Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Nintendo: 1.2 million hardware units sold, 400,000 Wii U

(Credit: Nintendo)

Nintendo sold more than 1 million hardware units over the last week, the company has confirmed to CNET.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told CNET in a phone interview today that during the last week, its internal data has shown total U.S. hardware sales have reached more than 1.2 million units. That figure includes the Wii U, Wii, 3DS, and DS.

According to Fils-Aime, Nintendo sold over 700,000 consoles during the last week. The Wii U topped the Wii with 400,000 units sold. The Wii, which Nintendo launched all the way back in 2006, was able to muster 300,000 Wii sales during the last week.

On the portable side, Nintendo sold more than 500,000 hardware units, including 250,000 3DS and 275,000 DS devices. Fils-Aime explained to CNET that the DS outsold the 3DS because of the "significant" deals retailers were offering on Black Friday.

Still, according to Fils-Aime, the 3DS "continues on record-setting pace" selling through more than 6 million units during its first 21 months on store shelves. During the same period, the original DS had about 1 million fewer sales.

The big story, however, is the Wii U, which launched on November 18. Fils-Aime explained to CNET that the Wii U's sales figures during the last week were essentially capped by the company's ability to get units to store shelves.

"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock," Fils-Aime said. "Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately."

Shortages are certainly nothing new to those who tried to get their hands on the Wii after its launch in 2006. Each week, shipments would trickle in to local retailers, and consumers would stand on line hoping enough units were available for them to get a unit. Web sites were even created to give customers hints on where they could find a Wii. Fils-Aime doesn't necessarily expect a repeat with the Wii U.

"Wii was a unique phenomenon," Fils-Aime said. "You couldn't walk into a retailer and buy a Wii until spring of 2009. We've certainly learned many lessons from that and we are replenishing retailers more quickly this time around. We are looking to have as much product into retail as possible. It's driven by consumer response."

This story has been updated throughout the morning.
    Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...-400000-wii-u/

Im a little surprised that DS sold more than the 3ds i would imagine it has alot to do with Pokemon white and black 2. And wii sold 300k? Not bad shocking as well LOL...

Reggies Reaction.....

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Its a shame they couldn't capitalize on demand. If the units were available the WiiU sales would of been MUCH higher.

8 years and counting!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    IDk i didnt think it was that hard for people to get a Wii U i was on a waiting list at game stop and 3 days later they called me for my deluxe if anything its the glitch problems and lack of a KIller app at launch thats hurting them.

My brother wants to get one but hes gonna wait for smash bros to come out to get one.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    Its a shame they couldn't capitalize on demand. If the units were available the WiiU sales would of been MUCH higher.
    I think they've done a good job with shipments. Stores near me have been in stock throughout the weekend.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    I think they've done a good job with shipments. Stores near me have been in stock throughout the weekend.
    Really?

So far I have been to both Wal-Marts, Target, Future Shop, Source, and EB looking for a WiiU. They are all sold out and have pre-orders backed up for weeks, or even several months depending on when they receive shipments.

8 years and counting!

Ultimate Veteran
    I think thats a pretty good number compared to other launches.

Previous NPD November launches for comparison:

Xbox (2001) 720,000
    Gamecube (2001) 660,000
    Nintendo DS (2004) 370,000
    Xbox 360 (2005) 326,000
    PlayStation 3 (2006) 197,000
    Wii (2006) 476,000

Shamelessly stolen from NeoGAF.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Not bad for launch numbers, let's see if it can get better.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Im looking forward to E3 next year its gonna be interesting for all the major companies.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ancient
    This article says different :-/ same souce too
    Nintendo has announced that the recently launched Wii U console has sold 400,000 units during its first week on the market in North America. In comparison, the original Wii sold 600,000 units during the first 8 days on the market. Nintendo’s Reggie Fils-Aime said that the Wii U is “essentially sold out” in North America and that they’re looking to replenish stock as soon as possible.
    On top of the Wii U sales, Nintendo also sold an impressive 300,000 Wii consoles. 3DS units saw sales of 250,000, while the original DS sold 275,000 units. Overall, during the last week of Holiday shopping, Black Friday included, Nintendo sold over 1.2 million hardware units.
    Nintendo was recently rumored to be working on a redesigned Wii Mini console, and it would certainly be a good idea — the Wii is still selling very strong, even in North America.
    As for the Wii U, Nintendo said they learned their lesson’s with the original Wii back in 2006, where they didn’t have enough stock for years. Now with the Wii U, they’ll have more production capability to meet consumer demand.
    if I remember those Wii numbers wasn't a full week, its 600 in its first week(ie 7 days), I remember people comparing it to the GCN launch too which sold 600 aswell

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Not bad at all. Black Friday is an awesome day for sales lol.

Veteran
    Really?

So far I have been to both Wal-Marts, Target, Future Shop, Source, and EB looking for a WiiU. They are all sold out and have pre-orders backed up for weeks, or even several months depending on when they receive shipments.
    It wont take them that long to get you one. They are just giving you a worst case scenario. If it does, you could always order online from elsewhere.

My only problem is I don't have the money to go get one

Super Elite

I agree with those saying there's stock. I went out ON SUNDAY two days AFTER Black Friday when I would expect there to be zero in stock. I looked inside of one of Target's locked cabinets and saw a white unit in there. I didn't ask if there were more. I figured if they had one this weekend that they would never sell out.

Just look up walmart with any zip code nad you'll see most stores have them in stock.
    Go try it yourself, go here, click "check store availability" and type in the following zipcodes for the most populated parts of the country:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-W...Black/21944098
    Zips to try:
    I could go on but as you can see, it's not "SOLD OUT" as Nintendo is spinning this. This has been a really soft launch.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Gamestop online has both models available now as well. Nintendo has done so much better this time around.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    In my area it just been hard to get a deluxe set but u can almost find a white basic set anywhere

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Superior Member
    That's a failure. It still retailed for less than the original 360 and PS3, the Wii has been dead for years (every Wii owner should be rushing to buy a Wii U), and it is a new product released right before the black friday madness. This console should have easily sold over 900,000 its first week and I know that Nintendo shipped more than 400,000 units no matter what Reggie says. If there was a really high demand for the console (which there was not) then they would meet demand for the rest of November at least.

Veteran
    That's the thing about taking over the casual market, a lot of them probably don't even know that the WiiU is something 'new'. I think it would have done even better if they gave it a different name.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    That's the thing about taking over the casual market, a lot of them probably don't even know that the WiiU is something 'new'. I think it would have done even better if they gave it a different name.
    people know what it is, the problem is people that went out and got a Wii because of the controller, it was easy-to-use compared to a gamepad, now they see Nintendos new Wii is not about dancing around the room and waving ya arms, its a large gamepad (which makes it worse) with a screen
    I know this, Ive heard Wii owners say they sticking to the Wii because "they don't like it"
    It resembles something they are not interested in
    Ya ever noticed how some girls have a go of ya AAA 360/PS3 game and get kill and wont to play it again, yet seem to love that shovel ware on her Wii?
    Thats the market Nintendo has and only purists are interested, I'd imagine its sell well, but they'll lose that market & gain a different one
    I know who the Wii's audience was, Nintendo don't seem to
    And yes I know you can use the WiiMote, but a lot of people don't.
    Did anyone see Reggie on CNN? The woman interviewing him kept referring to the Wii & its WiiMote & Wiifit asking what about those why a gamepad with a screen and she didn't look at all impressed
    Plus its worth a watch to see Reggie lie through his teeth " dramatically better looking versions of multiplats" apparently.

Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 11-27-2012 at 02:25.

Veteran
    I'm quite happy about it. I'd rather see Nintendo tend to core games.

For those people, they would have never needed to get a new console anyway. The crap they enjoy will still be made available for the Wii they already own.

Veteran
    At least they replenished better than they did with the Wii's launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    That's a failure. It still retailed for less than the original 360 and PS3, the Wii has been dead for years (every Wii owner should be rushing to buy a Wii U), and it is a new product released right before the black friday madness. This console should have easily sold over 900,000 its first week and I know that Nintendo shipped more than 400,000 units no matter what Reggie says. If there was a really high demand for the console (which there was not) then they would meet demand for the rest of November at least.
    Lol this is probably the funniest post I've seen concerning the Wii U.

I'd say it was a pretty good launch for them. I want to see what their numbers are once Sony and Microsoft launch their consoles.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    Lol this is probably the funniest post I've seen concerning the Wii U.

I'd say it was a pretty good launch for them. I want to see what their numbers are once Sony and Microsoft launch their consoles.
    Launch number don't mean a thing, both the original Xbox & GameCube had double those numbers and we know what happened there
    The only thing you can pull from it it sold less at launch then Nintendos previous two consoles

Sent via Codec

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Launch number don't mean a thing, both the original Xbox & GameCube had double those numbers and we know what happened there
    The only thing you can pull from it it sold less at launch then Nintendos previous two consoles

Sent via Codec
    Oh definitely I agree. Launch numbers are just that. Seems they nearly sold out of the deluxe bundle with a lot of people waiting on that one.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    people know what it is, the problem is people that went out and got a Wii because of the controller, it was easy-to-use compared to a gamepad, now they see Nintendos new Wii is not about dancing around the room and waving ya arms, its a large gamepad (which makes it worse) with a screen I know this, Ive heard Wii owners say they sticking to the Wii because "they don't like it" It resembles something they are not interested in Ya ever noticed how some girls have a go of ya AAA 360/PS3 game and get kill and wont to play it again, yet seem to love that shovel ware on her Wii? Thats the market Nintendo has and only purists are interested, I'd imagine its sell well, but they'll lose that market & gain a different one I know who the Wii's audience was, Nintendo don't seem to And yes I know you can use the WiiMote, but a lot of people don't. Did anyone see Reggie on CNN? The woman interviewing him kept referring to the Wii & its WiiMote & Wiifit asking what about those why a gamepad with a screen and she didn't look at all impressed Plus its worth a watch to see Reggie lie through his teeth " dramatically better looking versions of multiplats" apparently. Sent via Codec
    lol Yep I still haven't seen any of these "dramatically" better looking multiplats either. You could see Reggie's nose getting longer after telling that lie.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'll be either backing Lethal's statement about AC3, or demoralizing him lol. We'll see soon.

Super Elite

When folks selling on eBay are taking losses 2 weeks after launch, you know the console is in trouble. Look at this guy for instance.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wii...p2047675.l2557

He paid the following (I'm going to assume he got some deals here)
    $350 console
    $90 games (buy 1 get 1 half off)
    $40 controller (assuming he found a sale somewhere).
    $70 eBay + paypal fees
    $35 sales tax in the state he lives (thanks for the info google)
    $30 shipping + insurance + signature confirmation
    = total overhead for this bundle is at $615.

So he's paying 615 and getting 537. Even if he got some extra deals, got a lower sales tax rate in a different state, or had some other way to reduce costs, there's simply no way he made a profit on this. Not only are the stores well stocked, I fully expect a flood of returns from people that thought they were going to flip them for profits.

Thread Information