Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Hideo Kojima doesn't want to just be 'the Metal Gear guy'

During a wide-ranging interview with EGM at Konami’s offices in Tokyo, Japan, Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima offered up some revealing hints at the future of the series, the technology that will power upcoming games, and how he wants to be remembered beyond the franchise.

“I’m often misinterpreted,” Kojima explains. “I’ve always said that I want to work on original properties, but Metal Gear offers plenty of benefits. The Fox Engine, for example, took a lot of time and money [to create]; we were only able to develop it because it was intended for the next Metal Gear. In the next game, I’m introducing concepts intended for entirely new intellectual properties using the Metal Gear brand.”

While Konami refused to confirm whether this is in reference to Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes or some other upcoming entry in the Metal Gear franchise, Kojima did speak about what may influence the titles.

“Grand Theft Auto III came out the same year as Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, and it seemed the thought processes behind the two games were completely different. It was beyond game design; the area a player could explore was so vast that not even the game designer could predict all possible outcomes. That title definitely opened my eyes.”

And how does he feel about the legacy he’s created with the Metal Gear universe?

“I’ll admit that I hope my future endeavors are thought of as ‘works by Hideo Kojima’ rather than ‘from the creator of Metal Gear,” he says. “I haven’t really shown the world what else I might be capable of yet. This may sound pretentious, but I don’t like being thought of as ‘the Metal Gear guy.’ There’s a lot more I can do.”

You can read more from EGM’s exclusive interview with Hideo Kojima in Issue 258, on newsstands everywhere as well as on browsers, Facebook, and tablet devices next month.
    via EGM Now.

Well, I've always said he should work on a new IP, although I'm still very much looking forward to Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Well....if he doesn't want to be that guy ​then why continue on and be involved? Pretty easy remedy to that 'problem' Hideo.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    This must be the 10th time he said that.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Probably has to step in and swerve the car in the right direction whenever he leaves his subordinates in charge of Metal Gear related projects. Poor guy.

But yeah, like Wrath said, he has said this numerous times before. I could have sworn he had project ogre or something in the works? Or maybe that was in fact Ground Zeroes? Not sure, but unfortunately for him he will probably be known as just the Metal Gear guy .

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Then stop canning your other projects

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    As long as he moves onto a new IP and not Zone of Enders I'll be happy for him to do something else.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Make another game Kojima, or STFU!

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    This isn't the first time he has said this, either. I think it's primarily due to him not trusting others with MGS. He keeps saying he wants to move on and then works on another MGS game. I personally love the games, but I don't blame the man for wanting to do other projects.

Veteran
    Kojima also likes the idea of giving The Boss her own game. But that means a new arc that precedes entire series and would inevitably have multiple titles. And let's not forget Rising, a new arc that follows the entire series, which he is open to being a franchise if it is successful.

Kojima feels up to opening up the Metal Gear series from both ends, yet at the same time, he doesnt want to be "that guy"? That's fine, but take a break already. I feel he needs to at least halt the series once he finally bridges the Big Boss Arc with the Solid Arc (Metal Gear 1)...for the good of himself and the series. If he wants to come back to Metal Gear, he should do it after he has done other IPs.

I can't help but feel like he wanted to halt things in the past, though. Konami probably pressures their staff to keep MG going in spite of Kojima's wishes. Not sure how much control he has over the IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Super Elite
    THe thing is that is what he is remembered by.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Well then what he can do is sell the franchise or let someone else dev it and give it a reboot. Yah that's it let's reboot MGS. Only the die hard fans will be pissed and the reboot could be better.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Thread Information