Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items User name style

Why is it the ps3 version of multiplatform games always do worse than 360?

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 had issues, Mass Effect 3, Skyrimmmmm dam that game, had to start over on my 360 and so far it's perfect plus it even looks better which is super strange. Anyway though, what is it with the ps3 and not being up to par with it's 360 counterpart. This wasn't a huge issue a few years ago and we're in the same console cycle.

I don't buy the developers are being lazy due to the number of issues popping up, makes me regret owning the ps3 version at times

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Early on it could be excused because they run differently with processing(from what I am told). Xbox 360 basically runs like a pc, while ps3 is a bit diff(someone who knows more will shed light). Now it is just laziness. PS3 been out for to long not to code right. Next gen tho both will be similar so shouldn't have problems.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Because you touch yourself at night..... So stop!

Honestly though I'm pretty sure it's just developer prioritising certain games (depending on each game and each developer at the time). Plust the X360 /= PC architecture.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

4. Likes Yuuichi likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    If I remember correctly, it has something to do with how Blu-ray discs read the same data twice. Whatever the reason, it's been 6 years. Developers should know their way around the PS3's architecture.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Isn't it just half ass copy/paste?

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asura View Post
    Call of Duty Black Ops 2 had issues, Mass Effect 3, Skyrimmmmm dam that game, had to start over on my 360 and so far it's perfect plus it even looks better which is super strange. Anyway though, what is it with the ps3 and not being up to par with it's 360 counterpart. This wasn't a huge issue a few years ago and we're in the same console cycle.

I don't buy the developers are being lazy due to the number of issues popping up, makes me regret owning the ps3 version at times
    Bethesda doesn't know how to code for ps3, simple as that. Look at how fallout 3 and New Vegas (I know it was made by obsidian) performed.

Mass effect games have issues even on 360 (but not as bad on ps3) I swear from digital foundry's videos, ME3 runs a consistent 20fps on ps3 in cinematics however I don't know if recent patches have improved performance.

For cod games I presume its the dated engine that has some compatibility issues. they are using an engine based on quake so....

I personally haven't noticed any performance issue in my games (I only own a ps3) and actually have noticed how good devs have gotten at getting absolute parity between console versions (Dishonored, Hitman Absolution, AC3, Max Payne 3 etc) all recent games are more closer than they have ever been before.
    Last edited by Itachi; 12-11-2012 at 06:16.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    IT IS lazy development, there are plenty of multiplatform games that perform equal to or better than the 360 because they've been developed properly for it (Portal 2, Batman AA/AC, Saints Row The Third, Bioshock, FarCry 3 etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    ITs still just as difficult to program for, time hasn't made the process any easier.

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    So why aren't the first party devs having the same issues?

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I do not have any "facts" but I personally think it is because first party devs have their entire team focusing on the console, be it ps3 or xbox 360, while multi platform devs have more team members on xbox 360, then pc, then PS3, so PS3 gets less team members writing the code for game. yes crazy theory and "fanboy" talk, but I am by no means a fanboy just evidence seems to speak for itself.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Master Guru
    The 360 is easier to develop for so if the 360 is the lead platform which in most cases it is you can expect a weak port to the PS3.

With that said, i haven't experienced half the problems people claim to witness when it comes to PS3 multiplats and i've played a ton of games on both platforms. Some do play and look better on the 360 and some do play and look better on the PS3.

Batman: AA, Assassin's Creed series, and FFXIII are a few that i can think of that were better on the PS3.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Actually even the 'lazy devs' explanation is not completely accurate. thrid party devs constantly have huge pressure from their publishers to get their products on the market. The devs KNOW about the problems with their games but have no choice since they have to make the dead line if the publisher said so. First party studios have virtually unlimited time and resources so they can take solve issues without any hurry

14. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    The 360 is easier to develop for so if the 360 is the lead platform which in most cases it is you can expect a weak port to the PS3. With that said, i haven't experienced half the problems people claim to witness when it comes to PS3 multiplats and i've played a ton of games on both platforms. Some do play and look better on the 360 and some do play and look better on the PS3. Batman: AA, Assassin's Creed series, and FFXIII are a few that i can think of that were better on the PS3.
    And also Dishonored was better on PS3.http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...nored-face-off But tbh regardless of who the verdict favors most of these comparisons are pretty nitpicky and overblown imo. I've played plenty of multiplats on both and the vast majority are pretty much on par for both consoles and have been for awhile now.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-11-2012 at 06:59.

Forum Elder
    Perhaps there games would run better on 360. But we will never know.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Until I see a 360 exclusive look as good as games like Uncharted, Killzone, TLOU, etc. then I seriously doubt it.

Ancient
    This, I reckon those devs magically got some mad skills from nowhere when they started making PS3 games and if they made a 360 game the game would be better, but (by) coincidence they only make PS3 games
    Then again MGS:GZ & TPP look very good for multiplats

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    If the Unreal Engine powers a PS3 multi platform game, consider the ps3 to have the worst performance of the two.

not a single game using that engine has 'performed' on par with its 360 counterpart.
    a few may look better, but most, if not all, Unreal games on ps3 are 25-30fps in contrast to the solid 30 enjoyed by the 360. (Disclaimer: this is of course speaking broadly, there are always the few exceptions: in this case however you'll be able to count them on one hand)

for other development studio's though, its as TDBank and itachi stated.

PS3 has been at the bottom because it is still just as difficult to code for. it hasn't become any easier. as such devs will complete their game first on a easy platform[360] then put it onto the PS3. but as itachi said, publishers don't want to wait that long.

first party devs have the luxury of only one console to focus on and a publisher who also has a significant stake in the product as their name is also the on the thing which will run it.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Until I see a 360 exclusive look as good as games like Uncharted, Killzone, TLOU, etc. then I seriously doubt it.
    "run better" is not quite the same as "looks as good", but Crysis 2 has shown that 360 games can look as good as Killzone. while 360 can run Skyrim and its DLC.

so what i know is that multi-plats run on both in mostly = measure while i'll never find out if PS3 exclusives could also not be run in = measure on 360.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    "run better" is not quite the same as "looks as good", but Crysis 2 has shown that 360 games can look as good as Killzone. while 360 can run Skyrim and its DLC.

so what i know is that multi-plats run on both in mostly = measure while i'll never find out if PS3 exclusives could also not be run in = measure on 360.
    No, that comparison is wrong. Skyrim can only 'run' on 360 because bethesda only knows how to make it run in a unified memory architecture. Its been 7 years and they still don't know how to deal with 2 split pools of memory? Knowing the system architectures they still went with the same code for both. I've heard that new vegas had a similar problem too. You'd think they learn from their failures

As far as Crysis 2 goes, then yeah its not some official rule that multiplats can't look good as exclusives (its a generalization). However Crysis 2 performs at 22fps on both consoles so I don't see the point.

Another example of marvalous multiplat coding is Carmack. RAGE runs at a locked 60fps on both consoles.
    Last edited by Itachi; 12-11-2012 at 16:12.

22. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Crysis 2 is not HD either

jus' sayin'

Sig courtesy of the_jim

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Crysis 2 is not HD either jus' sayin'
    Yep exactly. And Killzone 3 looks better and is 720p native. Killzone has tons of incredible stuff going on onscreen in alot of the battles and firefights. Crysis 2 doesnt do anything special in that regard. Its not nearly as busy a game as Killzone yet its still a sub-HD game.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    LOL. Not always for sure, i would say occasionally which would fit exactly of how i feel about ps3 multiplatformed games.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yeah it's a tad unfair to compare Crysis because it's not HD. I had this debate awhile ago with another member, the fact that they had to bring the resolution down to make it 30FPS needs to be taken into consideration, it's not just about it being HD (it looks great even so) but Killzone manages to be HD and 30FPS whilst having amazing graphics. TBH though I personally think Uncharted and God of War are way ahead than any of other Sony games and it'll be between GoW:A and TLOU that will take the final graphics crown of this gen. GOW has the scale and TLOU has the detail, we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

27. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    When did Killzone 3 become a multiplatform game?
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yep exactly. And Killzone 3 looks better and is 720p native. Killzone has tons of incredible stuff going on onscreen in alot of the battles and firefights. Crysis 2 doesnt do anything special in that regard. Its not nearly as busy a game as Killzone yet its still a sub-HD game.
    1152 x 720 isn't technically HD, I guess. Also consider the lack of it being a "you can only go this way" kinda game. It renders a ton of stuff in a larger environment, so there had to be some trade-off in that respect. If someone can't see the technical accomplishments that are in Crysis 2, they either don't know how to recognize what's being rendered, or they've never played the game.
    Last edited by F34R; 12-11-2012 at 17:37.

Ancient
    Love Crysis 2
    But why bring it up? The visuals although good are not up to par with PS3 exclusives like Uncharted or Killzone....maybe if it was 720p
    But 360 vs PS3? Yeah the 360 version does have a slightly higher resolution, but the PS3 handles a lot of stuff on screen better and has better texture filtering which is noticeable despite the lower res
    Both versions are good but both have different pros & cons
    Probably not the best title to compare
    What about Dishonored? Actually no thats made by the Skyrim dudes ain't it
    Well atleast they are finally fixing that DLC mess

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Thread Information