Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

The system has become hot

I was playing fifa 13 and I got the message at the top right of the screen "the system has become hot" it then shut down. Should I be worried? as it seems to be working fine as soon as I turned it back on. I have the slim model.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Superior Member
    How long have you had it?

Is it well ventilated? Is the fan louder than normal?

Check around the vents to see if there is a lot of dust build up. I've had my slim since 09', I opened it up not too long ago to clear out the dust build up.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    This is what my system said before ylod way back when I had my 60gig

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    No loud fan noise, I have been playing black ops 2 for over 30 mins and no problems yet.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Super Elite
    Try and keep your PS3 in a well ventalated area.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Definitely make a full backup of your system. Just in case this could be an early sign of YLOD.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I was playing Killzone 3 late one night and my PS3 said "go to bed, you have to get up early for work tomorrow."

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    How long have you had it?

Is it well ventilated? Is the fan louder than normal?

Check around the vents to see if there is a lot of dust build up. I've had my slim since 09', I opened it up not too long ago to clear out the dust build up.
    How did you open it up? Did cleaning out the dust help the noise? My PS3 Slim 120GB is really really loud sometimes...

Master Guru
    That's random. At least it tells you when it's getting hot though.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    It would be best to get a vacuum cleaner on the rear fan and front area to get as much dust out as possible and back up your data before you do the next thing which you be to take out the hard drive and give it a clean inside the slot. Just give it a really good clean and you be surprised how much you get out.

I think you can even take it to certain shops and they will open it up and clean it out for you for a charge but I dont know if I would trust them

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    It would be best to get a vacuum cleaner on the rear fan and front area to get as much dust out as possible and back up your data before you do the next thing which you be to take out the hard drive and give it a clean inside the slot. Just give it a really good clean and you be surprised how much you get out.

I think you can even take it to certain shops and they will open it up and clean it out for you for a charge but I dont know if I would trust them
    I might have to ask around, cheers

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    How did you open it up? Did cleaning out the dust help the noise? My PS3 Slim 120GB is really really loud sometimes...
    I'm quite handy with that sort of thing, just today I rescued one of my mates games from his recent YLOD 60GB.

There are probably tutorials on how to take it apart on Youtube, it's not too difficult if you're confident with taking things apart.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    I'm quite handy with that sort of thing, just today I rescued one of my mates games from his recent YLOD 60GB. There are probably tutorials on how to take it apart on Youtube, it's not too difficult if you're confident with taking things apart.
    As well as being confident with putting things back together again. lol

Superior Member
    ^^^
    That too!!! lol!

Apprentice
    IDk about just vacuuming these things. Get some compressed air and unplug your PS3. Use it around all the vents and such really well and then let it sit for a little while. The compressed air cans work better than a vacuum as they adhere to dust particles and help carry them out. It will blast a lot more on the inside and loosen it up more than just suction will get on its own.

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" with the MATE 1.6 desktop environment.
    Long live the Penguin!

I have the original 80gb 4 USB model its a pain to take apart but after cleaning everything inside, fan, heat sink, mb ect. and putting Arctic Silver for the thermal paste its running slightly cooler and quieter. I'd suggest it if your comfortable with it take it apart make sure to get rid of all the heat soaking dust with compressed air :thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    MY PS3 died on me 2 weeks ago. I did anything and everything to try and save it but was unable to pull my saves off the HDD. I would do a backup just to be safe before it is too late (like myself). I managed to get 5 years out of that bad boy though, which still isn't enough in my opinion. So I did like any hardcore gamer would do, I went and bought a new one.

So I am now on my 2nd PS3, and 3rd Xbox 360, while my original NES is still going strong!

8 years and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    MY PS3 died on me 2 weeks ago. I did anything and everything to try and save it but was unable to pull my saves off the HDD. I would do a backup just to be safe before it is too late (like myself). I managed to get 5 years out of that bad boy though, which still isn't enough in my opinion. So I did like any hardcore gamer would do, I went and bought a new one.

So I am now on my 2nd PS3, and 3rd Xbox 360, while my original NES is still going strong!
    yeah I know that feel man! My awesome 60GB kept dying on me and I lost all my saves.... I eventually got it working enough for me to trade it in but it was really on its way out and kept locking up and not reading disks.... traded it plus $30 for a slim suckers ><

Anyway, THANKS for reminding me about backing up save data. I'm gonna do that tomorrow, I haven't for ages! I usually like to every few months just to be sure. Can you do it for the 360 too? Like onto a USB/external HDD?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    BRRPPPPPPPPPPPPP
    make sure to back up everything
    Jamie Colliver,London, UK, Final Fantasy VII LittleBigPlanet 2 Remake Creator

Thread Information