Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Toxic Spill In New Jersey ( Train Details And Spills Toxic All Over Creek )

USA News Hazmat: New Jersey train derails, toxic spill reported in creek

Today: 14:10 10 comments

TAGS: Health, USA

Hazmat: New Jersey train derails, toxic spill reported in creek

Published: 30 November, 2012, 17:42

New Jersey train derailment sends chemical tanks into creek (Screenshot from nj1015.com)

A freight train derailment in southern New Jersey has caused a spill of vinyl chloride. Four tank cars were dumped into Mantua Creek, Paulsboro, on Friday and at least one of them is leaking the hazardous material, report local media.

Paulsboro residents are urged to stay indoors with windows and doors closed. A number of people in the immediate area have been evacuated, reports CBS.

Eighteen people are having difficulty breathing, according to the Gloucester County Times. Ambulances have been dispatched.

Firefighters and hazardous materials crews are working at the scene. Officials are trying to determine what the cars were carrying. The US Coast Guard has been notified as the chemical might be leaking into the Delaware River which is nearby.

It is not yet clear what exactly caused the derailment, but images from the scene show a train bridge collapsed while at least two cars plunged into the creek and one got hanging over a trestle. A shiny slick can be seen on the water.

The incident took place just after 7am local time (12pm GMT), Gloucester Office of Emergency Management confirms.

Paulsboro Borough with around 6,000 inhabitants is just over the river from Philadelphia. The area of the incident is described as very industrial though there are some homes as well as Paulsboro High School and Billingsport Elementary School. Roadways leading into the borough with are closed.

Vinyl chloride is a colorless gas with a sweet odor that is easily ignited. The federal Environmental Protection Agency lists the gas as a Group A human carcinogen. It is used to make polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic and vinyl products. Short-term exposure to high levels of vinyl chloride in the air has an effect on the central nervous system and can cause drowsiness, dizziness and headaches.
    Some images on site for you to see the accident

http://rt.com/usa/news/train-vinyl-c...e-njersey-980/
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    ...Zombies?

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk 2

3. Likes Lebowski , claud3 likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    ...Zombies?

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk 2
    Could be. A few years ago, we had to go to a town that a train derailed and put this in the air and it killed a dozen people. We had to walk and tag each house and business we checked, etc. It was terrible for us, and 100x worse for those that lived there. We spent a few days in that town in our hazmat gear.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Thats horrible. Especially when the cargo are toxics.

El Presidente
    I hope they can get that cleaned up as fast as possible. That's gonna kill off any fish in that creek too.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It took us a little over a month to do that without the water contamination being as bad as this.

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Its insane, but cleaning up can only do so much

With the spill leaking into the soil and ground. It will not be cleaned at 100%
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    It will take time for ground contaminant problems to be resolved.

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Soon, we may witness the birth of... [This was a real movie by the way, that happened to take place in NJ.]

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Thread Information