Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member

Rumour: PS4 to be called omni

It seems Sony are working on something called the omniviewer to.

– Sony is near the middle end part of their Project Orbis, their next generation PS4. It will not be called Playstation 4, teams have started to call the final name as Omni. Omni will reflect their new hardware and content delivery philosophy. Omni will be “very capable” of doing modern day graphics compared to a Direct X 11 level of technology like Unreal Engine 4 and Frostbite 2. Compared to Wii U, it is better, but not the biggest leap in the world according to developer friends of mine. The key is the Omniviewer, a thin, lite and slick head mounted autosteroptic display that can track the users head and presents a 360 image view with semi transparent AMOLED screens. This can turn any TV into a 3D TV, as well as add extra augmented reality information outside of the TV screen. One application from an entertainment perspective seeing movies in 2k, 4k or IMAX resolutions as their original size where you have to move your head to look at the full picture being displayed. Can also synch with the Vita. The new controllers whether it’s the Duo-Moves or the Classic DuoShock will have pulse sensors in the grips for biofeedback gameplay. Plans are a Basic Unit with 160 gigs and just the system with controller at $350-$399 and one with the Omniviewer and a pack-in game for $450-$499. Aims are for a September 2013 launch.

– Omni is also part of their philosophy with the new OmniCloud, the new version of Gaktai. This service will not only cloud stream PS1, PS2 and select PS3 games to Playstation Certified devices but will also allow every digital and retail purchase to have access to a copy on the cloud. Basically, you buy one game, you can use it on any Plyastation device. Direct hardware Backwards Compatibility will be available by a $70 – $99 dongle that is plugged into the Omni that contains a PS3 on a chip with Cell to run games.
    The article mentions the other next-gen systems to, they also mention that the next xbox will be 2-3 times more powerfull then the PS4.
    http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rum...wear-next-gen/
    Last edited by MGSfan; 11-30-2012 at 09:47.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    We can throw this on the pile along with all the other speculation regarding next gen. I take these articles with a pinch of sale these days.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    2-3 times is 100-200% more powerful... i think that site is smoking some questionable substances
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Yeah, I am going to call shenanigans on this info, the whole "Omni" name and head mounted display just seems really off base compared to all the other rumors out there...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    blah, I like how they tried to sneak in the Xbox jab towards the PS4, trying to start another fan war. lol

anyway, this is all a bunch of "meh fluff".

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I don't understand the supposed Microsoft idea. The game will be projected on the walls around you, so does that mean you need to play in a room without couches or objects in the way?

The Sony headset sounds a bit better, but I also don't like the idea of having to wear something every time I want to play games.

The video games industry is going to be very awkward until they manage to actually get us in the middle of the game somehow. All of these attempts sort of do it, but don't.

But then again, one of the reasons I love video games is because they don't requite much physical effort. You can go on a grand adventure and slay enemies just by sitting on your couch and moving your fingers. Sure, if I have the free time and energy, running around in a virtual world would be a blast, but gaming would no longer be something I could do to relax.

7. Likes DarkVincent07, Fijiandoce likes this post
    PSN ID
    shingi70
    Fake rumor is fake. A lot of this seems like bull$#@! with only a little being right because its the next logical step to take.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Thats cool, I like the name Omni. But I really hope they stick to calling it the PS4.
    Or the Playstation 4. The Playstation 4 is a good name and they haven't changed the name yet so I think they shouldn't.
    EIther way it will still be the Playstation 4 so thats all good.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post
    Fake rumor is fake. A lot of this seems like bull$#@! with only a little being right because its the next logical step to take.
    Yeah, it does read like someone who has too much time on his hands and is imagining what the coming years will be like.

But apparently this guy has been correct on previous rumors, which gives this some credibility.

Soldier 95B
    PlayStation Omni

makes me think of...

12. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    @Soldier 95B

It reminds me of this...

Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 11-30-2012 at 20:34.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Omnishambles....a word termed in the uk, and one which will probably apply to sony in the near future.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Bollocks!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    @Soldier 95B

It reminds me of this...

lol, i want one.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Orbis is a much better name than Omni.... These 'rumours' seem the most far fetched out of all of the ones we've heard lately.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Frankely all I need to put is this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrjwa...e_gdata_player
    The article is full of spelling errors and completely flawed ideas on how technology works.

Thank you itachi

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    I wanna 1TB HDD PS4
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

Ancient
    Devs have already said both the Nextgen systems are very powerful with PS4 having the extra grunt processor wise & the other having the ram, plus the rumored specs point to that too, this sounds like they reckon its be like the Wii U with Sonys headmount display that retails at a grand(the headmount), not very convincing if ya ask me

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Devs have already said both the Nextgen systems are very powerful with PS4 having the extra grunt processor wise & the other having the ram, plus the rumored specs point to that too, this sounds like they reckon its be like the Wii U with Sonys headmount display that retails at a grand(the headmount), not very convincing if ya ask me

Sent via Codec
    I never heard the issue with RAM being less on the PS4. If that was in some article I will call bull$#@! mainly because they would assume that considering the PS3 ram was split and therefor was less than it's competitor.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 12-01-2012 at 16:41.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    interesting read....I'll wait to e3 before i give a ish

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post

Sent via Codec
    Sounds JUST like this generation's launch except on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I never heard the issue with RAM being less on the PS4. If that was in some article I will call bull$#@! mainly because they would assume that considering the PS3 ram was split and therefor was less than it's competitor.
    I have read different things from different developers. I heard the Xbox has more ram and cpu power and I heard the PS has more of each. Sadly I can no longer believe what I read.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I have read different things from different developers. I heard the Xbox has more ram and cpu power and I heard the PS has more of each. Sadly I can no longer believe what I read.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
    my guess is both is correct, competition feeds improvement, Sony might of gone for less ram and less cpu power because Microsoft seemed more focused on Casual titles, but now that the focused has changed they throw in some extra oomph

Thank you itachi

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Obviously the writer of the Rumour article has no idea how technology works. "just plug in a dongle, and you have backwards compatibility" yeah right. What sort of a port gives that kinda bandwidth for the cell to work? Lightning connector? Not likely

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Now that is some iffy stuff

Thread Information