Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 10 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Big budget titles: PS3 vs 360. MS fails making new i.ps profitable outside of Gears

What's being discussed is titles that generate a profit(big or small) which ultimately decides a sequel/prequel. Please stick to that topic.

Microsoft's exclusives that received sequels/prequels are gears(new i.p), halo, fable, forza. That's 1 new i.p over a 7 year span. Correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't add alan wake because the 360 didn't make that a profitable series. It only became profitable once they released the PC version.

Sony's exclusives that received sequels/prequels. Infamous(new i.p.), Killzone, Little big planet(new i.p.), God of War, Resistance(new i.p.), Yakuza, gran turisimo, Uncharted(new i.p.), MLB: The show, Motorstorm(new i.p.), Ratchet & Clank, Heavy Rain(new i.p.). That's 6 new i.ps over a 6 year span. Expand that to 7 years and the list shoots up to 8 i.ps(possibly 10) given that The last of us and Beyond:Two souls are 2013 titles and Gurilla games and Sucker punch are making a new i.p(likely ps4 titles)

Say what you want about Sony but they have obviously found some kind of success in this area where MS hasn't. MS dropped the ball big time when it comes to this discussed area.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Crackdown is a new ip this gen and got a sequel (that flopped). I consider Horizon a new ip (despite using the Forza name)but that game has also flopped so far. So Gears would be the only profitable new ip but the number of new ips period would be 4. AW,Crackdown,Gears and Horizon. 3 out of 4 of those flopped. So yeah to point out Sony for making games "nobody buys" while praising the retail success of 360 exclusives is a bit disingenous.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-24-2012 at 22:47.

3. Likes Fijiandoce, Ghost wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Crackdown is a new ip this gen and got a sequel (that flopped). I consider Horizon a new ip (despite using the Forza name)but that game has also flopped so far. So Gears would be the only profitable new ip but the number of new ips period would be 4. AW,Crackdown,Gears and Horizon. 3 out of 4 of those flopped. So yeah to point out Sony for making games "nobody buys" while praising the retail success of 360 exclusives is a bit disingenous.
    I agree. There is often a lot of cherry picking in those discussions.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Sony is MUCH more willing to take risks. The 360 has ended up with some good exclusives but even if Sony ones don't sell THAT well, they still seem to give them a good chance

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Forum Sage
    Yeah, lets ignore Mass Effect which would have probably have gone nowhere if it wasn't for MS backing bioware.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I agree. There is often a lot of cherry picking in those discussions.
    Agreed. And at the end of the day I enjoy both consoles for what they give me. I win as a gamer.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Yeah, lets ignore Mass Effect which would have probably have gone nowhere if it wasn't for MS backing bioware.
    A valid point and as it turned out ME2 and ME3 hardly sold on PS3 and ME3 sold 4 times as many copies on the 360.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    A valid point and as it turned out ME2 and ME3 hardly sold on PS3 and ME3 sold 4 times as many copies on the 360.
    To be expected when a game is heavily associated with the other console first.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    To be expected when a game is heavily associated with the other console first.
    Which really drives home the point Matrix made.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think MS could have made plenty of profitable IPs had it wished. All that was required is abit of risk taking and investment. MS saw that they weren't needed to sell the console however, so opted to invest in things that would appeal to demographics outside of core gaming.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Sony took more shots, so had more hits. Imagine if MS worked on things in the same spirit as TLOU and Beyond; spirit being key word...I mean new IP that is aggressive in its advancement and unique in character i.e not generic 3rd person shooters, FPS etc. I don't get it...MS seemingly has the most fertile soil and it chooses not to sow any seeds.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I think MS could have made plenty of profitable IPs had it wished. All that was required is abit of risk taking and investment. MS saw that they weren't needed to sell the console however, so opted to invest in things that would appeal to demographics outside of core gaming.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Sony took more shots, so had more hits. Imagine if MS worked on things in the same spirit as TLOU and Beyond; spirit being key word...I mean new IP that is aggressive in its advancement and unique in character i.e not generic 3rd person shooters, FPS etc. I don't get it...MS seemingly has the most fertile soil and it chooses not to sow any seeds.
    Yeah their strategy seems to be to start a generation with strong exclusives which is when its most important and then let 3rd party dominate in the last half when having more exclusives isnt as important. The thing is that MS is sitting on alot of good existing ips but isnt doing anything with them.

Forum Sage

I think you are missing the bigger picture.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    True but I'd say Sony is definitely lacking on the new IPs this gen also compared to previous gens (wheres all the Sony RPGs this gen? they had a ton of 1P/2P RPGs on the PS1).
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Soldier 95B
    Where have you all found the info that says which title is profitable? I googled to no avail.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I haven't found and solid facts that support the argument in favor of either opinion

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

17. Likes mistercrow, mynd wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I love how Sony takes risks, however, MS doesn't have to take many risks apparently. They're doing well so they don't need it
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 12-26-2012 at 12:01. Reason: change M$ to MS

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

PSN ID
    shingi70
    Crackdown
    Horizon sub series
    Lost Odyessy
    Blue Dragon
    Alan Wake
    Ninety nine nights
    Ninja blade
    Kinect sports
    Kinect adventure

Not to mention XBLA but this thread is about big budget titles

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

PSN ID
    shingi70

Well you pretty much just said why they stopped.

Microsoft during the middle and tail end of this console vyvlred focused on three major aspects

1)Big Tent Pole releases
    2)Kinect and Services
    3)XBLA

The big tent pole releases are titles like Halo, gears, and forza brands that everyone knows and usually sell pretty well.

2)There was also a major push on kinect and services. Whereas Sony failed with the move Microsoft was able to grab the Wii market with kinect. This allowed them to grab a ton of non gamers and build up a pretty intense software ecosystem and getting even core developers to build on it. They also focused on services like no other getting stuff like HBO GO and WatchESPN. They also have delved into livestreaming with (E3, democratic and republic conventions, debates, election results and the VGAs).

All of that has gotten Microsoft a bigger audience than it would with just investing in gaming. I know several non gamers who are buying 360s for the various non gaming purposes. (Watchespn, smart glass, kinect TV, Nike+ fitness)

This video says it all on what Microsoft's goal is and have been working on for a while where others will have to play catch up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ld...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuZh...e_gdata_player

3)While Microsoft has stopped with big retail new IP they have embraced their download platform and fund and publishers a variety of different games of original IP and ideas. They have embraced their download platform in a way that Sony uses retail for.

Also there are still new IP from Microsoft like the Kinect TV series and its evident by job postings that most of their development studios have gone through re hauls and are working on next gen as well s windows phone and windows 8.

Also as much as I hear about Microsoft not trying anything new from a pure tech and interface perspective Kinect and most importantly the WO way TV are ahead and more creative than anything Sony has done. Though its aimed at kids its an avenue that has a brought future and is an evolution of Kate and Milo. The way their packaging the content is also pretty interesting'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqKc...e_gdata_player
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q0R...e_gdata_player
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkJq...e_gdata_player

21. Likes mistercrow, Yungstar 2006 wishes they had posted this first.
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    We ignoring Viva Pinata franchise which spawned a TV series and 2 sequels?

Sony's exclusives that received sequels/prequels. Infamous(new i.p.), Killzone, Little big planet(new i.p.), God of War, Resistance(new i.p.), Yakuza, gran turisimo, Uncharted(new i.p.), MLB: The show, Motorstorm(new i.p.), Ratchet & Clank, Heavy Rain(new i.p.)
    Gran Turismo? WTF? If thtas get in you list then so does Halo, Halo Wars, PGR 3 & 4, meh.
    Motostorm, was and always has been a flop, it ruined the makers.

What you consider games that got sequels as being a defining factor of their success, is completely untrue.
    You have zero proof any or all of any of those games actually made money,

And considering Sony has been loosing money this entire generations (sporadic profits aside), wheres your proof?

How new studios has Sony opened up recently?

None.
    How many have they closed?

Tonnes.

Proofs in the pudding and all that.

Trying to prove Sony has made money out of games is an impossible task.
    Last edited by mynd; 12-25-2012 at 06:39.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    I haven't found and solid facts that support the argument in favor of either opinion
    And you propably never will because tbh neither side has any solid proof of their argument. We're all just basically speculating here for the most part.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    lol Pretty much this^^.

Ancient
    One of the problems with Gears is its a 2nd party game
    MS don't get all the dues they would get if iy was first party

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Say what you want about Sony but they have obviously found some kind of success in this area where MS hasn't. MS dropped the ball big time when it comes to this discussed area.
    Halo 3 has outsold Resistance 1 + 2, Uncharted 1+2, Killzone 2 and God of War III COMBINED ... wow," boasts the Microsoft demagogue.
    just saying..

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post
    Crackdown
    Horizon sub series
    Lost Odyessy
    Blue Dragon
    Alan Wake
    Ninety nine nights
    Ninja blade
    Kinect sports
    Kinect adventure

Not to mention XBLA but this thread is about big budget titles

of course its about big budget tittles, its the only way he could help make his point. a bit like when Sony add PS2 sales to PS3 to make it look better.

28. Likes mistercrow wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    I love how Sony takes risks
    Agreed!

Some of their best games this gen have been games under the radar or games that no one buys

Thread Information