Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

PS3 Mass Effect sees 'huge gains in performance'

The PlayStation 3 version of the original Mass Effect has benefited from a number of enhancements over its Xbox 360 counterpart, BioWare has revealed.

Speaking on the PlayStation Bog, Ryan Warden, the external producer on the Mass Effect Trilogy, revealed that the partnership with Edge of Reality has brought about numerous tweaks such as enhanced audio, lighting and visual effects.

“We partnered with Edge of Reality, an external team with whom we've worked on many previous projects," said Warden. "Edge of Reality has a deep understanding of how PS3 works, under the hood, so we thought the project would be a perfect fit. We had a huge head start because of the work we had done with Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 for PS3, but we still wanted to maintain the look and feel – the classic experience – of the original Mass Effect.”

"We tinkered with the audio engine, and with the way that memory was allocated to various chunks of the game. We brought over some lighting and visual effects improvements from Mass Effect 2 and 3, and combined them with the original Mass Effect systems. In essence, we invited the Wu Tang Clan to a rap battle… and it paid off.”

Warden said that the improvements haven’t compromised the game’s classic look and feel, and players can import their Shepard from the game over to ME2 and 3.

"We got some huge gains in performance – especially with regard to texture popping, which has been dramatically improved – yet we were still able to maintain the classic look and feel of the introduction to the Mass Effect universe."

"I'm really proud of the work that the team has done to bring Mass Effect Trilogy to the PS3, and I can't wait for you to play through the whole series. I hope you enjoy it!" he said.

The Mass Effect Trilogy is released for PS3 tomorrow.
    PSU.

I was hoping this would happen. Looking forward to the whole experience.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    yeah the texture popping on the 360 version was pretty annoying. I didn't install the game so maybe that helped it.

Regardless, good to hear and the first one is a fantastic game that is way better than the 3rd imo. So if any PS3 owners have played 2 or 3 or if you haven't got into the series yet. No excuse ><

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Lol!

http://gamingeverything.com/34652/ma...e-rate-issues/

I dunno what to believe no more!! Anyway, i never liked the game.

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Lol!

http://gamingeverything.com/34652/ma...e-rate-issues/

I dunno what to believe no more!! Anyway, i never liked the game.
    Interesting.. top comment on that article is:

Maybe I had been playing the wrong version then since my PS3 ME1 is running great with smooth framerates and excellent textures quality.
    Not only that, I'm able to switch from R2 and L2 controls to traditional PS3 L1 and R1 for aiming and shooting.

This isn't a simple port, Edge of Reality did a fantastic job bringing the game to PS3. it runs and looks fantastic...
    Very unprofessional article that is aiming for nothing more then hits... gaming journalism at its finest..

So maybe IGN's Colin just has an early code or something? Who knows..

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I'll wait for digital foundry's report and Colin's review

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I'll wait for digital foundry's report and Colin's review
    i'll second this.

no doubt those "gains" will only put it about equal with the 360 version. Most Unreal powered games perform significantly worse on PS3
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I'll just wait for Digital Foundry before I believe anything either way.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    it runs very smoothly on ps3 for me, frame rate seems stable, had a few issues in citadel, the pop in is pretty much gone only happened twice so far and im at 10hrs gameplay.

Thank you itachi

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    it runs very smoothly on ps3 for me, frame rate seems stable, had a few issues in citadel, the pop in is pretty much gone only happened twice so far and im at 10hrs gameplay.
    Sounds good to me.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    I wonder how the import thing works, since I assume that ME2 was not really built with the assumption that you will be able to import your character from ME1 simply because when ME2 launched, ME1 did not exist on PS3 and I am not sure if it was even in the planning stage.
    Unless they patched it in. But then again, they would probably have to patch in some of the things that were based on what you did in ME1(I mean things other than the choices you can make in the comic at the start of ME2), and somehow I doubt they did that.
    Could be wrong though.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I've never been into the series but am tempted to get this trilogy now. Should I treat myself?

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    In essence, we invited the Wu Tang Clan to a rap battle… and it paid off.
    That is so badass. Quote of the month!

But, I have both Mass Effect 2 and 3, will they sell one separately in stores, or is that separately digital, which I hate.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I've never been into the series but am tempted to get this trilogy now. Should I treat myself?
    This is the best chance to jump in. I've only played ME2 so I'm thinking of getting it myself.
    Start over from the beginning

Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post

But, I have both Mass Effect 2 and 3, will they sell one separately in stores, or is that separately digital, which I hate.
    the first one is only sold seperately as a digital download

Thank you itachi

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    That is so badass. Quote of the month! But, I have both Mass Effect 2 and 3, will they sell one separately in stores, or is that separately digital, which I hate.
    I wish they would sell it separately whether it be digitally or retail. I'm in the middle of replaying ME3 and then I'm going to get the new DLC for it.

Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I wish they would sell it separately whether it be digitally or retail. I'm in the middle of replaying ME3 and then I'm going to get the new DLC for it.
    Mass effect 1 is on the store separately its $14.99 or £11.99 both retail and download come with bringing down the sky dlc, though due to issues with source code, PS3 wont be getting pinnacle station

Thank you itachi

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Mass effect 1 is on the store separately its $14.99 or £11.99 both retail and download come with bringing down the sky dlc, though due to issues with source code, PS3 wont be getting pinnacle station
    I just looked on the American store but could only retrieve both Mass Effect 2 & 3. Whereabouts is Mass Effect 1?

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I saw ME1 on the store front for £11.99. UK account here

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    I just looked on the American store but could only retrieve both Mass Effect 2 & 3. Whereabouts is Mass Effect 1?
    probably on tuesday when it updates

20. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Dat Guy
    have you tried using the search? had to do it that way to find it on EU

Thank you itachi

22. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Apprentice
    I went to buy a game two days ago. I had to choose between Far Cry 3 and the Mass Effect Trilogy. I decided to buy the ME Trilogy, since it's three games for 70 Euros, and Far Cry 3 is one game for 60 Euros and will probably drop in price in a few months.

I'm on the first planet after the Citadel (did all the sidequests so far - should I?) and I'm 10 hours into the game. It's ridiculous... The most "action-packed" level was the prologue! Is this game going to kick into high gear sometime now? I'm on this planet with this guy "Annoleus" or however his name's spelled, and I just downloaded whatever from that turian's computer.

Please tell me: Are ME2 and ME3 more action-packed than ME1? It's too much RPG for me if I'm completely honest. I'm not $#@!ing in any way, I'm just saying that so far, I'm sure that 10 hours of Far Cry 3 would've been a LOT more fun than these 10 hours of ME1. But I will push through this game, even if it sucks (I don't know yet, but I'll see if it does), because ME2 and especially ME3 were said to be phenomenal games, and ME3 even made it onto the GOTY nomanies list right ontop with AC3 (I'm a huge AC fan, so if ME3 is a serious "threat" to AC3 in terms of GOTY then the series just HAS to be good).

Will ME1 ever step up the action?

Do I have to download any DLC for this trilogy (PS3)? I read somewhere that it includes all the DLC, but I didn't have to download ANYTHING so far and I didn't put in the ME2 and ME3 disc yet. I'll finish ME1 first. But I want all the extra story stuff I can get, because people seemed to $#@! about ME3's ending and I read that an alternate ending was released as DLC (WTF?!), so I'm a little confused ATM...

Dude, so many games to buy and play! Next game's I'm going to buy are DMC (the reboot) and Far Cry 3 I think. But right now I have to blast through the ME trilogy and ALL the Metal Gear Solid titles (MGS1 from PSN, MGS HD collection which includes MGS2, MGS3 and MGS PW, and MGS4) to prepare for MGR Revengeance and MGSGZ and MGS5.

Oh by the way, sorry for all the offtopic ^^

ME1 runs at a decent framerate on my PS3. There ARE hickups here and there, but nothing that's gamebreaking or taking you out of the experience. The texture-loading only appeared to me when I used fast travel or when the game loaded a new level. That's all. Happens in most of the AC games too and nobody complains, so who cares. I wanted to get into the ME series finally and this trilogy gives me the chance to start all over at the beginning. I wouldn't mind if it ran at a worse framerate and lower textures than on the Xbox360, because I just want to know the story, play the game and NOT buy an extra Xbox360 just for one game. LOL

So all I can say to the people who aren't sure wheter to buy it or not: Buy it, or buy a 360+ME1 (people who have one/two of the sequels but want to play the original one). The graphics are OK, the mood is nice, the music can suck at times (cliché "peep peep" and synthesizer crap that I can't stand - but it's not always like that), but it's a HUUUGE game. Man I can't even believe how many work must've gone into this game. Not only does the dialogue depend on the choices you make on the dialogue circle, but also on the squad members you chose! I mean even if it's alwas the same sentences that the squad members say, EVERY SINGLE voice actor has to do voice overs for every possible line in the game. And I noticed that your buddies will talk to one another, for example in elevators. They are from different species and races, so they talk about that, AND it fits into the story! I can't believe it. There's got to be dozens and dozens of dialog possibilities in the elevators alone - just for your squad members! This is crazy. Seriously, it's crazy. Then there's voice over for every codex entry... man the production value was very high for this game. I appreciate that. Maybe I'll get into it when I'm about 20 hours into the game. So far, ME1 hasn't been that much fun. But it has imressed me with the sheer amount of content.

BTW: Can you still design your own Commander Shepard in ME2 and ME3? I went with the standard model, cause he's on the cover and looks the best. I want my protagonist to be recognizable, not some individual ugly dude or woman who nobody recognizes. I like to customize my character though with armor and all that stuff, but the character itself should looks the same.

Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MBS D@v!d View Post
    I went to buy a game two days ago. I had to choose between Far Cry 3 and the Mass Effect Trilogy. I decided to buy the ME Trilogy, since it's three games for 70 Euros, and Far Cry 3 is one game for 60 Euros and will probably drop in price in a few months.

I'm on the first planet after the Citadel (did all the sidequests so far - should I?) and I'm 10 hours into the game. It's ridiculous... The most "action-packed" level was the prologue! Is this game going to kick into high gear sometime now? I'm on this planet with this guy "Annoleus" or however his name's spelled, and I just downloaded whatever from that turian's computer.

Please tell me: Are ME2 and ME3 more action-packed than ME1? It's too much RPG for me if I'm completely honest. I'm not $#@!ing in any way, I'm just saying that so far, I'm sure that 10 hours of Far Cry 3 would've been a LOT more fun than these 10 hours of ME1. But I will push through this game, even if it sucks (I don't know yet, but I'll see if it does), because ME2 and especially ME3 were said to be phenomenal games, and ME3 even made it onto the GOTY nomanies list right ontop with AC3 (I'm a huge AC fan, so if ME3 is a serious "threat" to AC3 in terms of GOTY then the series just HAS to be good).

Will ME1 ever step up the action?

Do I have to download any DLC for this trilogy (PS3)? I read somewhere that it includes all the DLC, but I didn't have to download ANYTHING so far and I didn't put in the ME2 and ME3 disc yet. I'll finish ME1 first. But I want all the extra story stuff I can get, because people seemed to $#@! about ME3's ending and I read that an alternate ending was released as DLC (WTF?!), so I'm a little confused ATM...

Dude, so many games to buy and play! Next game's I'm going to buy are DMC (the reboot) and Far Cry 3 I think. But right now I have to blast through the ME trilogy and ALL the Metal Gear Solid titles (MGS1 from PSN, MGS HD collection which includes MGS2, MGS3 and MGS PW, and MGS4) to prepare for MGR Revengeance and MGSGZ and MGS5.

Oh by the way, sorry for all the offtopic ^^

ME1 runs at a decent framerate on my PS3. There ARE hickups here and there, but nothing that's gamebreaking or taking you out of the experience. The texture-loading only appeared to me when I used fast travel or when the game loaded a new level. That's all. Happens in most of the AC games too and nobody complains, so who cares. I wanted to get into the ME series finally and this trilogy gives me the chance to start all over at the beginning. I wouldn't mind if it ran at a worse framerate and lower textures than on the Xbox360, because I just want to know the story, play the game and NOT buy an extra Xbox360 just for one game. LOL

So all I can say to the people who aren't sure wheter to buy it or not: Buy it, or buy a 360+ME1 (people who have one/two of the sequels but want to play the original one). The graphics are OK, the mood is nice, the music can suck at times (cliché "peep peep" and synthesizer crap that I can't stand - but it's not always like that), but it's a HUUUGE game. Man I can't even believe how many work must've gone into this game. Not only does the dialogue depend on the choices you make on the dialogue circle, but also on the squad members you chose! I mean even if it's alwas the same sentences that the squad members say, EVERY SINGLE voice actor has to do voice overs for every possible line in the game. And I noticed that your buddies will talk to one another, for example in elevators. They are from different species and races, so they talk about that, AND it fits into the story! I can't believe it. There's got to be dozens and dozens of dialog possibilities in the elevators alone - just for your squad members! This is crazy. Seriously, it's crazy. Then there's voice over for every codex entry... man the production value was very high for this game. I appreciate that. Maybe I'll get into it when I'm about 20 hours into the game. So far, ME1 hasn't been that much fun. But it has imressed me with the sheer amount of content.

BTW: Can you still design your own Commander Shepard in ME2 and ME3? I went with the standard model, cause he's on the cover and looks the best. I want my protagonist to be recognizable, not some individual ugly dude or woman who nobody recognizes. I like to customize my character though with armor and all that stuff, but the character itself should looks the same.
    ME2 and 3 cut down on most of rpg stuff thats in 1 theres no inventory system and the xp/paragon stuff is less complex.

Thank you itachi

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Awesome. Thanks for that info.

Only digital unfortunately, unless you trade in your copies and get the trilogy box

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Looks like I can finally buy Mass Effect. It better have all the DLC.

Now I just need an Assasins Creed box set.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Thread Information