Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Bill O’Reilly Talks About Video Games and Violence and Ends Up Being Somewhat Reasona

Bill O’Reilly Talks About Video Games and Violence and Ends Up Being Somewhat Reasonable About It All

Owen Good

Bill O'Reilly has made a great living as Fox News Channel's national scold for the past 15 years, with video games among many targets in his campaign of cultural warfare. So at the beginning of this segment on his program last night, when he smugly diagnoses Adam Lanza, the Newtown, Conn. shooter, as a violent video game addict—"How did I know that? One look at the guy,"—most folks would think they know where he's headed.
    Except he doesn't go there, really. An academic comes on to talk about whatever the latest studies are saying about children, violent video games and aggressive behavior, and scenes fromCall of Duty: Black Ops II and Assassin's Creed III play on the screen, and O'Reilly plays the skeptic, of all things.
    "I know lots of kids who play these games, they're good kids," O'Reilly says. "They're normal, they don't act out, they don't do anything destructive, but they love the games. And the reason they love the games is because it empowers the children. Children are in control. Children are killing the bad guys. The thrill of the kill is right there in front of their face. But then they go out and they're kind, loving children. So I don't think everybody who plays these games are adversely affected by them. Would that be true?"
    It gets the on-air expert to admit "violent and aggressive behavior is determined by many factors. Exposure to violent media is only one."
    It's not entirely an about-face but, by the standard to which O'Reilly is often held anyway, it's a balanced discussion. Not everyone who plays these games does so to indulge or surpress a desire to commit murder. Behind every child with access to violent content is often a parent who lets it happen. Good parenting is a responsibility but not something that can be legislated.
    We've written earlier that a fixation on video games as a cultural influencer of violent crime is unproven and often politically motivated. It may still be here, as O'Reilly's segment pulls a consistent thread of personal responsibility, which would seem to argue that dangerous weapons in the hands of well adjusted people who had good upbringings are no more dangerous than fake guns fired by any apple-cheeked kid with a twin-analog controller. The two situations really are not at all comparable.

Still, if the far right is going to hang the Newtown shootings on social decay tied solely to video games, O'Reilly—who has given that segment a megaphone for the better part of two decades—doesn't sound like he's going to give that much of an endorsement. That's a big step as the country tries to sort out its real problems over the noise of special interest groups.
    this has to be a joke

Video on the site
    http://kotaku.com/5970312/bill-oreil...e-about-it-all
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage

There's a reason why he was more cordial than usual. It's because unlike his other audiences, gamers and hackers would make his life unpleasant to say the least. We're the only segment of the population and viewership, that doesn't take unwarranted attacks on us as a whole, lying down like little $#@!es. He had no choice but to be cordial or Anonymous would have ripped him a new one.

3. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Kratos needs to show this guy no mercy...

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    who the hell watches Bill O'Reilly??
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

6. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    You be surprised that some actually believe to be the seconding coming.. Others like me

Thinks he is just a guy in a room, trying to get out
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    It's true, videogames cause violence, Congress said so! No, wait, I think they said it was heavy-metal music. No, marijuana. Or maybe it was sex? OH! Got it! It was Elvis Presley! That's right! Or was it EC horror comics?...

Shut up and play games

Elite Guru
    In other news, thought causes violence. Governments around the world are poised to ban thought of any kind. Thought is dangerous. Don't think. You'll only hurt yourself, and others.

For god's sake, think about the children! No, don't! That's what got us here in the first place! Aaaargh!

tl;dr - Sarcastic response to pot shot at an easy target for the ignorant.

10. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Sarcasm will get you far

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    O'reilly is a dack lacka! I can't stand that guy this whole blame video games escape goat is ridiculous already blame the parents!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

13. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Elite Member
    Video games are not the problem unless the person has a mental disorder. I've been playing violent video games for a very long time and I wouldn't commit an act of violence, because I have the common sense not to. People with mental disorders or taking medication for a mental issue should not be allowed to do play violent games, buy guns, or many other things. They need to make a national list for people with mental disorders or taking those medications that is can be viewed by anyone.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    O'Reilly is a flip flopper on some issues we know for a fact, he knows nothing about.

But on this yes he makes some sense, but come on gamers know better

Dedicated Member
    The funniest part of this whole Newtown incident is the NRA blaming games like CoD and Bulletstorm for gun violence. The NRA itself gives it's guns for replication in games, but hypocrisy is something that is expected of them so no surprise there. It's hilarious how 'games+crazy person = mass murderer' and never 'access to guns+crazy person = mass murderer'. I guess reason isn't as good for viewership as some good ol' fashioned sensationalism.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    As I have stated in the elementary shooting thread, that the NRA have an influence beyond anyone can imagine

Thread Information