Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

New DUST 514 build: Chromosome (Updated with Dev Blog)

It is said that a journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step. Our destination is the undiscovered country where two separate gaming worlds not only share a vast sci-fi universe, but also connect in real time across two different platforms.

Unlike most traditional console games, DUST 514® will stay current for years after it launches. It will have constant development, content, and feature updates for years to come. To pull this off we have had to achieve the impossible: Build a system that allows both DUST 514 on the PS3® and EVE Online® on the PC to share core features and systems running on the same technology. All while crafting a top-notch, online multiplayer first-person shooter.

Additional game mode variations and environments

Creating something this ambitious requires technology we needed to build from scratch. We had to solve the technical challenges that allow efficient interaction between two games on two different platforms. If that wasn't enough, we also had to let them interact where the majority of the persistent systems are fully shared. This framework allows our development team to expand upon and enhance every feature and ounce of content in the game. What's more, our tech allows us to stream in content on the fly, reducing the need for patching and downtime.

We have done this not by seeking a shortcut to the ultimate destination on our journey, but rather by taking a series of carefully chosen steps along a path never before traveled.

And our latest build, Chromosome, is one of our most important steps to date.

The Building Blocks of Chromosome

Throughout the DUST 514 closed beta, we have made a series of important feature improvements and additions in our major updates. Chromosome is no exception. We've made significant changes to the progression system, the squad system, the fitting system, game modes and much, much more. We have also fused the markets from DUST 514 and EVE Online, and merged the in-game corporation mechanic, so that both trade and corporate alliances are now shared between the two.

The focus of the Chromosome release is about improving on our foundations. It is about getting the core engine and server infrastructure technologies stable and to improve drastically on the user experience. Below is a brief list (but not all) of the major technical achievements the development team has made during Chromosome:

We have crushed hundreds of bugs over the last few months. The inventory system is now location aware, which paves the way for the introduction of the secondary marketplace. Overall startup time of the client and server has been improved, and our item and attribute system has been altered to allow us to update EVE and DUST more independently than before. Performance has been greatly improved, eliminating engine stalls. Items have received a complete tuning pass, and vehicle physics has been much improved.

Coming soon: Flylock Pistol

One of the most unique features you will see in Chromosome, however, is the ability to request off-map support from players on our test servers in EVE Online. With this feature, DUST mercenaries will be able to coordinate devastating bombardments with EVE pilots in space ships in planetary orbit. These Orbital Bombardments have the capability to dramatically change the tide of battle, and we'll be testing them thoroughly in the weeks to come.

The above covers just a small portion of what we have improved during Chromosome. There is obviously a lot more to discover, so I invite you to download the update, dive back into the game, and give us your feedback.

The Journey Ahead
    Chromosome is our last build before DUST 514 goes into open beta, and it lays a strong foundation for some truly amazing changes and gameplay possibilities to come.

The development team is already underway on the next DUST 514 release. We will continue improving on existing systems, but this time around in a more noticeable way. The path you will take from login to battle see a near complete re-write, where the goal is to get you into the game as quickly and efficiently as possible. The spawn screen and deployment sequence will be made more informative and easier to use. You will also be seeing a number of new environments to play in, new dropsuits, new weapons and modules, and new vehicle roles. There is a lot to look forward in the next few months, and we will be amping up the frequency of our developer blogs to keep you informed of our progress, so stay tuned.

To those who are participating in the DUST 514 closed beta, we want to give you our sincere thanks for your fantastic support and constructive feedback (and patience) as we continue to improve all aspects of the game. We are on this journey together and we would not have been able to progress this far without you. None of this has ever been done before, and we are honored to be charting the farthest reaches of space together.

Atli Már Sveinsson (CCP Praetorian)
    Creative Director, DUST 514
    CCP Games
    CCP.

Wow, just booted up to checkout some stuff for the guide and found a massive update. Turns out to be a new build! It's 2.6 GB,I can't wait to see what's changed.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.a...16&find=unread patch notes on official forum. (can't post em here methinks )

I like the new intro...errr music.

Wow,and interesting change to assault rifles! The game feels A LOT nicer to control now.

OMGGGGG!!! It controls SO much better now! Ahhh...it feels a bit more like BF3 now...a bit...LOVE it.

Yeah, this is a very nice update. It isn't heavy on new content but there have been a HELL of a lot of nice changes made.

Weapon/item selection is way better now they have fixed the selection wheel. Makes being logistics so much easier. Logis got some nice bonuses in this build.
    Last edited by Ghost; 12-19-2012 at 18:57.

PSN ID
    OVERTHEHILL304
    Waiting until after 12 midnight to download update. 1 hour wait grrrrrrrrr

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by OVERTHEHILL304 View Post
    Waiting until after 12 midnight to download update. 1 hour wait grrrrrrrrr
    I hope you are up and running now. I'll be interested to read your thoughts on the update. Also,welcome to the forums!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    the update is awesome! games visuals and performance have improved exponentially.

the new controls feel better, but i'd only just gotten used to the old style
    i've reverted to spraying and praying
    back to 1/1 KD ratios for a while...

the performance leap is HUGE though. game stuttered like crazy when you tried to rush through menus before. game runs pretty much silky smooth.
    texture streaming also improved quite a bit. (which probably attributed to the aforementioned stuttering)

you could pass this off for the final build if you really wanted to

the scout class is a pain now. their quick speed and ability to use the shotgun and sniper for long and close range fights makes them way too
    overpowered.... especially with this new aiming they've implemented.
    heavies seem to have swung the other way.

now 80% of my deaths come from scouts
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 12-19-2012 at 16:33.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yeah the build is amazing. I was blown away by the upgrade to presentation and yeah, the controls are much better. I am having way more fun in game now. There are also WAY more logistics classes running around and they have made the support role as viable, if not more viable WP wise, than other roles. I usually stick with heavies with my repair tool.

My proper character, THE GREY CARDINAL, is moving along nicely with the increase to ISK payout and the good SP I've been earning as logi.

Couldn't be happier with the update and the state of the game right now, and it's only going to get better. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion there is more goodness in the not too distant future.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    those iron sights are doing my head in

i can't shoot $#@!!

for realz, before i could play for funsies and get decent stats. now, i lose every head to head battle, im being flanked endlessly by shotgun wielding scouts, and i actually need to concentrate playing a video game
    5 hours of soldering through this crap!

great update, but kinda unbalanced.

im being killed at range by a shotgun, my aim is that bad.

another niggle is the positioning of the sun. sweet jesus is this thing a handicap. twice now i couldn't see 20ft in front of me, at least give some shades ccp

but im liking how the maps are kinda dynamic now
    keeps things fresh!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I'm excite.
    Lets do this

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    urgh, these ironsights!

5 kills to 22 deaths!

no idea where the hell im aiming!

i would really like an option for scoped rifles

its not the zoom which i like, but the fixed point a scope provides. all the iron sight does is shift.

IRON SIGHTS ARE INACCURATE AS $#@!!!!!!

Ghost, i may just join you with logistics
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    My logistics fitting has an active scanner. I'm not 100% sure how to use it. Do you just point it in a general direction and it reveals enemies? cuz that's what it seems like sometimes

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    those iron sights are doing my head in

i can't shoot $#@!!

for realz, before i could play for funsies and get decent stats. now, i lose every head to head battle, im being flanked endlessly by shotgun wielding scouts, and i actually need to concentrate playing a video game
    5 hours of soldering through this crap!

great update, but kinda unbalanced.

im being killed at range by a shotgun, my aim is that bad.

another niggle is the positioning of the sun. sweet jesus is this thing a handicap. twice now i couldn't see 20ft in front of me, at least give some shades ccp

but im liking how the maps are kinda dynamic now
    keeps things fresh!
    Haha Yeah I have been flanked by scouts too. I just hear that wierd shot gun sound from behind...and yeah I played a level the other day and it had MASSIVE red glare. I kind of liked it though haha.

urgh, these ironsights!

5 kills to 22 deaths!

no idea where the hell im aiming!

i would really like an option for scoped rifles

its not the zoom which i like, but the fixed point a scope provides. all the iron sight does is shift.

IRON SIGHTS ARE INACCURATE AS $#@!!!!!!

Ghost, i may just join you with logistics
    Honestly, I'm not the best FPS guy, but I can be a badass logi and I help a lot in this regard. Even as a dropship pilot you can fulfill a healing logistics role

Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    My logistics fitting has an active scanner. I'm not 100% sure how to use it. Do you just point it in a general direction and it reveals enemies? cuz that's what it seems like sometimes
    I haven't played with that yet. I'll check it out and share any findings.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    I love how there is NO texture streaming now. Not even in spawn screen.
    On the other hand I'm doing like 3 kill 10 death now with iron sights

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I love how there is NO texture streaming now. Not even in spawn screen.
    On the other hand I'm doing like 3 kill 10 death now with iron sights
    There is mixed feelings about the iron sights on the official forums. I personally didn't like the scope at all, especially with the controls like they were.

The game looks a fair bit better though. Looking forward to the upcoming new content (probably January). It'll probably hit to coincide with the opening of the beta.

PSN ID
    zombfreak666
    woohoo for the iron sights went 18-5 in a match with 1500 wp and got 400k isk for my "troubles" only lost 20k isk that whole match :P this new build is awesome from the 3 matches ive played, the combat has found a nice even flow and now that the hit detection is working i dont get screwed, and i actually killed a guy with 13 shots :O heavies are vulnerable now that they can be killed with 45 rounds they have found a good balance here for sure

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I agree. before chromosome, I played Dust cause I loved everything about it bar the control...but I didn't enjoy it as much as i should because the controls were awful. This build took the feel and look of movement closer to BF3 (in my eyes, key word being 'closer' hehe). Now I play and enjoy to the fullest. I don't have a good K/D ratio however haha. That's cause I'm an objective kind of guy, as well as a logi. Logistics got a real nice deal in this build too with the WP. Reviving and repairing a merc can net you an easy 100WP All in all, it's badass. I can't wait for the beta release when we get the new weapons and match types.

It also looks way better now.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i agree with both of you, despite my inability to get to grips with it, i can still see that it is a much better game. worthy of holding its own against more established FPS names.
    i especially agree with theschizogenious, i can take on and kill a heavy now. its not easy, but it is possible. those things were gods of the battlefield pre update

i will be screwing around with all the sensitivities until i can get to grips with it

ghost, i've seen the amount of WP i have, but what does it do? and how do i know how much im getting?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Skill points

Aside from fattening up your wallet, every battle helps improve your clone through Skill Points. At the end of each battle, the war points you earned will be totaled and converted to SP. The better you perform, the higher the number of skill points you will receive.
    Currently, skill points gained in battle have diminishing returns, meaning that if you play a lot in the course of a week, you will earn fewer points towards the end. These diminishing returns currently reset every at downtime on Tuesdays. This is temporary, and we are working on a more flexible iteration of the skill system that will not hinder dedicated players or be exploitable by players looking for easy SP.

From the EU or US blog. WP is just another term for exp. You earn it from kills, healing, hacking etc. It is your contribution score, used to decide your reward for battle.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    oh yes, sorry ghost, i had a blonde moment

i seem to have partly resolved my kd ratio

recent matches:

10/4
    11/2
    16/3

these were in matches half full

the one full game i had closer to 1:1

getting better, but still requiring more concentration than i'd like

ccp better not release a "fix" after i put myself through all this hardship
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Haha My K/D ratio is disgusting. But, like it says on the merc quarter TV; Death is Obsolete. I am petty much a full support logistic, I just heal, rez, resupply and hack as much as I can. I don't get the glory of the K/D ratio when I play my way haha. I am the unsung hero. I'm going to try with Move and Sharpshooter soon.

PSN ID
    zombfreak666
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Skill points

Aside from fattening up your wallet, every battle helps improve your clone through Skill Points. At the end of each battle, the war points you earned will be totaled and converted to SP. The better you perform, the higher the number of skill points you will receive.
    Currently, skill points gained in battle have diminishing returns, meaning that if you play a lot in the course of a week, you will earn fewer points towards the end. These diminishing returns currently reset every at downtime on Tuesdays. This is temporary, and we are working on a more flexible iteration of the skill system that will not hinder dedicated players or be exploitable by players looking for easy SP.

From the EU or US blog. WP is just another term for exp. You earn it from kills, healing, hacking etc. It is your contribution score, used to decide your reward for battle.
    just to build on WP

think of warpoints right now as a reward not a kill streak reward but a teamwork reward, i say teamwork because while getting kills does give you war points the best way to get them is by hacking objectives and rezzing/ressupplying teammates. after your squad reaches a certain amount of warpoints the game will award an orbital bombardment (OB) to the squad leader. later on warpoints from what i understand will be used by the SL to request things like turrets or resupply's to be dropped in to help them attack or defend a position.

however you still need to pay for the stuff your calling in when you get to null sec which makes me think that the warpoints will be used in low-sec to ask for the above items from the npc factions.

oh and ghost i am an objective player its a requirement for my corp because we may not all be "uber-leets" but we will win the match through better communication and teamwork. my role that i have been doing is clearing the objective while my logibro who has an increased hack speed suit grabs the obj and then assist's me in clearing and securing the pos from nearby cru's or hostiles that spawned in during the hack.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    as its beta, im kind of a jack of all trades

i have variations of all infantry types.

soon, i will move onto testing the Vehicles.

dabbled a bit with the triage unit, but everyone hits 'respawn' faster than i can get to them.

calling in orbital strikes is fun though
    especially when your team is bogged down at an objective

as for my K/D ratio, im of the type to lead by example (or so i try ) as im always put as squad leader, i take it upon myself to push the hardest.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    as its beta, im kind of a jack of all trades

i have variations of all infantry types.

soon, i will move onto testing the Vehicles.

dabbled a bit with the triage unit, but everyone hits 'respawn' faster than i can get to them.

calling in orbital strikes is fun though
    especially when your team is bogged down at an objective

as for my K/D ratio, im of the type to lead by example (or so i try ) as im always put as squad leader, i take it upon myself to push the hardest.
    I havent figured out how to fight as a team yet despiute being in a corp lol The corp list doesn't seem to make things any easier, or show who is in a match etc. I would like to be logi!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I havent figured out how to fight as a team yet despiute being in a corp lol The corp list doesn't seem to make things any easier, or show who is in a match etc. I would like to be logi!
    i have no idea either

do we suit up in the corporation section or something, then go into battle?
    or is it a send invite once in battle?

i've tried both, i think im doing something wrong

right now im being put in battle with complete strangers "Who are these people"
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    The iron sights have grown on me. Its actually more easier to handle as they don't move around as much as the old scoped thing. Although they block you vision a lot.

Currently I'm building up SP since I used all of mine

Thread Information