View Poll Results: What is your rating for this film?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll

4 17.39%

9 39.13%

6 26.09%

3 13.04%

1 4.35%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    From what I've heard thus far, HFR is an acquired taste.
    After reading most of the reviews, I'd say this is how the critical reception to HFR has been going:

40% - Mixed

40% - Negative

20% - Positive

It'll be interesting to see how the general public responds. Peter Jackson said that younger viewers are enjoying it a lot more than older viewers.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Here's a conversation with all the context:

I have to admit, having now seen it, I never fully got used to it. How long does it take to get used to it?
    I think that depends on each person. I mean, I'm well used to it now.

You've seen hundreds of hours of it.

Yeah. You know, I'm used to it to the point that yesterday I was in a lab in Los Angeles, before I came over here. It was first thing in the morning, I went to a lab to look at some reels that were being printed. And the first one I looked at was 48 frames and it looked fine. Great. The second one that they played me was the 24 frames and I didn't like it at all.

Really? So you're at the point now where you don't like watching 24 frames?

I just noticed the strobing. But, it is an acquired taste. And the one thing is that it's not the look of film. I mean, we all grow up with 24 frames. But it's neither a good thing or a bad thing -- it is different. And it's interesting the response, but I'm obviously fascinated by people's reactions to it. And, you know, there's going to be the cinephiles that are going to hate it, obviously. There are going to be people that are a bit like you, probably, one way or the other.

I'm fascinated by the technology aspect. But I'd like to see the movie again without it to compare.

But you talk to anyone under the age of 20, they don't give a $#@!. They don't care about 24 frames. They don't care about the look of cinema. Kids, I mean, most of the kids that I speak to -- anywhere from 8 years old and up through teenagers; because I've been talking to a lot of them who have seen "The Hobbit" -- all they say is that the 3D looks fantastic. They don't actually understand that some of that is the 48 frames. They don't get the difference. I guess they're not used to the difference between the two. But, the 48 doesn't hurt the 3D. Actually, the 48 makes it easier to watch and it'salmost like at 24 frames, 3D didn't really quite reach its potential. Because of the strobing and the fact that each eye is getting a different strobe. But, you go to 48, and suddenly it feels like the two are made for each other. It almost feels like that completes that technical puzzle.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    That's not 120 FPS. That's 120 Hertz. It's completely different.
    I know, I mixed it up again.

Regardless though, the effect is the same. A 120 Hertz TV repeats each frame of a typical 24 fps movie around 5 times within 1 second while an ordinary 60 Hertz refresh rate only repeats it 2.x times. And that's why the former causes the soap opera effect that is completely unnatural as far as cinematic movies go.

And The Hobbit's 48fps basically goes in a similar direction because that's exactly twice as many frames as with conventional movies. So you would have a similar experience even without high Hertz displays.
    Last edited by Wrath; 12-11-2012 at 09:39.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post

Still, hate the 3d gimmick these days and avoid it when I can.
    Same here, Avatar was a good 3D experience but would rather stick with 2D. I have found that some releases are strictly 3D now with the 2D releasing later if at all.

Tap-a-hoe

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I know, I mixed it up again.

Regardless though, the effect is the same. A 120 Hertz TV repeats each frame of a typical 24 fps movie around 5 times within 1 second while an ordinary 60 Hertz refresh rate only repeats it 2.x times. And that's why the former causes the soap opera effect that is completely unnatural as far as cinematic movies go.

And The Hobbit's 48fps basically goes in a similar direction because that's exactly twice as many frames as with conventional movies. So you would have a similar experience even without high Hertz displays.
    The difference is that HFR actually fills in those refreshes with new images, whereas high Hertz just makes your TV refresh the same frame a number of times.

I'm sure there will be some similarities, but HFR will also be much more impressive and make more sense than high Hertz.
    Last edited by Ixion; 12-11-2012 at 14:22.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    The difference is that HFR actually fills in those refreshes with new images, whereas high Hertz just makes your TV refresh the same frame a number of times.

I'm sure there will be some similarities, but HFR will also be much more impressive and make more sense than high Hertz.
    Of course, more frames are always better than more Hertz so we will just have to wait and see how it looks.

PSU Editor, Writer, Idolmaster
    PSN ID
    LazerBlader
    Tonight I attended an high frame rate (HFR) 3D advance screening of The Hobbit. Solid but very familiar. It lacks the urgency, scale, and progression of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Visual effects are some of the best out there but really felt more like a refinement of what was done before. The controversial 48 frames per second format did not bother me as much as I anticipated but I am not in love with it. I will say that it helped make the 3D really crisp, as Peter Jackson has argued. It did make some shots feel "fake" and overall the look reminded me of a BBC movie or TV show. This is one of the few films I will recommend seeing the 3D version of because otherwise you might just be bored honestly if you aren't a hardcore fan. Overall, lacked the fresh impact of the LOTR trilogy.

SCORE: 7.5 out of 10

PlayStation Universe Editor & Writer
    411Mania.com Film Critic
    私は日本語が話せます。
    Follow me on Twitter @ErnstyLin

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I see a lot of these comparisons to LOTR...I wonder if it's an unfair comparison. Often the latter's glory is tarnished by the standard of the former...LOTR was much more of an epic tale than The Hobbit.

PSN ID
    LazerBlader
    That is true. But it isn't even necessarily the story so much as that it feels too familiar. Like a lot of "already seen this before" even if it still looks great and is more polished than before. It's akin to how I felt about BioShock 2.

It does have issues with pacing and certainly seems drawn out for the sake of filling time. It's my opinion that 3 films, each being close 3 hours probably, is kind-of a stretch for The Hobbit.

411Mania.com Film Critic
    私は日本語が話せます。

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I just booked my ticket to the very first screening in standard 3D at my local cinema back home tomorrow afternoon. I'm flying home for Christmas this evening. If there's one good thing about living in a small town its not really having to worry about booking cinema tickets far in advance and the seating is first come first serve..might just go an hour early to get the best seat center/back.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Looking forward to seeing it at some point!
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I agree that two long films would have probably been the best choice.

But I'll have to judge for myself this weekend.

13. Likes Ernsty likes this post
    ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Two more friggin' days.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Two more friggin' days.
    My tickets are for Monday, so I have to wait five days. :'(

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I just finished watching a midnight screening

Simply magnificent.

I will not compare this to the LOTR, it is simply different.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    My tickets are for Monday, so I have to wait five days. :'(
    That sucks, bro. :/

Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    I just finished watching a midnight screening

Simply magnificent.

I will not compare this to the LOTR, it is simply different.
    Good to know. :P
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Just got back from the cinema, $#@!ing loved it!
    It was funny, action packed and just nice to be back in Middle-Earth. I thoroughly enjoyed all of it. Sucks that the next two aren't out for the next two years though

I watched in normal frame rate and not 3D, still absolutely stunning to look at. Only thing I didn't like was the amount of CGI, I think having real life actors in heavy make up and using CGI for falling off cliffs etc... like the LOTR works better.

Can't wait for Smaug!!

Click HERE for my Videos

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Just saw it earlier, thought it was pretty good...something was missing though. The best part was definitely the Gollum scenes. Worst Bit was probably Saruman's cameo..just felt forced.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Trophy-licious!

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    This movie got my interested, i might go to the cinema with my friend to watch this movie.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Just saw it earlier, thought it was pretty good...something was missing though. The best part was definitely the Gollum scenes. Worst Bit was probably Saruman's cameo..just felt forced.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    I haven't seen the movie obviously, so I don't know how well executed the scene was, but Saruman is supposed to be there. He's part of the The White Council.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I just added a poll where you can rate the movie out of 10.

Here are the scores from all the members who provided ratings:

Last edited by Ixion; 01-02-2013 at 23:08.

PSN ID
    LazerBlader
    My higher-ups at 411mania.com asked me to write a full review of the film since apparently I was the only one on staff that caught an advance screening. Feel free to check it out here. Glad to hear that people are enjoying the movie at least.

411Mania.com Film Critic
    私は日本語が話せます。

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    I haven't seen the movie obviously, so I don't know how well executed the scene was, but Saruman is supposed to be there. He's part of the The White Council.
    Was he? Its been years since I read The Hobbit..I only really remember the main parts of it like the beginning, meeting Gollum in the cave and the end.

EDIT: I gave it a 7..really wanted to give it an 8, but its just not quite there. About a 7.8 or 7.9.
    Last edited by Dave-The-Rave; 12-14-2012 at 10:31.
    Trophy-licious!

25. Likes Ernsty likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Was he? Its been years since I read The Hobbit..I only really remember the main parts of it like the beginning, meeting Gollum in the cave and the end.

EDIT: I gave it a 7..really wanted to give it an 8, but its just not quite there. About a 7.8 or 7.9.
    If it's a 7.9, then isn't that closer to an 8? lol

But as for Saruman (and Galadriel), no they're not in The Hobbit, but the meeting you see does occur at that time. It's just not mentioned in The Hobbit, because Tolkien only focused on Bilbo's story.

There's a very big sub-plot that Gandalf and The White Council were working on during the time of The Hobbit, which is why Gandalf always left the group and came back. Peter Jackson decided to include that sub-plot in these movies.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I won't be seeing this until I fly back home. Earliest being Christmas day but probably after that.

Thread Information