Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Can windows 8 be used without a keyboard an mouse 100% of the time?

I guess though if oyu want to just use the box for games youset Steam to autostart with windows logon and in big picture mode.
    Yes.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    It sounds pretty neat. If priced right, the idea of being able to play PC games on a console-like PC lets those who don't wanna deal with configurations and such an immediate outlet. I think it could take off, for those that aren't serious PC gamers, but can enjoy a crap ton of games already.

Super Elite

Can windows 8 be used without a keyboard an mouse 100% of the time?

I guess though if oyu want to just use the box for games youset Steam to autostart with windows logon and in big picture mode.
    This is the original article:
    http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newel...t+gen-consoles

The fact is, I can use an Xbox 360 or PS3 without a keyboard or mouse. Why wouldn't you be able to use a Linux based OS built to run Steam without them? Who the heck said they're using Windows 8? Valve said they're using a Linux based system. If they used Windows 8 then prices would be driven up due to licensing costs. Is this really that hard to understand? Think of it as a PS3 that only plays digital content EXCEPT it also plays that content on your PC.

In other words. There will be no Windows OS. There will be no "launching steam" any more than you consider yourself to be "launching XMB" when you turn on your PS3. It will come with a controller since it's basically a console and have USB keyboard/mouse support for those that want it.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 12-10-2012 at 00:16.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    It's something for those who want to game on the PC, but don't have the patience or the knowledge to build one themselves i guess. Other than that i don't see any Hardcore PC gamer would ever buy such a thing.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    It's something for those who want to game on the PC, but don't have the patience or the knowledge to build one themselves i guess. Other than that i don't see any Hardcore PC gamer would ever buy such a thing.
    This really is hard for you guys to wrap your heads around. Ever hear of the PSP Go? This is that in console form except with unlimited games and sales that blow away MS and Sony consoles. This isn't for PC gamers. It's for console gamers.

To put it in another way, you buy a console, take it home, buy digital content and play it with a controller. How is this different than any other modern console other than having no optical drive? People have been talking about digital only consoles for years. This will be the first.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 12-10-2012 at 00:31.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    This is the original article:
    http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newel...t+gen-consoles

The fact is, I can use an Xbox 360 or PS3 without a keyboard or mouse. Why wouldn't you be able to use a Linux based OS built to run Steam without them? Who the heck said they're using Windows 8? Valve said they're using a Linux based system. If they used Windows 8 then prices would be driven up due to licensing costs. Is this really that hard to understand? Think of it as a PS3 that only plays digital content EXCEPT it also plays that content on your PC.

In other words. There will be no Windows OS. There will be no "launching steam" any more than you consider yourself to be "launching XMB" when you turn on your PS3. It will come with a controller since it's basically a console and have USB keyboard/mouse support for those that want it.
    Nobody. Me included. I asked a general question about windows 8 seeing if it was possible right now with current Operating systems and it looks like it is.

Thing is though these are still PC games so the multi player portions will have mice v controllers and some people find that unfair but c'est la vie.

I do much prefer sitting on a couch playing certain genre or styles of games such as driving, 3rd person or even RPG's.
    I cannot really get into them on my PC sat at a desk bolt upright for hours at time.

You might want to tone down your confrontational writing int he future.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-10-2012 at 00:50.

Super Elite

Nobody. Me included. I asked a general question about windows 8 seeing if it was possible right now with current Operating systems and it looks like it is.

Thing is though these are still PC games so the multi player portions will have mice v controllers and some people find that unfair but c'est la vie.

I do much prefer sitting on a couch playing certain genre or styles of games such as driving, 3rd person or even RPG's.
    I cannot really get into them on my PC sat at a desk bolt upright for hours at time.
    As I said, I imagine mouse and keyboard support will be here for those that care. Personally I don't really play much multiplayer.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover

If it's a Linux system built to do NOTHING but play games and comes with a controller but only runs digital content, how is that a whole lot different from regular consoles other than no optical drive?
    It wouldn't be. But I'm assuming it wouldn't be a closed system you can't upgrade. That doesn't seem to be Valve's way to do things

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    It wouldn't be. But I'm assuming it wouldn't be a closed system you can't upgrade. That doesn't seem to be Valve's way to do things
    From the way its worded it sounds like they want a closed off system for people who arent sure on PC gaming.

Thank you itachi

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    From the way its worded it sounds like they want a closed off system for people who arent sure on PC gaming.
    Yeah true. I was thinking about the software and OS when I read that part, but you're right it probably means hardware

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Yup, same here. Skyrim is so much better when I don't play from the desk, and I can generally play it longer.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Yeah true. I was thinking about the software and OS when I read that part, but you're right it probably means hardware
    I think it really needs to be said that this is clearly aimed at those of us that do console gaming and don't really like PC gaming that much. This isn't going to be made for PC gamers. It's going to be upgraded every 3-5 years just like a regular console. Anyone that wants a PC in their living room can do it now but most don't want that so there will be this console for us. In the article I posted he says essentially all of this when he states that this is to play games and not do other stuff so if you want to do other stuff get a regular pc and use it in your living room.

Personally I'm excited about this. I'd love to see someone go in there and knee-cap the MS/Sony duopoly for digital content.

edit:
    Here's the quote
    "Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 12-10-2012 at 01:44.

Forum Sage
    I think it really needs to be said that this is clearly aimed at those of us that do console gaming and don't really like PC gaming that much. This isn't going to be made for PC gamers. It's going to be upgraded every 3-5 years just like a regular console. Anyone that wants a PC in their living room can do it now but most don't want that so there will be this console for us. In the article I posted he says essentially all of this when he states that this is to play games and not do other stuff so if you want to do other stuff get a regular pc and use it in your living room.

Personally I'm excited about this. I'd love to see someone go in there and knee-cap the MS/Sony duopoly for digital content

edit:
    Here's the quote
    "Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.
    Not going to happen.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Since we presume its going to run on a linux distro/core would that also mean they ave to GPL their code which would allow people to create their own Steam boxes with their slimmed down OS?

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Not going to happen.
    I wouldnt be so sure, especially when you dont even describe why...

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    I wouldnt be so sure, especially when you dont even describe why...
    It doesn't take a genius to see that this is going to fail.

it will not be cheaper or simpler than consoles from sony and MS. And it can't compare to proper gaming pc's.

Anybody that isn't alread in one (or both) of those two groups has options like the alineware x51 left This option may be cheaper than the x51, but is likely to have inferior hardware.

Best case scenario is that this Steam "box" has slightly better graphics than current consoles at the same resolutions. Problem is that is likely to be significantly more expensive than a 360 or ps3 and will be creamed by the next xbox and ps4 when they launch in a year or so. (I wouldn't be surprised if the next gen consoles also end up being cheaper than the steam box).

This is such a niche market that chances of success are minimal.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Unfortunately.. This probably won't go anywhere unless it caught on in a huge way. Where developers would pay special attention to the specific hardware inside this Steam Box (or the various models?). It's not embedded hardware like a console from what I gather here.. Not unless Valve is going to make a serious forray into that arena. I think they'd do well, honestly.

So this will probably be a ' budget' device meant for gaming but it won't reproduce the kind of visuals that the next gen hardware will. Because it's still essentially a PC and devs won't be tailor making games for it.

It would be at least a step in the right direction if it were a Linux box and Valve made good on their promise to focus hard on Linux. The boons of enhancing and popularizing Linux\OpenGL would be wonderful.

Tldr; to me, for now, this sounds like the worst of both worlds. You don't have the flexibility of the PC nor its power (and higher price point) or the efficiency and embedded services of a console at a more reasonable price point.

Sounds like something for a select few people. And for them, thats great. But yeah I am keen to learn more

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Speaking of Big Picture mode, is anyone else annoyed that the button is placed on the top-right side of the browser? I find it distracting. =P
    You can start big pic mode by using the jump list in Win 7.
    Or you can set Steam to always start in BP mode.

Thread Information