Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran

Sony patents break-apart hybrid Move/Dual Shock controller

A Sony patent submitted last year has been published. It details a hybrid Move/Dual Shock controller that can split in the middle. It seems this is going to give Move even more precision with two calibration spheres. Each section has its own magnetometer, gyro and vibration.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120302347.pdf

Last edited by Bligmerk; 11-30-2012 at 17:42.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This is very interesting. But is there really a need for the 2 huge balls on top? I mean really? It not only looks hideous, but makes it seem like low grade technology. The Wii remote didn't have a huge ball on top of it for tracking motion, so why does this need it? I like the idea and I think this would be quite comfortable with half a remote in each hand for motion control games, whereas a user can quickly snap them together for a more control activated game.

8 years and counting!

3. Likes Black Beast likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I guess this is going to be called the Move/ DualShock 4. Sounds like a new next-gen controller.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I like my controllers to be ball-free

6. Likes $Greatness$ , Ixion likes this post
    Veteran
    No reason to bring up the balls again. I know this is Beavis and Butthead humor (hehe, he said balls) but this has been discussed ad nauseum a few years ago, especially regarding the difference in motion controller approaches. These are just patent concept sketches and anybody that is over 5 years old knows final products rarely look like their patent sketches. In addition, Sony has said several times they will be able to reduce the size of the reference spheres (hehe, he said balls).
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    if the next Xbox sticks to controller / TV / Couch and Sony decides to go the move route more, I will by only a Xbox because honestly, I just want to sit on the $#@!in couch and game. I'm sick of this move / kinect $#@!. ugh

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Agreed. I look at gaming as a time to relax or take out frustrations by shooting and killing people on-line. I have zero interest in motion controlled games.

8 years and counting!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    This is very interesting. But is there really a need for the 2 huge balls on top? I mean really? It not only looks hideous, but makes it seem like low grade technology. The Wii remote didn't have a huge ball on top of it for tracking motion, so why does this need it? I like the idea and I think this would be quite comfortable with half a remote in each hand for motion control games, whereas a user can quickly snap them together for a more control activated game.
    The balls are necessary to give the PSeye a clear and easily recognisable point of reference which has facilitated Moves ability to do 1:1 tracking. You couldn't play a game like Tumble with the Wii mote.

Ultimate Veteran
    I think it's a cool concept. I don't see myself using the Move much, or any motion-controlled peripheral, but it would save people the trouble of buying an entirely new set of controllers. If split into two, however, the controls might be a bit awkward if based on your traditional Dualshock layout.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-30-2012 at 21:56.

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    if the next Xbox sticks to controller / TV / Couch and Sony decides to go the move route more, I will by only a Xbox because honestly, I just want to sit on the $#@!in couch and game.
    This ^^ i'm happy with the dualshock pad and just wanna sit on my couch n blown $#@! up. Don't wanna piss about with some poncy interconnecting pad. Just $#@! off sony.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I wouldn't use anything that looked like that lol. It looks ridiculous.

14. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    if the next Xbox sticks to controller / TV / Couch and Sony decides to go the move route more, I will by only a Xbox because honestly, I just want to sit on the $#@!in couch and game. I'm sick of this move / kinect $#@!. ugh
    Yep me too. Give me my controller, TV and couch. Move and Kinect can go piss off.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Evey time I see a kinect add (move aswell,but those are rare) I cringe. I wonder if anyone at MS or Sony really thought that the hardcore crowd would like motion controls

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Evey time I see a kinect add (move aswell,but those are rare) I cringe. I wonder if anyone at MS or Sony really thought that the hardcore crowd would like motion controls
    The PS Move is awesome when done right. The Fight: Lights Out, Tiger Woods 2013, Sports Champions.

However, I think this controller design sucks. With my luck, I would lose one half of the controller.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I wonder why anyone would think motion control has anything to do with the hardcore crowd.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Never played move or kinect and I will never will I don't want to use a light up toy or myself as a controller. I'm fine with a remote and my ass on the couch!

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage

If they can miniaturize the reference tracking technology in the spheres and have it exist comfortably within the existing shell of the current DualShock or "Boomerang" controller design, it would do real well. As it is now though, the reference spheres make the controller ergonomically incorrect. I guess this is just one of those things we'll have to wait and see about.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    You got to give it to it though. This controller has balls!

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

22. Likes YoungMullah88 , Ezekiel, F34R likes this post
    Apprentice
    If the next Playstation is built around anything Move related I will firmly ignore it. I got 2 moves and a nav and NEVER use them. There is a few fundamental flaws that BREAKS the move for me. 1) You have to calibrate these for every use. 2) You NEED optimal lighting or it won't work.

The 1st issue is a minor annoyance. The 2nd issue is a deal breaker. I remember not being able to get through the training missions on The Fight cause I couldn't get enough light in the living room. Other times it was too much light. Just sucked the joy right out of owning those pieces of junk having to deal with something so idiotic when everything else that is motion control is plug and play and works great.

The Wii Plus controllers are way more fun, easy, and practical to use. Kinect is great cause it's infrared. You can still use it without absolute optimal lighting. In fact you can use it in the dark.

The Move is probably the stupidest technology Sony ever conceived. Just the one fact, needing optimal lighting just to use it.....it never should of left the drawing board stages.

Besides, those pictures are really old. I remember seeing those schematics on-line years ago. I think at one point that's how the Move was going to be.
    Last edited by GypsyKid; 12-01-2012 at 04:06.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Atlas-0-
    Hmmm... maybe the spheres are removable? I don't see the reason for the hysterics just yet.

Nirai Kanai

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyKid View Post
    If the next Playstation is built around anything Move related I will firmly ignore it. I got 2 moves and a nav and NEVER use them. There is a few fundamental flaws that BREAKS the move for me. 1) You have to calibrate these for every use. 2) You NEED optimal lighting or it won't work.

The 1st issue is a minor annoyance. The 2nd issue is a deal breaker. I remember not being able to get through the training missions on The Fight cause I couldn't get enough light in the living room. Other times it was too much light. Just sucked the joy right out of owning those pieces of junk having to deal with something so idiotic when everything else that is motion control is plug and play and works great.

The Wii Plus controllers are way more fun, easy, and practical to use. Kinect is great cause it's infrared. You can still use it without absolute optimal lighting. In fact you can use it in the dark.

The Move is probably the stupidest technology Sony ever conceived. Just the one fact, needing optimal lighting just to use it.....it never should of left the drawing board stages.

Besides, those pictures are really old. I remember seeing those schematics on-line years ago. I think at one point that's how the Move was going to be.
    I used to play Killzone in the dark with Move. I never had any accuracy problems.

Veteran
    If this becomes the stock controller, then you will get a PS Eye out of the box, too (the balls on the PS Move were for the PS Eye to recognize depth and positioning).

I always loved the breakaway controller idea. They had concepts illustrations of this for years and it was only a matter of time before they it would evolve into an actual DualShock. Traditional gaming could innovate from mini controllers; especially when you can assemble and de-assemble on-the-fly, which could allow for multiple and/or dynamic gameplay mechanics in a given game.

The balls need to be removable, though. The light recognition concept causes a remarkable cosmetic failure on Sony's part. The Eye (or whatever it will be on PS4) needs to recognize movement in a way that is less obtrusive to the controller's design so that the tech can compete better. I'm sorry but no average Joe will want to play traditional video games with two giant orbs.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to end this post here before I start talking about removable balls again (eff, too late).
    Last edited by Bio; 12-01-2012 at 05:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Ultimate Veteran
    I've never seen people this upset over some balls.

They could always make them smaller or replace it with a more subtle sensor. And I severely doubt that all we would be playing were motion-controlled games, simply because Sony might incorporate parts of Move to the next iteration of Dualshock. Move was never hugely successful to begin with.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 12-01-2012 at 05:46.

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Master Guru
    I think Sony has hinted at this controller with their PS Vita ads. I noticed the controller snapped apart to turn into the Vita to show whether it's in the living room or on a train. PS gaming can be had.

Sony's always innovating. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I wouldn't use anything that looked like that lol. It looks ridiculous.

I would love to play games with that controller- I'm sure it'll get normal-looking with time. . .

Thread Information