Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Yeah, I'd like to emphasize pushing triangle on stuff like suits, weapons and skills and reading the 'More Info' parts cuz that offers much needed explanations

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post

i know, i was just messin'

its still in beta so the bells and whistles are still getting added.
    pick a race (i think this is more useful for the final build than anything), use the neocom 'L1' to reach every aspect of the game.
    at this point you'll only get starter gear which is infinite, so play a match to learn how the systems work (i go for skirmish, ambush is pretty much team deathmatch). this will also give you some idea of what you would like to play as.
    next, put some sp down toward the skills you'd like to specialize in (again from the neocom). go to the marketplace find the guns and stuff you'd like to buy (you prolly wont be able to buy them yet)
    whilst in the marketplace looking at stuff, you will see that every selected item has a book with a red cross on it, this means you can't equip it. but if you push triangle it will bring a a list which you can cycle through with R2, look for the prerequisites page and this will list the skills you need to equip those loadouts (and the skills that have already met the required level -these will have a green check on them)
    go into a game, dominate. earn isk and sp, put sp into required skills. purchase better stuff, dominate even more
    that's the skinny at least

Edit:
    the UI is a bit daunting. to liken it to something. COD and Battlefield have UI's that are like flashy magazines; easy to just browse through.
    Dust's UI is akin to a Short novel; wherein you must read every word to understand the story.
    Good advice is good! Fijian nailed it. Upon character creation, your choice of class just determines which skills will receive a minor boost so don't worry too much about your choice here.

Start off with the infinite militia gear until you've played and seen a bit and have a better idea of what role you'd like to be. The progression system in DUST is epic...You can choose to be a jack of all trades and a master at none or vise versa. EVERYTHING needs to be trained though. Weapon classes, armor classes, vehicle classes, turrets etc, all must be learned.

I'm personally going to be a logistics class dropship pilot at launch. I like the support class and CCP said logistics class will be easier able to achieve the set up needed for orbital strikes! Oh yeah! And piloting drop ships is a lot of fun, especially the ones that can spawn your team memebers directly inside...

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I decided to go through the skill manually and make a database of them all. Looking at everything, how deep the development is and how much customisation freedom there is, it has meing again haha. I'll give this database out once done. I want to know exactly what skills I will need for my merc and which to prioritise .

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    did Dust get an update?

my matches had some poor performance today. textures LOD missing, textures not knowing if they want to be loaded, bad framerate, dropping connection, broken animations, funky texture streaming etc etc.
    i know beta is rough but i've never had all those at one time before

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I decided to go through the skill manually and make a database of them all. Looking at everything, how deep the development is and how much customisation freedom there is, it has meing again haha. I'll give this database out once done. I want to know exactly what skills I will need for my merc and which to prioritise .
    this is an epic idea!
    it will help newcomers too.
    i had to create a new merc (the one im using now) after screwing around with stuff on my first attempt and creating quite a mess
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Is this thing still in beta phase?

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Is this thing still in beta phase?
    yup

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Ah I wanted to download it to try it out.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    did Dust get an update?

my matches had some poor performance today. textures LOD missing, textures not knowing if they want to be loaded, bad framerate, dropping connection, broken animations, funky texture streaming etc etc.
    i know beta is rough but i've never had all those at one time before

this is an epic idea!
    it will help newcomers too.
    i had to create a new merc (the one im using now) after screwing around with stuff on my first attempt and creating quite a mess
    Not that I know of :S That's quite a funky cluster$#@! of issues haha.

Well, I have it, a list of all the available skills, what they enable and/or their passive effect + the requirements. Beta testers can send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

About 101 different skill attributes to level up, and this is just what's available at beta...
    Last edited by Ghost; 12-16-2012 at 17:06.

9. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Money

ISK is the primary currency in the EVE Universe and a necessity for fighting wars. You will earn ISK from each battle you fight. The size of the reward depends on your contribution and the cost of the battle. Those who contribute more are rewarded handsomely, but all mercs are guaranteed a solid income.

A portion of the reward pool for each battle depends on the value of items destroyed in the battle. If the battle saw countless vehicles and expensive prototype gear destroyed, everyone is in for bigger rewards. ISK rewards are calculated as follows for each participant:

Base rewards: Every mercenary receives basic compensation for each battle they fight. The size of the reward depends on the time you spent fighting, so joining a battle late will net you lower earnings. Value of objects destroyed in battle has no bearing on this part of the reward.

Team rewards: The total rewards calculated from the value destroyed are split between the participating teams, with the winning team earning a larger share. Then, each participant earns a cut of the total rewards that their team received based on the time they spent in the battle. If you’re late to the party, you’ll earn a smaller cut.

Individual rewards: Finally, every participant receives a reward based on their individual contribution on the battlefield. Mercs earn war points based on their actions in the course of each battle, and the more war points you score, the higher your cut of the total payout.
    Having a solid income is necessary, as you will be using the ISK you earn to buy upgrades, and to resupply any gear you lose during combat. Everything you take into battle in DUST 514 can get destroyed. Luckily, most items are in ready supply should you have the cash.
    Joining a player-run corporation might make your life more comfortable and earn you reliable funding, but you will have to rely on your personal earnings until you find a corporation to take you in.

Skill points

Aside from fattening up your wallet, every battle helps improve your clone through Skill Points. At the end of each battle, the war points you earned will be totaled and converted to SP. The better you perform, the higher the number of skill points you will receive.
    Currently, skill points gained in battle have diminishing returns, meaning that if you play a lot in the course of a week, you will earn fewer points towards the end. These diminishing returns currently reset every at downtime on Tuesdays. This is temporary, and we are working on a more flexible iteration of the skill system that will not hinder dedicated players or be exploitable by players looking for easy SP.

Salvage

Salvage is your final reward for battles fought. How you currently receive salvage is straightforward: Everyone who participates in a battle receives an equal opportunity to receive items from a single master loot table, regardless of their performance. This system is temporary, and serves as a stepping stone towards final implementation, which should prove far more robust and enjoyable.
    Once complete, the full system will allow players to influence the quality and quantity of the salvage they receive. Play in a battle with more players and more destruction, and there will more to salvage, and victory earns you the lion’s share of the spoils. Equip modules that assist you in finding better salvage, and you will become much more likely to receive higher quality items, such as the rare Officer-tier weapons. Quality and type of salvage will also potentially differ based upon the planet you fight on, with rare gear most likely found on nullsec planets.

From the US PSblog.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Not that I know of :S That's quite a funky cluster$#@! of issues haha.
    indeed it was...haven't been on today, might be on tomorrow. i'll see if its running like its old self....must've been poor luck on my part to chance upon that many issues. no doubt it was just a freak day then.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Guru
    I would like to join please! However, I won't be regularly playing for a few weeks due to exams and I currently don't have my ps3. I will do my best to join when i can

PSU Ghost Syndicate Corporation | Merc: Dorada Aquila | DUST PSN: smurf1191
    My first PSU article!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Should our corporation name be more visibly associated to PlayStation Universe? Although we have the initials in the name, to most, PSU could be anything.

Anyone have any suggestions for a name that includes "PlayStation Universe"?

I mean, PlayStation Universe Mercenary Corp. is an example, albeit quite generic, but i think including the site's band and something wacky wouldn't gel as well I don't think.

Or is it OK as is?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    its ok as it is for me. Its original and has its own flavour

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i like it as it is

its relevant to the dust universe but also relevant to our beloved forums

plus, a google search for our squad name brings them here
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Cool thanks guys! The OK from the other 2 founding members is all I needed! The name stays!

Really wish the game would go open beta already so we could start our proper careers. :S

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    same, even with a finer focus with my merc, im still spreading it too thin trying out as much as i can

i can't wait to be this guy
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    same, even with a finer focus with my merc, im still spreading it too thin trying out as much as i can

i can't wait to be this guy
    Haha I pretty much know my plan of attack at release, and it's pretty much what's stated in my guide; work on the core first. I'm going to be a logistics pilot so once I have my core stats down I will start on my dropship career.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Really getting into the mass driver. In fact I LOVE it! It perfectly suits the logibro role . It is also a weapon of skill because you have to judge the trajectory. I think it's a great support weapon, especially if you throw down a nanohive; you practically become a mobile mortar unit. It's a great coverfire weapon and seems to spread more fear than other weapons.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    haven't had a game in what seems like an age!

will definitely get back into the swing of things soon!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    haven't had a game in what seems like an age!

will definitely get back into the swing of things soon!
    Same man. Don't Starve, Saints Row 3, Minecraft and Sleeping Dogs are taking all my time

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Same man. Don't Starve, Saints Row 3, Minecraft and Sleeping Dogs are taking all my time
    i've been drunk

woke up in a few strange places this year. i'd like to thank every good samaritan who didn't steal my wallet and phone
    also, for not stealing my kidneys -.-

quite a good send off to 2012 if i do say so myself
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Word on the beta forums is that open beta COULD be a few days away. CCP recently added $#@!loads of hardware to its setup. If this is true, then I will begin my coverage of DUST which will include trying to pimp the clan (I haven't yet, I just wanted to make it).

Also, CCP keep the community updated about what it talks about in its meetings and what is going to be implemented in the future. Can see it HERE. It's cool to see some of the things that are coming, especially badass is something coming to the weapons system (go to the link to find out what...NDA :S)

Also, thanks to Mr Fijian and Mr Itachi for being around. If things go well for this community project I will make sure your founding status is rewarded.

Also - CCP, creators of EVE Online and DUST 514, have invited (and are paying for) me to go to Iceland from the 16th-18th of this month for a special press event. If anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask, let me know!
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-06-2013 at 12:14.

24. Likes Fijiandoce, holly likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Also - CCP, creators of EVE Online and DUST 514, have invited (and are paying for) me to go to Iceland from the 16th-18th of this month for a special press event. If anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask, let me know!
    Niiceee!
    I don't really have any particular questions though

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    All good! Check out that forum link when you have time, worth keeping an eye on cause they update on a regular basis after team meetings.

You two have been promoted to Director in the corporation. It's basically a mod role. You have access to the wallet (to one day dish out funds to mercs) and can boot members, yurrr!

When the beta goes open, I will start doing a lot of coverage on the front page, as well as publishing that guide that I've started. With the game being free, and PSU offering a good source of info, news and a clan I am confident that we will attract some interest.

If it's too hardcore/niche for the community...Those who wan't to carry on can form a tightknit squad/s with me and we will migrate. However, I think there is the potential for a decent DUST community here.

The fact that it'll jump to PS4 is great because it is really something that will be a persistent part of Sony's network moving forward.

27. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    well i must thank you ghost. if not for you, i never would've gotten around to downloading this. your coverage has been PHENOMENAL, especially given the NDA

thank you for the promotion too. i will endeavour to do well

about those questions though.
    i came up with a list, but i've forgotten them again

the one that is at the top of my mind all the time though is quite a difficult one.
    it relates to their use of the unreal engine. and why they chose it over other, more established, online engines. (because, you know, i hate the Unreal Engine )

as an extension.
    how do they find working with the Unreal Engine on the PS3 (which usually has poor performance using this engine)

will definitely update with some questions as i remember them

p.s, im out of likes - again - i will like the posts when i can
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

29. Likes Ghost likes this post

Thread Information