Master Guru
    Items User name style

Best article of the decade - Yoshida: Another Mistake Like FF14 Would "Destroy" SE

They had a similar experience with Final Fantasy Spirits Within where they planned big for a franchise that hadn't even taken off yet and they got burned

They did this to themselves though, who the hell expects the industry and fans to not judge your product? If your product gets released it's going to either be praised or slammed even if you want it not to be judged which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You either release something that is complete or don't release it at all.

Yoshida: Another Mistake Like FF14 Would "Destroy" Square

"Unless you are a genius, you cannot make something completely new from nothing."

by Luke Karmali
    NOVEMBER 27, 2012

Naoki Yoshida has revealed that he feels another mistake like Final Fantasy XIV would end up "destroying" Square Enix.
    Speaking with Kotaku, the game's producer and director explained that his team is fully aware of the pressure on them to salvage the brand's reputation following the poor reception the MMO received. He asserted that this was why they were determined not to launch the revamped Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn until they feel the game is ready.

We won't make a mistake like FFXIV again. If we did, it would be like at the level of destroying the company.

"We won't make a mistake like FFXIV again," he said. "If we did, it would be like at the level of destroying the company."
    Final Fantasy XIV launched back in 2010 to a negative reaction from fans and critics alike, resulting in Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada saying "the Final Fantasy brand has been greatly damaged."

Just why the game didn't fare particularly well has been the subject of much scrutiny over the last couple of years, but now Yoshida himself has waded in with his thoughts. Filling both the producer and director roles for the game since December 2010, when the previous producer of the game resigned and left the company, he's now revealed he had qualms about the state of the game even before he was involved with it.
    "When I heard that it was going to go on sale as planned, I thought, that will probably be a big mistake," he admitted, before saying he believes the fundamental error made was that lessons weren't learned from other MMOs. The original team supposedly were just trying to make an MMO that felt different from Final Fantasy XI, which Yoshida believes was a mistake.

"I think it would've been good if they tried seeing what happened if they turned World of Warcraft into Final Fantasy. So, because they tried only to make something that was 'different from FFXI,' they ended up with not much of anything.

"They should have said, 'Hey you, go play WoW for a year [for inspiration].'

"Unless you are a genius, you cannot make something completely new from nothing."

There's still no set launch date for the revamped Final Fantasy XIV, though it's expected to appear around the middle of 2013. The PlayStation 3 version is also still in development, with more details expected on that soon.

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    when it comes to the FF series as a whole, they damaged it completely this gen. SE for some reason became more stupid and it seems every year they got dumber and dumber. I highly doubt they will get back into the RPG base like they use to be, I think this company $#@!ed it all up.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So they buggered 14 and it was slammed by fans and critics alike but are re-releasing it 3 years later and they think thats a good idea?

4. Likes DarkVincent07, Bigdoggy likes this post
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    What amazes me is there excuse of a "promise" for keeping a sub in, they would be smart to make it F2P on PS3 - at least that would get my attention.. maybe.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    So they buggered 14 and it was slammed by fans and critics alike but are re-releasing it 3 years later and they think thats a good idea?
    I know right, if they were smart which they aren't they would keep their assests from failed projects and actually make games people want like Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy X HD, and Final Fantasy Agito XIII (Type Zero). Instead they purchased Eidos and are trying to be a company they weren't in the past, the way they're acting now totally destroys the image they layed out for themselves when they were Squaresoft

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

7. Likes zex494 likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Well, yeah. FFXI is their most successful Final Fantasy game to date. The game makes them a steady cash flow. Not to mention that MMO projects cost a ridiculous amount of money to make and maintain, something 38 Studios learned the hard way. So you can't blame a company that wants to recoup some major losses. This is far worse than a game release selling far under their intended target goal.

Unfortunately for SE there has already been a lot of damage to the franchise in general. It will take a lot more than just fixing XIV. People have already made their opinions on the XIII saga, so I think all eyes will be on XV. I think that is a project that cannot afford to $#@! up.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Just you wait and see how FF XIV will turn things around.

Meanwhile, you guys can go play through FF VII for the 200th time.

Ultimate Veteran
    Remaking Final Fantasy XIV makes more sense than taking 10 years, in their words, to remake Final Fantasy VII, which was already hugely successful.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-27-2012 at 20:23.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    SE can go to hell tbh. I'm starting to think FF13vs is being developed for the 360 on the hush. There's no reason that game shouldn't be out yet.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

12. Likes zex494 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Square Enix better not fall off the map. I can't quit playing FFXI.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    After the release of both FFXIII and FFXIV, i was disappointed in SE and the only thing that could redeem them a little for me is release FFX HD and FFXIIIvs.

FFXIV was a mess. FFXIII was a corridor FF and true to the old formulas, but more westernized!!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    They should have dropped all their projects this gen and just remade FFVII.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    They should have dropped all their projects this gen and just remade FFVII.
    Except they aren't obligated to remake anything.

And even if they gave into the selfish demands of some hardcore fans, do you honestly believe it would save the company? Why wouldn't you want to play through a brand new, open world JRPG?

Square Enix have made a habit of announcing one too many titles over the years but they shouldn't stop creating new experiences.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-28-2012 at 09:18.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    what damaged Final fantasy is FFXIII with its mix of interactive movie, action with few RPG elements
    sad thing is millions of gamers bought the game anyway

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Remaking Final Fantasy XIV makes more sense than taking 10 years, in their words, to remake Final Fantasy VII, which was already hugely successful.
    exactly, they keep on making the dumbest decisions. I really think this company is to stubborn to stay open. if they keep acting this way I wouldn't be surprised to see them shut the doors within 5 more years imo. They seem so detached from their RPG fanbase and not only that but they don't even acknowledge the success of past RPG's, they straight up refuse to acknowledge any past successes.

I can definitely see this company losing all the RPG base, they most likely already lost most of them.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Can't seem to give a $#@! about this company anymore.

Thread Information