Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

UN ( ITU ) Asks For World Wide Control Of The Internet

Members of the United Nation’s International Telecommunications Union (ITU) have agreed to work towards implementing a standard for the Internet that would allow for eavesdropping on a worldwide scale.

At a conference in Dubai this week, the ITU members decided to adopt the Y.2770 standard for deep packet inspection, a top-secret proposal by way of China that will allow telecom companies across the world to more easily dig through data passed across the Web.

According to the UN, implementing deep-packet inspection, or DPI, on such a global scale will allow authorities to more easily detect the transferring and sharing of copyrighted materials and other protected files by finding a way for administrators to analyze the payload of online transmissions, not just the header data that is normally identified and interpreted.

“It is standard procedure to route packets based on their headers, after all it is the part of the packet that contains information on the packet's intended destination,” writes The Inquirer’s Lawrence Lati, “but by inspecting the contents of each packet ISPs, governments and anyone else can look at sensitive data. While users can mitigate risks by encrypting data, given enough resources encryption can be foiled.”

Tim Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist widely regarded as the ‘Father of the Internet,’ spoke out against proposed DPI implementation on such a grandiose scale during an address earlier this year at the World Wide Web Consortium.

"Somebody clamps a deep packet inspection thing on your cable which reads every packet and reassembles the web pages, cataloguing them against your name, address and telephone number either to be given to the government when they ask for it or to be sold to the highest bidder – that's a really serious breach of privacy,” he said.

Blogger Arthur Herman writes this week for Fox News online that the goal of the delegates at the ITU “is to grab control of the World Wide Web away from the United States, and hand it to a UN body of bureaucrats.”

“It’ll be the biggest power grab in the UN’s history, as well as a perversion of its power,” he warns.

The ITU’s secretary general, Dr. Hamadoun I. Toure, has dismissed critics who have called the proposed DPI model invasive, penning an op-ed this week where he insists his organization’s meeting in Dubai poses “no threat to free speech.”

“It is our chance to chart a globally-agreed roadmap to connect the unconnected, while ensuring there is investment to create the infrastructure needed for the exponential growth in voice, video and data traffic,” Dr. Toure claims of the conference, adding that it presents the UN with “a golden opportunity to provide affordable connectivity for all, including the billions of people worldwide who cannot yet go online.”

Despite his explanation, though, some nation-states and big-name businesses remain opposed to the proposal. The ITU’s conference this week has been held behind closed doors, and representatives with online service providers Google, Facebook and Twitter have been barred from attending.

In a report published this week by CNet, tech journalist Declan McCullagh cites a Korean document that describes the confidential Y.2770 standard as being able to identify "embedded digital watermarks in MP3 data," discover "copyright protected audio content," find "Jabber messages with Spanish text," or "identify uploading BitTorrent users."

On Wednesday, the US House of Representatives unanimously passed a Senate resolution that asks for the American government to oppose any efforts by the United Nations to control the Internet.
    http://rt.com/usa/news/un-internet-itu-packet-385/

How the hell can they do this and wait it's nothing new and no surprise

Indoril Nerevar
    Typical. It's just a bunch of of the rich and elite being unwilling to adjust to a world with something as open and free as the internet. They'd rather place a lock on everything rather than reforming their own lines of thinking and their methods of control.

3. Likes Admartian , claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Unfuckingbelievable...then again, the UN has been known to try and seize of control of other things, put their foot stamp on others for power. This is SOPA again, except worldwide, and worse. We'll need to make an Internet service in space or on another planet. This is fucking ridiculous. You know, I've always laughed at those conspiracy theories about the NWO, but now, I'm starting to believe them.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I blame jimmy savile personally . . .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Some men just want to watch the world burn!

If that ever happens, i wanna see Chaos. A world where the internet is not free, and you can't say what you like without being monitored, that is not why the internet was built for.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I can't see this happening with a certain group of hackers out there.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Forum Sage

Anyone still disagree with me and think the UN isn't corrupt?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics
    I wish the UN will just collapse into obscurity. It started out with good intentions, but now it's just a cesspool of control freaks! I am tired (and I bet many of you, too) of paying for this useless organization.

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Anyone still disagree with me and think the UN isn't corrupt?
    Grouping a collection of individually greedy and corrupted men doesn't make them anymore pure than they are. The UN can be just as control hungry as any organization. Generally the UN isn't centrally corrupt in its agenda, though, because nations don't always agree. This is one of the rarer instances where they may try to exercise their power wrongly.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDuoMaxwell View Post
    I wish the UN will just collapse into obscurity. It started out with good intentions, but now it's just a cesspool of control freaks! I am tired (and I bet many of you, too) of paying for this useless organization.
    The UN isn't useless. You should probably look into political theory before saying that. The United Nations does provide a public space for nations to work out their disagreements in an a democratically-encouraged manner. For instance, Japan and China are disputing islands right within their shared water space. The UN in this regard functions as an international standard by which they can apply their arguments.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Grouping a collection of individually greedy and corrupted men doesn't make them anymore pure than they are. The UN can be just as control hungry as any organization. Generally the UN isn't centrally corrupt in its agenda, though, because nations don't always agree. This is one of the rarer instances where they may try to exercise their power wrongly.
    I disagree... completely. The entire purpose of the UN has been the consolidation of power unto an organization which really shouldn't have it under the guise of political cooperation and use as a forum to solve conflicts diplomatically which, it has ultimately failed in doing... miserably. Honestly, when I see what has sprung up from that quagmire - things like the WHO, WTO, ITU, tools like economic sanctions, things that are an act of war - I really wish, the building that organization occupies in New York would be put to better use.

I am a STRONG advocate of either disbanding the UN, or withdrawing from it and kicking the organization out of the US.

Indoril Nerevar
    To be honest I don't see how you can really disagree with me. It looks like we're generally on the same page, only that you're stretching your opinion further. I'm not going to argue the validity of the UN here, because I know the attempt is useless.

Some control may be good but over restriction will be killing of freedom.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    To be honest I don't see how you can really disagree with me. It looks like we're generally on the same page, only that you're stretching your opinion further. I'm not going to argue the validity of the UN here, because I know the attempt is useless.
    I hate concentrations of power. The UN and everything it stands for is an affront to the sovereignty of this nation. Nothing should ever trump our constitution yet we have a supranational organization which our presidents answer to and ask for permission before doing anything without regard for our own laws and the inherent power we ought to have ourselves. I don't like the fact that we ask the UN before we go to war instead of having the balls to declare it ourselves like the constitution grants. I don't like the fact that we have our own soldiers and military assets as part of the UN's peacekeeping force and military, I don't like the fact that we answer to the WTO, a UN created organization in all matters of trade, finance and international economics. I don't like that we're involved with it all. There was a reason why we refused to join the League Of Nations and why we initially chose non-interventionism. Consolidation of power corrupts

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    I can't see this happening with a certain group of hackers out there.
    I can't see it happening with the US Department of Defense out there. After all, they are the ones responsible for creating the internet in the first place, they are the ones that control international IP assignment (IPs assigned to countries, not IPs assigned to individuals) and they are the ones that control the majority of the internet backbone.

Most people don't realize it, but the US DoD could effectively turn off the internet for the majority of the world if they wanted. Individual countries would still be able to access sites within their country, but they would lose access internationally.

Veteran
    Best part of the article:

"Somebody clamps a deep packet inspection thing on your cable which reads every packet and reassembles the web pages, cataloguing them against your name, address and telephone number either to be given to the government when they ask for it or to be sold to the highest bidder – that's a really serious breach of privacy,” he said.

“It’ll be the biggest power grab in the UN’s history, as well as a perversion of its power,” he warns.

/Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Supreme Veteran

Just wonder were Will this go and how will it effect the net

Will we lose freedom

Thread Information