Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Meh I'm still good with wwe13 idk if ill get 14 unless its drastically better than wwe13

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    so it's very official and all is up and ready to be bought

THQ Properties Up For Auction, Where Will Their Future Homes Be?By Mike Patuleia on January 8, 2013 at 4:49 am

It’s official, THQ is no more, well, it will be soon. On January 22nd, an auction will be held to sell off the intellectual properties, studios, and other assets of the publisher to the highest bidders on an individual title basis.This is the latest bit of bad news for the struggling publisher, who was recently de-listed from the Nasdaq, as THQ President Jason Rubin had wrote to fans in late December that a bid from Clearlake Capital Group would have committed additional ample capital to let them finish the games currently in

production, continue making games going forward. The plan would be for Clearlake to buy THQ as a whole for approximately 60 million dollars with a sale closing on January 9, 2013.As mentioned on our Primecast this week, a judge ruled that a quick sale to Clearlake would not be permitted, citing that the fast turnaround had pushed out other interested parties, as THQ did not even put out to the public that it was for sale.We know thanks to the bankruptcy documents filed at the end of 2012 that the following titles were in the pipeline:

Turtle Rock Studios: Working Title “Evolve”
    THQ Montreal: Working Title “1666″
    Relic Entertainment: Working Title “Atlas”
    Vigil Games: Working Title “Crawler”
    Volition Studios: Saints Row 4
    Relic Entertainment: Company of Heroes 2
    Crytek UK: Homefront 2
    Yukes: WWE ’14
    4A Games: Metro: Last Light

Obsidian: Southpark: The Stick of TruthTHQ also has the Darksiders and Warhammer 40,000 franchises.It has been reported that Electronic Arts, UbiSoft, Warner Brothers, and at least 2 other companies have been visiting these studios and assessing the titles for purchase, so it is once again time to fire up the Speculatron 9000 and see what the potential future of these games and their respective studios is.THQ STUDIOSVolition Studios: Obviously the big win here is Volition Studios & the Saints Row franchise. My hope for this studio would be going to Electronic Arts, as EA while they are one of the “big bad” corporations, they allow their

studios the freedom to design as long as they stay within budget and meet their deadlines, so this could give Saints Row a huge influx in budget while at the same time continuing them to let their freak flag fly higher than it already does. Volition is also home to the Red Faction series, that EA could benefit from.THQ Montreal: I believe that we will see UbiSoft make a bid for the studio that was allegedly poaching their employees in 2011, not for that reason, but just logistically it makes sense for them to buy THQ Montreal and absorb it and the upcoming title “1666″ into their own Montreal studio.Vigil Games: Home of The Darksiders franchise, I see this one going to Activision, they love themselves some sequels, and with Vigil working on a new IP with the working title of “Crawler”,

Activision has the cash to move forward with the risk of a new IP if it means Darksiders III comes out of Vigil next.Relic Entertainment: Company of Heroes and the Warhammer 40,000 franchises are sequel generating machines for the PC, so it’s sort of a no-brainer here that Microsoft takes in this studio and makes it one of their own.

OTHER TITLES
    South Park: The Stick of Truth: The future of this title puzzles me. It’s near completion, so obviously it will find a home somewhere, I’m just not entirely sure what publisher makes the most sense. Maybe Square Enix, since both Tomb Raider and this game are due out around the same time, so it would make sense for them to buy this and maybe push out the release by a month and increase profit of both games.Metro: Last Light: Another possible grab by Square Enix as they could benefit from having a solid FPS franchise in their system. This one could also go to Warner Brothers who, after acquiring the Mortal Kombat franchise,

are clearly no stranger to M-rated titles.WWE ’14: Quite honestly, I’d love to see EA pick this up and put it under their EA Sports franchises. Yes it’s not truly a sport, but with their acquisition of the UFC license from THQ last year, it makes sense for them to become the publisher for Yukes’ yearly iteration of wrestling games as well, and they sure do love adding the next year to a title.

Obviously, only time will tell in the near future where these studios and titles end up, let us know in the comments where you think they will end up and what your thoughts are on the latest publisher to go belly up in the industry. I for one don’t see this as a good thing and wish everyone at THQ best of luck in their future endeavors
    http://defaultprime.com/2013/01/08/t...ture-homes-be/

So Ms has thrown their hat into the ring for some IPs

EA Looking To Buy Ips From THQ

THQ troubles have been repeatedly reported during this week as the company went Bankrupt. The destiny of many of the company’s properties are still unknown: just yesterday it was reported by many news outlets that the company wanted to sell all its Ips together to a single buyer but interested parties like Warner Bros Entertainment are only looking to buy single Ips. In the end THQ has decided to hold a sale for all its Ips, selling each one of them separately.

Today some reports state that Electronic Arts is quite interested in some of THQ properties: EA representatives have completed site visits to asset the situation and are currently listed as potential buyers of some titles. The THQ properties for sale are quite a lot in number and have some good following on the market: the wrestling brand WWE, the open world series Saints Row, Company of Heroes and some more established franchises.

Some companies are apparently interested in another property of the company, the upcoming RPG South Park: The Stick Of Truth, still in development and another entry of the Saints Row series, still in production as well.

THQ filed for bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago and despite the troubles, they announced that titles in production would continue getting developed and eventually released but, judging from the most recent happenings, that will only happen thanks to other parties, interested in some of the most successful franchises owned by the company.

Related Posts
    THQ Has Bankruptcy Delayed

THQ Files Bankruptcy and Selling Off Assets

5.5 Million People Played Saints Row: The Third

Saints Row: The Third – The Full Package Coming Nov. 6

THQ Manages to Stay on NASDAQ

http://www.explosion.com/16381/ea-lo...-ips-from-thq/
    Last edited by claud3; 01-08-2013 at 15:11.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Elite

Now it's being reported that double fine is looking into the bankruptcy. Maybe they'll pick up some of the IP's no one wants anymore and turn them around.

El Presidente
    @claud Darksiders goes to Activision? That is a death sentence for that series.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Elite Member
    I liked WWE games but THQ failed to deliver on & off in recent years iv bought every title since PS1 & PS2 but no so many for PS3 only got 08 & 12 on that so if THQ lose the title then would Yukes work with EA?? in a way i dont want the title going to EA tbh with you!

because of the fact WWE & THQ got some issues now i thought Vince was the guy who choose the developer/publisher to makes its WWE Games! so how would THQ sell it off, how would this work exacly?

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by nextgen3 View Post
    I liked WWE games but THQ failed to deliver on & off in recent years iv bought every title since PS1 & PS2 but no so many for PS3 only got 08 & 12 on that so if THQ lose the title then would Yukes work with EA?? in a way i dont want the title going to EA tbh with you!

because of the fact WWE & THQ got some issues now i thought Vince was the guy who choose the developer/publisher to makes its WWE Games! so how would THQ sell it off, how would this work exacly?
    Don't know what happens. You'll have to watch and wait. For example, UFC's license was bought by EA but they didn't take the developers (they all for laid off) or the code. They're starting over with their own code. That could very well happen with WWE. Also, THQ owes Yukes money so they could be in trouble now too.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    @claud Darksiders goes to Activision? That is a death sentence for that series.
    we can all agree their, any company gets that series might or could screw this series up
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    junkies and the original creators of the wwe titles like No mercy, wrestlemania 2000 and WCW revenge

Would be still making the titles to this day, if all didn't go so tits up for them

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    we can all agree their, any company gets that series might or could screw this series up
    Considering that DS2 didn't sell well, even a DS3 that's not what you'd hope for is better than no DS3 which is a distinct possibility. Nintendo should buy Darksiders. They need more mature games and that can be their M rated Zelda. They could put some of the Zelda staff on it and it would be incredible. Pointless to consider I suppose since Nintendo doesn't seem interested in expanding their IP's.

10. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    man that makes sense, since Nintendo has the art style ability and brain cells to bring that series back to life under a new direction

Super Elite

For those that have a strong cup of coffee and feel like buying the "Destroy All Humans" IP or other dead IP for $1.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/119845249/...ing-Procedures

13. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    THQ mismanaged their content portfolio turning out knockoff junk like Homefront spending massive marketing budgets to hype them while holding so-called cult favorites like the Darksiders franchise to harsh sales standards -- games that would have done far better than cult status if they'd gotten fully behind them. This didn't matter while THQ had money rolling in from tie-in licenses but they lost that for exceptionally poor quality even for tie-ins. Many of the studios published by THQ did not deserve their publisher failing. But THQ management, yeah, they deserved to fail. They remind me a bit of Take Two if Take Two didn't have Rockstar.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    Wow. I'll be honest straight away and say that I only understood about 50% of what you wrote, but what I did understand I found very interesting, and is another reminder why I should relearn some business and stock market basics, because I seem to have forgotten most of it.
    It was a hard for me to understand exactly which parts of their actions were illegal, loop-hole legal or immoral but even the few things that I understood have opened my eyes a little more to the shenanigans of major video game publishers.
    I am guessing that this sort of thing is rampant in major companies and conglomerates though, not that it makes it any easier to swallow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    it's reported that all the parts of THQ is up and read y for many to buy up and it's a tight group of companies going hand over fist to get these parts

BELOW IS 1-9 PAGES ON WHO IS GOING TO BUY UP THQ

Going once. Going twice. Sold!THQ officially announced its bankruptcy and is going to be auctioning off its properties in late January. This means that the futures of its game series, like Darksiders, Company of Heroes, and Saints Row, are all up in the air. Some may never see the light of day again, but this is also the chance for these licenses to get a fresh start with a new publisher.

We don’t want to see any of THQ’s franchises abandoned and left out in the cold to die, so we’ve thought of some good homes where each series could grow and prosper. Hopefully these franchises get bought up and don’t simply disappear in the wake of all the business dealings. Either way, here are the publishers we hope will fork over the dough for our favorite THQ properties. Let the bidding begin.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/if-thq-fal...d-pick-pieces/
    Last edited by claud3; 01-16-2013 at 19:33.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Here is a mad mack look at how THQ's greatest games would look like in the hands of E.A

MAD MACK: HOW THQ’S GREATEST GAMES MIGHT LOOK IN THE HANDS OF EA

Next week, THQ’s most high-profile IPs will be auctioned off to the highest bidder – and EA are said to be one of the companies looking to pounce. Disgruntled gamer Dave ‘Mack’ McConkey imagines how the likes of Metro and Saints Row might ‘evolve’ if EA gets hold of them.

So despite talk of securing a last-minute buyer, it looks like THQ are going to go the way of the dinosaurs and enter administration, auction off their remaining assets and then call it a day. The ‘humble bundle’ efforts to raise capital have, unfortunately, failed.

Now, THQ have in their possession some really top quality games and IPs. I am no accountant, but it strikes me that if you are a company that has franchises as popular as Saints Row, Darksiders, Metro and Warhammer, then for you to go under you must mean you’ve been carrying on some seriously bad business and management practices. That said, who am I to judge? I was the assistant manager of my college bar for all of three weeks before getting the sack for drinking too much of the profits. So, you know, I am probably not the best person to be dishing out business advice.

Incidentally, now is a great time to invest in Eastern Poland

Regardless of the reason, THQ are going. But their franchises, fortunately, are not. They will be holding a ‘title by title’ auction on January 22nd to sell off their assets, and hopefully enable the games they currently have in development to be finished. Among the potential buyers are Ubisoft, Warner Entertainment, and my old nemesis: EA.

In my opinion, EA buying ANYTHING is always bad news. As I have said many, many times before in this column, I think of EA as absolute thundercunts who have been guilty of some of the greatest offenses towards gamers since ET. Personally, I anticipate that they will walk away with some of THQ’s best franchises and absolutely $#@! them to within an inch of their lives.

Based on recent EA form, I have had a look at THQ’s big franchises and pondered what the future might hold for them in EA’s not-so-capable hands…

Metro Series
    Metro: 2033 was one of the most underrated games ever released. It had amazing game mechanics, oppressive environments and a compelling storyline. All us fans were (rightly) eagerly awaiting the release of Metro: Last Light; not least because it has been written in conjunction with the book-series author Dimitry Glukhovsky (note that this is not the game adaptation of Metro: 2034, the sequel to the 2033 novel, but is still the sequel to the 2033 game – you follow?).
    Last Light is pretty much there in terms of development, but what can we expect from the series under EA’s tutelage? In a word: ‘budget’.

"We can't invest precious resources if we want to maintain our 'make it rain' shareholder parties"

Budget everything. Budget gameplay, budget design, budget effects, budget sounds, budget acting, budget writing and budget mechanics. You will see this game lose all of its unique charm and character and go from being an action/survival horror, to a generic budget shooter that appears on the shelves one week and is gone the next.

Warhammer: Dawn of War
    THQ have done a great job of capturing the feel of the small-scale tactical engagements you see in your average Warhammer: 40K game – the troop engagements and multiple strategic options for dealing with a given scenario (including my favourite ‘build as many of the biggest thing possible and hit attack/move all the way across the map’ – I am not good at strategy), and no doubt EA will see this as some sort of insult:

‘So you are telling me a game about space marines and orcs and $#@!, set in the future, isn’t a first-person shooter?’
    ‘Yep.’
    ‘Get. The. $#@!. Out.’
    A few phone calls later and ‘Dawn of War III’ is the latest IP that EA have FPS-ised.

Do you see? Do you?

Saints Row
    I must confess that I have not yet gotten round to playing Saints Row 3 – despite having purchased it in the Humble Bundle – so I cannot say this with absolute confidence. But it seems to me that the Saints Row franchise is what GTA would be if GTA had spent a lot of its formative years huffing paint and hanging around with Hunter S. Thompson. It has lots of the usual ultraviolence you would expect of a GTA-style sandbox game, but also lots of $#@!-shaped swords, giant cat heads, jet packs, lasers and a whole heap of other insanity.

Including the fabled ‘Hooker Cannon’

However, ‘insanity’ in games does not go over well with focus groups, so I would suggest that Saints Row 4 according to EA will be a third-person shooter, possibly with an online co-op aspect (local co-op does not feature in the EA lexicon,

as that means that gamers only need to buy one copy to play it). Basically, think ‘Army of Two’ but in a city. And with some tokenistic attempts at slapstick or $#@!-themed humour. But not too much. Oh no. Perish the thought that you release a game for 18+ or Adults Only, and then can’t sell it in Walmart – you $#@!ing sell-out pigs.
    Company of Heroes

Medal of Honour. They might keep some element of squad level play, and call it a ‘tactical squad-based shooter’, but I will bet my left nut that if EA buy the CoH rights, the franchise will be yet another WWII shooter-fest before next Christmas.

And you know, it has been some time since we had a WWII shooter. What, with COD, MoH and the BF franchises moving away from the WWII setting, why, there is a whole generation of gamers out there who have no idea what it was like to drop into Normandy, or storm the beaches of Normandy, or launch commando raids in Normandy, or even know what to do if you ever find yourself lost in Normandy! EA have the perfect opportunity on their hands right now to bring WWII to life in a way that no one has ever seen before – in 3D!

Apparently, 3D technology actually reduces intelligence

It is really great to live in the future.
    South Park
    So, you like the glorious juxtaposition of adult and juvenile humour that South Park offers? You like how it is uncompromising in ridiculing, well, everything? How it has not bowed to corporate pressure to tone the humour down or leave some topics alone as sacred? Or how they seem to really get to the meat of some really topical and controversial issues?

Like this guy, who is a whole host of issues all by his self.

Yeah, well you can forget that. Because that $#@! does not fly in the EA corporate HQ. What you can expect is for the game to get cancelled when the creators tell EA to go $#@! themselves after being told to censor the game or tone it down in search of that all-important age rating.

Of course, this is all a fairly pessimistic look at what might happen to the THQ franchises. For all we know, Ubisoft will be the main winners, in which case Metro will be remade into a stealth-based thriller; Warhammer will be made into a realistic battle sim; Saints Row will be recrafted into a parkour-driven gangster game; Company of Heroes will be a tactical squad shooter, with vehicles and $#@!; and South Park will be an open-world FPS. And that would be…well, that might not be so bad actually!

This, but with Titans. And Space Marines
    http://www.fmvmagazine.com/?p=14657

Super Elite

FYI: South Park is actually funded by Viacom. They chose Obsidian as the developer and they're funding the game's development. Viacom also chose THQ as the publisher. I'm not sure exactly what part of South Park THQ can sell but MAYBE they can sell the publishing rights though I'm not completely sure on that.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    this is all just news and can change over the next course of 3 months, from there

the placement of series will be divided between others

Hopefully Darksiders franchise and the new Metro game survives. Imo Metro looks far better than Aliens

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by AmigaEngine View Post
    Hopefully Darksiders franchise and the new Metro game survives. Imo Metro looks far better than Aliens
    I liked Metro2033 quite a lot.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Metro 2033 and Last night are really important games and that series needs to survive, because it would be a freaking shame. If this series disappears now

because it could and has turned out to be very special

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    We still don't know which franchises are going up for sale in the auction on January 22nd. But, I was scheduled to attend and cover a Metro: Last Light event for PSU in San Francisco a couple days ago. The event was cancelled, with very little advance notice.

There's a good chance that one of two things are about to happen: the Metro franchise will be sold at auction, and/or Last Light is cancelled/indefinitely postponed.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    here is something funny, what if Rockstar got the WWE contract

25. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    We still don't know which franchises are going up for sale in the auction on January 22nd. But, I was scheduled to attend and cover a Metro: Last Light event for PSU in San Francisco a couple days ago. The event was cancelled, with very little advance notice.

There's a good chance that one of two things are about to happen: the Metro franchise will be sold at auction, and/or Last Light is cancelled/indefinitely postponed.
    I teared up when i read that part lol. maybe Guerilla should step up and buy that franchise. Would be a excellent alternative to the KZ franchise.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    The metro series was an excellent game and yet it is getting screwed. Because there is no other company that can improve what is not broken

The series will be ruined now, if bought up buy another

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I'm hoping the Darksiders series will survive, it should do as it's been quite successful

Thread Information