Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

Agni's Philosophy runs at 60fps uses 1.8GB VRAM

The rig used for demo:
    i7 3770K 3.5 GHz (CPU load was very low so did not need that powerful CPU)
    GTX 680
    32GB RAM (running editor software simultaneously with unoptimized demo)

Uses 8x MSAA + FXAA + Depth of Field for AA
    1.8GB VRAM required (very suitable for next consoles)

Use link for pics and graphs etc
    Lots more info (google translate)
    Image that blew my mind

She has the world reflections IN HER EYES!

Take out 8xMSAA, just use FXAA and it works perfectly with the rumored next gen specs
    NeoGaf
    Last edited by Itachi; 12-01-2012 at 21:27.

2. Likes Foraeli, F34R wishes they had posted this first.
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So next gen graphhics runs on current gen hardware.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Indoril Nerevar
    I don't believe it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    60fps on a single 680 is nothing short of amazing. Even if they had to drop it to 30fps, its looking like we can definitly see next gen games like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I don't believe it.
    What exactly? all of it? lol
    I find it very belivable, except the VRAM part, cus I presumed it would atleast require 4gb VRAM or something

Nerdgasm

Forum Sage

I looks beautiful.

Indoril Nerevar
    Specifically the RAM, yes. I just don't see how that could be.

Forum Sage

I dunno. These new Gigahertz GPUs pack quite the wallop though so while I don't think the VRAM is impossible, I don't find it very plausible. (I think GPU manufacturers need to move beyond the GDDR standard.)

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Those graphics are indeed impressive and 60 fps is just incredible. I really hope that next gen games will run at a constant 60 fps.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    How far along will we start wishing for 120Hz? Is can there be a limit?
    I've seen many test on random gamers that failed to noticed between 60 vs 120. Now 120 vs 240 will be even more difficult to notice if impossible entirely

Near the end of next gen when devs need to try really hard to improve graphics, 60fps will be the first thing they drop

PSU Technical Advisor
    No, "60fps" will never be the standard unless Sony\MS explicitly mandate that this be the case in order for a game to appear on their console- which will never happen.

Developers will continue making trade offs they deem important in order to push the envelope ever further. Sure, Killzone 2 could have been a 60fps game- but it wouldn't have looked half as good at 720p now would it?
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

12. Likes Black wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    No, "60fps" will never be the standard unless Sony\MS explicitly mandate that this be the case in order for a game to appear on their console- which will never happen.

Developers will continue making trade offs they deem important in order to push the envelope ever further. Sure, Killzone 2 could have been a 60fps game- but it wouldn't have looked half as good at 720p now would it?
    definitely. Devs that are currently working on next gen titles say that there is pressure both internally and from MS and Sony to have native 1080p and some are aiming for 1080p60 aswell. However 60fps isn't being stressed as much

Power Member
    Consoles sticking at 30FPS is not progress is it.
    Didnt video game used to be 60FPS when they were 2D? You know like mario and all those?

Just to put it into perspective BF3 uses nearly all my VRAM on my 1GB card at 1024x768 resolution if I use ultra settings.
    Would it use more if I had a 2GB card?
    But if I use LOW it only uses just over half.

Last edited by keefy; 12-02-2012 at 19:23.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    I won't use more if you had 2gig, because when a game runs out of video memory the fps tanks, and I'm talking like from 60fps to 6 fps and since your screen shots tell that it runs at 66fps that means thats all the game requires at that resolution/settings. If you increase the resolution that it may need more Vram

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Can someone explain GHz to me? Or rather, the significance of what one GPU or CPU clocks at that makes it important for console specs?

I'm not as tech-savvy as you guys. I base a lot of my assumptions on impressive tech by the number that follows the GPU series (X600 or whatever) and the amount of RAM; 4GB of DDR3 is said to be future-proof.
    Last edited by Black; 12-02-2012 at 21:08.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Can someone explain GHz to me? Or rather, the significance of what one GPU or CPU clocks at that makes it important for console specs?

I'm not as tech-savvy as you guys. I base a lot of my assumptions on impressive tech by the number that follows the GPU series (X600 or whatever) and the amount of RAM; 4GB of DDR3 is said to be future-proof.
    A GHz is merely a unit of measurement for CPUs and now, GPUs, in which it is the number of cycles per second in which said devices operate. A hertz is one cycle , a kilohertz is 1,000 cycles, a megahertz is 1,000,000 cycles and a gigahertz is 1,000,000,000 cycles. The higher the hertz, (also dependent on actual chip architectures) the faster the these chips operate and thus, the more computations they're able to do per second. I'd say, far more important than CPU and GPU clocks is the speed and architecture of the ram when used in conjunction with said chips. It's fine to have 1GHz CPU or GPU and it's fine to have decent ram but if the architectures of each don't compliment each other and the speeds don't match so that these components work well together, then you're left with very inefficient hardware setups for which programmers and other software developers have to work with.

Personally, I think we need less ram but at higher clock rates to match chips on the frequency rates in which the chips operate and we need different ram and/or chip architectures so that the flow of information between ram and chips is more efficient. Of course once this is done, software developers can then work on being efficient with said hardware to provide for better experiences for the end user.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    oh, so this is where it was. was desperately trying to find in which section it was in.

i don't see why people have a hard time believing this. it sounds very possible.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042

I'm not as tech-savvy as you guys. I base a lot of my assumptions on impressive tech by the number that follows the GPU series (X600 or whatever) and the amount of RAM; 4GB of DDR4 is said to be future-proof.
    Fixed
    That will be future proof if they want another 10 year lifecycle. But that will be EXTREMELY expensive for a $400 console so they are probably going with 6-8gb DDR3

21. Likes Itachi wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Specifically the RAM, yes. I just don't see how that could be.

I think the reason it requires so little RAM to run that demo is because it is nothing but a controlled cutscene. Meaning that once anything becomes offscreen, it can be removed from the GPU until it is needed again. A good example inside from the Angi's demo is when they stick the hairy beasts in that cage with some serum. When the camera is up close on the beasts during the serum injection, the detailed hair is rendered, but immediately following that onesmall scene, the beautifully rendered hair becomes missing from then on. It's slide of hand in a sense, and it is one of the reason cutscenes always look better than the actual gameplay.

Items Deadmau5
    really hope Square embraces the PC platform next gen, would be awesome to get a bit more out of their games.

PSU Technical Advisor
    If their games were worth a damn.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by upmagic View Post
    really hope Square embraces the PC platform next gen, would be awesome to get a bit more out of their games.
    Sleeping Dogs was one of the best PC ports this gen. Hopefully SE offers similar port to the PC crowd next gen

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    I think the reason it requires so little RAM to run that demo is because it is nothing but a controlled cutscene. Meaning that once anything becomes offscreen, it can be removed from the GPU until it is needed again. A good example inside from the Angi's demo is when they stick the hairy beasts in that cage with some serum. When the camera is up close on the beasts during the serum injection, the detailed hair is rendered, but immediately following that onesmall scene, the beautifully rendered hair becomes missing from then on. It's slide of hand in a sense, and it is one of the reason cutscenes always look better than the actual gameplay.
    ITs a realtime tech demo.

And anyway thats how game engines work, they often do not render what cannot be seen by the camera/player, no point rendering the whole world if the parts of the world cannot be seen, its wasted memory and processing time. There will be tools to tell the engine what to render and in what circumstances.

This is for Source engine as an example.
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visleaf

besides i think the injection turned the fluffy cuddly thing into a rabid murdersous monster without hair.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Sleeping Dogs was one of the best PC ports this gen. Hopefully SE offers similar port to the PC crowd next gen
    Credit should go to United Front Games for developing it, not their publisher.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Credit should go to United Front Games for developing it, not their publisher.
    I think the credit should go to the publisher for providing enough time and resources to the devs to complete a GOOD port. SE could have easily rushed them and saved much money and time

Do you think that all studios can't put such dx11 and high res textures in all PC ports? Its always the pressure from publishers. well maybe not always, but generally speaking
    Last edited by Itachi; 01-06-2013 at 20:38.

Thread Information