Master Guru
    Items User name style

Am I the only one who liked Star Ocean IV?

I'm seeing a lot of posts online from people who didn't like the game, starting to think I'm the only one who liked it

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    You probably aren't, but this game was just...............how should I put this.

Because I'd be lying if I said it was horrible, but I've never played a RPG or game period where the voice acting alone(and I did say this in another thread) derailed everything about the game.

I bought SO4 International for PS3 like two years ago summer 2011 if I remember, and once I met Lymle whatever the heck her name was game went extremely down hill from there. From all the Kay's(KAY!!!!!) to annoyance of Miracle and Sarah it was a huge cluster $#@! of craptastic voice acting(except Bacchus he was cool).

Couple that with the use of annoying anime cliche's, and just just just damn.

I got near the very end and gave up I couldn't take it anymore even switching to japanese voice acting didn't help they sounded just as annoying in fact it's the second worse Japanese voicing I've ever heard. \

The game had great overworlds(planets) and a awesome battle system, and the story might have been good, but I'll never know with that horrid acting.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The Japanese voice acting helped the PS3 version but other than that, probably the weakest in the series.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    This was my first Star Ocean game so I can't compare it to anything

Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asura View Post
    You should at least give Star Ocean: The Second Story a try. I've played all of the Star Oceans from the second one to the fourth. It'd be nice if Square Enix put it up over PSN, or at least, I don't think it's up yet.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Then there is that I played Star Ocean 3 first it was the better game to me, but I'll let you decide on that if you ever play it anytime in your life.

I will add as an edit that battle system between 3 and 4 are identical with a few differences.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I think SO1 and 2 are on PSN for PSP. I can't remember.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedos View Post
    You should at least give Star Ocean: The Second Story a try. I've played all of the Star Oceans from the second one to the fourth. It'd be nice if Square Enix put it up over PSN, or at least, I don't think it's up yet.
    Cool thanks, I used to see the Star Ocean titles in the store but didn't have enough money at the time to buy all the titles that looked interesting

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I think SO1 and 2 are on PSN for PSP. I can't remember.
    Nice, I'll take a look

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    The game was boring for me I played the original 360 version and I couldn't get into it the voice acting was terrible the characters where dull and there was no emotion when they spoke scenes the story just make any sense when it got to alternate earth it was just boring

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    The game was boring for me I played the original 360 version and I couldn't get into it the voice acting was terrible the characters where dull and there was no emotion when they spoke scenes the story just make any sense when it got to alternate earth it was just boring
    I played it first on 360 as well and thought same. When ps3 got their version and japanease voices it was so much better. Still was not the best star ocean but def not bad.......................kay! Lol
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    Lucky for me I missed out on the 360 version, dubbing sounds terribad

That aside though gameplay was nice for me, i'm probably going to play it again after I clear my backlog

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Okay so if I see this game and wanna pick it up ill get the PS3 version and have Japanese audio. Cheers

Via Tapatalk

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I remember playing some it on the ps3 thank goodness for Japanese dub option. I didn't hate the game I likes it.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Lucky for me I missed out on the 360 version, dubbing sounds terribad

That aside though gameplay was nice for me, i'm probably going to play it again after I clear my backlog
    Problem is both audio tracks are quite terrible I told you that in my first post, or maybe second.

@ Nakatomi UK

That's around the time it got bad for me as well at that point that part of the story was interesting keeping it afloat somewhat, but then Edge went into that extreme stupor which ultimately was the most overly melo-dramatic scenes ever. In fact they couldn't even sell those scenes to me what so ever.
    Last edited by Arimax; 12-16-2012 at 02:30.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Star Ocean: Till the end of time was my first Star Ocean, and ultimately my favourite. I had high hopes for four but I couldnt make it too far through it. I'm thinking about picking it up again for PS3 and retrying it.. but I dont know

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Star Ocean: Till the end of time was my first Star Ocean, and ultimately my favourite. I had high hopes for four but I couldnt make it too far through it. I'm thinking about picking it up again for PS3 and retrying it.. but I dont know

DON'T DO IT lol.

One reason I could see you getting it again is if you hate to leave games unfinished.

Superior Member

I thought it was good overall. The dialogue was made up for by decent game play and overall design. But, I think the game would have been much better for me if they had a replay value, like a new game plus, or multiple POV like in Star Ocean: The Second Story.

My one issue with SOIV would have to be the fact that it felt like there was very few explorable civilizations, even though it was practically the same as Till the End of Time, it just felt small. If there is a new SO, I'm hoping that it feels much bigger and wide spread with varied levels of civilization like medieval, modern, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post
    DON'T DO IT lol.

One reason I could see you getting it again is if you hate to leave games unfinished.
    Unfortunately, its too late. After I commented earlier I bid on a copy (As of posting, $7.27 with $10 shipping) and I'm still winning. So hopefully the tweaked (apparently?) battle system, menus, and japanese audio will fix whatever it was that I didnt like.

Noone likes to leave games unfinished, but it happens to me far more frequently then I'd care to admit. Infact I'm probably more of a collector then a gamer these days, I like to own the games more then play them.. lmfao
    Last edited by Fenix; 12-16-2012 at 17:11.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

19. Likes Shin Asura likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items User name style
    The soundtrack is amazing, listening to it right now

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Unfortunately, its too late. After I commented earlier I bid on a copy (As of posting, $7.27 with $10 shipping) and I'm still winning. So hopefully the tweaked (apparently?) battle system, menus, and japanese audio will fix whatever it was that I didnt like.

Noone likes to leave games unfinished, but it happens to me far more frequently then I'd care to admit. Infact I'm probably more of a collector then a gamer these days, I like to own the games more then play them.. lmfao

Gotcha to each his own, but the PS3 probably is the first console where I've left many games unfinished and never looked back.

GT5, FFXIII, SO4, and even some PSN bought games like Moon Diver(it's okay just got repetitive).

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Arimax View Post
    Gotcha to each his own, but the PS3 probably is the first console where I've left many games unfinished and never looked back.

GT5, FFXIII, SO4, and even some PSN bought games like Moon Diver(it's okay just got repetitive).
    Know what helps with FF13, pretending it is not a true FF title lol. I have been doing this since 7 and has made me enjoy the games, yet realize FF series in a true sense is dead.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Know what helps with FF13, pretending it is not a true FF title lol. I have been doing this since 7 and has made me enjoy the games, yet realize FF series in a true sense is dead.

It wouldn't have helped with or without that title in it's name the story was just...........can't figure out a word, and by the time I reached a certain point the linearity had gotten to me.

I know games like Uncharted are linear and what not, but it's not as bad as this game was. Like I knew FFXIII was a hallway because the story didn't keep me interested, and so other faults began to show up.

Thread Information