Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Sony = sadist because they launched a console a year late, priced it at $600, and gave it the most difficult CPU architecture known to man.
    Sony created a new processor that was nothing more than what developers were eventually going to be dealing with on PCs in a couple of years with multi-core development. So the argument about the difficulty in developing for it was pointless by the 3rd year after it was released when companies were releasing Intel dual-core and quad-core PCs (heck even the 360 is technically a dual core just not as sophisticated and has a modified PC structure that was more familiar looking to lazy developers). As for the $600 price tag, if people can justify paying 500 bucks for an iphone, the PS3 was easily worth the money at the time but sony just didn't know how to properly market it. When half the intended consumer base still didnt know exactly what their fancy futuristic premium machine was capable of more than a year after it was released you have a marketing problem.

As for MS they have the "Games for Windows" brand which is essentially a software xbox live, so as long as developers have that on their game box MS still sees money. In fact they could easily have stayed OUT of the console business entirely and simply developed a gaming environment within all PCs similar to steam and or even what they're doing now with Win 8, saving themselves a lot of trouble, but the xbox exists for no other reason that Bill Gate's ego and his monopolistic mindset to crush every industry he didn't already control, he specifically wanted to take over console gaming and he couldn't do that from the PC, so he disguised a PC as a console.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
    Sony created a new processor that was nothing more than what developers were eventually going to be dealing with on PCs in a couple of years with multi-core development. So the argument about the difficulty in developing for it was pointless by the 3rd year after it was released when companies were releasing Intel dual-core and quad-core PCs (heck even the 360 is technically a dual core just not as sophisticated and has a modified PC structure that was more familiar looking to lazy developers). As for the $600 price tag, if people can justify paying 500 bucks for an iphone, the PS3 was easily worth the money at the time but sony just didn't know how to properly market it. When half the intended consumer base still didnt know exactly what their fancy futuristic premium machine was capable of more than a year after it was released you have a marketing problem.

As for MS they have the "Games for Windows" brand which is essentially a software xbox live, so as long as developers have that on their game box MS still sees money. In fact they could easily have stayed OUT of the console business entirely and simply developed a gaming environment within all PCs similar to steam and or even what they're doing now with Win 8, saving themselves a lot of trouble, but the xbox exists for no other reason that Bill Gate's ego and his monopolistic mindset to crush every industry he didn't already control, he specifically wanted to take over console gaming and he couldn't do that from the PC, so he disguised a PC as a console.
    Show me a company that doesn't want to dominate and be a monopoly in its field.

MS is that in the software industry, Sony used to be that in console gaming and Electronics when they were one of the few reliable brands, Apple is that in the Tablet industry.

Every company out there is about trying to sell as much of their product to as many people as they possibly can, and if it mean driving some out of business so be it. Sony is absolutely no different from MS in that regard
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Unless they are running a Linux OS they should remove Microsoft from that fantasy interview since they're still gaming on a Microsoft platform.
    Steam has been running on Linux now for a good couple months and only recently in open beta. The games on there actually do work on Linux and in some cases are native to Linux. Some notable games are: FTL, Team Fortress 2, Amnesia: Dark Descent, Trine 2, World of Goo, Killing Floor, Serious Sam 3, Aquaria, Red Orchestra, Penumbra: Black Plague and Penumbra: Overture. Valve are going to be bring Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 to Linux sometime this month and are working on bringing the Half-Life series across soon thereafter. The future is looking very bright in the Linux space now.

Also I'm sure you've heard of the Steam Box.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
    Sony created a new processor that was nothing more than what developers were eventually going to be dealing with on PCs in a couple of years with multi-core development. So the argument about the difficulty in developing for it was pointless by the 3rd year after it was released when companies were releasing Intel dual-core and quad-core PCs

You obviously know nothing about programming.

Cell is an In Order RISC processor.
    Intel and AMD CPUs are Out Of Order CISC processors.

If you think programming on both is even remotely similar then you clearly don't know what you're talking about. About the only thing they have in common are multiple cores, but the architecture inside the cores are entirely different, and I can assure you it takes a LOT more work to get things running on an In Order RISC processor.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Steam has been running on Linux now for a good couple months and only recently in open beta. The games on there actually do work on Linux and in some cases are native to Linux. Some notable games are: FTL, Team Fortress 2, Amnesia: Dark Descent, Trine 2, World of Goo, Killing Floor, Serious Sam 3, Aquaria, Red Orchestra, Penumbra: Black Plague and Penumbra: Overture. Valve are going to be bring Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 to Linux sometime this month and are working on bringing the Half-Life series across soon thereafter. The future is looking very bright in the Linux space now.

Also I'm sure you've heard of the Steam Box.

And just how many people do you personally know that have a Linux gaming PC in their homes?

I've been in IT since the mid 1990s, and to this day I only know three people with Linux machines in their home, and only one of those games on it, and he has a dual boot system so he can play Windows games that don't work in a Linux environment.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Linux is a bad mix for a SteamBox. Windows has all of the games, and I don't see why Valve would so deliberately avoid using Windows as its base.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    And just how many people do you personally know that have a Linux gaming PC in their homes?
    Did I say that I knew people that had dedicated gaming machines on Linux? No, all I said was that with Steam now coming to Linux things could change and the Steam Box is based on Linux. If the Steam Box takes off and games are developed for the PC what do you think will happen? Devs will start to develop with Linux also in mind and not just Windows, when that starts to happen then you will see people have dedicated gaming Linux setups.

Try thinking outside of the box and not just in front of your face.

Thread Information