1.

The figures were arrived at through a combination of feedback from retailers and software sales data passed on by trade sources. Using this MCV was able to extrapolate estimated sales based on the previously confirmed Wii U bundle market shares.
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wii-u...eekend/0107419

I haven't seen it sold out in shops near me. GAME have it instock online. Nintendo replineshing stock quick or.. ?

From Gaf:
    In comparison:

360 - 70K
    PS3 - 165K
    Wii - 105K
    Around the same as Vita apparently
    Last edited by Nitey; 12-03-2012 at 18:16.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    A bit early to be telling anything I would have thought.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The Wii U IS SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE! Stole this picture from another forum, someone took it in NYC Toys R Us.
    lol So much for the not enough stock to meet demand theory.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    All those are spoken for they are SOLD OUT!! LMAO

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information