Master Guru
    Items User name style

Dark Souls II is 25% complete, may not make a 2013 release

Then if that's the case, why not make it for next gen

Dark Souls II detailed in Edge
    Miyazaki takes the back seat for new directors.
    December 15, 2012 / 10:52 AM EST / Sal Romano (@salromano)

The latest issue of Edge Magazine has the first preview of Namco Bandai and From Software’s recently announced Dark Souls II. The magazine staff saw a 10-minute playthrough of the game, which it describes as on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of graphics.

Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have previously directed the Another Century’s Episode series, will replace Hidetaka Miyazaki as the sequel’s new directors—a decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai to help move the series in a new direction.

“For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand newDark Souls experience,” reads the mag. “In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving.”

Miyazaki will still serve as a supervisor, but won’t be making any development decisions. He only reinforced the team’s commitment to releasing things on time, and suggested the revival of Demon’s Souls‘ server-based gameplay. He is currently keeping busy as director of a new project, which he can’t talk much about.

Dark Souls II will be a direct sequel to the first game, and have an open world about the same size, but with denser content. It is not set in Lodran, but the world’s name is key to the story, and will be revealed at a later point.
    Shibuya said he wants to make elements such as the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and the story and messages less subtle. He believes his experience on previous games will help enhance the game’s action. He also promises to include “hidden” elements in the world and story.

A fat, grotesque creature was shown. Shibuya said this is the result of a fusion between monsters by a mad scientist-like character in the game. A Nazgul-like black rider was also shown. He serves as an the executioner of evildoers. Shibuya confirmed the game will include some sort of Morality system.

Dark Souls II is currently 25 percent complete, and might not make a 2013 release. Development began in September last year, and boasts a team substantially larger than that of the first game. Internal staff for world creation has almost doubled.

Thanks, NeoGAF.

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I am so pumped. But I find myself wondering what project Miyazaki is working on...

Could it be a next-gen medieval fantasy title? One can dream.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    may be a next gen game if graphics with the other next gen ones. Just please please...PLEASE do not have another blightown FPS problem.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm little afraid now that there is new director but I'm still positive about this game. It's good thing that certain things are going to be more access able, like covenants. Darkwraith for example is just too stupidly hard, or Gravelord Covenant.
    I'm extremely interested hearing the name of the country now...
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    If it's not coming out in 2013, does that mean it will also come out for the Next-Gen consoles?

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    If it's not coming out in 2013, does that mean it will also come out for the Next-Gen consoles?
    I doubt it. The PS3's supposed 10-year lifecycle means you'll still see some developers releasing games for the platform.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    75% in one year feels kinda rushed doesnt it?

Master Guru
    Dark Souls II would be an awesome PS4 launch game.

9. Likes Marcsony likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    may be a next gen game if graphics with the other next gen ones. Just please please...PLEASE do not have another blightown FPS problem.
    This is the most overused complaint ever. Seriously, it wasn't nearly as bad as some people claimed.

Master Poster
    Great article, surprised to see that ds2 is gonna be competitive in terms of graphics, both demon and dark souls are average visually so I was perfectly fine with darksouls 2 being the same as the first game in visuals.
    Also I was right about tye directors quote being taken out of context XD I even suggested that he's referring to covenants and story being a little clearer in the VGA trailer thread.

Edit: I had no problems with blight town, I always thought people hated it because of falling off or the mood of it :P

Only area I had FPS issues were the rolling cats. Frame rate would turn to a slideshow XD
    Last edited by darksora; 12-15-2012 at 20:04.

12. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I doubt it. The PS3's supposed 10-year lifecycle means you'll still see some developers releasing games for the platform.
    Maybe a simultaneous release? No one knows at this point!

Veteran
    That gives me more time to play the first game and prepare for number 2.

Question...is Dark Souls the same game as Demons Souls? Or are they completely different?

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post

Question...is Dark Souls the same game as Demons Souls? Or are they completely different?
    Dark Souls is officially called the spiritual successor of Demon's Souls. However, both play very similarly.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover

Very very very similar gameplay. If you've played demons souls you'll feel at home.

And yeah take your time devs! Don't rush this baby. It would make a great PS4 game for sure

Via Tapatalk

Superior Member
    Disappointed somewhat, but still excited. The wait seems so long however, but there's plenty of great games coming out next year.

I wouldn't worry too much about the direction the series is headed. The team still knows what Dark Souls is at its core. They want to make it more understandable, and accessible, but all the while retaining the Souls formula and challenge. Miyazaki is the supervisor. It isn't like he doesn't have a say in anything regarding development.

Apprentice
    It's more worrying to me that he has taken a sum of money to step back from the series rather than making a clean decision, let alone not being involved.

It's also worrying that the guy who will be directing it is also responsible for games like Resident Evil Outbreak.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style

Yes. The difference is Dark Souls is open world, and Demon's is hub world.

The reason for the name change was that Demon's Souls was a PS3 exclusive, so they needed to change the name to make it multiplatform.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    It's more worrying to me that he has taken a sum of money to step back from the series rather than making a clean decision, let alone not being involved.

It's also worrying that the guy who will be directing it is also responsible for games like Resident Evil Outbreak.
    Um, he's working on a new IP, possibly for next-gen systems.

It's not like he just got bribed by his superiors to back off the series.

21. Likes darksora likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Mean time that knight artoris or whatever is owning me. Sorcery is to slow agianst him, pyro is a big chance, I am lost or do I need to do something first because I went right for him after I entered.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Thread Information