Latest PSU headlines:

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style

GPU-Switching Technology Patented By Sony

http://segmentnext.com/2012/12/21/ps...ented-by-sony/

It’s good to finally read something about Sony’s next-generation console. For a while now we’ve been hearing reports or rumors for Microsoft’s new device. This proved to be a good change.
    A user on NeoGAF has spotted a recent patent filed by Sony for “Dynamic Context Switching Between Architecturally Distinct GPUs.”
    The general abstract of the patent reads:

Graphics processing in a computer graphics apparatus having architecturally dissimilar first and second graphics processing units (GPU) is disclosed. Graphics input is produced in a format having an architecture-neutral display list. One or more instructions in the architecture neutral display list are translated into GPU instructions in an architecture specific format for an active GPU of the first and second GPU.

Sony’s new patent suggests that the PS4 will have two distinct GPUs which will work in harmony, allowing the system to balance the load while processing games with powerful graphical content.
    In simpler words, the technology will switch between each GPU when demanded. In practice it would switch to let’s say the first GPU for low-power consumption, that is for normal content; but will tag in the more powerful dedicated GPU for demanding content.

In my opinion this is pretty interesting.

2. Likes daLa wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Wouldn't that leave us with one GPU for gaming only? and it has a dual GPU, my guess the GPU left for gaming will not be that powerful. But that's just what I'm thinking.

Dedicated Member
    Well you could end up with 2 mid ranged gpu's and the second will be called upon when needed.. instead of having a more expensive single high end gpu that would actually be slower when compared to the two
    Six Years With PSU!~ Favourite Games of all Time~ Smash Bros, Spyro, GTA series and Elder Scrolls Series
    Add me on PSN FOXY007 OR Steam psn_foxy007
    My Hardware~ Sony Bravia 240hz 3D 40".. Ps3 Slim250gig and Sony Bravia Surround Sound 5.1
    PC- i7 3930k|gtx670|8g ram|2T HDD|Bluray disc drive

5. Likes Bigdoggy wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    This is kind of pointless. makes sense for laptops which run off batteries and have finite runtimes. Not so for something plugged into the wall.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    This feature is so useless for desktops and consoles.

Perhaps a 7660D or similar inside an APU, crossfired with a higher end (maybe 88xx) discrete GPU?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    This is kind of pointless. makes sense for laptops which run off batteries and have finite runtimes. Not so for something plugged into the wall.
    Not true...if they have a lower powered GPU it would produce less heat which would require less cooling and product less noise...ever have a first gen PS3 fan ramp up to full speed in the middle of a blu-ray movie? I have, and it sucks! I also don't see why both couldn't work in tandem on bigger games, using the lower powered one for physics while the faster GPU takes care of other stuff, but those are just my thoughts...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    My exact thoughts. I don't see the point in it but maybe (most likely) Sony know why it is needed.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Not true...if they have a lower powered GPU it would produce less heat which would require less cooling and product less noise...ever have a first gen PS3 fan ramp up to full speed in the middle of a blu-ray movie? I have, and it sucks! I also don't see why both couldn't work in tandem on bigger games, using the lower powered one for physics while the faster GPU takes care of other stuff, but those are just my thoughts...
    That would be the case by default due to advancements in GPU design and manufacture.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    There is soemthing similar already isnt there? but didnt seem to work well.
    I hear of people only getting 15FPS in some games yet their GPU is more than capabale of 60FPS and it turns out the softwre/BIOS or whatever didn't switch to the "gaming" GPU automatically and instead run the game on the Intel chip on the CPU.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Forum Guru
    I find the "architecture neutral" list more interesting than the idea of having 2 GPUs. Perhaps makes porting easier and coding in general easier.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    There is soemthing similar already isnt there? but didnt seem to work well.
    I hear of people only getting 15FPS in some games yet their GPU is more than capabale of 60FPS and it turns out the softwre/BIOS or whatever didn't switch to the "gaming" GPU automatically and instead run the game on the Intel chip on the CPU.
    This is the issue which i experience a lot with my x51 and it pisses me really off. Sometimes the game launches with the integrated intel gpu and not the gtx 555 which is the main gpu, if that happens i have to change manually using the configurator to launch that certain application with the nvidia gtx555.

PSN ID
    Rodrigo-Filipino
    I seriously cant wait for the PS4. Can you imagine the resolution for the next gen consoles?! The graphics will be better than real life haha
    No advertising allowed.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by RoDRiGo-FiLiPiNo View Post
    I seriously cant wait for the PS4. Can you imagine the resolution for the next gen consoles?! The graphics will be better than real life haha
    720p mostly
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

Thread Information