Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Do you think people will remember Halo?

Well, this might be an odd question to ask but given Halo's huge marketing campaigns, movie-like scores and easily-recognizable main character, do you believe Halo will be remembered as fondly as the Mario franchise?

I mean, if you compare a poorly-aged, by-the-numbers title like Black Ops 2 to a revitalized title [in the Halo series] like Halo 4, couldn't you say Microsoft has the more successful, long-lasting IP?

I just remember how gaming journalists would throw the Halo-killer buzzword around but it didn't really hit me until now. There are so few gaming franchises nowadays that you can say are as big as Nintendo's Mario or Zelda. You still have people who dislike Halo, sure. I'm not a big fan of it myself but I think I can still admire how large it's become (thanks in part to Xbox Live).

What do you guys think? Or is it too early to tell?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 12-02-2012 at 20:48.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

Veteran
    I'm not familiar much with playing the Halo games outside of the rare online multiplayer nights with friends. But as someone from the outside looking in, it seems to be too early to tell. Mario is still leaps and bounds more recognizable at the moment; not to mention I suppose Mario still has games, too, that revitalize the franchise to some extent, given the reception of Sunshine, recent Mario Karts, and SMG.

Everyone who knows Halo certainly knows Mario since most of them would have grown up with him and some of that segment still keep up with the games now. People who don't know video games will often know of Mario, but whether they know Halo or not seems more questionable (my sister had no idea what it was, for instance, but knew Mario since she was a kid). Being both an enduring video game icon and childhood treasure (either directly or indirectly) at the same time gives the Mario IP bigger recognition among a wider variety of people. Halo is niche in comparison.

If Halo gets a movie...I still wouldn't know if it would make it any more of a household name than Mario. Seems kind of weird to say, but seems about right, IMO.
    Last edited by Bio; 12-02-2012 at 21:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    absolutely! hopefully the fanchise doesnt go down the road of the Sonic franchise

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Halo will be a gaming staple in the next two decades. Yes.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    whats a halo???

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by djpenny View Post
    whats a halo???

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    It already is, I know so many people that run out to buy anything halo its almost sad lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Definitely too early to tell. With Mario, it's not just a Super Mario game. There's kart, tennis, party, soccer. It spans consoles and handhelds. Not to mention it's a franchise that both kids and adults can play and enjoy. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and people love it. Most people back then grew up with Mario and I would say a lot are growing up with Mario now. People who know nothing about video games still know Mario. I don't think Master Chief has reached that level, yet.

I know I will still remember Halo fondly, but Halo still appeases primarily to a distinct age group. I don't know if it will be the same as a boy who played the original Super Mario Bros who is now playing New Super Mario Bros Wii U with his kid (or any big stretch of time between Mario games).

That said, I doubt Halo is going to end any time soon. They will continue to make quality games and will be the Flagship shooter for Microsoft. It will probably still be known 10-20 years from now.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    I would say no because halo was the first halo game and halo is played by 100sMillons of people and as its the first halo people will never forget
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Can't compare to Super Mario. Nintendo's franchise has been the face of videogames since the dawn of the NES. It's there next to games such as Ping Pong and any other retro Atari classic. The problem is this, there's so many FPS games that have given emphasis to the genre. Back in the day, the only competition that the Mario franchise had was Sonic the Hedgehog. Both games have there similarities and there wasn't any other game that had the same gameplay (not that I'm aware of [Donkey Kong; Nintendo]) which would have made the same impact.

This generation of gaming has been clogged by so many FPS games, CoD with its manipulation to societies has already shadowed the Microsoft face that is Master Chief. Not saying that Halo is all in the past but I bet now its just another FPS game the same way people could say about Super Mario now it's just another Mario game.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Not as much as Doom or Quake.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by robvandam111 View Post
    Can't compare to Super Mario. Nintendo's franchise has been the face of videogames since the dawn of the NES. It's there next to games such as Ping Pong and any other retro Atari classic. The problem is this, there's so many FPS games that have given emphasis to the genre. Back in the day, the only competition that the Mario franchise had was Sonic the Hedgehog. Both games have there similarities and there wasn't any other game that had the same gameplay (not that I'm aware of [Donkey Kong; Nintendo]) which would have made the same impact. This generation of gaming has been clogged by so many FPS games, CoD with its manipulation to societies has already shadowed the Microsoft face that is Master Chief. Not saying that Halo is all in the past but I bet now its just another FPS game the same way people could say about Super Mario now it's just another Mario game.
    I agree with this. As much as I like Halo it does seem like going forward the future Halo games will basically be just another Halo game just like COD games are now just another COD game. Thats why its good to have a variety of titles in your first party lineup. That being said I do feel that 343 has given the Halo series a good shot in the arm and I commend them for that.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Probably. The lore is strong

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Well, this might be an odd question to ask but given Halo's huge marketing campaigns, movie-like scores and easily-recognizable main character, do you believe Halo will be remembered as fondly as the Mario franchise?
    As fondly, maybe. By as many, no. Mario is much bigger in comparison. I think Mario is akin to Pacman.

I mean, if you compare a poorly-aged, by-the-numbers title like Black Ops 2 to a revitalized title [in the Halo series] like Halo 4, couldn't you say Microsoft has the more successful, long-lasting IP?
    Last I saw, Black Ops 2 worldwide is the biggest release to date for COD.

As for COD and Halo an "revitalizing", it's tough to say. Each Call of Duty, while familiar, does get updated graphics, new maps, different campaigns, new weapons, changes to playlists, streaks. Halo 4, while my game of the year, is revitalized...but is it any more revitalized? It's now a 720p game, with a QTE event thrown in the campaign and some spartan ops, and a revised UI. Don't get me wrong, I love the $#@! outta the game, but it's Halo, and it is what the consumers wanted. Just like COD, the recipe is what we asked for.

I have to wonder, would Call of Duty be in the minds more than Halo and then compared to Mario?

I just remember how gaming journalists would throw the Halo-killer buzzword around but it didn't really hit me until now. There are so few gaming franchises nowadays that you can say are as big as Nintendo's Mario or Zelda. You still have people who dislike Halo, sure. I'm not a big fan of it myself but I think I can still admire how large it's become (thanks in part to Xbox Live).

What do you guys think? Or is it too early to tell?
    I think Halo is one of very few games that will register anywhere close to the likes of Mario and Pacman.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Mario will forever be more widely known and recognized than Halo. That particular plumber has been around much longer jumping on turtles, than Master Chief has been killing Covenant. Mario took the gaming world by storm when appeared with the release of the NES, and has been accepted worldwide since.

Even though Halo is GREAT, I see CoD becoming more widely known. Remember it is not just the holiday season that is upon us every year now at this time, it is also the release time for a new CoD.
    Last edited by Justin; 12-03-2012 at 14:34.

8 years and counting!

Soldier 95B
    AND Call of Duty is on Wii, PC, Xbox, PS as well as handhelds and tablets.

Elite Sage
    I think they will. Halo:CE practically reinvented shooters for the console market and if that isn't enough the story and back story of Halo will surely cement it as an all time great IP.

BBK. Tapatalking

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I like the comparison to doom...i agree with that one.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSN ID
    shingi70
    Isn't Halo or Mass Effect the closet things we have to a modern day star trek or star wars. The fiction and Lore in halo is rich and 343 intergrates all of the short films, and novels to build the story.

A lot of the plotline in Halo 4 and Spartan ops are spined off the two current book series.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Soldier 95B
    A Halo movie series would be awesome.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Ask yourself this, Do you remember Pokemon?

PSN ID
    shingi70
    Yes I do and I saw my little cousin playing black and white at thanksgiving.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information