Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style

No more backwards capability?

During this generation, backwards capabilities was one of the prominent features for the current consoles. Seeing how each brand had their own way to process their precedent console games. It turns out no matter which way you look at it. You'll be stored with many games. Whether you'd rather trade-in, sell them (Ripping yourself off if you do that, my opinion lol.) or keep them as long as you live because you cherish what you own. In the next generation console, wouldn't it be a good idea if they had some sort of digital download code for you to own. Yes, I know there's already digital download for games now but I'm talking about something similar when you're buying a Blu-ray movie; you get the movie in three different formats including a dowload. Reason for this, you won't have to re-purchase the games, fall for an HD collection or something. So once you buy your game, you won't have to worry squandering your money.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A digital download code would e dumb why bother when everyone already owns the disk... Something was supposed to happen for that and the PSPgo and it didnt work out. By the time the PS4 comes out ill have likely almost 150 PS3 retail games... Sony wouldn't give me a code for them all and I wouldn't download them all what a waste of time and bandwidth when I own them already.

On another note It seems likely that it will be b/c with stuff bought off the PS Store.... But having only that and not for disks would be dumb.... Who knows. I like to see it but either way my PS3 isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DarkVincent07; 12-16-2012 at 06:18.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    A digital download code would e dumb why bother when everyone already owns the disk... Something was supposed to happen for that and the PSPgo and it didnt work out. By the time the PS4 comes out ill have likely almost 150 PS3 retail games... Sony wouldn't give me a code for them all and I wouldn't download them all what a waste of time and bandwidth when I own them already.

On another note It seems likely that it will be b/c with stuff bought off the PS Store.... But having only that and not for disks would be dumb.... Who knows. I like to see it but either way my PS3 isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Via Tapatalk

That's not what I meant lol, If you're buying the game from a disc, you should have code or some concept that will make sure you won't be re-purchasing the game. That's why it should start with the ps4 games because I doubt the ps5 will have backwards capbility with the ps3 or ps4 games. Just look at the PS3 slims for example. Now we're getting these HD collections...(its BS! HDMI made my ps2 games HD while playing on my 60gb)and of course they're not going to give you codes for games you already own but sooner or later you may like playing those games on a future console. By the way, this goes generally to Nintendo and Microsoft. I wouldn't mind about wasting time or bandwidth; download speed will keep on advancing when the technology is ready.

That's why I also mentioned about Blu-Ray packages because they also come with a regular DVD and digital download file for any mobile devices.

About Cloud, not sure how will that work out for now...

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    You won't need it probably, because Sony's gonna put its entire PS, PS2 and PS3 catalog on the cloud as part of next gens Instant Game Collection.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    im really expecting cloud gaming with the PS4 or whatever they call it. Hope to hear REAL news soon from SONY

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    You won't need it probably, because Sony's gonna put its entire PS, PS2 and PS3 catalog on the cloud as part of next gens Instant Game Collection.
    Yeah right

Via Tapatalk

You lost me at 'HDMI made my ps2 games HD' Wut lol

Via Tapatalk

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    You lost me at 'HDMI made my ps2 games HD' Wut lol

Via Tapatalk
    Think of it this way, do you own Nintendo consoles? Well, thanks to the Wii's Virtual Console you're able to download a lot of retro games and classics. Now that the Wii U isn't backwards capabable with Gamecube games, it'll be on the virtual console as well. When the Wii U2 (or whatever name Nintendo would put on) it won't be capatible with Wii games. Hence, Wii games will be sold online soon and same with Wii U games. Instead of purchasing the games twice just have some code to make sure you have the game and whenever there's a new console it'll secure a purchase when the game is released on the online market or if its already online. Reason for this concept is for the lack of backwards capability features existing at the moment.

And about the HDMI thing lol, I was playing my ps2 games on my ps3 while using an HDMI cable. These HD collection concept isn't too new I'd say besides the added quality.

Veteran
    Total backwards compatability isn't practical nor relevant anymore. A PS2 drive and PS1/3/4 drive isn't going to work if they want a good production cost...and digital services will be half-baked if console libraries aren't complete.

I personally think they should do what they tried with PS3 except do it right (PS3 drive in a PS4) because this time they have PSN for older legacy console games. If they can't do this, then they are stuck forcing everybody to be without luck on certain games being on their PS4 and re-downloading stuff that is available that they already own. Code vouchers are too messy of a solution, IMO, since it would be sensitive to hackers, who have already successfully cracked Sony's platforms every time.
    Last edited by Bio; 12-16-2012 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Total backwards compatability isn't practical nor relevant anymore. A PS2 drive and PS1/3/4 drive isn't going to work if they want a good production cost...and digital services will be half-baked if console libraries aren't complete.

I personally think they should do what they tried with PS3 except do it right (PS3 drive in a PS4) because this time they have PSN for older legacy console games. If they can't do this, then they are stuck forcing everybody to be without luck on certain games being on their PS4 and re-downloading stuff that is available that they already own. Code vouchers are too messy of a solution, IMO, since it would be sensitive to hackers, who have already successfully cracked Sony's platforms every time.
    Damn...I was going to reply to your last edit lol. That would be the only problem. Piracy and the Hackers. And that's why I mentioned the idea because total backwards capability isn't practical nor relevant. That's why they should start fresh with the ps4 games and avoid continue bringing some type of business such for example God of War 3 UltraViolet HD now for the ps4. I'm not saying they should give a code to everyone to download all of their old games but start a process that will benefits consumers to be allowed to play their games on a current hardware (that's why it should start with the ps4 games). We are already seeing it with ps1 and ps2 classics on the psn although they're also releasing it on the disc too 9HD collections). So if I'm buying it on the disc, I hope I can also download it from the online store too because that "disc" will probably won't be backwards capatible on a future console.

Now with the ps1 and ps2 classics being sold online. You won't have to worry about your original disc copy. Just whenever you like, download it again and erase it from your hard drive if its taking up space. And when I'm on my ps4, I'll be downloading it again on from the psn not worrying about the consoles backwards capability and I don't have to pay for it again because sony holds the psn accounts data.

I hope you guys know what I'm saying lol, I'm just bored at home...

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Its not that of a big issue for me, im fine with the absence of the backward compatibility.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't think I've used BC on any console this generation.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I don't think BC is really needed next gen.

Veteran
    Yeah, HD classics is counterproductive now that digital service is on the rise, but HD classics as they are now mainly serve as a temporary solution for a generation that's mostly based on physical distribution (discs). HD classics discs will still be here next generation, but with everybody wanting to store their games, I find it unlikely that they will continue them without some sort of digital ID.

And on that note, physical copies ought to be IDed across the board so people don't get shafted for buying a disc if they wanna store it into a new PlayStation later. It will allow us to ID our disc to our PS3, so once PS4 rolls around, we can ID our PS3 model number to our PS4 and PSN can trace the information back to the disc to prove we own it. This would require IDing our console to our PSN, too, which is protected by personal information. Theoretically, it could deter vouchers and be a safer way to prove our purchases (not to mention it could discourage used game purchases to a small degree).

This does nothing for older purchases, of course, since those discs have no ID in them, but at least it could pave the way towards absolute re-downloading at no extra cost in a safer manner. It's just a theory, though, so I might be wrong.
    Last edited by Bio; 12-16-2012 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I think the moral of the story is to keep your physical copies until you can download them. Paying for them twice sucks...but I'm starting to think it's the nature of physical-to-digital transitions. There was no account infrastructure in place when we bought physical copies, so I don't see any way that we can prove we have the game in a manner that is digital-friendly.

Maybe if they were able to let us ID our disc to our console (a one disc to one console thing), then it would be easier cuz then we'd just have to give them the console model number and PSN can trace back the information. I don't have a PS3 nor a PSN account so I dunno if anything like this is in place. Even if it was, though, it doesn't completely solve the issue since newly produced discs would be the only ones being IDed, meaning older disc purchases and used games aren't supported (used games is sketchy business, though, so I don't care much about that negative lol).

Anyway, if I were Sony, I would not want to resort to codes and keep trying to make alternate solutions for retro demands, such as pushing digital reproduction and making legacy consoles (i.e., PS3) as cheap as possible before jumping into the next generation.
    Guess they could make it like all stars, which registers the game to your PSN ID/Console,which when you do allows you to download the Vita version for free, if there was a way to do this with the previous Game ID's and Gaikai/Store which means any titles you already own you can access for free.

Thank you itachi

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Guess they could make it like all stars, which registers the game to your PSN ID/Console,which when you do allows you to download the Vita version for free, if there was a way to do this with the previous Game ID's and Gaikai/Store which means any titles you already own you can access for free.
    Now that you mentioned it, I had forgotten about that. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Although, the last time I heard something about this. It's going to be difficult for Sony to imply to this for some third party developers. This is one way moving into the future.

Superior Member

backwards compatibility would be great to have, but it has never been a deal breaker to me. If it isnt there i will fully understand the business side that led to the move.
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Personally, I could care less about BC. If I decide to sell my PS3, it is because I have moved on to something else. I do not think I have ever put a PS2 or a PS1 disc in my PS3.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Personally, I could care less about BC. If I decide to sell my PS3, it is because I have moved on to something else. I do not think I have ever put a PS2 or a PS1 disc in my PS3.
    That will depend on your current ps3 model.

Anyway, this isn't about backwards capability. It's going to get a point where you're just buying your games for a high price until on a later next console some will be buying those games again. Backwards Capability is going to be obsolete at a point. Starting with the ps4..."IF" the rumors hold true that they won't be backwards capatible.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by robvandam111 View Post
    That will depend on your current ps3 model.

Anyway, this isn't about backwards capability. It's going to get a point where you're just buying your games for a high price until on a later next console some will be buying those games again. Backwards Capability is going to be obsolete at a point. Starting with the ps4..."IF" the rumors hold true that they won't be backwards capatible.

Of course it depends on the model lol. Mine is a 60gb original model and I have never put in a PS1 or PS2 disc.

Because of the cell cpu on the PS3, I would almost guarantee that the PS4 will NOT play PS3 games.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I tried a few PS1 games in my PS3 and some didn't work properly Wipeout 3 sticks out as one of those games but cant remember the others. Wipeout 3 works perfect in my PS1.

It is going to be too costly to do in future consoles and emulation is buggy.
    Last edited by keefy; 12-17-2012 at 22:22.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    I'd like to have it as an option for people never got to enjoy games like Tomba, Tekken, and FF games just to name a few it's great.

I mean as of right now I'm playing one of the best RPG's experiences I've had with Persona 3 FES.

PSN ID
    shingi70
    Retail BC isn't important but lack of PSN BC could cripple the playstation marketshare.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post
    Retail BC isn't important but lack of PSN BC could cripple the playstation marketshare.

Yeah I've warmed up to the idea of download games of course assuming we get at least 5TB HDD's(seriously not kidding(that's if they try to make games like MGS4 DL))

PSN ID
    shingi70
    Yep I'm wearing thin on my 100GB 360 drive.

Its the same effect that mobile platforms have now and days.

If Sony kills off the Backwards compatability of PSN content that will hurt their relationship with developers and consumers. If that content is stuck on the PS3 consumers would be more likely to pick up an xbox and developers will probably hate their games being even more left behind than the wiiware debacle.

Thread Information