Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder
    I can see why after I read his tweets.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    So he killed his mother who was a teacher at the school.

He also killed his father in New Jersey before he drove to CT and did what he did.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/national/27...-Ryan-Lanza-24

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ut-school.html

his Dad has been found dead at home also & his younger Brother is in Custody

4. Likes Sleepy likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Prepare to get flamed by the American Gun Elite on these forums.

Seriously though, it's ironic that you don't witness these kind of things NEARLY as often in other parts of the world that HAVE stricter gun laws in place. Just saying...
    Find me one of those countries with comparable demographics to the US.

I'll be waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernsty View Post
    THIS literally send chills down my spine.

My thoughts to all the children, staff, and their families that were affected. I've always wanted stricter gun control laws and never understood why so many Americans wanted unnecessarily powerful weapons.
    Why don't you properly educate yourself on the matter before developing an opinion/jumping to conclusions.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    These situations are tricky, because people do these things to become infamous. So it would make sense to refrain from revealing the name of the killer.

But at the same time, when something terrible like this happens, people don't want it covered up.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ut-school.html

his Dad has been found dead at home also & his younger Brother is in Custody
    Now his girlfriend is missing.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    I know it's as bad when ever it happens but cmon' Xmas time really ??? R.I.P

9. Likes Arimax likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Prepare to get flamed by the American Gun Elite on these forums.

Seriously though, it's ironic that you don't witness these kind of things NEARLY as often in other parts of the world that HAVE stricter gun laws in place. Just saying...
    Let's outlaw knives, cars and motorcycles as well. Those kill people too, right?
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Let's outlaw knives, cars and motorcycles as well. Those kill people too, right?
    I'm just going to say that today one man started stabbing people in China. No one died.
    I wonder how things would be if he had pistols.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

12. Likes Admartian , Wrath , Arimax likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Duin View Post
    I'm just going to say that today one man started stabbing people in China. No one died.
    I wonder how things would be if he had pistols.
    Glad for that. That he's not dead of course.

I'll say my two cents as I know I'll probably get flamed to hell and back for this.

Really outlawing knives, cars, and motorcycles while people can die from being stabbed or from car accidents and even motorcycles accidents how many times do you hear about people going on rampages with a car or knife?

Plus how many times have you heard of someone killing 30 people or even 10 with a knife?

Look my only thing is we shouldn't even have handguns when I see most people hunting they using rifles. Only time I ever see handguns used to gun down another human being. At some point in time this topic is going to have to get talked about and if it can't be talked about after someone killed 18 kids then I guess it never will which is extremely sad.

14. Likes Admartian , Mael Duin likes this post
    Veteran
    So disturbing...just can't see how someone can do something this horrific.

Apparently, today was also the shooters birthday...I heard it on the radio, so I'm not 100% sure on that.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Apparently one of the gunners had some serious mental issues.
    Yeah and that's what happens when they deinstatuionalize america. We need that back a place to lock up these mentaly disturbed people where gov pays for it.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Ultimate Veteran
    My point is that someone was committed enough to walk into an elementary school and gun down a bunch of innocent people. You would think if someone was sick in the head that we would be getting them help instead of outlawing firearms from everyone - including those who know the difference between right and wrong.

Friendship is Carrots
    I'm not a fan of guns. I don't particular care for their usage, neither their benefits and foibles. At best I find them interesting from a mechanical perspective, so this post is in no way bias. The issue people seem to have is thinking that stricter gun laws would prevent things like this, but we simply know they wouldn't -- not directly anyways. At best you can hope for a deterrent despite its unlikeliness, or hope that a criminal uses a less-dangerous weapon. The fault here isn't so much with the gun as it is with the cause. Until its determined why these shooters did what they did, we have to admit that we don't know. Blaming the guns is simply overlooking the issue.

Obviously someone is much more inclined to use a gun in a murder spree, but what can you do? How would you have prevented this? You can't. At best you can hope for a sort of societal and cultural betterment by encouraging some understanding. America has a very strange love-hate relationship with both killers and guns. It doesn't help that we have a shrinking middle class with a growing disparity between the rich and poor, or that not everyone who need mental medical attention gets it. We need to examine the whole picture thoroughly and admit what the actual cause is. That said, I do personally believe that stricter gun laws could benefit, but its a long-term effort in the sense that you need a cultural shift to occur first. That takes time.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Tell you what. Not nearly as many children would have died if all he had available were knives, etc.

Guns are just too dangerous because all you have to do is pull a trigger.

20. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I just can't wrap my head around this $#@!. I don't understand how anyone could do this to elementary school children. With no rhyme or reason. Just needless death and destruction. It's a shame the gunman is dead. A coward to the end. He never got true justice for what he just did. As a father...I know if my sons were killed by some maniac, I'd be devastated. Not only by the act of my children dying, but also for the fact that I could not dish out my own form of justice on the person responsible. This is just....sad. One of the saddest things I've seen in the news in years. I hope the media does the responsible thing and does a blackout on this story. This animal does NOT need the attention he so desperately craved.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

22. Likes mynd likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post
    Glad for that. That he's not dead of course.

I'll say my two cents as I know I'll probably get flamed to hell and back for this.

Really outlawing knives, cars, and motorcycles while people can die from being stabbed or from car accidents and even motorcycles accidents how many times do you hear about people going on rampages with a car or knife?

Plus how many times have you heard of someone killing 30 people or even 10 with a knife?

Look my only thing is we shouldn't even have handguns when I see most people hunting they using rifles. Only time I ever see handguns used to gun down another human being. At some point in time this topic is going to have to get talked about and if it can't be talked about after someone killed 18 kids then I guess it never will which is extremely sad.
    You realize deaths related to guns in the US is fairly low compared to nearly all other causes of death, right?

As for your knife question:

Look into the history of the Ghurkas and their Kukri knives.

Tell you what. Not nearly as many children would have died if all he had available were knives, etc.

Improvised explosives/incendiary devices

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    You realize deaths related to guns in the US is fairly low compared to nearly all other causes of death, right?

It's amazing what you can make form a couple of cheap items purchased from a hardware store and some stuff underneath your kitchen sink. Where there' s a will, there's a way.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

25. Likes mynd , Vulgotha likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I'm not a fan of guns. I don't particular care for their usage, neither their benefits and foibles. At best I find them interesting from a mechanical perspective, so this post is in no way bias. The issue people seem to have is thinking that stricter gun laws would prevent things like this, but we simply know they wouldn't -- not directly anyways. At best you can hope for a deterrent despite its unlikeliness, or hope that a criminal uses a less-dangerous weapon. The fault here isn't so much with the gun as it is with the cause. Until its determined why these shooters did what they did, we have to admit that we don't know. Blaming the guns is simply overlooking the issue.

Obviously someone is much more inclined to use a gun in a murder spree, but what can you do? How would you have prevented this? You can't. At best you can hope for a sort of societal and cultural betterment by encouraging some understanding. America has a very strange love-hate relationship with both killers and guns. It doesn't help that we have a shrinking middle class with a growing disparity between the rich and poor, or that not everyone who need mental medical attention gets it. We need to examine the whole picture thoroughly and admit what the actual cause is. That said, I do personally believe that stricter gun laws could benefit, but its a long-term effort in the sense that you need a cultural shift to occur first. That takes time.

I know there are a few people that will get access to guns no matter what, but that's the thing a few or maybe I could upgrade that to some.

At the same token you take a lot of guns off the streets it makes black market or whomever is selling prices skyrocket.

Some of these guys like the guy over in Colorado were just plain nuts and probably wasn't nothing to be done for them at all. I do know there are people who own guns on this forum, but even they got to admit this was just plain idiotic.

Master Guru
    Not all maniacs have the know-how for these types of things. Plus, they're far more difficult to control whereas with a gun you aim and shoot for the kill.

Who knows how the situation would have ended if the shooter didn't have any guns available.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord

I've seen those knifes, but can you get them locally or does it take a little more to get them?

Ultimate Veteran
    All you have to do with a knife is stab someone repeatedly with it. All you have to do with a car is drive it into a crowd of people. You have it wrong. A mentally-unstable person with an agenda is dangerous. It is the person, not the weapon.

30. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Master Guru
    All you have to do with a knife is stab someone repeatedly with it. All you have to do with a car is drive it into a crowd of people. You have it wrong. A mentally-unstable person with an agenda is dangerous. It is the person, not the weapon.
    Then tell me why the very similar Chinese incident "only" caused injuries whereas the American shooting literally took 27 lives. Coincidence? I don't think so.

In both cases there was a mentally unstable person at work.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Yet if I had a gun with 60 rounds inside I could have killed 30-40 people in a few seconds(aiming properly) VS THAT ONE KNIFE.

33. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post
    Yet if I had a gun with 60 rounds inside I could have killed 30-40 people in a few seconds(aiming properly) VS THAT ONE KNIFE.
    Exactly.

Someone could've intervened much quicker if he only had a knife available.

35. Likes Arimax likes this post

Thread Information