Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Potential buyout for Insomniac. Fate all rests on Fuse

Sony and Insomniac. Two companies with a long storied history of ventures together. Originally, Insomniac was one of the developers for the long defunct 3DO platform. However, once the 3DO fizzled out, they moved onto the new up and coming (at the time) system, the Playstation. And thus, the union began. Ever since their first game for the system, Disruptor, Insomniac has had continued success within the Playstation family of systems. Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance were all franchises they've created and these franchises assisted heavily into the growth of the Playstation brand. However, even with their great business relationship, Insomniac has always managed to remain independent, time and again turning down any potential buyouts by Sony.

Last year, Insomniac had announced that they would be going multiplatform. Around the same time, they have made a formal statement saying they would not continue on with the Resistance franchise. This marks the first time since the company's birth that they would work on systems outside of the Playstation brand. At which time, they've joined into the EA partners program and have started development on their first multiplaform game, Fuse, formerly known as Overstrike.

In the beginning, Insomniac's future seemed secure. They now had a second source of income due to being multiplatform. They still had their ties to Sony as they continued with the Ratchet and Clank franchise. And lastly, they still managed to be an independent company.

However FUSE had undergone a radical change in art and gameplay direction over the course of time. And this change had given off very mixed reactions. So mixed that you'd have to wonder if EA had something to do with this change. The freedom that Sony had always given Insomniac simply may not be there with EA. And EA does have a track record of forcing their developers into doing things they originally didn't want to do. So why would Insomniac be an exception to that now that they're in the EA partner program?

Along with the cause of concern come comments from Insomniac's own Ted Price. Originally, he said his company was done with the Resistance series. However, around the same time the success of FUSE became questionable, He made a statement saying his company can very well go back to making the Resistance series.

Ted's Statement: www.psu.com/a016781/Ted-Price-hints-that-Insomniac-could-return-to-Resistance

Then there is the more recent statement from a representative of the company stating that they have no intention of halting the development of Ratchet & Clank games.

So now, their future can very well depend on how much of a success FUSE is. If it's a success, they will more than likely stay a multiplatform company. If not, these statements they've made very recently tells us they have no issues with going right back to working on their Sony owned franchises.

Either way, something may have to happen soon. Because with the next generation looming and development costs rising, if FUSE isn't a hit, Insomniac might have to finally give into Sony's buyout propositions.

FUSE may possible decide the company's fate.
    Source

TBH I don't think Sony should acquire IG anyway, their games aren't selling as well as they were 10/15 years ago, they need a new platformer IP and put R&C to rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

2. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yeah, sales haven't been stellar...

Still, IG and QD would finish off Sony's WWS Juggernaut.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Interesting. I think it'd be good for Sony to 'lock them up' ; but you're right about IG's sales.

However, if they can continue to make exclusives for Sony whilst being independent, then why acquire them (unless it fits into Sony's restructuring plan).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Poster
    I'd say go for it. IG is a quality developer and as this gen has proven you cant always rely on 3rd parties to show off the strengths of your system. The one thing that kept the PS3 afloat when all of the former exclusive franchise went multi was Sony's awesome first party contributors. Also being owned by Sony may enable them to more funding and as a result a little more creative freedom. $#@! EA though. I hate hearing people having their creativity shafted for no good reason. The only time i agreed with a publisher taking control of a project was LA Noire and we can all agree the development lf that project was sketchy
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Ultimate Veteran
    The fact that Insomniac/Activision hid every one of the character's faces on the boxart for Fuse goes to show how little confidence they have in their new IP; that you're not going to connect with any of them.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Still, IG and QD would finish off Sony's WWS Juggernaut.
    QD would be a much better studio to buy but IG, probably not. Level 5 or From Software would be a much better move, having a JRPG developer under their belt would give them a massive advantage over the competition.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    QD would be a wiser purchase for Sony than IG.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    FUSE won't do well. And this article is spot on exactly what I've been thinking... FUSE changed from looking awesome to generic because of EA.

If Sony has to buy Insomniac, they will be better for it.

In terms of returning to Resistance... I think its too hard to say if that actually means anything. Insomniac stopped working on Spyro too. Just because they stop working on a franchise doesn't mean its dead forever or that its failed them. Nothing wrong with wanting to make NEW franchises.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Spyro was down to Sony selling the rights to Universal though, it was out of IG's hands. They probably wouldve continued Spyro had Sony not done that which I personally wouldve preferred over R&C.

Master Guru
    I'd lock up Insomniac in a heart beat if i was Sony. They're such a talented studio. I couldn't give two $#@!s if their games don't sell like Halo and Call of Duty.

Ratchet and Resistance are awesome. Give me more on the PS4.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    It would be great if Sony, could just buy them.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    I don't trust their quality very much anymore.

Though I'm sure Sony would still consider them a valuable addition to their worldwide studios.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    I don't trust their quality very much anymore.

Though I'm sure Sony would still consider them a valuable addition to their worldwide studios.
    Their quality has been fine. The last Resistance game and the R&C's have all been solid, they just aren't blockbusters in sales and there just aren't what today gamers are focused on. The whole landscape of gaming shifts as the generations tick on. R&C, although still badass, is last gens creation. Resistance shot itself in the nuts by trying to go all CoD in 2, and while R3 was an awesome and beautiful game (loved the arts style, setting etc), many had already moved on in what is an FPS drenched market. IG are just making games that aren't so relevant anymore. Quality is great!

Sony should buy the creators of Demon's Souls, was it From Software?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Their quality has been fine. The last Resistance game and the R&C's have all been solid, they just aren't blockbusters in sales and there just aren't what today gamers are focused on. The whole landscape of gaming shifts as the generations tick on. R&C, although still badass, is last gens creation. Resistance shot itself in the nuts by trying to go all CoD in 2, and while R3 was an awesome and beautiful game (loved the arts style, setting etc), many had already moved on in what is an FPS drenched market. IG are just making games that aren't so relevant anymore. Quality is great!
    Yeah the Resistance series has alot of potential imo. R2 and R3 were a mixed bag but still had alot of OMG moments but sadly mixed with what is this? elements as well. The graphics and art style were nice. R3 addressed alot of the issues I had with R2 so the series was moving forward to me.I thought the online was pretty fun too. But for some reason it just got lost in the sea of shooters. Sony didnt market that game either.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Sony can't buy anything now a days with junk credit

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Not entirely true^

Also, if Insomniac is piling a lot of hope on Fuse then I feel for them. The game most likely won't do well, especially considering what it's going up against during it's launch window.

If Sony wanted to add IG to their WWS they would have done so by now

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Not entirely true^

Also, if Insomniac is piling a lot of hope on Fuse then I feel for them. The game most likely won't do well, especially considering what it's going up against during it's launch window.

If Sony wanted to add IG to their WWS they would have done so by now
    Not if IG weren't keen...That could change.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingraysito View Post
    Sony should buy the creators of Demon's Souls, was it From Software?
    Yes and they absolutely should do so.

Dedicated Member
    IG is a talented group and would be a great addition to Sony's First party, especially since the closure of Zipper, Sony only has 1 fps developer (Guerrilla Games), plus IG are very versatile as demonstrated when they made the awesome launch title Resistance. They can do platformers like no other (arguably the best platformer games in the business came from Insomniac) and have a great relationship with Playstation. It's been a long time coming, and if IG is ever in danger of bankruptcy or even worse; oblivion, Sony should acquire them.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    BRRPPPPPPPPPPPPP
    sony should buy them as we will be getting awesome exclusives and new ips
    Jamie Colliver,London, UK, Final Fantasy VII LittleBigPlanet 2 Remake Creator

Thread Information