Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1020 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's common and that's the fear
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member

Just wanted to throw out a few facts for the paranoid and easily frightened.

1. According to a 30 year study by the American Medical Association, murder and suicide rates did NOT drop any faster in states with strict anti-gun laws than they did in states with relaxed gun laws.

2. The 5 major US cities with the highest murder rates all have strict anti-gun laws. The 5 major US cities with the lowest murder rates all allow Conceal Carry.

3. 55% of all gun deaths in the US are suicides, and suicide rates are not effected by anti-gun laws.

4. The major US city with the lowest murder rate is El Paso where Conceal Carry is permitted and 12 year olds can have hunting licenses. (For our British friends, El Paso has a lower murder rate than London or Manchester. The overall violent crime rate is lower than the knife crime rate of London) The North American city with the highest murder rate is Cuidad Juraez which is just across the border in Mexico where private gun ownership is illegal.

5. The cities of Washington DC, Chicago, and Detroit had their murder rates more than quadruple AFTER passing the most strict anti-gun laws in the US. These cities now have 3 of the 5 highest murder rates in the US.

6. Since the year 2000 there has not been a single mass shooting involving civilians in Texas, which has the most relaxed gun laws in the US, nor Florida, which has issued the most Conceal Carry permits in the US. (The only mass shooting in either state was on a US Army base in an area where soldiers were not permitted to have weapons)

7. Every mass shooting in the US since 2010 happened in a state that voted Democrat.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 12-16-2012 at 02:10.

3. Likes Ezekiel, F34R likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    According to my understanding people are people and guns are bad

Also... Death is the unnatural thing we all will go through..

The death of these innocents was uncalled for and evil beyond measure and I wish it never happened... But again this will not be the last either in the states or anywhere else in the world
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Just wanted to throw out a few facts for the paranoid and easily frightened.

1. According to a 30 year study by the American Medical Association, murder and suicide rates did NOT drop any faster in states with strict anti-gun laws than they did in states with relaxed gun laws.

2. The 5 major US cities with the highest murder rates all have strict anti-gun laws. The 5 major US cities with the lowest murder rates all allow Conceal Carry.

3. 55% of all gun deaths in the US are suicides, and suicide rates are not effected by anti-gun laws.

4. The major US city with the lowest murder rate is El Paso where Conceal Carry is permitted and 12 year olds can have hunting licenses. (For our British friends, El Paso has a lower murder rate than London or Manchester. The overall violent crime rate is lower than the knife crime rate of London) The North American city with the highest murder rate is Cuidad Juraez which is just across the border in Mexico where private gun ownership is illegal.

5. The cities of Washington DC, Chicago, and Detroit had their murder rates more than quadruple AFTER passing the most strict anti-gun laws in the US. These cities now have 3 of the 5 highest murder rates in the US.

6. Since the year 2000 there has not been a single mass shooting involving civilians in Texas, which has the most relaxed gun laws in the US, nor Florida, which has issued the most Conceal Carry permits in the US. (The only mass shooting in either state was on a US Army base in an area where soldiers were not permitted to have weapons)

7. Every mass shooting in the US since 2010 happened in a state that voted Democrat.

Apparently you forgot one with #6

Nov. 5, 2009: Thirteen soldiers and civilians were killed and more than two dozen wounded when a gunman walked into the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas, and opened fire. Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

While it may be 1 she/he was still a civilian in Texas.

This is another thing I've taken stats class before, and just like with this list you can manipulate the data any way you want sometimes I'll trust it, but other times I'm just smh.
    Last edited by Arimax; 12-16-2012 at 02:46.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    We need more education on this... To understand why and preventive measures need to be put in place

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post

Nov. 5, 2009: Thirteen soldiers and civilians were killed and more than two dozen wounded when a gunman walked into the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas, and opened fire. Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

This is another thing I've taken stats class before, and just like with this list you can manipulate the data any way you want sometimes I'll trust it, but other times I'm just smh.
    Read his post again, thoroughly.

8. Likes reasonable_doubt likes this post
    Apprentice

I registered just to post about this. I feel for the family of the victims, and the victims themselves. I respect the opinions of those that harp about gun control. But I do not agree that restrictions on guns will save anyone. I own guns. Both handguns and rifles. I also own knives too. I have not went into a theater and went on a shooting spree, nor have I went to a Highschool, university or an elementary school. I, like many here enjoy video games. I have a question to everyone to ponder.

If Grand Theft Auto V was out now, do you think that the media would have blamed the video game/industry for some contributing factor in the shooting? Or perhaps they would blame Rap, or rock music? The media needs an outlet in which to place blame for the actions of some piece of human waste. As horrible as this is, gun restriction is not the answer and it will not work. Criminals STILL get guns to commit their crimes. Restricting guns to law abbinding citizens is not the answer. Because guns are overshodowing this issue, the real issue is not being looked at closely. The PERSON that commited this travesty. If there was no prior history discovered as to the motive, I would suspect that this is a chemical issue, either mental or illegal drug. I would first guess a mental issue because not even a common criminal would do something like this without something to gain. That's just how their mind works. Weak minded people are easily influenced.

In the past, the media has in fact blamed all of the above references mentioned for these type of things. Not guns, music, or games are responsible for this. HE was. He made the choice or was coherced into it. If you take away the guns, it will be pipe bombs, or some other means in an effort to accomplish their goal next. Guns are not the problem in my opinion, the individual person is. If you look hard enought, I'm sure you could even find something in comic books and definately movies that could also be blamed. I don't think I'm wrong when I say those of us living in America definately want answers. Perhaps stricter mental evaluations before owning firearms is better put in place, but that's just an idea and not an answer.

10. Likes Ezekiel, Shibby , mynd , -Dj- , F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    I registered just to post about this. I feel for the family of the victims, and the victims themselves. I respect the opinions of those that harp about gun control. But I do not agree that restrictions on guns will save anyone. I own guns. Both handguns and rifles. I also own knives too. I have not went into a theater and went on a shooting spree, nor have I went to a Highschool, university or an elementary school. I, like many here enjoy video games. I have a question to everyone to ponder.

If Grand Theft Auto V was out now, do you think that the media would have blamed the video game/industry for some contributing factor in the shooting? Or perhaps they would blame Rap, or rock music? The media needs an outlet in which to place blame for the actions of some piece of human waste. As horrible as this is, gun restriction is not the answer and it will not work. Criminals STILL get guns to commit their crimes. Restricting guns to law abbinding citizens is not the answer. Because guns are overshodowing this issue, the real issue is not being looked at closely. The PERSON that commited this travesty. If there was no prior history discovered as to the motive, I would suspect that this is a chemical issue, either mental or illegal drug. I would first guess a mental issue because not even a common criminal would do something like this without something to gain. That's just how their mind works. Weak minded people are easily influenced.

In the past, the media has in fact blamed all of the above references mentioned for these type of things. Not guns, music, or games are responsible for this. HE was. He made the choice or was coherced into it. If you take away the guns, it will be pipe bombs, or some other means in an effort to accomplish their goal next. Guns are not the problem in my opinion, the individual person is. If you look hard enought, I'm sure you could even find something in comic books and definately movies that could also be blamed. I don't think I'm wrong when I say those of us living in America definately want answers. Perhaps stricter mental evaluations before owning firearms is better put in place, but that's just an idea and not an answer.
    Welcome to the forums, and thanks for posting. You've earned your first Like/+rep with your first post. Respect.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Welcome to the forums, and thanks for posting. You've earned your first Like/+rep with your first post. Respect.
    i don't think you get why he/she made a account i think it wants us to answer its question that's my guess

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Read his post again, thoroughly.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Games are not and never were a factor in any killing on any level

They are a easy target and so are films

People have the power to not pull the trigger and put the weapon down, if they choose not to

Then they are in a frame of mind that closes of like a wall, were is you have to find the door to get into their head, help to understand their reasons

And i bet neither games or films are mentioned

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style

This is another thing I've taken stats class before, and just like with this list you can manipulate the data any way you want sometimes I'll trust it, but other times I'm just smh.[/COLOR]
    My sociology proff told me about the nanipulating stats thing. I agree with your view if them.

To get back on topic

http://www.thetranscript.com/ci_2220...-protected-her

In an act of courage and love, Victoria "Vicki" Soto, a first grade teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, hid her students from a gunman before being killed herself.
    She was gun down after telling shooter her kids where in the gym. one day I hope to be half the teacher, and all the courage she has shown!!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf
    Last edited by Yuuichi; 12-16-2012 at 04:29.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    We need more education on this... To understand why and preventive measures need to be put in place
    Well, in the name of education, allow me to ask you a simple question here.

Did gun bans stop the IRA?

A gun is just a tool, like a hammer or knife. Like hammers and knives, how they are used is up to the person holding the tool, not the tool itself. And a person who is determined to commit an act of violence will do so, regardless of which tool they have to use to do it.

The largest mass murder in US history that was committed by a US citizen was done by Timothy McVeigh, who killed 168 people including 19 children under the age of 6, and injured another 680.

His weapon of choice.....

Some fertilizer, diesel fuel, and a rented truck.

No gun ban would have stopped that.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 12-16-2012 at 07:24.

17. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Dedicated Member

1 civilian doesn't constitue a mass killing of civilians, does it? It was a mass killing of soldiers by a Muslim yelling "Allah Akbar" as he shot. One civilian just happened to be there.

And if you want to be pedantic, a US military base is federal property, not state property. The base may be located in Texas, but the moment you step on the base you are on federal land and outside the jurisdiction of Texas law.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 12-16-2012 at 07:20.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Well, in the name of education, allow me to ask you a simple question here.

Did gun bans stop the IRA?

A gun is just a tool, like a hammer or knife. Like hammers and knives, how they are used is up to the person holding the tool, not the tool itself. And a person who is determined to commit an act of violence will do so, regardless of which tool they have to use to do it.

The largest mass murder in US history that was committed by a US citizen was done by Timothy McVeigh, who killed 168 people including 19 children under the age of 6, and injured another 680.

His weapon of choice.....

Some fertilizer, diesel fuel, and a rented truck.

No gun ban would have stopped that.

But conversely allowing everyone to own guns wouldn't/didn't stop it either.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-16-2012 at 08:41.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    But conversely allowing everyone to own guns wouldn't/didn't stop it either.
    There's no "didn't" involved here. The school was a 'gun free zone', so naturally law abiding citizens did not have weapons on campus.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Yeps indeedy do.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    But while the guy was heading to school in a kevlar vest and with an M4 assault rifle, nobody was able to notice him?
    Last edited by Cybertox; 12-16-2012 at 09:41.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Morgan Freeman has earned himself another freckle.

You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed
    people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    IRA are different to a one man army mate....

The IRA are government based and I know and everyone else knows that

So are the UDA, UFF, UVF, CIRA, BIRA

These groups get hold of guns from the government of northern Ireland.... This kid gets his from his mum, which in turn got hers from a store and that store gets them from the government that provides the right to bare arms and documents for the owner to sell the guns and again in turn sells the guns to the mother of the kid that took the guns

And killed all them innocent people
    Last edited by claud3; 12-16-2012 at 11:53.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    *sigh*

This thread has made me embarrassed to be an American right now.

Feel free to reply with the "Love it or leave it" comments.

Shut up and play games

26. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    *sigh*

That's what I was thinking.

What is it with the American pride for guns? Why are weapons considered to be part of the American way of life? Why are some people so desperately trying to protect their guns? So much nonsense...

Guns have been developed with only ONE goal in mind - KILL. You can spin it how you want and talk about protective measurements and all such bull$#@! but at the end of the day guns are there to kill. They have been produced for war situations and somehow managed to be legalised for the everyday life of your average Amerian citizen.

No wonder Americans are constantly laughed at here in Europe.

And while I do understand the point some of you are trying to get across with respect to guns not being the cause for such tragic incidents, that still doesn't explain your general desire for guns. Why do you cling on to them so desperately?
    Last edited by Wrath; 12-16-2012 at 14:55.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Guns are what they are

I for one know the u.s will need to do something to please both sides of the hot issue and try to reach a balanced understanding and whats needed and whats taking it to far...

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    *sigh*

What in this thread embarrasses you to be an American? If this thread embarrasses you, then hell, there must be things in the world outside of 13 pages of comments on a game forum that keeps you in agony for being an American.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

What is it with the American pride for guns? Why are weapons considered to be part of the American way of life? Why are some people so desperately trying to protect their guns? So much nonsense...

Guns have been developed with only ONE goal in mind - KILL. You can spin it how you want and talk about protective measurements and all such bull$#@! but at the end of the day guns are there to kill. They have been produced for war situations and somehow managed to be legalised for the everyday life of your average Amerian citizen.

No wonder Americans are constantly laughed at here in Europe.

And while I do understand the point some of you are trying to get across with respect to guns not being the cause for such tragic incidents, that still doesn't explain your general desire for guns. Why do you cling on to them so desperately?
    It's part of our national identity. Guns were and are an instrument of checks and balances and nothing you say is going to change that fact. Because the everyday average American has at least one firearm, the average American can push back against the worst offenses and ideas designed with tyranny and oppression in mind. Say what you will but I know that you understand this perfectly well. It has been drilled into your skull time and again with every thread concerning guns, murders, shootings, politics and the military. You're gonna have to accept the fact that we're not gonna change for anyone... ever.

Thread Information